00:00
00:00

Do you even need paid stuff at all?

831 Views | 38 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

This is the question of 2019. 20 years ago you might have problem writing music with free stuff. But this era, it's impossible to not be able to write music with freeware. Then why do we still have scores of people struggle with it?

Takes FL Studio, it's a demo but because it's a demo, FL Studio is a marvel of free stuff. Everything on it can be used like full version. You can even save your project, only that you can't open it in demo. I made these two track (A and B) using only freeware on FL Studio, Embertone (Kontakt Player) and Spitfire Labs. @JessieYun made her music nearly entirely with freeware.

The problem with people not using freeware is not with the quality of those freeware, but with the desire to own something that they can brag about. Oh I bought this $500 software. Ah I got this $1000 gear, how do I use it? LMAO stop people, stop. Okay, you can brag about how you are a rich brat, or how you blown your rich parents' credit card, it ain't make a difference, you still make shitty music.

I've been saying this shit since my first days on NG. Tools don't make music, YOU make music.

Comments?

I have no one style.

- Oscar Peterson

Although I don’t create music with freeware NOW, but until a month ago I DID created music with ONLY freeware, and still it doesn’t make (almost) any difference with then and now.

~ Jessie

Listen to the best selections from Jessie Yun, who creates epic music with iPhone 5!

Response to Do you even need paid stuff at all? 2018-12-21 17:59:44

Golden coated poop is still poop, right? Bragging rights are for losers anyway :D

Free/paid/torrented/bragging rights, its up to the individual.

For anything "electronic" i agree you can do fine with freeware synth/fx, minus the daw (not everyone will be comfortable using free cakewalk, or fl demo).

But there is nothing wrong using either freeware or purchasing a softsynth if YOU see value in the product, if you sense its going to boost your creativity tenfold, or you simply like it for what it is!

In hindsight, I learned fl studio randomly turning knobs but came to a plateau with understanding sytrus. Buying massive and fm8 made me understand synthesis much better than sytrus did, and even if now i can do fine with stock plugins, it was worth the investment FOR ME.

A free alternative would have been to know more about newgrounds and ask my fellow musicians for tips and tricks.

its not very different from education.

You can be self taught but sometimes you should put your ego aside and seek a mentor.

In my case, massive/fm8 were my mentors and later some people here.

I can't speak for romplers and realistic sounds though. It seems there are more and more free (kontakt player!) libraries being released lately which is great.

For example i like trombone sound, that delicious fart noise.

I bought a trombone library coz i cant afford a real trombone, i cant play a trombone, i dont have time to learn how to play, and i never ever came close to synthetize a realistic one.

All i can do for now is put my best effort programming a pattern for my computer band to play. So i checked a few libraries, and the only one i liked was behind a paywall. No known alternatives.

From my uninformed point of view, "classical music in the box for free or cheap", there is still a long way to go.

But its definitely getting better with guys like @samulis ;)

Sure you will find geniuses here and there making kickass orchestral tunes with only sf2 sounds recorded in my toilet, but its the same as making a disney movie using MSpaint. Doable but worth the huge hassle?

Salut!

I create 3D art here, and you can listen to my album there! Comments/Feedback appreciated.

Merci! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Do you even need paid stuff at all? 2018-12-21 18:30:42

I often fantasize about torrenting nexus and omnisphere

Though I just spent my first monies on music last month and bought a $4 synth. Im never looking back.

Response to Do you even need paid stuff at all? 2018-12-21 19:52:28

Couldn't agree more. Ofc, there's are times where you have to spend money to improve your music, but a lot of beginners thinks spending money in itself will automatically make them improve

At 12/21/18 06:30 PM, DarkHorseOrchestra wrote: I often fantasize about torrenting nexus and omnisphere

Though I just spent my first monies on music last month and bought a $4 synth. Im never looking back.

