00:00
00:00

Are you Open for Commissions?

8,085 Views | 146 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-12 07:54:26

Good on you, Tom! I'm sure I've heard someone ask for this before. Looks like you're really trying to improve the experience for everyone, and without even slowing down the other updates!

But one thing that annoys me is that the pop-up you get when you level up isn't there. It was a semi-recent update. It shows your previous level icon and stuff. I haven't gotten it the last two times I levelled up.

"We must fight against the machines"-The Ninja Society of Newgrounds | Join me in worship!

Name sig by Decky, Gods sig by Jackho

BBS Signature

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-12 07:57:31

This is a nice feature! I like the idea of a list of people for hire. Maybe order that list by whoever most recently posted or uploaded new material? Might promote active users and incentivize participation in the site, since if it's successful this is a list people will want to be featured on.

BBS Signature

Nice feature, commission status are now featured from newgrounds

Sandro G. Casil

BBS Signature

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-12 08:20:48

At 12/11/18 06:01 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 12/11/18 05:59 PM, Bigfoot3290 wrote: $9,999.99 for a stick figure portrait?! Sounds like a deal if I ever heard one.
I like to be ready if @SouljaBoy rolls through.

I love that he still does from time to time

fuck the police

At 12/12/18 07:19 AM, liljim wrote: We're toying with the idea of having a button to mark a news post as your commission-based post, so you'd get at it the other way around. Open to suggestions, but I'm not keen on having people enter ids that they'd have to go fishing for or anything like that, it would need to be straightforward.

Ah even better! :D Maybe a little note about this alternate method along with the current selection as well, if added? The only real problem with isolated options like this seems to be they're not obvious from the start. It's easy to find the settings page, but individual ones require some exploring. Playlists for example: it's not really clear how somebody goes about creating one of those until they find the button on a submission page (been thinking it'd be neat if these could be started via the projects page or submission dropdown too, and quicker to build if you could fill in a list rather than go via individual submission pages). Either way some of these things could use a little extra introduction, but once you get used to the interface it's definitely an intuitive way.

At 12/12/18 07:12 AM, TomFulp wrote: We're gonna be adding tagging to blog posts, at which point the commission list will get more detailed. We'll have a suggestion guide for commission tags like art, voice, music, etc.

Very much looking forward to that! :D Hope there'll be a tag list/cloud or similar too so it's easy for users to filter posts by a certain type/theme/whatever authors specify. Unless newsposts (changing to 'blogs'?) categories might be a thing too?

Check out the New Review Crew / Hexalist #50 (Feb)

BBS Signature

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-12 09:30:56

User product/service store! User product/service store! User product/service store!

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-12 10:02:35

At 12/11/18 06:26 PM, StickmanMarkinson wrote: It would be better if you had the option to remove the link, since not everyone can produce content...

The link is not present by default, what you see on your own page is just another "edit profile" option

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-12 10:05:18

At 12/12/18 07:51 AM, TheReviewTrickster wrote:
At 12/11/18 06:26 PM, StickmanMarkinson wrote: It would be better if you had the option to remove the link, since not everyone can produce content...
I second this, having a big yellow thing with the edit pencil on my page annoys me. Like I'm missing something.

Thinking we could have it appear only when in “Edit Profile” mode but a lot of artists may overlook it there.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-12 10:21:17

At 12/12/18 10:05 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 12/12/18 07:51 AM, TheReviewTrickster wrote:
I second this, having a big yellow thing with the edit pencil on my page annoys me. Like I'm missing something.
Thinking we could have it appear only when in “Edit Profile” mode but a lot of artists may overlook it there.

You could have a default "commissions closed" or "no commissions" so that artists will read it and want to edit that. But not flashy yellow letters for everyone, including non-artists.

"We must fight against the machines"-The Ninja Society of Newgrounds | Join me in worship!

