00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

GodtyGoddessGoat just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Update: Commissions, Tags, Projects

8,311 Views | 81 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Update: Commissions, Tags, Projects 2018-12-14 17:29:21

At 12/14/18 08:22 AM, tobufi wrote: Confused about your wording, so you're telling me I can upload an mp4 on newgrounds?

Yes, you can do it. Be happy and rejoice.

At 12/14/18 09:30 AM, Fro wrote: I was interested in how you were doing on the yearly supporter goal now that you've made the last couple of months.

The goal should be close than ever.

At 12/14/18 11:07 AM, StickmanMarkinson wrote: Wow so congrats on turning these old files into MP4 files. So what happen to old flash games, especially with medals. Is there some progress going on with that?

All the games should keep their medals, as long as they are working.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Update: Commissions, Tags, Projects 2018-12-14 20:29:15

At 12/14/18 06:42 PM, JosephStarr wrote: Would it be possible to filter out tags?
Kind-of like a tag blacklist, I feel that it would be even more efficient than hiding an entire users content.
(For example, we could filter out tags like "nsfw", "boobs", ect...becuase that sort of stuff shows up on T rated art as-well.)

This is on our list but unlikely soon. We intend to run all our listings through our elastic cluster at which point we can do fancier filtering but it will be one area at a time - likely art first since that’s where the strongest demand has been.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Update: Commissions, Tags, Projects 2018-12-14 20:51:26

At 12/14/18 07:36 AM, TomFulp wrote: The Smash Collab has an interactive menu by @IvanAlmighty but NG didn't have an option to publish HTML5 projects as movies, so that was changed in recent weeks (invite only).

You're kidding, right? How are you supposed to get "invited" into being allowed to upload HTML5 videos? This isn't an extension of the scouting system is it?

Response to Update: Commissions, Tags, Projects 2018-12-14 21:05:26

At 12/14/18 07:36 AM, TomFulp wrote: When you visit Metal Gear Awesome do you see a video player with scrubber or the SWF file with a play button title screen? If you see an SWF, can you confirm the box to default to SWF isn't checked under your display options?

I see the SWF with the play button and my display options look like this:

Update: Commissions, Tags, Projects

Response to Update: Commissions, Tags, Projects 2018-12-15 01:08:35

Glad the goal is being increased appropriately.

My player is defaulted on MP4 yet still plays the SWF

Lastly I'd like it if in the user search you could search by school. It's neat to discover your classmates on the site as I recently have by sheer coincidence being marked with "SCAD" under education on their profiles.

At 12/14/18 07:36 AM, TomFulp wrote:

"The update for this went live yesterday but this morning I'm noticing my account defaults to SWF over MP4 despite my Display Options so there is still a quirk in there. I can't recreate it with an alt or while logged out so I'm curious, is anyone else experiencing this? When you visit Metal Gear Awesome do you see a video player with scrubber or the SWF file with a play button title screen? If you see an SWF, can you confirm the box to default to SWF isn't checked under your display options?"

I clicked on Metal Gear Awesome, defaulted to SWF for me, double checked my display options to make sure default to SWF is unchecked, so no quirk for me at least

Response to Update: Commissions, Tags, Projects 2018-12-15 04:41:52

The video player works as expected for me.
"Default to original Flash version" is un-ticked.
No obsolete SWF files in sight, they don't play for me anyway :-)

BBS Signature

Response to Update: Commissions, Tags, Projects 2018-12-15 07:44:02

At 12/14/18 08:51 PM, Psychopath wrote: You're kidding, right? How are you supposed to get "invited" into being allowed to upload HTML5 videos? This isn't an extension of the scouting system is it?

I'm assuming it's just a test phase with a select few people before it's rolled out to everybody.

At 12/15/18 01:08 AM, BrandyBuizel wrote: Lastly I'd like it if in the user search you could search by school. It's neat to discover your classmates on the site as I recently have by sheer coincidence being marked with "SCAD" under education on their profiles.

And yeah this would be pretty cool! So many people typing in random things in that field too... would be fun to see if anyone else types that same random. Not the most important feature but...

The latest: Hexa #95 (Mar)

BBS Signature

Response to Update: Commissions, Tags, Projects 2018-12-15 08:08:12

At 12/15/18 01:08 AM, BrandyBuizel wrote: Glad the goal is being increased appropriately.

