00:00
00:00

♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜

3,085 Views | 289 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

♜ Welcome to the Newgrounds Reading Challenge 2019 ♜

Home of the Lit Fam - Newgrounds' biggest-brained book bandits, three years running.

It's 2019, you know what that means? It's time to set book goals in the future. January is a time for ambitions, and one of the most consistently popular new years' resolutions is the desire to read more. This thread is to help with that.

Last year we collectively read approx. 100,000 pages across 515 books. This year we're gonna do even better.

How it works:

1. Make a post stating how many books you're aiming to read.
  2. Read some books.
  3. Post about it and see your progress tracked in monthly updates.
  4. Reviews / summaries / comments / whatever are highly encouraged but not mandatory.
  5. Take part in our monthly book club if you think you're tough enough. Throw your name in and you might get to pick the first book.

Of course you're also free to make one-off posts on books you've read or just drop in for some discussion even if you're not planning to join the challenge. If you happen to have a Goodreads account consider sharing that too.

Guideline / FAQ:

• What counts as a book? Do comics / manga / audio books etc. count? The short answer is yes, anything you want to count, counts. You can limit yourself by only counting traditionally defined books or throw everything in, or you can assign custom values (counting three separate short stories as one "book," for example).

• Set an achievable goal. Hitting deadlines and making progress is an excellent motivator. Realizing you're never gonna make it is decidedly not.

Big serious rules:

1. Don't be a dongus
  2. Watch out for replicants
  3. ALWAYS remember to stay cozy (this is non-negotiable)

iu_1081_2680232.jpg

Links & resources:

Cool PopSci article, courtesy of @TopazAzul

Goodreads' top books of 2018

Reddit's top books of 2018

Reddit's favourite books in general

'The Essential Man's Library'

Project Gutenberg - Free E-Books

Open Library - more free ebooks

Amazon's Free E-Books

Your local library

Make sure to follow the thread so you can see everyone else's progress and feel like a horrible slacker.

Old threads: ★ 2017 ★ | ♥ 2018 ♥

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-02 00:50:36

So I hate to disappoint @jackho right off the bat BUT

I'm setting a lower goal for this year

BECAUSE

It's my last year of grad school. I'm working on my thesis. I know I'll be busy.

Set my goal to 25 books

BUT IMA TRY TO DO WAY BETTER K?

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-02 00:50:45

I got a few new books for christmas, one by del toro.

I'm still reading world war z, its pretty long. But after that I gotts read this tom clancy book, I am legend, bugles are silent, day by day Armageddon shattered hourglass and the entire H.P lovecraft collection

shitposting stops the pain

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-02 01:02:11

I'm in. I'll try to read two or three a month so, lets say around 30. I'm currently reading one about Batman I'm just finishing so I can be justified in lampooning it. Hate!

I know this is particular but does anyone else have the problem of both buying books and getting books from the library so then you feel obligated to read the library books first but then when you return them you just get more books and also have at no point stopped buying books?

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-02 03:53:03

Count me in this year as well. I set my goal to 12 books again, it was a hard enough challenge last year and I have some other hobbies that are very time consuming.

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-02 04:04:33

I am averse to setting a goal based on quantity.

"Compassion is the vice of kings: stamp down the wretched & the weak: this is the law of the strong: this is our law and the joy of the world."

BBS Signature

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-02 07:29:13

Put me down for 25. Since I probably only did half a dozen last year it's a decent step up.

Only counting actual books since I read a ton of comics anyway.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-02 07:30:53

Seeing as I didn't reach my goal of 10 books in the 2018 thread, I'll set my goal to 10 again this year.

I think last year I also said that I wanted to read through the Akira manga and never did, so I'm also going to set that as a secondary goal. Not sure how I want to it to count towards my score though, because I wasn't including comics in my total last year. The release of Akira that I have is split into 6 volumes and totals around 2,200 pages, so it's not a quick read. Might just count the entire thing as one book. We'll see.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-02 09:47:53

At 1/2/19 01:02 AM, stafffighter wrote: I know this is particular but does anyone else have the problem of both buying books and getting books from the library so then you feel obligated to read the library books first but then when you return them you just get more books and also have at no point stopped buying books?

I feel no obligation to read either first but I do have a problem with going to the library but then also going to the bookstore. I have a book problem. The end caps of books at Target always get me as well. I need to sell some of my books back to the bookstore because I just have stacks of books around my bed like literary landmines.

Also relevant pic is relevant.

iu_1096_1414829.jpg

At 1/2/19 04:04 AM, satanbrain wrote: I am averse to setting a goal based on quantity.

The number is just there to kinda keep you accountable to reading.

If I read several comic books or shorter, I usually count them together as one for the month.

You're not trying to beat everyone else, just yourself.

At 1/2/19 07:30 AM, Dean wrote: Seeing as I didn't reach my goal of 10 books in the 2018 thread, I'll set my goal to 10 again this year.