Friendly advice: Even if you end up winning the lottery, I personally wouldn't waste my money on refx Nexus, as it basically just a collection of rather poor presets. It's pretty much a prime example on how things are popular just because it's popular. Especially if money is tight it's a much better idea to save money and get a synth like Massive or Serum, and Omnisphere is ofc amazing if you got the money.

New Track - Colour Color Farge Coleur

Need good feedback? Consider checking out the Review Request Club

Ectisity - Leader of the {Review Request Club}

BBS Signature

Response to Do you even need paid stuff at all? 2018-12-22 03:31:29

Yes, it's perfectly doable, and to a very fine degree indeed.

Mind you, my DAW was paid for back in the day but I still only use defaults and freebies. Only things I pay for are physical instruments because... I'd much rather those over VSTs, I pay much less by getting them secondhand, and keep compelling myself to learn a new instrument each time.

Response to Do you even need paid stuff at all? 2018-12-22 19:15:20

At 12/21/18 07:52 PM, Ectisity wrote: Couldn't agree more. Ofc, there's are times where you have to spend money to improve your music, but a lot of beginners thinks spending money in itself will automatically make them improve

At 12/21/18 06:30 PM, DarkHorseOrchestra wrote: I often fantasize about torrenting nexus and omnisphere

Friendly advice: Even if you end up winning the lottery, I personally wouldn't waste my money on refx Nexus, as it basically just a collection of rather poor presets. It's pretty much a prime example on how things are popular just because it's popular. Especially if money is tight it's a much better idea to save money and get a synth like Massive or Serum, and Omnisphere is ofc amazing if you got the money.

I know :[

Response to Do you even need paid stuff at all? 2018-12-23 21:25:37

It's not even worth torrenting them. 99.999% of those sounds can be found in your run-on-mill synth like Sytrus, Harmor, Harmless, Viking VK-1, Podoski, Tyrell, etc... and all of them are free synth.

I have no one style.

- Oscar Peterson

Response to Do you even need paid stuff at all? 2018-12-23 21:27:19

At 12/22/18 03:31 AM, Troisnyx wrote: Yes, it's perfectly doable, and to a very fine degree indeed.

Mind you, my DAW was paid for back in the day but I still only use defaults and freebies. Only things I pay for are physical instruments because... I'd much rather those over VSTs, I pay much less by getting them secondhand, and keep compelling myself to learn a new instrument each time.

Woops I forgot that you are another lady on NG who uses practically only free stuff.

I have no one style.

- Oscar Peterson

Response to Do you even need paid stuff at all? 2018-12-24 08:43:15

we need to pay for good service

Response to Do you even need paid stuff at all? 2018-12-24 12:24:02

At 12/24/18 08:43 AM, GeffRush wrote: we need to pay for good service

Spoken like a true capitalist. Oh wait, nah, you and I are broke ass musicians spending money we don't have, on things we don't need.

This ain't shopping mall, sonny. This is bullshit money you spent on bullshit things.

I have no one style.

- Oscar Peterson

Response to Do you even need paid stuff at all? 2018-12-24 12:28:35

I often suggest to people who have strong opinions about this sample set or that- a significant part in virtual orchestration is simply understanding your tools, what we call the 'idiomatic behavior'. Each sample library has its own strengths and weaknesses, and learning to lean into those strengths and away from those weaknesses is what separates a skilled virtual orchestrator from an amateur. Like any instrument, it must be practiced and studied for the best result. As Daru, who experienced my 'Deserted Island Contest' a few years back knows first-hand, sample count doesn't mean much if you're willing to be creative with what you have and adjust your style to fit best what tools/sounds you have available:

https://www.newgrounds.com/playlists/view/249a7aa6bb6b08db9aa1e7bece818e1b

That being said, although I have heard many pieces done with freeware which sounded better than some I've heard with $1000 libraries, I don't think it's possible to argue that freeware is perfect, especially at a professional level. It is, at best, an option for those who wish to avoid spending on what may be a hobby or the start of their professional career, or an artificial constraint for those looking for a creative challenge or a unique sound.

