00:00
00:00

Are you Open for Commissions?

8,138 Views | 146 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-12 13:04:24

Is this new commission post a new post itself that will be displayed on it's window on our page or will it replace your current news post?

Check out my work at MysticSkillz

BBS Signature

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-12 13:09:02

At 12/12/18 01:04 PM, MysticSkillz wrote: Is this new commission post a new post itself that will be displayed on it's window on our page or will it replace your current news post?

You can link to an existing commission post, however if you do make a new post it will bump whatever your current post is as well. A lot of artists have already made commission blogs posts so this is just a better way to promote them.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-12 13:10:26

Okay cool Tom thanks.

Check out my work at MysticSkillz

BBS Signature

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-12 14:22:50

Great idea! I've been very curious about commissions for a while from a lot of artists. I've always had to PM them and await response.

Tale of Enki: Pilgrimage, an RPG with a few twists. Available to buy it on Steam here!

BBS Signature

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-12 14:34:20

At 12/12/18 05:42 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: Impressed at how fast you guys are putting out features lately, and this is awesome. Bit curious about the: 'a list of commission-related blog posts' part.

It was a quick update. Almost came out of nowhere.

Which is still great, though pretty sure I did have a commission related entry way further back.

Will you be into commissions now?

At 12/12/18 07:11 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 12/12/18 06:00 AM, liljim wrote: It's basically the last (up to) 3 posts that mention commission in either the title or body of the post, or your latest 3 posts if nothing can be found.

That is interesting.

Good to know! I think I basically mentioned what I do and what it costs, so probably no commission-specific wording. Would be simple enough to get any relevant post to show up by mentioning that word, though.

You have to be careful what you say, or it could happen. lol

Maybe it'd be unfavorable since it'd allow users to show irrelevant posts, but the ability to specify a post not mentioned in the suggestions would be pretty useful too. Could be with simply a field for post ID, or some kind of auto-fill if that's possible now, so there's no need for a long list or dropdown.

It could be a mixed bag at best. We will have to wait and see.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-12 14:49:57

Set one up today. I didn't know it was new, I thought I just missed it. It's perfect, thanks :^)

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-12 15:43:49

This is legitimately a smart idea, honestly. You should try your hand and aping Patreon and let people pay each other through Newgrounds while skimming a percentage off the top. I don't know the hurdles that go into achieving that but it's worth a shot and would make for a huge incentive for people to use NG as a mainstay rather than an afterthought like all the Tumblr refugees.

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-12 16:13:28

At 12/12/18 06:58 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 12/11/18 07:26 PM, opspotty wrote: Hey Tom I found an interesting quirk, on the Establish Commission Status window, the little X button in the corner does nothing but clicking outside of the window works. Someone has probably beaten me to this but I thought it'd be good to let you know!
What browser / OS / version are you using? We haven't been able to recreate this one.

I'm on macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 using chrome 70.0.3538.110 64bit BUT i just tested it further, when i created a post that met the commission criteria the X button did work, where previously i had no posts at all and the X button didn't work. Hope that helps!

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-12 16:39:44

Anyone else having an issue with your new commission post not showing up in the list? I can only select the 1 post I made 3 weeks ago

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-12 17:18:08

At 12/12/18 04:39 PM, LilithN wrote: Anyone else having an issue with your new commission post not showing up in the list? I can only select the 1 post I made 3 weeks ago

This might be a matter of the search system not caching your new post yet - something we gotta address.

BBS Signature

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-12 17:23:34

At 12/12/18 03:43 PM, Psychopath wrote: This is legitimately a smart idea, honestly. You should try your hand and aping Patreon and let people pay each other through Newgrounds while skimming a percentage off the top. I don't know the hurdles that go into achieving that but it's worth a shot and would make for a huge incentive for people to use NG as a mainstay rather than an afterthought like all the Tumblr refugees.