BBS Signature

At 12/12/18 07:12 AM, TomFulp wrote: We're gonna be adding tagging to blog posts, at which point the commission list will get more detailed. We'll have a suggestion guide for commission tags like art, voice, music, etc.

Wait, so would this page be scrollable much like on twitter? Because that would be pretty cool!

BBS Signature

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-12 10:35:13

At 12/11/18 05:50 PM, TomFulp wrote: When we migrate Art publishing into the Project System, we'll introduce co-authoring and the ability for both commissioner and artist to share credit on a piece.

Does that mean you're also getting rid of the scouting system?

I'm crazy! Got a doctor's note.

Find me on the internet

BBS Signature

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-12 11:06:41

At 12/12/18 10:21 AM, Whirlguy wrote:
Wait, so would this page be scrollable much like on twitter? Because that would be pretty cool!

Do you mean something where you would see the full posts as you scroll, vs links to the posts?

BBS Signature

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-12 11:08:49

At 12/12/18 10:35 AM, Art3misJinx wrote:
At 12/11/18 05:50 PM, TomFulp wrote: When we migrate Art publishing into the Project System, we'll introduce co-authoring and the ability for both commissioner and artist to share credit on a piece.

No plans to change anything there.

BBS Signature

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-12 11:10:14

At 12/12/18 10:21 AM, TheReviewTrickster wrote: You could have a default "commissions closed" or "no commissions" so that artists will read it and want to edit that. But not flashy yellow letters for everyone, including non-artists.

Just to be sure everyone is clear, other users don't see that text on your user page unless you enable commissions. You only see the link because you're the page owner.

BBS Signature

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-12 11:12:53

At 12/12/18 11:06 AM, TomFulp wrote: Do you mean something where you would see the full posts as you scroll, vs links to the posts?

I was picturing something compact along the lines of how blogs are shown on userpages right now: A title, a preview of the contents and a "Read More..." button below.

BBS Signature

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-12 11:16:19

Awesome initiative! :D

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-12 11:17:29

At 12/12/18 11:12 AM, Whirlguy wrote:
At 12/12/18 11:06 AM, TomFulp wrote: Do you mean something where you would see the full posts as you scroll, vs links to the posts?
I was picturing something compact along the lines of how blogs are shown on userpages right now: A title, a preview of the contents and a "Read More..." button below.

I'd like this to be a browsing option for blogs but not sure how soon we'd tackle that. It's another good "small improvement" though, maybe as an option you can toggle on the list itself and the site would remember your preference.

BBS Signature

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-12 11:18:07

are you allowed to open music commissions?

pico by Rovertarthead

listen to my music

BBS Signature

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-12 11:19:58

At 12/12/18 11:18 AM, mae32 wrote: are you allowed to open music commissions?

Yup! Once we have blog tags we'll be able provide much more specific listings for that.

BBS Signature

At 12/12/18 07:04 AM, TomFulp wrote: The main difference is visibility and helping us to generate a list of artists open for commission. We also intend to add tags to blog posts, which will help us give commissioners more filtering / sorting options for artists (among lots of other useful things).

Ah, I see now.

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-12 11:33:32

At 12/12/18 11:10 AM, TomFulp wrote:
Just to be sure everyone is clear, other users don't see that text on your user page unless you enable commissions. You only see the link because you're the page owner.

Yes, I know. This one would be visible to everyone and wouldn't be yellow.

BBS Signature

At 12/12/18 11:17 AM, TomFulp wrote: I'd like this to be a browsing option for blogs but not sure how soon we'd tackle that. It's another good "small improvement" though, maybe as an option you can toggle on the list itself and the site would remember your preference.

Being able to toggle that option could be a good idea. I'm thinking these visuals would look pretty good on mobile phone but it may be a bit bulky on desktop. Part of me is thinking the News section should be a more integral part of the site, since the social aspect will be more familiar to a lot of newcomers. Then again, Newgrounds is not a social media platform and most people will just resort to twitter anyway. Just thinking out loud here but perhaps it has some merit?