The reason in my mind why freeware sample libraries cannot substitute a commercial sample libraries, at least at a professional level, is the development budget available. As someone who has developed both, it's no different than the economy of a budget airline versus the lavishness of a business-class flight. For a developer to economically create a piece of freeware, then to maintain access to it through tens or hundreds of thousands of downloads, to provide demos and support, is no small feat. I make no secret of the fact that my main commercial library, VSCO 2 Pro, cost about $10,000 to produce, much less the cost of distribution, licensing, and of course the cost in hundreds of hours of time.

This cost came out of my own money and luckily there has been a sufficient demand for the product to the extent that I could recoup that 'investment' and make a fair amount of income to support myself and my future projects on the side. Even so, this budget is absolutely minuscule compared to recent top-tier commercial libraries; you would be lucky to hire a pro string ensemble for an day at a fancy studio for this amount. For a major commercial sample library today, tens or potentially even hundreds of thousands of dollars can go into a product because they have a good sense they will get their investment back on that, especially from top-tier commercial film/trailer composers who may have a budget of several thousand dollars a year so they can get the latest and greatest samples. Sales and 'sketching' or 'light' products then bring these samples to the average professional and hobbyists alike.

In addition, due to size, bandwidth is another limiting issue for freeware developers. A not-too-insignificant amount of that income from VSCO 2 Pro went into keeping the free VSCO 2 CE online until I moved it to GitHub. Bandwidth costs recently forced the developer of SSO, Mattias Westlund, to cease distributing that library from his server. Even if they can develop a product on a shoestring budget, self-distributing online is a serious issue. For some, it means dodging between various hosting platforms' free accounts, for others it means finding other sites wiling to mirror and host, for others still, options such as distributing via torrents and so on.

Synthesis and effects/utility plugins are a bit different, as they don't require the massive amount of recording and organization to pull off. Many fantastic synths and plugins are made by sole individuals today, while there are only a small handful of solo sample library developers out there; most are at least partnerships or small companies.

I should note, a new approach I've been trying recently is something I'm calling 'Versilian Community Sample Library'. Essentially with each new commercial product I make, as well as 'test' projects and libraries which are not sufficiently detailed/featured for a serious commercial release, a small portion of the samples get added to this library. It's already at 5 GB and I'll be continuing to add to it over time. I hope to encourage some other developers to contribute to it as well in the future-

https://github.com/sgossner/VCSL/tree/sfz

Combined with new promising developments in freeware such as those by Airwindows, Christoph Hart's HISE sampler, KVR's annual contests and so on, I think there's at least a decently bright future for those seeking free options. From the triangle of time, budget, and quality, there will always be some unusually kind and dedicated people willing to sacrifice an excess of time to make something budget-friendly and quality.

My Music - Virtual Instruments - About Me

Orchestral Composer, Sample Library Developer

BBS Signature

Response to Do you even need paid stuff at all? 2018-12-24 12:29:15

At 12/21/18 05:59 PM, Daru925 wrote: Sure you will find geniuses here and there making kickass orchestral tunes with only sf2 sounds recorded in my toilet, but its the same as making a disney movie using MSpaint. Doable but worth the huge hassle?

When you can build a house from mud, why don't you do it? It'd still serve the purpose of sheltering you from storm. Paid software are as cosmetic as the look of a house. And it's no hassle at all, you'll still spend the reasonable amounts of time on the project, sometime even quicker than, like says, recording a live orchestra session. Simplicity is art.

I have no one style.

- Oscar Peterson

Response to Do you even need paid stuff at all? 2018-12-24 12:57:38

I have to partially disagree. Yes, it's possible to make good music with only freeware, but without plugins and DAWs that cost money, the whole thing would crash because it's difficult to find the making of plugins and daws. In short , the money is needed for the developer to update the program. Also, serum.