The difficult thing with performing a service like Patreon is that you are handling a transaction between two people, which is traditionally what banks / Paypal do and the legal / accounting requirements are much more stringent than even a lot of start-ups realize. For example when Venmo was bought by Paypal, they discovered a lot of what they were doing at the time wasn't even legal but fortunately Paypal is really well established in that space. I always had this feeling that Patreon didn't know what they were getting into and I wonder if that's why they've gone on to raise over $100 million in investment despite making good money right out the gate.

The model I WANT to do, which we have already made attempts at, is more like Ko-Fi where NG handles a Paypal transaction between two individuals without the money ever entering our account. Paypal has an API for this but at the moment it isn't open to new clients. I'm not sure if they were having problems with it or if they have something better coming along - they've made acquisitions in that space that could be leading to a new system. If any devs here know of a solution please fill me in because we dug around a lot and turned up with nothing.

We could add Paypal tip jars like we had back in the early early days of the Portal but no one used them back then and I have a feeling not many people would use them now if we didn't track the transaction on our end (why we need the API). If we could track it, we could show it on peoples' pages, award badges, make rankings, all the sort of social recognition people like when it comes to funding systems. We might still go ahead and try this if there is no other option but I'd love to track transactions where we don't actually handle the money.

BBS Signature

At 12/12/18 05:23 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 12/12/18 03:43 PM, Psychopath wrote:
We could add Paypal tip jars like we had back in the early early days of the Portal but no one used them back then and I have a feeling not many people would use them now if we didn't track the transaction on our end (why we need the API). If we could track it, we could show it on peoples' pages, award badges, make rankings, all the sort of social recognition people like when it comes to funding systems. We might still go ahead and try this if there is no other option but I'd love to track transactions where we don't actually handle the money.

I've always liked the idea of the Paypal Tip jar model and used it myself in all my Flash movies, but I could never get any of my crew to participate so their Paypal link always never worked.

By the way, since you're here, I just sent you a PM about a leveling glitch, I deposited 20EXP today and the EXP displayed on my userpage is the same as it was yesterday. I think it might be related to the new userpage update. Please fix.

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-12 18:37:21

This is fantastic! Newgrounds really is a great place for creatives! Could you also highlight the credit and revenue split system for the new folks?

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-12 20:03:58

Can we get this for musicians?

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-12 20:04:39

I'm new to the site, so I still don't know everything the site has to offer, but I wanted to say that the changes that have happened since I first joined have been great. You guys have really done a good job of listening to feedback and making the best changes possible.

Keep up the great work.

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-12 21:00:42

I'm open for commissions if anyone is interested.

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-12 22:39:10

This is a nice feature been trying to whore myself out for some of this an whatnot..

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-12 22:55:22

At 12/12/18 06:01 AM, uWotinFokM8 wrote: Is anything about the profile page planned to be changed? Having medals showcased on my profile is something I'm not interested in, and it seems like there's no option to remove that showcase block. =)

There are always new changes coming around the next corner.

At 12/12/18 07:15 AM, SevenSeize wrote: I'll take 20 stick figures.

Only 20. Why not 24?

Ill put your check in the mail.

Sounds great to me.

At 12/12/18 07:19 AM, liljim wrote: We're toying with the idea of having a button to mark a news post as your commission-based post, so you'd get at it the other way around. Open to suggestions, but I'm not keen on having people enter ids that they'd have to go fishing for or anything like that, it would need to be straightforward.

That is not a bad idea. Could be useful for artists and others.

BBS Signature

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-13 00:25:24

Oof Tom.
Long Live Newgrounds!

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-13 01:35:04

I only do writing, but I'm entirely willing to whore myself out for the Patreon bucks on here too, so I made a post.
https://clawclawtm.newgrounds.com/news/post/1031924

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-13 01:47:42

At 12/12/18 07:36 AM, Kkylimos wrote: This is pretty cool!

Glad that you are liking it.

At 12/12/18 07:45 AM, Bundog wrote: You're the man

Thanks, I do what I can.

At 12/12/18 07:51 AM, TheReviewTrickster wrote:
At 12/11/18 06:26 PM, StickmanMarkinson wrote: It would be better if you had the option to remove the link, since not everyone can produce content...

I think that would work well.

