00:00
00:00

ABFH Remix Contest! - Discussions

706 Views | 29 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hey everyone! This is the discussion thread for the A Breeze From Home remix contest. Please feel free to discuss or ask any questions you may have about the event.


When you're done with your submission, please head to the submission thread, and be sure to read the contest rules once more before submitting.


Happy remixing, and best of luck! I look forward to hearing from you all.


~ Troisnyx and the judges


~ Jessie

Listen to the best selections from Jessie Yun, who creates epic music with iPhone 5!

Response to ABFH Remix Contest! - Discussions 2019-01-01 14:57:25


Question: What key is A Breeze From Home in?

Response to ABFH Remix Contest! - Discussions 2019-01-01 16:13:39


At 1/1/19 02:57 PM, forger343 wrote: Question: What key is A Breeze From Home in?


A major.

Response to ABFH Remix Contest! - Discussions 2019-01-01 16:50:01


At 1/1/19 04:13 PM, Troisnyx wrote:
At 1/1/19 02:57 PM, forger343 wrote: Question: What key is A Breeze From Home in?
A major.


Alright! Thank you very much!

Response to ABFH Remix Contest! - Discussions 2019-01-02 18:20:43


I have received a couple PMs about the key and BPM. I've already mentioned the key in here (A major) -- it's 90BPM, and I remember this because I had to slow down the tempo of the original A Breeze From Home in order to do the guitar for this vocal version. Figured I'd leave this here so that this is clear with everyone~

Response to ABFH Remix Contest! - Discussions 2019-01-02 22:27:21


Alright, I've been eyeing this contest pretty much since New Year's Eve, and I think I want to go ahead and take a shot at it. Don't know if I will be able to complete it, since life stuff and other audio things like CHIPS, but hey, I'm willing to give it a try. :D


One question I did have before I go deep into making my entry: kind of a stupid question, but are we able to change the key of our entry from the original (A major) to, say, C major?


BBS Signature

Response to ABFH Remix Contest! - Discussions 2019-01-03 04:52:27


At 1/2/19 10:27 PM, SplatterDash wrote: Alright, I've been eyeing this contest pretty much since New Year's Eve, and I think I want to go ahead and take a shot at it. Don't know if I will be able to complete it, since life stuff and other audio things like CHIPS, but hey, I'm willing to give it a try. :D

One question I did have before I go deep into making my entry: kind of a stupid question, but are we able to change the key of our entry from the original (A major) to, say, C major?


I don't see why not. Key changes and general modulations are permissible. Even changing the key of the samples is allowed already, so I figured it'd be logical.

Response to ABFH Remix Contest! - Discussions 2019-01-03 17:09:41


At 1/3/19 04:52 AM, Troisnyx wrote:
At 1/2/19 10:27 PM, SplatterDash wrote: One question I did have before I go deep into making my entry: kind of a stupid question, but are we able to change the key of our entry from the original (A major) to, say, C major?
I don't see why not. Key changes and general modulations are permissible. Even changing the key of the samples is allowed already, so I figured it'd be logical.


Alright, thanks! Didn't see it mentioned in the rules so I figured I'd ask :p


BBS Signature

Response to ABFH Remix Contest! - Discussions 2019-01-11 14:07:43


Figured I'd ask how everyone's finding this so far. How're you all doing?

Response to ABFH Remix Contest! - Discussions 2019-01-11 17:00:38


At 1/11/19 02:07 PM, Troisnyx wrote: Figured I'd ask how everyone's finding this so far. How're you all doing?


I keep looking at myself in the mirror and asking myself how I'm going to do this. I hear what I want in my head but translating that is like using google translate so far. I'll see to it that justice is done to the song regardless of my mishaps. Even if it collapses my cellular structure, this will see the light of day. Just trying to do this one with a little more care because I like the song.


I'm really craving a cheese danish.


It's yo boy

BBS Signature

Response to ABFH Remix Contest! - Discussions 2019-01-11 17:26:07


At 1/11/19 05:00 PM, djt820 wrote:
At 1/11/19 02:07 PM, Troisnyx wrote: Figured I'd ask how everyone's finding this so far. How're you all doing?
I keep looking at myself in the mirror and asking myself how I'm going to do this. I hear what I want in my head but translating that is like using google translate so far. I'll see to it that justice is done to the song regardless of my mishaps. Even if it collapses my cellular structure, this will see the light of day. Just trying to do this one with a little more care because I like the song.

I'm really craving a cheese danish.


I feel your pain, both on translating mental images into tangible things, and cravings. Cheese danish sounds absolutely delish, but probs not good for someone who is attempting to diet, oof...

Response to ABFH Remix Contest! - Discussions 2019-01-11 19:14:53


At 1/11/19 05:26 PM, Troisnyx wrote:
At 1/11/19 05:00 PM, djt820 wrote:
At 1/11/19 02:07 PM, Troisnyx wrote: Figured I'd ask how everyone's finding this so far. How're you all doing?
I keep looking at myself in the mirror and asking myself how I'm going to do this. I hear what I want in my head but translating that is like using google translate so far. I'll see to it that justice is done to the song regardless of my mishaps. Even if it collapses my cellular structure, this will see the light of day. Just trying to do this one with a little more care because I like the song.

I'm really craving a cheese danish.
I feel your pain, both on translating mental images into tangible things, and cravings. Cheese danish sounds absolutely delish, but probs not good for someone who is attempting to diet, oof...


You can't spell diet with die. Just give into the temptations Satan sets before you. Cheese danishes are fucking delicious. I settled on cinnamon rolls, though.


It's yo boy

BBS Signature

Response to ABFH Remix Contest! - Discussions 2019-01-15 13:36:23


Phyrnna said on EBF discord server that covers are allowed. But are they going to be rated lower than the remixes or they will be treated equally?

Response to ABFH Remix Contest! - Discussions 2019-01-15 13:39:55


At 1/15/19 01:36 PM, Plantixx wrote: Phyrnna said on EBF discord server that covers are allowed. But are they going to be rated lower than the remixes or they will be treated equally?


If she allows them, then the only logical option in my mind is to treat them equally.

Response to ABFH Remix Contest! - Discussions 2019-01-15 14:54:23


Can you [contestants] get the instrumental version of the song?

Response to ABFH Remix Contest! - Discussions 2019-01-15 16:09:37


At 1/15/19 02:54 PM, Plantixx wrote: Can you [contestants] get the instrumental version of the song?


The instrumental, or all the bits that make it up, is in the stems in the Submissions thread; there are at least a few posts containing zipped folders of both WAVs and FLPs thereof.

Response to ABFH Remix Contest! - Discussions 2019-01-15 21:50:38


At 1/11/19 02:07 PM, Troisnyx wrote: Figured I'd ask how everyone's finding this so far. How're you all doing?


The song is coming along nicely, though I'm working on the mastering process which has been a nightmare to say the least. Bass isn't strong enough, have three different mastering presets for comparison, taking a few days off...


It sucks that the mastering process has been more challenging then creating the song so far. I might have to go back into the mix and adjust a few things for balance. Additionally, my phone headphone port isn't working well, so I can't listen to it in my car... Challenges.


I saw on the main thread that Covers are allow? Any reason why or just to garner more competition?

Response to ABFH Remix Contest! - Discussions 2019-01-16 03:05:39


At 1/15/19 09:50 PM, zelazon wrote: I saw on the main thread that Covers are allow? Any reason why or just to garner more competition?


I presume it is as you said, but it's only a presumption at this point.

Response to ABFH Remix Contest! - Discussions 2019-01-22 04:08:44


Only a week and two days to go; how's everyone doing?

Response to ABFH Remix Contest! - Discussions 2019-01-22 18:42:42


At 1/22/19 04:08 AM, Troisnyx wrote: Only a week and two days to go; how's everyone doing?


Well, now that I pretty much have nothing else to do DAW-wise, I think I can get out a good remix of ABFH. I already have an idea of what I want, and I have the box all set up, too. But my PC's audio jack is right now broken, to where the only way it recognizes my headphones is if I push then in to the computer, meaning my mixing and mastering may be less than what I can do.


Still, I'm gonna give it my all. What have I got to lose? :)


BBS Signature

Response to ABFH Remix Contest! - Discussions 2019-01-24 05:28:32


Week to go, everyone!