Thanks, -̴͓̙͋̑͂̈́͊̑̈́V̴͕͈̻̭͔͌ã̶͎̲̰̚͘r̶͙̺̱͠s̷͕͈͖̜̅͐i̷̦̤͓̣̐̍̓̍́͘͝t̵͕͈̏̇́͝ÿ̴̨̞͎́̃͌̈

Response to Do you even need paid stuff at all? 2018-12-24 13:02:29

At 12/24/18 12:57 PM, Lot7even wrote: I have to partially disagree. Yes, it's possible to make good music with only freeware, but without plugins and DAWs that cost money, the whole thing would crash because it's difficult to find the making of plugins and daws. In short , the money is needed for the developer to update the program.

I've been making music on freeware for past years and I have zero crash LMAO.

Ubuntu, Tracktion / Ardour / FL Studio Demo, Kontakt Player (with Full Kontakt recently), LinuxSampler, Airwave (for Win VSTi bridge). My life is easy.

Also, serum.

Overrated. Harmor is where it at.

I have no one style.

- Oscar Peterson

Response to Do you even need paid stuff at all? 2018-12-25 02:34:50

Seeing as how someone made this masterpiece with a free program, I'd say no, you don't really need paid stuff. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Frb3XMQCbOE

Response to Do you even need paid stuff at all? 2018-12-25 11:00:41

At 12/25/18 02:34 AM, JUK3BOY wrote: Seeing as how someone made this masterpiece with a free program, I'd say no, you don't really need paid stuff. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Frb3XMQCbOE

This

I have no one style.

- Oscar Peterson

At 12/24/18 12:28 PM, samulis wrote: I should note, a new approach I've been trying recently is something I'm calling 'Versilian Community Sample Library'. Essentially with each new commercial product I make, as well as 'test' projects and libraries which are not sufficiently detailed/featured for a serious commercial release, a small portion of the samples get added to this library. It's already at 5 GB and I'll be continuing to add to it over time. I hope to encourage some other developers to contribute to it as well in the future-
https://github.com/sgossner/VCSL/tree/sfz

Wow, thanks for this! Its current downloading. Your entire post was actually really informative.

So to reply to the thread, in the FL Studio Owner's manual, it states that one can produce professional level quality music with everything that is already included with the DAW, and I started to realize over time that they were right.

Lately I've been only using stock effects on my sounds (except the Sausage Fattener, because Sausage Fattener) and the results have been great. Once I started understanding compression, delay and reverb better, the more I started applying my knowledge using the stock plugin effects and it even sounds better than my previous works where I used plugins that I paid for. It's the chef not the kitchen, the driver and not the car, etc.

Now as for synthesizers, I like to use Massive, Sylenth and Serum mainly. But there are plenty of good free ones that have accumulated over the years. Feeling like your progression as an artist is directly affected by not having the "next best thing" is a common thought process early on. I definitely fell for it and this is why this is a good thread for people to learn from =D

https://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/838133

my latest

Response to Do you even need paid stuff at all? 2019-01-06 20:59:43

At 12/21/18 10:03 AM, I0TA wrote: This is the question of 2019. 20 years ago you might have problem writing music with free stuff. But this era, it's impossible to not be able to write music with freeware. Then why do we still have scores of people struggle with it?

Takes FL Studio, it's a demo but because it's a demo, FL Studio is a marvel of free stuff. Everything on it can be used like full version. You can even save your project, only that you can't open it in demo. I made these two track (A and B) using only freeware on FL Studio, Embertone (Kontakt Player) and Spitfire Labs. @JessieYun made her music nearly entirely with freeware.

The problem with people not using freeware is not with the quality of those freeware, but with the desire to own something that they can brag about. Oh I bought this $500 software. Ah I got this $1000 gear, how do I use it? LMAO stop people, stop. Okay, you can brag about how you are a rich brat, or how you blown your rich parents' credit card, it ain't make a difference, you still make shitty music.

I've been saying this shit since my first days on NG. Tools don't make music, YOU make music.

Comments?