I believe in you

I think last year I also said that I wanted to read through the Akira manga and never did, so I'm also going to set that as a secondary goal. Not sure how I want to it to count towards my score though, because I wasn't including comics in my total last year. The release of Akira that I have is split into 6 volumes and totals around 2,200 pages, so it's not a quick read. Might just count the entire thing as one book. We'll see.

Holy crap 2,200 pages

I read a few 900 pages last year and thought I was something special

Jeeze

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-02 10:57:41

At 1/2/19 09:47 AM, SevenSeize wrote:

At 1/2/19 04:04 AM, satanbrain wrote: I am averse to setting a goal based on quantity.
If I read several comic books or shorter, I usually count them together as one for the month.

Why would you beat yourself? The number of books you read has no significance, only their quality and their impact.

"Compassion is the vice of kings: stamp down the wretched & the weak: this is the law of the strong: this is our law and the joy of the world."

BBS Signature

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-02 11:08:13

At 1/2/19 10:57 AM, satanbrain wrote:
At 1/2/19 09:47 AM, SevenSeize wrote:
Why would you beat yourself? The number of books you read has no significance, only their quality and their impact.

Then don't set a number goal.

We had someone do that last year I think.

Just post what you read as you read it.

BBS Signature

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-02 11:40:02

I feel this is kind of a pathetic goal, but I want to read 3 books this year...

I read 2 books last year and started about 10 pages each of another 2 books. If I could finish the 2 that I started and read the new one I got for Christmas I'd be pretty excited.

I guess reading for myself can be hard after staring at a computer screen for 8 hours a day and reading to the kiddo every night before bed.

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-02 11:41:59

At 1/2/19 11:40 AM, Fro wrote: I feel this is kind of a pathetic goal, but I want to read 3 books this year...

I read 2 books last year and started about 10 pages each of another 2 books. If I could finish the 2 that I started and read the new one I got for Christmas I'd be pretty excited.

I guess reading for myself can be hard after staring at a computer screen for 8 hours a day and reading to the kiddo every night before bed.

That's not pathetic at all. You only have time for what you have time for.

and reading to your kids is of vital importance---people buy flashcards and download apps and all this other crap---reading to your kids every night is one of the best things you can do to help foster and cultivate multiple forms of intelligence.

BBS Signature

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-02 11:46:29

Count me in. I'm going to aim for 6 and hope to beat that.

I spend most of my day reading stuff at work, but that doesn't count (but contributes to my lower reading desire).

Last year I think I got 5, and the year prior around 15. So I'll aim low and work to do better.

Audio Portal Moderator. Flag stolen content. #VAC12

BBS Signature

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-02 11:49:36

At 1/2/19 11:41 AM, SevenSeize wrote:

and reading to your kids is of vital importance---people buy flashcards and download apps and all this other crap---reading to your kids every night is one of the best things you can do to help foster and cultivate multiple forms of intelligence.

Luckily our 5 year old is starting to read on her own too. She picked up a book the other day and read about 10 pages before getting too frustrated to continue. We were really impressed that she just picked it up out of the blue, was able to sound out so many words, and read the majority of a book without any prompting or help.

I help her a ton with her homework, which is surprisingly a large amount for someone in kindergarten, but it was just really nice to see her putting it to use. I think it also helps that mom is a full time grad student and shes always has a book in front of her.

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-02 11:51:01

At 1/2/19 11:49 AM, Fro wrote:

Luckily our 5 year old is starting to read on her own too. She picked up a book the other day and read about 10 pages before getting too frustrated to continue. We were really impressed that she just picked it up out of the blue, was able to sound out so many words, and read the majority of a book without any prompting or help.

This is fabulous!

I help her a ton with her homework, which is surprisingly a large amount for someone in kindergarten, but it was just really nice to see her putting it to use. I think it also helps that mom is a full time grad student and shes always has a book in front of her.

Don't get me started on homework and the workload expected on children in primary school.

I don't wanna derail jackho's thread.

but. yeah.

Good for mom though!

BBS Signature

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-02 11:51:21

At 1/2/19 09:47 AM, SevenSeize wrote: Holy crap 2,200 pages

Keep in mind it's 2,200 pages of comic book, not full pages of text. If your 900 page books were all text, I'd call that a bigger achievement! So don't worry, you haven't been out-specialled!

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-02 11:55:11

At 1/2/19 11:51 AM, Dean wrote:
At 1/2/19 09:47 AM, SevenSeize wrote: Holy crap 2,200 pages
Keep in mind it's 2,200 pages of comic book, not full pages of text. If your 900 page books were all text, I'd call that a bigger achievement! So don't worry, you haven't been out-specialled!

It's not the size that counts right????

And I'm with @satanbrain in that I feel like we should be focusing on what we read and what it means to us, not how much.

My numerical goal I set is my personalized goal. I'd like to read 25 chapter books this year.

