00:00
00:00
Upgrade Your Account!

Hey! To start this decade right, we believe Newgrounds should be ad-free for EVERYONE. For this to work, we need people who have the means to become paying supporters. For just $3 per month or $25 for the year, you can help this happen and get some nice perks!

For the month of April we have disabled ads on all E-M content. We need 44 people to reach our goal of 3,000 active supporters. If we hit that, we'll continue with a new goal in May!

Please check out our Supporter Upgrade and consider coming aboard!

ETMA Ratings Clarification

557 Views | 6 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

ETMA Ratings Clarification 2018-12-21 06:16:50

I seldom browse some of the new arts and sometimes stumble across some questionable ratings that the authors give. I was wondering if there is a detailed distinction between them; though I'm specifically looking for the between Mature and Adult. If there is a detailed breakdown, point me towards that please, because the site doesn't do a good job doing that.

From my current understanding, it goes something like:

Everyone: Non-offensive, non-suggestive content. No explicit language. Partial nudity is okay as long as it is justified and non-suggestive (such as swimsuits, with low emphasis on figure/sexual attraction).

Teens: May contain explicit language, suggestive content and mild violence. No genitalia can be shown.

The boundary between Mature and Adult in my mind goes something like this:

Mature: May contain very suggestive content. May contain nudity, as long as it is non-suggestive (of other activities such as sex). May contain mild gore.

Adult: Contains nudity or sex. Otherwise, may also have a large amount of gore(?). [Actually unsure about the gore part. I rarely see it enough to determine that, but I am guessing Excessive Gore gets Blammed more often; and I have no motivation to look through gore art and see their ratings]

I am wondering about the boundary between the two, since something like:

contains sexual intercourse, and is still rated Mature? (not to mention those undertones there that are questionable already)

I have otherwise also seen several other examples of nudity within Mature that is much more suggestive. However, this may actually be incorrect and Mature shouldn't have casual nudity either, and Everyone shouldn't have partial nudity or suggestive clothing (such as tank tops, cleavage and suggestive posing). I just want clarification so I can report these instances as required.

Response to ETMA Ratings Clarification 2018-12-21 06:46:03

The upload form contains a field for rating-dependent criteria (nudity, violence, explicit audio/text, and adult themes), where for each criterion the uploader has to specify between "none", "some" and "lots". This information is then assembled into an ETMA rating, although that is not transparent to the casual viewer. Which is also why the whole process is subject to change.

The moderators have tools to change ratings, as far as I know, so if you feel something is misrated, feel free to message one of them.

You can't fight for peace. If you fight, there ain't peace. NO, I'M NOT AMERICAN!

On every ship that floats and sails, there's someone who the captain nails.

Sig by Decky.

BBS Signature

99% of the time M is SFW, but sometimes it's people fucking. would be great if I could browse NG in a work-safe mode. I come here a lot to play experimental games, usually in public. so it'd be great to not have tits everywhere.

This seems pretty adult

Response to ETMA Ratings Clarification 2018-12-21 17:26:51

As far as Newgrounds ratings go, ...

E - Worksafe. Shouldn't have anything objectionable for the vast majority of workplaces, although probably not worksafe if your workplace is a church or otherwise highly religious and with increased strictness. Cartoonish violence allowed.

T - Probably worksafe. May contain more violence and some gore but not excessive gore.

M - All the gore you want. All the violence you want as well. May contain censored nudity and/or implied sex/nudity as long as you don't actually see any genitals or female nipples in a sexual context. A nonsexual context may be allowed.

A - Full on hardcore sex as well as all the gore and violence. Anything legal goes.

So since that Shadling submission does not actually show any penises or vaginas or nipples and much of the questionable content is of an implied, although strongly implied, nature, it is rated M instead of A.

@GeoKureli gave a good example of a misrated submission. That submission by Yuuko is rated M but should be rated A as there is full nudity and in a sexual context.

Also, bikinis and such are not partial nudity. Unless maybe you live in a majority Muslim country or something. In which case you probably shouldn't be browsing Newgrounds as it's probably not legal in those countries. How puritanical do you have to be to consider bikinis nudity? Go to any beach in the US and there are people of all ages in swimsuits, including bikinis and they don't restrict this to just age 18 and up. It's considered normal.

At 12/21/18 05:26 PM, NeonSpider wrote: How puritanical do you have to be to consider bikinis nudity?

At 12/21/18 06:16 AM, awakeningtt wrote: Everyone shouldn't have partial nudity or suggestive clothing

He said suggestive clothing shouldn't be considered E. and that he's just looking for guidelines to know when he's reporting correctly. Easy there, spider.

Not exactly family friendly. I'd say it can stay at E, but it's really pushing it, since it's sexually suggestive

If it popped up on my twitter feed while phone browsing on public trans, Id look around to see if anyone saw me looking at it.

Sorry that i keep using Feguimel as a reference, it's neat stuff

Response to ETMA Ratings Clarification 2018-12-21 17:43:32

At 12/21/18 05:26 PM, NeonSpider wrote: @GeoKureli gave a good example of a misrated submission. That submission by Yuuko is rated M but should be rated A as there is full nudity and in a sexual context.

My European sensibilities would still find that non-sexual, otherwise I would agree with how you’ve classed Mature and Adult.

I’ve seen some pics with cum-filled vaginas rated M because they’re partially clothed. That’s obviously wrong.

Therefore I encourage people to have a good hard look at the ratings on their pics, and if they feel it is wrong to please fiddle with the settings accordingly. A lot of the reports are for miscategorised pieces at the moment, and many of these aren’t borderline cases.

BBS Signature

I'd say you pretty much just made our best and most detailed breakdown yet. :) This has been talked about in the past, but so far we do lack a good guide. Most recent discussion: https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1436884

I've pretty much come to the same conclusions as you have. And @NeonSpider, even more concise! Nice. Only thing I don't agree with there is your M rating guess regarding gore, as I don't think excessive gore would be simply M. Especially in a sexual context, even if it's implied or not all clearly visible. Generally I'd say any violence in a sexual context: A.

Regarding Shad's example, I suppose: no visual sexual intercourse makes it possible to rate lower? As in no genetalia. Not a focus. Not sexual either so much as just used to progress the overall story, even if he does use that particular scene as the thumb too. Definitely an edge case.

Incorrect ratings do occur all the time, so feel free to report ones you think are wrong. If you don't want to blow the whistle directly you can always reach out to a mod and ask them, they're probably pretty good at knowing what falls into what category here: https://www.newgrounds.com/wiki/help-information/site-moderation

At 12/21/18 02:57 PM, GeoKureli wrote: This seems pretty adult
//www.newgrounds.com/art/view/feguimel/yuuko

Seems like the rating's alright on that one to me. It is partial nudity, and pin-up style rather than directly sexual. If you do want to browse only SFW submissions I don't think having the M rating enabled is the best bet btw. M really isn't SFW, though I guess that depends on what kind of work you have...

At 12/21/18 05:26 PM, NeonSpider wrote: @GeoKureli gave a good example of a misrated submission. That submission by Yuuko is rated M but should be rated A as there is full nudity and in a sexual context.

I'm not really seeing the sexual context though. :/ And notice there is a veil on the most intimate part.

At 12/21/18 05:40 PM, GeoKureli wrote: Not exactly family friendly. I'd say it can stay at E, but it's really pushing it, since it's sexually suggestive

On this one I agree though, definitely seems like a T.

Check out the NRC / Hexa #58 (Mar)

BBS Signature