00:00
00:00

Are you Open for Commissions?

7,631 Views | 147 Replies
Respond to this Topic

At 12/13/18 03:20 AM, liljim wrote: Like I said, it's something we plan to do, it's been on the agenda for over a year already.

Hmm, I still have some questions regarding the complications that come with static pages. What are the exact problems that arise as a result of this? I'm guessing it makes dynamic filtering of content difficult? In the games/movies portal for example: would filtering out all adult material leave the purple list with blank spaces? Or maybe it's hard to remove things in general? For instance, going through some audio portal listings a while ago resulted me in finding a couple of songs that had supposedly been removed. I'm guessing it's these types of problems that occur because of static pages?

These are changes we intend to make for audio, games and movies too. Just got some nuts to crack on how best to present the data, particularly in cases where you have one author uploading multiple entries - we don't want to handicap them by hiding items, but at the same time it's unfair on others if they swamp the listings, particularly on un-ranked data like "most recent".

Bulk uploads don't seem very tricky when you think of every portal as a grid. Every upload is its own little box therein and space within the grid is limited. When someone uploads in bulks, they claim space that could potentially belong to other users. In other words, they're robbing views from other users. The way I see it there's three options:
1. Leave it like this. Bulk uploads will hog the portal and rob other users from potential views.
2. All bulk uploads will show as a single box in the grid, robbing potential views from the uploader.
3. Bulk uploads are handled in a queue event and will show up in the portal after a certain amount of time (could be every 10 minutes or something else like once a new page has been created within the portal. Prior to this it will have shown up on the creator's profile and feedsystem of their fans). There is also the possibility to favor NG supporters by having them skip option 3 entirely and going straight for option 1.

Content filters is also an issue on user pages btw. We did try some of this filtering there some time ago, but the trouble with that is that some people had favourite content outside of the filters they had enabled and then got stuck wondering why they couldn't see them in their faves list. Some people applied filters that hid their own work!

Ahh right, I've noticed that adult content was visible on userpages. It also likes to show up in my feed. This issue reminds me of Steam and the ability to exclude certain tags in your search options. I've had times where I looked up a game on their platform and couldn't find it. At the top of the results, a message would tell me they had excluded some games from the listing and offered me a way to include them. That could be your solution: How about you offer 18+ users a link that reveals all adult content when clicked? I guess it's a bit redundant for people who always view the site in Adult mode anyway but it looks like a valid temporary option to me.

All of this is really compounded by the fact that you have to go INTO one of the listings to apply your filters and then of course you're stuck with them until you go back to some place where you can change them. Again, this is something we're aware of and trying to figure out how best (and where) to include this stuff so you can dip in and out of it globally.

Hmm perhaps adding something in the top navigator could work. But since mobile would get a little cluttered, instead of showing all 4 buttons (E, T, M and A), only show the most risqué selection. Users would for example see A, even though they also have M selected. When people click that icon they get a popup where they can see and change their selections and these changes would take place over the entire site.

Totally up for suggestions there, but regardless of what happens I'd like it to be among a bunch of settings you can change in one place in your account settings. It won't hurt to be able to get at that at other places throughout the site, it's just a case of figuring out where and how without adding to the noise in whatever page you're looking at.

That's probably why the top bar would be the place to go. I think it's probably a bad idea to bury it in account settings where some people may never find it and/or forget about it completely or whine about how it used to be more accessible. Maybe it's not nearly as dramatic though. I don't know.

I'm hoping this is all something we can roll out within the first couple of months of the New Year, but it's difficult to commit to any timescale because there are any other number of things that could happen between now and then.

Yeah, it's always been unpredictable and all this new traffic causes for even more unforeseen surprises it seems. Witnessing the tumblr purge, I'm starting to think NG's decrease in traffic over the years has turned it into an echo chamber. And sure, it's a good thing the active users are happy with the site but when you hold that same picture to the outside world, its flaws become apparent. That being said, I hope you guys will have a smooth ride running the back-end!

BBS Signature

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-13 23:40:26

I'm glad that multi-image art entries are coming soon.
Now all I need is ability to divide my gallery into categories.

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-14 00:21:03

This is a really great addition! And I love the sounds of the other ideas for expanding the art portal.
I really love everything you've been doing to welcome the incoming tumblr users Tom!

GAH!

BBS Signature

At 12/13/18 11:40 PM, Armpitcore420 wrote: I'm glad that multi-image art entries are coming soon.
Now all I need is ability to divide my gallery into categories.

I don't know if it's this specific kind of organisation you're after, but playlists might be something you want to look into?

On every art page, at the top right of the image box there is an Add to playlist button. You can use this to categorise your art into different playlists, which will appear in a playlists pod on your main profile page. :-)

DeviantArtFacebookPatreonRedbubbleTumblrTwitterYouTube

BBS Signature

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-14 03:25:35

At 12/14/18 03:06 AM, Nez-Man wrote: I don't know if it's this specific kind of organisation you're after, but playlists might be something you want to look into?

Well, it was obviously designed for a bit different purposes but yeah, that's pretty close, can work for now. Thanks for the tip. I only wish it had its cover or even previews of included entries displayed right in my profile.

At 12/14/18 03:25 AM, Armpitcore420 wrote:
At 12/14/18 03:06 AM, Nez-Man wrote: I don't know if it's this specific kind of organisation you're after, but playlists might be something you want to look into?
Well, it was obviously designed for a bit different purposes but yeah, that's pretty close, can work for now. Thanks for the tip. I only wish it had its cover or even previews of included entries displayed right in my profile.

You're welcome, glad that I could help! ;-)

Hopefully playlist integration on profile pages can be expanded upon in future, with preview thumbnails akin to DeviantArt's Gallery folders or something similar. :-3

BBS Signature

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-14 05:14:44

Hello everyone I wanted to start drawing some sweet things 🍥. So if anyone can come up with any different candies 🍬, pastries 🍰, basically anything that sweet. And is also a treat I will definitely Draw it.🦊

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-14 07:57:57

At 12/11/18 05:50 PM, TomFulp wrote:

Yeah this has to be one of my favorite features of Newgrounds.com. The default choices for articles to represent my commissions accessibility
https://adventvoice.newgrounds.com/news/post/1020636

https://adventvoice.newgrounds.com/news/post/1021737

https://adventvoice.newgrounds.com/news/post/1022815 Where really not ones I would have chosen to help promote my desire to do commission work, though it was nice that the program chose those journals, I thought they were interesting choices. I am going to have to make a new one.

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-14 17:39:16

At 12/12/18 09:30 AM, Pr0tagonist wrote: User product/service store! User product/service store! User product/service store!

Try to say that three times fast. lol

At 12/12/18 10:02 AM, BrandyBuizel wrote:
At 12/11/18 06:26 PM, StickmanMarkinson wrote: It would be better if you had the option to remove the link, since not everyone can produce content...

That is very true.

The link is not present by default, what you see on your own page is just another "edit profile" option

That makes more sense, but is there a way to remove it from being seen?

At 12/12/18 10:21 AM, TheReviewTrickster wrote: You could have a default "commissions closed" or "no commissions" so that artists will read it and want to edit that. But not flashy yellow letters for everyone, including non-artists.

The easier it is, the better. Like an on and off button.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-14 17:47:16

At 12/14/18 05:39 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 12/12/18 09:30 AM, Pr0tagonist wrote: User product/service store! User product/service store! User product/service store!
Try to say that three times fast. lol

At 12/12/18 10:02 AM, BrandyBuizel wrote:
At 12/11/18 06:26 PM, StickmanMarkinson wrote: It would be better if you had the option to remove the link, since not everyone can produce content...
That is very true.

The link is not present by default, what you see on your own page is just another "edit profile" option
That makes more sense, but is there a way to remove it from being seen?

At 12/12/18 10:21 AM, TheReviewTrickster wrote: You could have a default "commissions closed" or "no commissions" so that artists will read it and want to edit that. But not flashy yellow letters for everyone, including non-artists.
The easier it is, the better. Like an on and off button.

What I'm saying is that the link is OPT-IN
https://gyazo.com/e0e681806d0e03d51477ba1864c97b97

What you're seeing on your own page is another "Edit Profile" button
https://gyazo.com/622c4596d1a95ad1184bef9c1febc290

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-14 18:38:14

At 12/11/18 08:38 PM, FIGMENTUM wrote: Just so I'm understanding what this is, could we say it's like a more versatile version of Fiverr?

Pretty much! Or more simply: a way to link to a specific post you wish to promote. However you wish to use that feature.