I second this, having a big yellow thing with the edit pencil on my page annoys me. Like I'm missing something.

The pencil should be able to be moved. It has to go.

BBS Signature

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-13 03:08:56

At 12/12/18 08:03 PM, Hikari wrote: Can we get this for musicians?

It's already open to everybody.

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-13 03:20:47

At 12/12/18 01:03 PM, Whirlguy wrote: Aww shit, sounds like that'll require a pretty heavy update and I'm sure you guys are already working hard on redesigning the site. Not to mention all the new features that are being introduced and the new suggestions you guys keep receiving. Is the art portal update planned (or even realistic) for the near future?

Like I said, it's something we plan to do, it's been on the agenda for over a year already. These are changes we intend to make for audio, games and movies too. Just got some nuts to crack on how best to present the data, particularly in cases where you have one author uploading multiple entries - we don't want to handicap them by hiding items, but at the same time it's unfair on others if they swamp the listings, particularly on un-ranked data like "most recent".

Content filters is also an issue on user pages btw. We did try some of this filtering there some time ago, but the trouble with that is that some people had favourite content outside of the filters they had enabled and then got stuck wondering why they couldn't see them in their faves list. Some people applied filters that hid their own work!

All of this is really compounded by the fact that you have to go INTO one of the listings to apply your filters and then of course you're stuck with them until you go back to some place where you can change them. Again, this is something we're aware of and trying to figure out how best (and where) to include this stuff so you can dip in and out of it globally.

Totally up for suggestions there, but regardless of what happens I'd like it to be among a bunch of settings you can change in one place in your account settings. It won't hurt to be able to get at that at other places throughout the site, it's just a case of figuring out where and how without adding to the noise in whatever page you're looking at.

I'm hoping this is all something we can roll out within the first couple of months of the New Year, but it's difficult to commit to any timescale because there are any other number of things that could happen between now and then.

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-13 08:40:17

At 12/12/18 08:03 PM, Hikari wrote: Can we get this for musicians?

You can already enable it but our listings will be pretty vague until we add blog tagging. At that point people could tag their commission posts with things like "art", "backgrounds", "music" etc and we can filter results.

BBS Signature

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-13 08:41:33

At 12/12/18 08:04 PM, JimmyDArtist wrote: I'm new to the site, so I still don't know everything the site has to offer, but I wanted to say that the changes that have happened since I first joined have been great. You guys have really done a good job of listening to feedback and making the best changes possible.

Keep up the great work.

Thanks! The BIGGEST suggestions are still to be implemented so excited to start knocking those off the list.

BBS Signature

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-13 13:46:55

Its great to see that these new updates making it easier to find artists who do commissions. I remember when I was looking for one for my last commission it took days find one that was open for commissions and had the art style I was looking for. Anything that makes that process easier is a positive change in my book. Plus, a comprehensive list of artists that accept commissions would be great. This way I don't have to worry as much about finding an artist who seems to do commissions only to later find out that they are on a commission hiatus.

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-13 17:59:21

Not sure if this suggestion is appropriate as a response to this thread, but I'd like to suggest you add some sort of gallery/collection function that allows you to upload several pieces that are treated as a single thing.

Example uses would be a comic which has 12 pages, instead of having every one of them show up on the art gallery stand alone, the comic title page would show, when clicked you could navigate the pics inside that collection.

[Also you could have the pages still be able to be voted and commented on, they just wouldn't fill the feed if they were to be uploaded together.]

Could also be used to keep commission samples in a single 'folder', and other kind of organizational purposes.

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-13 18:20:15

Thank you, Tom
This is an amazing way to welcome artists :)

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-13 18:34:26

At 12/12/18 07:57 AM, BenTibbetts wrote: This is a nice feature! I like the idea of a list of people for hire. Maybe order that list by whoever most recently posted or uploaded new material? Might promote active users and incentivize participation in the site,

It is a great feature, for people who need it.

At 12/12/18 08:07 AM, sandrocasilself wrote: Nice feature, commission status are now featured from newgrounds

Yes, it is right there and you can't miss it.