I agree with this. If someone knows what they're doing, then the process in the craft shouldn't really affect the result whether you're using freeware or not. I use mostly freeware for my songs/loops, and I'm too damn cheap to buy super expensive crap anyway. Kickstart was extremely cheap for sidechaining and I only bought that because I get super fed up relying on the automation and etc. to keep doing it every time LOL.

~tinkle hoy~

BBS Signature

Response to Do you even need paid stuff at all? 2019-01-07 05:03:17

I usually open my wallet up for certain products if there's no alternatives on the market and it's RRP (or sale price) is reasonable for what I'm getting. That would strictly be for unique gimmicks, or to drastically speed up my workflow.

Tend to make it a habit to search for free solutions to certain problems before doing anything else anyway since the freeware selection is enormous.

|| https://lichlord.bandcamp.com (Soul Consumption Manifest) || Hellektro & Dark Cinematic Musician ||

|| https://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/826825 (Album Stream) ||

BBS Signature

Response to Do you even need paid stuff at all? 2019-01-07 14:14:21

while i agree to an extent, using the free version of something like FL Studio where you can't save work forces you to work on 1 project on a time, and either do it in one sitting or leave your computer on 24/7. As someone who works on multiple projects at any given time this is simply not possible.

Another thing is that while free synths are great and you can get pretty far with them, my favorite synths and the ones that i always come back to (harmor is one of my favorites) were definetely worth the investment. And if you want to do anything with hardware (midi keyboards, modular) you're gonna need to pull out the wallet.

I saw someone talking about torrenting, but that's a bad idea if you plan on selling music using software you don't have the rights to.

i guess don't spend money if you don't know how to use what you're getting

BBS Signature

Response to Do you even need paid stuff at all? 2019-01-07 15:57:17

Do YoU EvEN PAy foR StuFF at ALL?

You don't necessarily need anything particular to make "music"

I know there are tons of sn00bs who eagerly accumulate debt over a 5k pop filter, but not spending money on other tech is a choice that may damper your musical exploration. At any rate, paying to learn is vastly more beneficial than paying to own.

BBS Signature

Response to Do you even need paid stuff at all? 2019-01-08 11:01:41

At 12/25/18 07:10 PM, Progenerate wrote: What if you brag about pirating products superior to freeware?

Then you are just a lamer and leecher. Mate, I came from the warez and demoscene. I used to spend hours days cracking shit like iLok and DRM for shit and giggle. Well the iLok shit technically buried my warez 'career', cos I got my ass sued.

Trust me, getting warez is too easy, using freeware is where the skill at.

I have no one style.

- Oscar Peterson

Response to Do you even need paid stuff at all? 2019-01-08 11:08:44

At 1/7/19 02:14 PM, AvapXia wrote: while i agree to an extent, using the free version of something like FL Studio where you can't save work forces you to work on 1 project on a time, and either do it in one sitting or leave your computer on 24/7. As someone who works on multiple projects at any given time this is simply not possible.

How about it's time you learn to finish one project first before moving on to the new one? I learn to churn out top quality stuff in short time. It's that easy.

Another thing is that while free synths are great and you can get pretty far with them, my favorite synths and the ones that i always come back to (harmor is one of my favorites) were definetely worth the investment.

I've just made 3 tracks in 3 days row entirely with freeware. And it's fucking pro. No need for paid shit.

And if you want to do anything with hardware (midi keyboards, modular) you're gonna need to pull out the wallet.

Bruh I use second hand stuff. Letgo, Kijiji and Craigslist. Cheap as fuck, still mint quality. Also there was a time I made music only on laptop inside my beat-up Civic on the freezing street. I was making kick ass music for TV shows while homeless. Y'all ain't got a fraction of my OG.

Don't spend stupid money if you want to properly make music.

I have no one style.

- Oscar Peterson

Response to Do you even need paid stuff at all? 2019-01-08 11:20:44

At 1/7/19 03:57 PM, ZipZipper wrote: You don't necessarily need anything particular to make "music"
I know there are tons of sn00bs who eagerly accumulate debt over a 5k pop filter, but not spending money on other tech is a choice that may damper your musical exploration. At any rate, paying to learn is vastly more beneficial than paying to own.

I've known and met people who used to make shit with freeware, that make better shit than any of us.

Example of them:

Thomas Bergersen when he was 16

H0ffman on 4 channel MOD

How about some Strobe on Milky or Rez & Kenet?

And shameless plug for myself

I have no one style.

- Oscar Peterson

Response to Do you even need paid stuff at all? 2019-01-08 17:38:31

At 1/8/19 11:08 AM, I0TA wrote:
At 1/7/19 02:14 PM, AvapXia wrote: while i agree to an extent, using the free version of something like FL Studio where you can't save work forces you to work on 1 project on a time, and either do it in one sitting or leave your computer on 24/7. As someone who works on multiple projects at any given time this is simply not possible.
How about it's time you learn to finish one project first before moving on to the new one? I learn to churn out top quality stuff in short time. It's that easy.

By only allowing yourself to work on one project at a time, you are severely limiting yourself for no reason. I have several project files of musical ideas and other random stuff that i can hop into at any time if i need them. All of those potential songs would be lost if i wasn't able to come back to saved work. Not to mention if you can't come back after the fact and you need to change something you're screwed.

Yeah it's possible to work on one song at a time, and a lot of my songs are made in 1 sitting, forcing yourself to do that is a needless creative restraint.

Another thing is that while free synths are great and you can get pretty far with them, my favorite synths and the ones that i always come back to (harmor is one of my favorites) were definetely worth the investment.
I've just made 3 tracks in 3 days row entirely with freeware. And it's fucking pro. No need for paid shit.

Wow, aren't you awesome.

And if you want to do anything with hardware (midi keyboards, modular) you're gonna need to pull out the wallet.
Bruh I use second hand stuff. Letgo, Kijiji and Craigslist. Cheap as fuck, still mint quality. Also there was a time I made music only on laptop inside my beat-up Civic on the freezing street. I was making kick ass music for TV shows while homeless. Y'all ain't got a fraction of my OG.

midi keyboards can be found for super cheap, but that still costs money; there is also a vast amount of hardware that you aren't gonna find second hand because nobody scrapped their $10,000 modular setup and sells it on craigslist for pocket change

Don't spend stupid money if you want to properly make music.

get over yourself and stop trying to flex in a newgrounds forum thread.

If you know how to use what you plan on getting, you're only going to get better using it. All the artists mentioned using freeware either used it when they were just starting and couldn't afford anything, or were doing it for the creative challenge. If you are doing professional music, you can't use freeware forever and eventually you will have to buy what you need to create what you are being hired to create. It's not impossible to do professional work using freeware, but you won't get very far.

BBS Signature

Response to Do you even need paid stuff at all? 2019-01-08 20:42:03

At 1/8/19 05:38 PM, AvapXia wrote: By only allowing yourself to work on one project at a time, you are severely limiting yourself for no reason. I have several project files of musical ideas and other random stuff that i can hop into at any time if i need them. All of those potential songs would be lost if i wasn't able to come back to saved work. Not to mention if you can't come back after the fact and you need to change something you're screwed.

But you ain't working on commission shit, and act like you have so much shit to work on. This thread is complaining about posers, and you fit the description.

Yeah it's possible to work on one song at a time, and a lot of my songs are made in 1 sitting, forcing yourself to do that is a needless creative restraint.

Dunno about that, since most of your stuff is ambient shit. Unless you spent 10 hours on 3xOSC creating a fucking pad, there is no reason for working on multiple projects and can't produce any result.

Wow, aren't you awesome.

midi keyboards can be found for super cheap, but that still costs money; there is also a vast amount of hardware that you aren't gonna find second hand because nobody scrapped their $10,000 modular setup and sells it on craigslist for pocket change

I have 3 stuff, midi, controller and tape machine, all purchased below $1000 from Craigslist and Kijiji.

I'm just teaching noobs how to be good, advice is free, don't like it? Bye.