My player is defaulted on MP4 yet still plays the SWF

Lastly I'd like it if in the user search you could search by school. It's neat to discover your classmates on the site as I recently have by sheer coincidence being marked with "SCAD" under education on their profiles.

We had a really fancy school system in mind long ago where you could even rank colleges by their output on NG. One of those things that got left behind in 2012 and will hopefully get revisited some day.

BBS Signature

Response to Update: Commissions, Tags, Projects 2018-12-15 08:11:26

Something that needs cracked down on heavily is the amount of artists tagging their art as being for "Everyone" when it's got lots of nudity. Anytime I filter out what I think is all of the NSFW content half the art left is still NSFW.

Tale of Enki: Pilgrimage, an RPG with a few twists. Available to buy it on Steam here!

BBS Signature

Response to Update: Commissions, Tags, Projects 2018-12-15 09:05:45

I'm also seeing the SWF version, and I have "Default to original Flash version of movies when available" unchecked in my settings.

Response to Update: Commissions, Tags, Projects 2018-12-15 14:07:25

At 12/15/18 09:05 AM, Bindy wrote: I'm also seeing the SWF version, and I have "Default to original Flash version of movies when available" unchecked in my settings.

This quirk will likely remain until after the new forums launched - need to launch them a asap to have some debug time before the holidays so other stuff will be getting looked at afterwards.

BBS Signature

Response to Update: Commissions, Tags, Projects 2018-12-15 14:15:44

At 12/15/18 01:51 PM, Fungasm wrote: Hey Tom, is there any way to hide who you follow, favorite, comment on, etc from the people following you, so it doesn't show up in their feeds? (ex "Fungasm followed ___") Like if I favorite something NSFW but don't want others to see that I have. etc. I know there's a thing to separate that in the art portal when viewing it, but would there be a way to segregate it site-wide. Like maybe a slider that mixes in all adult content, etc. I know that Furaffinity does that with a big "View NSFW" button on the main page. that would toggle on visibility of NSFW art, movies, comments, etc. for respect of people who don't want to see NSFW stuff.

We plan to add ratings filters to the feed, so we could filter out follow events that involve adult content as part of that.

A number of people have asked about having private favorites lists and I think the simplest thing we could do there would probably be the option to make a playlist private, so you could create as many private playlists as you want and catalog all sorts of content in them. The downside is the content would track less total faves but it would be a big change to that system to mix public and private faves.

Also, I had a pal ask me if the site has any plans for any kind of streaming service like picarto does, or twitch does for art streams.

We had set up a streaming server many years ago and were planning to experiment in this space, at a time when it wasn't even clear if artists would really want to stream. That all went away during our downsizing years when we were minimizing rackspace. Nowadays it has renewed potential but not sure if/when we'll dive in. If we DID do streaming, I think it would be very selective due to the increasing copyright issues that come up when anyone can broadcast anything at any time. We'd have to be sure that anyone approved for streaming has agreed to not listen to unlicensed music in their stream, for example.

BBS Signature

Response to Update: Commissions, Tags, Projects 2018-12-15 14:34:55

At 12/14/18 02:12 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 12/14/18 02:02 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: Awesome news overall! Regarding the hyphen/underscore thing I personally prefer hyphens. That's how things work online to me, it mimics the way you write everything naturally with URLs and such. Underscores seemed more common back in the day, with files as well, but I thought the balance shifted. Interesting to hear that's actually common practice on certain other sites...
I agree on this one. I also tend to think we should avoid syntax that isn't good as a URL. I know you can't have an underscore in a domain prefix and when I searched on it found this recommendation:

"The recurring question in SEO URLs is whether to use a hyphen, or dash, (these-are-hyphens) or an underscore (these_are_underscores) to separate your words. ... The short answer is that you should use a hyphen for your SEO URLs. Google treats a hyphen as a word separator, but does not treat an underscore that way."

So if Google (as much as I like to rag on Google nowadays) considers hyphen to be the way to separate words, I think we're right sticking with hyphens. I do see how underscore adds some flexibility with hyphenated names but meh.

Hrm... welp, if that's the way it is, I guess I'd better adapt. Only experience I've ever had with tagging was in boorus, and there it was the underscore replacing spaces. (although when the tags are presented there, the underscores are replaced back with spaces; keeping the underscores only visible when writing out the tags into the search box.

Artist, Writer, VA & Aspiring Best Buddy! ^u^

BBS Signature

Response to Update: Commissions, Tags, Projects 2018-12-15 15:28:29

At 12/15/18 02:32 PM, Fungasm wrote: Gotcha. Maybe the audio portal can somehow be worked into the streaming to help avoid any of those music copyright issues.