I'm sure I'll read other comics and such littered in there with it.

Oh, I believe in you----YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

BBS Signature

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-02 12:12:39

Joining up at the start this time around and following the thread.

I'll make my goal 12 for this year. 1 more than last year and 1 per month.

¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! Sig pic by Peregrinus ¥ ♡ ¥

¥ ♡ ¥ Blag [updated: 7/9/2018] ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-02 13:46:45

I would like to join again and lower my goal to something a little more reachable 30

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-02 14:16:30

I'm gonna try to do 12 again this year. I might do a few slightly harder books this time around, like the Inkheart trilogy.

"I'm not dabbing on my haters, I'm hiding my tears."

BBS Signature

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-02 16:42:42

my goals is 20 books for the year and im sad i cant be a dongus anymore

https://generated.inspirobot.me/a/qlPBXrQme5.jpg

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-02 19:33:50

Ok. First one down.

1. Batman: the ultimate evil.

This book was absolute horseshit. At first I was digging the ultramodern tech of 1995 when the book was written. I'm fascinated by these accidental time capsules that show everything we think is a magic trick will someday be digital watches.

What I found insulting was the story. In a nutshell, it's about Batman busting up a child sex ring. But the way they do this is to have him just now find out that's a thing and throughout the book have several social workers and police officers explain the ways of the criminal mind. They are explaining this TO BATMAN.

The disrespect for the character doesnt stop there. More than once they have Batman not kill someone but also not stop the person in the same room who doesnt have a problem killing. At the end he actually supplies the rebels in the country where the ring is based with military hardware. Batman is handing out guns.

Another problem, the title. Exploitation of children is absolutely evil, not arguing that. But in the context of the comics this book is based on Batman has stopped drug kingpins and cult leaders and plain old genocidal maniacs, all of which are a) things we totally have in the real world and b) really fucking evil. I'm just saying maybe we don't worry about ranking them.

If I had to guess, this is just a mystery writer who had a story about some social worker or journalist breaking up a child sex ring and dropped in the licenced character. This was long before comics were mainstream so I can't say I'm surprised.

I'm gonna go read something with unicorns now.

iu_1139_499990.jpg

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-02 21:08:40

I'm going to try to read 15 new books this year. Total serious about it this year.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-03 02:23:03

I'm going to be finishing MisBehaving by Richard Thaler, as well as Waterdeep Heist, a Dungeons and Dragons campaign book this month, both are carry overs from last year.

BBS Signature

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-03 02:23:28

First time trying this out, I definitely need to read more books.

I'm halfway through one that I've owned for years and read sporadically the last year.

I'm going to aim for 6 books in the year...I wanted to do once a month for a total of 12, but I fear that I might get burned out from the goal.

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-03 02:23:57

Setting my goal to 30 book for this year, I know I can hit 20 (2017) and I failed to hit 40 (2018), let's go for a median,

BBS Signature

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-03 09:58:14

Guys this speaks to me on a spiritual level

iu_1166_1414829.jpg

BBS Signature

Response to ♜ Reading Challenge 2019 ♜ 2019-01-03 10:42:35

Since I haven't read much in years I'm going to start small. Last year I only managed to read two books and that's mainly because I was hospitalized. Didn't have my sketchbooks or a computer, so I had all the time in the world. This year I'd like to aim for reading 3. I've only just gotten started on the first book. TBF I got started just before Christmas because I was hospitalized. It was a much shorter visit this time so I didn't get too far into it. Not sure if that should count towards 2019 or 2018. I technically didn't finish it by New Years.

Let's get on the board with my first one for the year.

1. Cat by Andrew Sinclair

A very by the numbers knockoff, "as gripping as Jaws" it ain't. The late 70s and early 80s saw a ton of killer animals books and films trying to cash in on the success of Benchley's novel, of varying quality, and Cat sits somewhere in the middle. Any scene with the titular beast in it is great, Sinclair doesn't do anything too remarkable but he ratchets up the tension nicely and some of the pictures he paints are pretty evocative; there's one scene in particular in which the master of a fox hunt confronts the cat with his whip while both are surrounded by the corpses of his hounds that the creature has just slaughtered that stuck with me.

Unfortunately whenever we cut away from the beast to focus on the human characters it stumbles somewhat. Our protagonist is a melodramatic toff and any time spent with him and his perfunctory love triangle and inheritance squabbles feels like it's only there to fill pages. It's a shame, as both the gamekeeper (obvious Quint stand in though he may be) and the policeman we follow in the early chapters would have made for more engaging leads.

On the whole it's not bad, it moves along at a brisk enough pace and for every chapter of this guy agonising over his bad back there's one of a panther fighting like 30 dogs at once or decapitating people with it's claws. You could certainly do better, but you could do worse too.

A wholly unremarkable start to 2019.

iu_1198_1212002.jpg

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature