Hey everyone, Troisnyx here, joined by @Phyrnna to announce a new remix contest!
The song to be remixed is our collaboration for Epic Battle Fantasy 5 -- A Breeze From Home! We figured we'd do this small remix contest as a means of hyping up the game on Newgrounds, or letting people know about it who don't already know.
Before I begin, big thanks to
- @ChronoNomad and @ADR3-N for advising me on how a competition like this is best run,
- @AceMantra, @RealFaction and @squidly, among others (there are loads more elsewhere who aren't on Newgrounds), for encouragement,
- @NekoMika for ensuring that the top six of this contest can be frontpaged,
- @Phyrnna, @JessieYun, @AceMantra, @Peregrinus, @NekoMika, who stepped forward to be judges,
- @matt-likes-swords for providing the Steam keys, and for creating Epic Battle Fantasy 5 -- because this contest, and the song, would not have much context without it. Stellar game by the way;
- @Phyrnna for composing the song, reaching out to me to arrange it, and providing a code for the EBF5 OST and all around making this contest happen.
This contest ain't running with out without these amazing people. Please say hello and thank them when you get the chance, and check out the wonderful work they do!
There are two top prizes up for grabs:
- Champion gets a Steam key of Epic Battle Fantasy 5 AND a copy of the EBF5 Original Soundtrack!
- Runner-up gets a Steam key of Epic Battle Fantasy 5!
In addition, the top six ranked in this competition get a spot on the front page of Newgrounds!
I suppose a competition wouldn't run smoothly without rules, so here they are. Please read all of them. Failure to submit according to the guidelines will result in your track being disqualified.
- This is a remix contest, meaning you have to use the stems provided. They are available in unmixed WAVs, or FLP format for those who use FL Studio. They can be found here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kyM4jq1A57azYC-w--3IpA6uX6kWBFpn/view?usp=sharing
- Your finished piece needs to at least have sections that are recognisable as the original.
- Your submission MUST abide by Newgrounds audio rules. Yes, that means no nightcore, no vaporwave, no stolen audio, nothing that breaks the noise threshold, no overuse of loops, or anything that would otherwise fall foul of Newgrounds rules.
- Each contestant is permitted only one entry into this competition.
- All submissions must be posted in this thread. Any submissions which have not been posted in this thread will be disqualified.
- Outside of what is prohibited by the NG audio rules, any genre is permissible. Let your imagination run wild!
- Your finished piece must be between 2 minutes 30 seconds and 8 minutes in length. We can give or take five seconds either way, but that's as far as we will go.
- Since the prizes are individual prizes, unfortunately, no collaborations allowed. SOLO ENTRANTS ONLY.
- The contest begins on 1 January 2019 at 0:00 GMT (31 December 2018 at 19:00 EST, Newgrounds time). It ends on 31 January 2019 at 23:59 GMT (31 January 2019 at 18:59 EST). If you have started your track before the contest period or submitted after the contest closing time, your submission will not be counted for judging / you will be disqualified. (Yes, this means no revisiting old scraps etc.) We can allow a grace period for especially extenuating circumstances, but the judges have the final say.
- You can update or edit your submission so long as it falls within the contest period. No edits can be submitted after the contest closing time.
- Like with most other contests on Newgrounds, you may enlist people to record instruments for you, but you must be the sole composer of your track. However, the vocal track must be the one used in the original.
- If you have any questions or comments about the contest, please direct them to the discussion thread for the ABFH Remix Contest. This thread is for submissions only. If there is a rule that you all find particularly problematic, please raise it in the discussion thread and we will do our best to revise it.
- Any changes to the rules as a result of any discussions that would ensue from rule #10 will be mentioned here, in the submissions thread.
The contest begins on 1 January 2019 at 0:00 GMT (31 December 2018 at 19:00 EST, Newgrounds time).
It ends on 31 January 2019 at 23:59 GMT (31 January 2019 at 18:59 EST).
Your panel of judges for this competition are:
I have also enlisted @Peregrinus in reserve. If anyone of you would like to step in as a reserve judge in case anyone has to drop out, please PM me. However, if you do, you will evidently not be allowed to submit to this competition.
Judging period should take place within the first couple weeks of February 2019.
After the deadline, each judge will score each track by their own rubric. Our scores will be added together and divided by five, and the average will be each participant's score. A champion, runner-up and top six will be named.
We cannot guarantee that every submission will receive a review from at least one of us judges during the judging period, but we will most certainly endeavour to do so for as many tracks as we can.
As a side note, I have drawn the graphics for this contest, and will be drawing the forum signatures as well.
Happy remixing, and we wish you all the best of luck! <3