If you didn't get an answer to this already: that edit link only shows up for you. Unless you activate one.

At 12/12/18 11:33 AM, TheReviewTrickster wrote: Yes, I know. This one would be visible to everyone and wouldn't be yellow.

Everyone isn't an artist though. IMO better if it's not visible for everyone at all, maybe via an account settings toggle, as also suggested.

At 12/11/18 06:57 PM, KaijuBunny wrote: Can't set up any payment options for myself right now...

PayPal? Anyone over 18 should be able to set up an account there.

Hell yeah! Hoping for this too!

At 12/11/18 07:18 PM, AzrealFreeman wrote: does this mean we doing NG collabs again?

We always have! :)

Check out the New Review Crew / Hexalist #49 (Jan)

BBS Signature

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-14 18:41:54

At 12/13/18 03:20 AM, liljim wrote: All of this is really compounded by the fact that you have to go INTO one of the listings to apply your filters and then of course you're stuck with them until you go back to some place where you can change them. Again, this is something we're aware of and trying to figure out how best (and where) to include this stuff so you can dip in and out of it globally.

Could maybe have content rating preferences available via account settings as a default, and then temporary toggles via the different listings, for that particular browsing session? Maybe just a simple SFW/NSWF toggle via account settings, and more detailed ones on lists.

At 12/14/18 04:03 AM, Nez-Man wrote:
At 12/14/18 03:25 AM, Armpitcore420 wrote:
At 12/14/18 03:06 AM, Nez-Man wrote:
You're welcome, glad that I could help! ;-)

Hopefully playlist integration on profile pages can be expanded upon in future, with preview thumbnails akin to DeviantArt's Gallery folders or something similar. :-3

Seems that might be on the do list too. :) Tom wrote a bit about this earlier: https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1436757/15#bbspost26261282_post_text

At 12/12/18 11:48 AM, Whirlguy wrote: Being able to toggle that option could be a good idea. I'm thinking these visuals would look pretty good on mobile phone but it may be a bit bulky on desktop.

Thinking that sounds like a good idea if the alternative view does come around! Still prefer the classic Portal layout over the newer Games/Movies grids for example, and I think it's from a functional standpoint rather than just a nostalgic one. Easier overviews have their advantages. Wish you could skim through all submissions in list mode too.

BBS Signature

At 12/14/18 06:41 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: Seems that might be on the do list too. :) Tom wrote a bit about this earlier: https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1436757/15#bbspost26261282_post_text

Oh yeah, I read that post earlier. Thank you anyway, though! ^_^

I'm looking forward to seeing how playlists will develop over time. :-)

BBS Signature

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-14 18:48:48

At 12/14/18 06:46 PM, Nez-Man wrote: Oh yeah, I read that post earlier. Thank you anyway, though! ^_^

I'm eager to see how playlists will develop over time. :-)

Yeah me too. :) Seems like it might be usable for pretty much anything! Hope there'll be an easier way to make a list too, not only adding things one thing at a time.

BBS Signature

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-14 18:52:04

At 12/14/18 06:48 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: Yeah me too. :) Seems like it might be usable for pretty much anything! Hope there'll be an easier way to make a list too, not only adding things one thing at a time.

Seconding the desire for mass editing options. :-3

BBS Signature

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-15 06:05:34

At 12/14/18 06:52 PM, Nez-Man wrote: Seconding the desire for mass editing options. :-3

Ay, further bumping appreciative seconding of said feature! :D

BBS Signature

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-20 16:14:46

At 12/12/18 10:21 AM, Whirlguy wrote: Wait, so would this page be scrollable much like on twitter? Because that would be pretty cool!

Being able to scroll on twitter would be extra cool.

At 12/12/18 10:35 AM, Art3misJinx wrote: Does that mean you're also getting rid of the scouting system?

That would be a big step. It has been around since the early days.

At 12/12/18 11:12 AM, Whirlguy wrote: I was picturing something compact along the lines of how blogs are shown on userpages right now: A title, a preview of the contents and a "Read More..." button below.

A blog concept could be a good way to go.

p3

BBS Signature

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-22 04:54:57

Thanks for the option!

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-28 12:19:32

Please excuse me for being late to the party, but I do have one question. Is there a way to search for artists that are open for commissions? It's been sometime since I even came back to Newgrounds, and I am on the hunt to throw some money at artists to get some art done. Though most of my favorites don't even have the commission thing turned on yet.