Yeah that'd give artists some extra exposure too! Sounds ideal.

At 12/15/18 02:34 PM, Vinsionary wrote: Hrm... welp, if that's the way it is, I guess I'd better adapt. Only experience I've ever had with tagging was in boorus, and there it was the underscore replacing spaces. (although when the tags are presented there, the underscores are replaced back with spaces; keeping the underscores only visible when writing out the tags into the search box.

Well it doesn't seem like that big a change right? Can still type in tags with spaces and they'll be replaced with whatever characters each individual site decides to use. I really wonder why they opted for underscores though. Did they go through the same stages of contemplation, is it old software, does it just look a lot more like a space... curious...

BBS Signature

Response to Update: Commissions, Tags, Projects 2018-12-15 15:29:34

In less than a month after the tumblrapocalypse, you guys are already making this a more comfortable place for artists with multiple improvements. Thank you for being a save haven for creators, newgrounds was always known as one of the cradles of original content of the internet.

I know the team is probably busy with the mobile thing, but two things I really miss when uploading art is the ability to upload sets of pictures in a single submission(multiple pieces that belong to a same thing, like a comic, for example) and to upload pictures without a Title. For my personal use, that would be ideal.

_(:3」∠)_

Response to Update: Commissions, Tags, Projects 2018-12-15 15:39:07

At 12/15/18 03:28 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: I really wonder why they opted for underscores though. Did they go through the same stages of contemplation, is it old software, does it just look a lot more like a space... curious...

Well, on some boorus the tags are separated in the search box using the space key, and some tags are spelled out containing a hyphen. Taking the aesthetic choice of making listed tags show spaces instead of the spacing key of choice, the end result becomes cleaner utilizing underscores instead of hyphens, as the latter could result in hyphens being replaced with spaces when it shouldn't. The downside is less pretty links, but for boorus the priority is always the site aesthetic. (and honestly the ugly links never really got in the way, imo)

Artist, Writer, VA & Aspiring Best Buddy! ^u^

BBS Signature

Response to Update: Commissions, Tags, Projects 2018-12-15 16:08:52

At 12/14/18 07:36 AM, TomFulp wrote:

Jim made a fix in tag search where for example if you search Himiko Toga, results now include items tagged Himiko-Toga, which weren't showing up before (Example). Whoops!

Good taste in waifu's Tom, If I could vote on a user specifically, I'd give you 5 stars.

At 12/15/18 03:39 PM, Vinsionary wrote: Well, on some boorus the tags are separated in the search box using the space key, and some tags are spelled out containing a hyphen. Taking the aesthetic choice of making listed tags show spaces instead of the spacing key of choice, the end result becomes cleaner utilizing underscores instead of hyphens, as the latter could result in hyphens being replaced with spaces when it shouldn't. The downside is less pretty links, but for boorus the priority is always the site aesthetic. (and honestly the ugly links never really got in the way, imo)

Ah, well that makes sense then. Another downside probably not as great search ranking outside the site though, but yeah, bit more to take into account between platforms then. Mainly not to use hyphens in tags here, then. Seems simpler overall not having to think about the underscores at all otherwise.

BBS Signature

Response to Update: Commissions, Tags, Projects 2018-12-15 16:42:13

At 12/15/18 03:29 PM, scasdog wrote: I know the team is probably busy with the mobile thing, but two things I really miss when uploading art is the ability to upload sets of pictures in a single submission(multiple pieces that belong to a same thing, like a comic, for example) and to upload pictures without a Title. For my personal use, that would be ideal.

Seems multiple images may be in the works too! A lot of users have been suggesting that; staff response seems positive. Regarding titles though, seems a bit strange you'd want to upload something without one. If you put your work in a real gallery somewhere you'll need to name each one right? To me lack of title makes something a bit less wholesome; complete. Like it's part of a stream more than something that stands on its own. It gives the artwork context IMO.

BBS Signature

Response to Update: Commissions, Tags, Projects 2018-12-15 17:45:11

At 12/14/18 11:21 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 12/14/18 11:07 AM, StickmanMarkinson wrote: Wow so congrats on turning these old files into MP4 files. So what happen to old flash games, especially with medals. Is there some progress going on with that?
Games will either be browser-based emulation or a desktop player. If we had managed to get Nightmare Cops out by now I would have been investing in browser-based emulation development already but as it stands it's more of a wait and see project.