Response to ABFH Remix Contest! - Discussions 2019-01-30 02:31:25


At 1/11/19 02:07 PM, Troisnyx wrote: Figured I'd ask how everyone's finding this so far. How're you all doing?


Jumped on the bandwagon a bit late but I got a 3 min track cooked. Now I need to just sort out the levels and overall harmonics of the piece and I should have it up this evening or at the latest tomorrow evening :)


Want a review lemme know! Collab, remix, tips, whatever, just get in touch.

BBS Signature

Response to ABFH Remix Contest! - Discussions 2019-01-31 07:57:00


More than 6 submissions now...welp there goes my chance at getting frontpaged

Response to ABFH Remix Contest! - Discussions 2019-01-31 13:22:27


At 1/31/19 07:57 AM, DarkHorseOrchestra wrote: More than 6 submissions now...welp there goes my chance at getting frontpaged


I think you don't have to worry much atm.

Response to ABFH Remix Contest! - Discussions 2019-01-31 18:17:01


Ahhh, the last 45 minutes of submission (I believe it is lol). I wish good luck to those who are participating with me, and an early thank you to the judges who are about to take time listening to all of our entries. May the best remixer win :D


BBS Signature

Response to ABFH Remix Contest! - Discussions 2019-01-31 18:57:37


At 1/31/19 06:17 PM, SplatterDash wrote: Ahhh, the last 45 minutes of submission (I believe it is lol). I wish good luck to those who are participating with me, and an early thank you to the judges who are about to take time listening to all of our entries. May the best remixer win :D


Now five minutes D:!

Response to ABFH Remix Contest! - Discussions 2019-02-04 21:00:52


cricket cricket

Ahh, what a lovely evening. Wonder where everyone else has gone... :thinking:


BBS Signature

Response to ABFH Remix Contest! - Discussions 2019-02-04 21:36:55


At 2/4/19 09:00 PM, SplatterDash wrote: cricket cricket
Ahh, what a lovely evening. Wonder where everyone else has gone... :thinking:


We’re in the secret bunker filled with sincere submissions, listening and reviewing night by night. Hang on there!


~ Jessie

Listen to the best selections from Jessie Yun, who creates epic music with iPhone 5!

Response to ABFH Remix Contest! - Discussions 2019-02-04 22:20:27


At 2/4/19 09:36 PM, JessieYun wrote:
At 2/4/19 09:00 PM, SplatterDash wrote: cricket cricket
Ahh, what a lovely evening. Wonder where everyone else has gone... :thinking:
We’re in the secret bunker filled with sincere submissions, listening and reviewing night by night. Hang on there!


ahh, ok. Hope things are alright in there. I can wait for the results, after all the crickets kinda remind me of... home ;)


BBS Signature

Hey there folks!


First off, I want to thank everyone for their patience during the judging process (which is still ongoing, hopefully over soon).


I've completed my scoring, and will begin leaving reviews for all entrants shortly. As the judgement process is still going, I'm opting to hide my score (which is out of 10) in reviews until the rankings are announced, at which point I'll unmask them. Since half points don't translate to the voting system, I round up for physical scoring.


I would like to explain why, for my part at least, the entrants have been waiting a bit:


The primary issue on my end was my brand new laptop deciding to purge its operating system twice in a week. I've now corrected the machine (I hope...) and finally got around to giving all the entrants their well-earned time.


The second issue on my end is that I'm living A Breeze From Home in real time. My work surprised me with a last minute, month long business trip out of town (see "dependence on laptop"). Normally this isn't much of an issue, but I've now been away from my family for four of the past six months. Credit to @Phyrnna and @Troisnyx for nailing the loneliness of being away and returning home: the lyrics resonate a bit close to the heart for me. A few more weeks and I can settle back into my home routine again.


I do get to drive 8 hours home and back every weekend, so there's that at least.


Home // Oh I've been gone so long // Felt like forever

And now I see the green fields of home


Audio Portal moderator. Flag stolen content. Audio Portal Cleanup || Flash Portal Cleanup (EGB).

Primer: No Copyright Sound to learn about licensing.

BBS Signature