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-28 12:25:37

At 12/28/18 12:19 PM, Octopicake wrote: Please excuse me for being late to the party, but I do have one question. Is there a way to search for artists that are open for commissions? It's been sometime since I even came back to Newgrounds, and I am on the hunt to throw some money at artists to get some art done. Though most of my favorites don't even have the commission thing turned on yet.

The commission search is upcoming. Right now liljim is overhauling tag system to break it out of the portals so tags can be used in blog posts and anything else that comes up. Also adding things like tag auto-suggest in the process.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-29 13:35:58

At 12/28/18 12:25 PM, TomFulp wrote: The commission search is upcoming. Right now liljim is overhauling tag system to break it out of the portals so tags can be used in blog posts and anything else that comes up. Also adding things like tag auto-suggest in the process.

That sounds awesome. :) Going to be interesting to see how it all works when it does.

BBS Signature

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-30 14:45:48

I'm certainly open for commissions and collaborations.

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2019-01-02 05:17:29

At 12/30/18 02:45 PM, makestuff wrote: I'm certainly open for commissions and collaborations.

Best activate the link on your profile so everyone knows it. ;) Top left corner.

BBS Signature

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2019-01-04 03:51:20

At 12/12/18 11:16 AM, BoMbLu wrote: Awesome initiative! :D

It is very cool.

At 12/12/18 11:18 AM, mae32 wrote: are you allowed to open music commissions?

You should go for it.

At 12/12/18 11:21 AM, carverh wrote:
At 12/12/18 07:04 AM, TomFulp wrote: The main difference is visibility and helping us to generate a list of artists open for commission. We also intend to add tags to blog posts, which will help us give commissioners more filtering / sorting options for artists (among lots of other useful things).
Ah, I see now.

It make sense what you figure it all out.

BBS Signature

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2019-01-06 01:09:56

At 1/4/19 03:51 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 12/12/18 11:16 AM, BoMbLu wrote: Awesome initiative! :D
It is very cool.

At 12/12/18 11:18 AM, mae32 wrote: are you allowed to open music commissions?
You should go for it.

At 12/12/18 11:21 AM, carverh wrote:
At 12/12/18 07:04 AM, TomFulp wrote: The main difference is visibility and helping us to generate a list of artists open for commission. We also intend to add tags to blog posts, which will help us give commissioners more filtering / sorting options for artists (among lots of other useful things).
Ah, I see now.
It make sense what you figure it all out.

Are we allowed video commisions???

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2019-01-08 21:14:03

Hello peeps!

I tried the new feature for enabling "commissions open" status, to be prepared for this next days, but the entry I did for commission information is not listed in the possible choices I can use for it, only one entry I did for informing stuff in the beggining of the year. Seems like a bug, because the entry that appears doesn't even have the title "Commission", but the entry I just did has it, yet is not detected.

The entry that I would like to choose is this one:

https://darkshadow777.newgrounds.com/news/post/1037229

Also, I have a small request, is it possible to disable this when you are not taking commissions? I normally do this when I am on holidays, so people knows I'm not working until I return to business, if it's possible currently, how do you do it?

Thanks a bunch! Cya!

================== Tips || Trello ==============

BBS Signature

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2019-01-09 04:34:58

At 1/8/19 09:14 PM, DarkShadow777 wrote: The entry that I would like to choose is this one:

For whatever reason, it doesn't look as though that entry is indexed. Which is baffling... can you try making a minor edit to it and saving and then trying again?

Also, I have a small request, is it possible to disable this when you are not taking commissions?

You should be able to close the entry when you're away and then reopen it when you get back already. :)

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2019-01-09 19:09:13

At 1/9/19 04:34 AM, liljim wrote:
At 1/8/19 09:14 PM, DarkShadow777 wrote: The entry that I would like to choose is this one:
For whatever reason, it doesn't look as though that entry is indexed. Which is baffling... can you try making a minor edit to it and saving and then trying again?

Also, I have a small request, is it possible to disable this when you are not taking commissions?
You should be able to close the entry when you're away and then reopen it when you get back already. :)

Ahhhh YES! That did the trick, thank you!!

And yeah, checked that you are able to close the commissions... My bad XD

Thank you so much!!! <3

================== Tips || Trello ==============

BBS Signature