Okay the ‘wait and see’ project huh? So in the desktop player, (I know that this is too far in development to ask with a little sense) but will it be able to sync NG game medals from this program, after playing it in the program, to the NG profile synced in the Newgrounds website? Can it also be able, to play the old game files from the website as well, especially the files with no medals in it? Would that be possible in the future?

SM/AMA/FAQs (Now both are ready, well sort of) My shortcuts

BBS Signature

At 12/15/18 04:42 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: Regarding titles though, seems a bit strange you'd want to upload something without one.

Is it tho? if you think about it, all art uploaded to tumblr and twitter has no title, sometimes not even descriptions. What's strange about it?
I think it's perfectly normal for people to don't have a title to their drawings. Multiple times when talking to artists about pixiv in comparison to twitter/tumblr, one recurring complaint was not being able to come up with a title.

Response to Update: Commissions, Tags, Projects 2018-12-16 04:18:22

Nice to see some new additions and changes, hope to see a great new year blessed with lots of new artists.

~X~

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

[] The Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] COMIC >> WAYNES WORLD

BBS Signature

At 12/15/18 07:25 PM, scasdog wrote: Is it tho? if you think about it, all art uploaded to tumblr and twitter has no title, sometimes not even descriptions. What's strange about it?
I think it's perfectly normal for people to don't have a title to their drawings. Multiple times when talking to artists about pixiv in comparison to twitter/tumblr, one recurring complaint was not being able to come up with a title.

But that'd be like writing a book with no title to me. It just won't seem complete until you have one. Might require some extra effort to brainstorm a good one, but to me that's part of the process, just like any other part of the polishing you put into it. The title's what explains the art. Or clues. Or gives a glimpse. That in some way conveys the artist's intention, or theme, or reference.

I know Twitter and Tumblr don't work the same way, but they are more like streams aren't they? Where you don't focus so much on individual pieces but just go with the flow. More like a show of progress and inspiration than a real showcase where you can go in and study stuff in detail. Though I know this place is a bit of both worlds.

BBS Signature

Response to Update: Commissions, Tags, Projects 2018-12-16 10:57:56

Hello, I don't know if I can ask things around here, but I'd like a way to warn people that you are online doing a livestream on Picarto, Piczel or even on Twitch.

Thanks!

At 12/16/18 08:34 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: But that'd be like writing a book with no title to me. It just won't seem complete until you have one. Might require some extra effort to brainstorm a good one, but to me that's part of the process, just like any other part of the polishing you put into it. The title's what explains the art. Or clues. Or gives a glimpse. That in some way conveys the artist's intention, or theme, or reference.

I understand your point and I get what you mean, even agree to some extent, but that's just personal opinion.

The fact is most artists don't title their drawings and I don't see the point of forcing them to do so. If the title gives meaning or makes it complete it's completely unrelated, as right now artists are forced to do so, instead of being given the choice.

At 12/16/18 08:34 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: I know Twitter and Tumblr don't work the same way, but they are more like streams aren't they? Where you don't focus so much on individual pieces but just go with the flow. More like a show of progress and inspiration than a real showcase where you can go in and study stuff in detail.

It's up to the artist to treat their twitter/tumblr the way they prefer. Some artists treat it like streams, others make a "real showcase where you can go in and study stuff in detail".
The point is artists treat and like to share their stuff in their own way, each with their own rhythm and approach. Forcing them into a specific streamline of sharing is exactly what drove lots of people off deviantart.

Response to Update: Commissions, Tags, Projects 2018-12-16 13:14:07

At 12/16/18 11:17 AM, scasdog wrote: The point is artists treat and like to share their stuff in their own way, each with their own rhythm and approach. Forcing them into a specific streamline of sharing is exactly what drove lots of people off deviantart.

Word.

Response to Update: Commissions, Tags, Projects 2018-12-16 15:14:37

Amazing news!
It's galvanizing to see Newgrounds working at full engine!

Awsome updates...just noticed the commission function myself and wondered about it :)

Have noticed myself checking out Newgrounds more regular recently.
A Trial Mode to check out the Chat for a specific duration (24 active hours or so) would be interesting.

Maybe participating Pixel Day :) will see, would be fun!

At 12/14/18 07:36 AM, TomFulp wrote: If you see an SWF

Tom, I did a survey, you're weird for saying "an SWF" instead of "a SWF" pronounced swiff. I just wanted you to know that