If you know how to use what you plan on getting, you're only going to get better using it. All the artists mentioned using freeware either used it when they were just starting and couldn't afford anything, or were doing it for the creative challenge. If you are doing professional music, you can't use freeware forever and eventually you will have to buy what you need to create what you are being hired to create. It's not impossible to do professional work using freeware, but you won't get very far.

80% of my shit are freeware. I've written scores for games and movies, many used free instruments. I could've pointed out another person who used mostly freeware since you are too inept about shit, poser boy. Kevin MacLeod uses mostly free stuff for his shit that are free, and his music is heard across the internet.

I don't need to flex to a poser, I only flex when I need to.

I have no one style.

- Oscar Peterson

I have no one style.

- Oscar Peterson

This is my last response to this post, i don't really want to get into a shouting match over newgrounds.

At 1/8/19 08:42 PM, I0TA wrote:
At 1/8/19 05:38 PM, AvapXia wrote: By only allowing yourself to work on one project at a time, you are severely limiting yourself for no reason. I have several project files of musical ideas and other random stuff that i can hop into at any time if i need them. All of those potential songs would be lost if i wasn't able to come back to saved work. Not to mention if you can't come back after the fact and you need to change something you're screwed.
But you ain't working on commission shit, and act like you have so much shit to work on. This thread is complaining about posers, and you fit the description.

If you took a cursory glance at my profile you would see that i do work on commissions, but nice try though.

Dunno about that, since most of your stuff is ambient shit. Unless you spent 10 hours on 3xOSC creating a fucking pad, there is no reason for working on multiple projects and can't produce any result.

So you did look at my account? Hmmmm...

I can guarantee that every big artist out there has dozens of files worth of ideas and projects, so i'll just let you go call them posers too?

(Don't worry, i'm not grouping myself with them because i actually know my place)

Wow, aren't you awesome.
I have 3 stuff, midi, controller and tape machine, all purchased below $1000 from Craigslist and Kijiji.

Okay? I don't see your point. midi keyboards are cheap, i just said that.

Might i mention that not everyone can afford to drop hundreds of dollars for hardware, even if it doesn't seem like a lot to you.

I'm just teaching noobs how to be good, advice is free, don't like it? Bye.

I wasn't aware that selfless promotion and bragging counted as advice. It's a great way to get people to not listen to what you say though...

80% of my shit are freeware. I've written scores for games and movies, many used free instruments. I could've pointed out another person who used mostly freeware since you are too inept about shit, poser boy. Kevin MacLeod uses mostly free stuff for his shit that are free, and his music is heard across the internet.

I don't need to flex to a poser, I only flex when I need to.

Interesting statement coming from someone who literally replied to my comment saying "I've just made 3 tracks in 3 days row entirely with freeware. And it's fucking pro."

Just a recap in case you weren't paying attention to anything i said (which seems pretty likely at this point): I'm not saying that freeware is bad, or that buying synths makes you superior in any way to someone who doesn't. If you're doing music as a hobby you can stick to freeware. Pretty much 90% of the people who make a living off of music could use freeware. My point is that buying synths isn't always a bad idea, as long as you know how to use what you're buying and you learn from the experience.

You argue that people buy software to show off, then you go and act like a higher being because you use free stuff. You are doing the same thing you complain about, and it's just as annoying.

Like i said i'm not going to continue replying to this post, so there's no need for you to continue throwing unwarranted, baseless insults at me.

BBS Signature

Response to Do you even need paid stuff at all? 2019-01-10 01:44:59

Personally, I think there are a lot of interesting sounds that end up having little to no freeware available and the ones that are available can end up being really low quality. For example, I'm trying to find a god damn decent VST that does a believable-sounding pedal steel guitar yet the only decent thing I can find costs $300.

I've also had freeware really come in handy too. There's a really great free Minimoog VST that I used to use when I was on PC. Forget the name but it was great sounding and free.

On another note, if you suck, it won't matter what tool you have, you will suck until you don't suck anymore.

It's yo boy

BBS Signature