At 12/12/18 08:20 AM, matzoball wrote: I love that he still does from time to time

You know. People come and go, but The Living Legend will always remain. :)

BBS Signature

At 12/13/18 03:20 AM, liljim wrote: Like I said, it's something we plan to do, it's been on the agenda for over a year already.

Hmm, I still have some questions regarding the complications that come with static pages. What are the exact problems that arise as a result of this? I'm guessing it makes dynamic filtering of content difficult? In the games/movies portal for example: would filtering out all adult material leave the purple list with blank spaces? Or maybe it's hard to remove things in general? For instance, going through some audio portal listings a while ago resulted me in finding a couple of songs that had supposedly been removed. I'm guessing it's these types of problems that occur because of static pages?

These are changes we intend to make for audio, games and movies too. Just got some nuts to crack on how best to present the data, particularly in cases where you have one author uploading multiple entries - we don't want to handicap them by hiding items, but at the same time it's unfair on others if they swamp the listings, particularly on un-ranked data like "most recent".

Bulk uploads don't seem very tricky when you think of every portal as a grid. Every upload is its own little box therein and space within the grid is limited. When someone uploads in bulks, they claim space that could potentially belong to other users. In other words, they're robbing views from other users. The way I see it there's three options:
1. Leave it like this. Bulk uploads will hog the portal and rob other users from potential views.
2. All bulk uploads will show as a single box in the grid, robbing potential views from the uploader.
3. Bulk uploads are handled in a queue event and will show up in the portal after a certain amount of time (could be every 10 minutes or something else like once a new page has been created within the portal. Prior to this it will have shown up on the creator's profile and feedsystem of their fans). There is also the possibility to favor NG supporters by having them skip option 3 entirely and going straight for option 1.

Content filters is also an issue on user pages btw. We did try some of this filtering there some time ago, but the trouble with that is that some people had favourite content outside of the filters they had enabled and then got stuck wondering why they couldn't see them in their faves list. Some people applied filters that hid their own work!

Ahh right, I've noticed that adult content was visible on userpages. It also likes to show up in my feed. This issue reminds me of Steam and the ability to exclude certain tags in your search options. I've had times where I looked up a game on their platform and couldn't find it. At the top of the results, a message would tell me they had excluded some games from the listing and offered me a way to include them. That could be your solution: How about you offer 18+ users a link that reveals all adult content when clicked? I guess it's a bit redundant for people who always view the site in Adult mode anyway but it looks like a valid temporary option to me.

All of this is really compounded by the fact that you have to go INTO one of the listings to apply your filters and then of course you're stuck with them until you go back to some place where you can change them. Again, this is something we're aware of and trying to figure out how best (and where) to include this stuff so you can dip in and out of it globally.

Hmm perhaps adding something in the top navigator could work. But since mobile would get a little cluttered, instead of showing all 4 buttons (E, T, M and A), only show the most risqué selection. Users would for example see A, even though they also have M selected. When people click that icon they get a popup where they can see and change their selections and these changes would take place over the entire site.

Totally up for suggestions there, but regardless of what happens I'd like it to be among a bunch of settings you can change in one place in your account settings. It won't hurt to be able to get at that at other places throughout the site, it's just a case of figuring out where and how without adding to the noise in whatever page you're looking at.

That's probably why the top bar would be the place to go. I think it's probably a bad idea to bury it in account settings where some people may never find it and/or forget about it completely or whine about how it used to be more accessible. Maybe it's not nearly as dramatic though. I don't know.

I'm hoping this is all something we can roll out within the first couple of months of the New Year, but it's difficult to commit to any timescale because there are any other number of things that could happen between now and then.

Yeah, it's always been unpredictable and all this new traffic causes for even more unforeseen surprises it seems. Witnessing the tumblr purge, I'm starting to think NG's decrease in traffic over the years has turned it into an echo chamber. And sure, it's a good thing the active users are happy with the site but when you hold that same picture to the outside world, its flaws become apparent. That being said, I hope you guys will have a smooth ride running the back-end!

BBS Signature