BBS Signature

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-12 11:51:12

At 12/11/18 06:01 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 12/11/18 05:59 PM, Bigfoot3290 wrote: $9,999.99 for a stick figure portrait?! Sounds like a deal if I ever heard one.
I like to be ready if @SouljaBoy rolls through.

He was already on this site. He tried to submit some stuff to the audio portal yeeears ago - He was booed off it.

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-12 11:52:27

At 12/12/18 11:10 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 12/12/18 10:21 AM, TheReviewTrickster wrote: You could have a default "commissions closed" or "no commissions" so that artists will read it and want to edit that. But not flashy yellow letters for everyone, including non-artists.

Can we say no to it so that it doesn't eternally show up on our page for us? Or just have an option to x it off?

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-12 11:58:47

I also don't see a "search by tag" option in the art portal like there is in the audio portal. Was this removed? How am I supposed to search for art by tags now? I have an image below - the left is the art portal the right is the audio portal. That search box appears to be missing off the art portal.

Also the filter appears to be broken. I have A M and T turned off but I'm still seeing naked boobs on the "brand spanking new art" category on the art front page. Not so great when you're browsing the site at work..

Are you Open for Commissions?

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-12 12:06:15

At 12/12/18 11:08 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 12/12/18 10:35 AM, Art3misJinx wrote:
No plans to change anything there.

Yeah I misread what you said. I thought you said portal system and was going to make a portal for art with a blam/protect system in place.

I'm crazy! Got a doctor's note.

Find me on the internet

BBS Signature

At 12/12/18 11:58 AM, IoTheEternal wrote: Also the filter appears to be broken. I have A M and T turned off but I'm still seeing naked boobs on the "brand spanking new art" category on the art front page. Not so great when you're browsing the site at work..

Maybe people tagged it incorrectly? I've uploaded stuff and forgotten to tick the rating before till a bit later, it can happen specially when people have been doing dumps.

Edit: I just saw what you mean, there are some titties and ass in there but they're correctly tagged; Mature stuff just pops up on the front page regardless of the filter settings it seems. Needs adjustment

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-12 12:20:13

At 12/12/18 11:58 AM, IoTheEternal wrote: Also the filter appears to be broken. I have A M and T turned off but I'm still seeing naked boobs on the "brand spanking new art" category on the art front page. Not so great when you're browsing the site at work..

I keep finding people who point out this problem all across the site. I think artists from tumblr just bulk-upload and don't bother to change the "age rating". I'm pretty sure this is happening because it's not a mandatory item on the project's to-do list. @liljim, what's your thoughts on this?

BBS Signature

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-12 12:33:12

At 12/12/18 12:20 PM, Whirlguy wrote: I think artists from tumblr just bulk-upload and don't bother to change the "age rating". I'm pretty sure this is happening because it's not a mandatory item on the project's to-do list. @liljim, what's your thoughts on this?

Most of the art is rated correctly, it's a limitation of the hub pages which are currently compiled statically and include items that might not be within your suitability selection (adult is excluded for everyone). If you drill into the pages, the ratings will take effect. We do plan to address this.

Response to Are you Open for Commissions? 2018-12-12 13:03:28

At 12/12/18 12:33 PM, liljim wrote:
At 12/12/18 12:20 PM, Whirlguy wrote: I think artists from tumblr just bulk-upload and don't bother to change the "age rating". I'm pretty sure this is happening because it's not a mandatory item on the project's to-do list. @liljim, what's your thoughts on this?
Most of the art is rated correctly, it's a limitation of the hub pages which are currently compiled statically and include items that might not be within your suitability selection (adult is excluded for everyone). If you drill into the pages, the ratings will take effect. We do plan to address this.

Aww shit, sounds like that'll require a pretty heavy update and I'm sure you guys are already working hard on redesigning the site. Not to mention all the new features that are being introduced and the new suggestions you guys keep receiving. Is the art portal update planned (or even realistic) for the near future?

BBS Signature