00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheADHX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Is there any section for writers?

985 Views | 13 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Is there any section for writers? 2018-12-08 09:32:52

Is there any section for writers?

Response to Is there any section for writers? 2018-12-08 12:17:22

Yes this is it

Response to Is there any section for writers? 2018-12-08 19:00:45

At 12/8/18 09:32 AM, TheWitchPolyglot wrote: Is there any section for writers?

You are at that section.

There's also your news posts on your userpage.

Response to Is there any section for writers? 2018-12-09 04:32:21

As the others have said, yes this is the location. But I recently asked Tom the creator of this site, and he said they are working on a Lit Portal for writers. The only thing he did not mention is when it will be ready, regardless I look forward to when it arrives.

Response to Is there any section for writers? 2018-12-09 17:01:53

At 12/9/18 04:32 AM, ponchoman8 wrote:
As the others have said, yes this is the location. But I recently asked Tom the creator of this site, and he said they are working on a Lit Portal for writers. The only thing he did not mention is when it will be ready, regardless I look forward to when it arrives.

Excellent. Information about a literature portal is exactly what I came to the forums looking for. Thanks for sharing this little bit.

Response to Is there any section for writers? 2018-12-10 01:57:59

You're welcome, glad I could be of some help.

Response to Is there any section for writers? 2018-12-11 11:10:30

At 12/8/18 07:00 PM, solitonmedic wrote:
You are at that section.

Are news posts for story writing, though? Just curious.

I mean from what I've seen, news posts are for updates and to promote i.e. link to pages here on the forum, but I'm not sure if it's meant to go on the posts themselves.

This post was artificially generated

At 12/11/18 11:10 AM, SquizofrenicCat wrote:
At 12/8/18 07:00 PM, solitonmedic wrote:
You are at that section.

Are news posts for story writing, though? Just curious.

I mean from what I've seen, news posts are for updates and to promote i.e. link to pages here on the forum, but I'm not sure if it's meant to go on the posts themselves.

News posts aren’t just limited for promoting your own content though. You can share what’s on your mind atm or even share your own piece of literature. I would definitely recommend posting here at the writing forums as well.

Pretty much you can share anything on your user page blog as long it isn’t spam.

Response to Is there any section for writers? 2018-12-19 15:42:42

I really hope that they do introduce a Lit portal soon. With everything that happened on Tumblr, a large number of writers are displaced. While Tumblr's ban specified written works would be allowed it was all lies. Tumblr sat on a throne of lies, wearing a crown of also lies, and just spewed nonsense. Myself and several writers I know were shadow banned or removed entirely.

The problem is sites like Ao3 have clearly stated only fan fiction is allowed and you cannot do commissions or make money. Wattpad has already started removing stories from people who tried to move there, so that is a no go as well.

Out of sheer desperation I made my own website, but it is hard to promote that. I also joined here, twitter, reddit, HF, and dreamwidth just to name a few. Pillowfort has closed registrations, so really that isn't an option for a lot of people either. Finding a single site that works for writers is hard since most social sites are geared towards art.

tl;dr - I really hope the lit portal is up soon because it sucks to be a writer without a platform.

Response to Is there any section for writers? 2018-12-20 05:22:42

At 12/19/18 03:42 PM, PyromanticBlaze wrote: I really hope that they do introduce a Lit portal soon. With everything that happened on Tumblr, a large number of writers are displaced. While Tumblr's ban specified written works would be allowed it was all lies. Tumblr sat on a throne of lies, wearing a crown of also lies, and just spewed nonsense. Myself and several writers I know were shadow banned or removed entirely.

The problem is sites like Ao3 have clearly stated only fan fiction is allowed and you cannot do commissions or make money. Wattpad has already started removing stories from people who tried to move there, so that is a no go as well.

Out of sheer desperation I made my own website, but it is hard to promote that. I also joined here, twitter, reddit, HF, and dreamwidth just to name a few. Pillowfort has closed registrations, so really that isn't an option for a lot of people either. Finding a single site that works for writers is hard since most social sites are geared towards art.

tl;dr - I really hope the lit portal is up soon because it sucks to be a writer without a platform.

Agreed, though I've been having a look at their recent work over the past few days. And god did they get lazy as hell, all they did was sweep everything under the rug. If this is their way of getting things done, then that site needs to (and I can't believe I'm saying this, because I don't condone such talk) die off and be done.

Response to Is there any section for writers? 2018-12-20 12:20:50

At 12/20/18 05:22 AM, ponchoman8 wrote:

Agreed, though I've been having a look at their recent work over the past few days. And god did they get lazy as hell, all they did was sweep everything under the rug. If this is their way of getting things done, then that site needs to (and I can't believe I'm saying this, because I don't condone such talk) die off and be done.

Maybe they can hire you! You seem to be an expert on the matter. You're completely right. No improvements have been made whatsoever to the site over the last month. No positive progression at all!

I think making sarcasm come through in text is a subtle art that I've been working on.

Response to Is there any section for writers? 2018-12-20 16:09:05

At 12/19/18 03:42 PM, PyromanticBlaze wrote: I really hope that they do introduce a Lit portal soon. With everything that happened on Tumblr, a large number of writers are displaced. While Tumblr's ban specified written works would be allowed it was all lies. Tumblr sat on a throne of lies, wearing a crown of also lies, and just spewed nonsense. Myself and several writers I know were shadow banned or removed entirely.

Which site were you meaning Tumblr or Newgrounds?

I haven't been on Newgrounds in an incredibly long time, and it is nothing like I remember so it is hard for me to weigh in on how much has been done, but if you meant Tumblr, then yes how they handled the entire situation regarding adult content was poorly thought out and just the worst overall. There are ways of controlling content that wont alienate an entire user base. Honestly it really isn't that hard if you put a little work into it, but Verizon doesn't really care about making something work, they just need it to be profitable.

I really hope Newgrounds has something workable soon, and I want to give it a genuine shot and not judge too early.

Response to Is there any section for writers? 2018-12-20 21:56:05

At 12/20/18 04:09 PM, PyromanticBlaze wrote:

Which site were you meaning Tumblr or Newgrounds?

I haven't been on Newgrounds in an incredibly long time, and it is nothing like I remember so it is hard for me to weigh in on how much has been done, but if you meant Tumblr, then yes how they handled the entire situation regarding adult content was poorly thought out and just the worst overall. There are ways of controlling content that wont alienate an entire user base. Honestly it really isn't that hard if you put a little work into it, but Verizon doesn't really care about making something work, they just need it to be profitable.

I really hope Newgrounds has something workable soon, and I want to give it a genuine shot and not judge too early.

I just feel that websites that are for writers have either very little user interaction, geared towards fan fiction or over run with 13 year olds who think they are the next JK Rowling and moderators who hide anything not pg-13 in a dark corner.

Which is sad but expected. I have hope for Newgrounds simply because it's geared towards original work but still has that user interaction. It's also much less likely to be over run by kids who write the same story five times and block you when you call them out on copying your story and starts a witch-hunt but that's just me being salty after all this time.

I'm just here because I like being here.

Response to Is there any section for writers? 2018-12-21 11:36:14

At 12/20/18 09:56 PM, NFarrell wrote:
At 12/20/18 04:09 PM, PyromanticBlaze wrote: Which site were you meaning Tumblr or Newgrounds?

I just feel that websites that are for writers have either very little user interaction, geared towards fan fiction or over run with 13 year olds who think they are the next JK Rowling and moderators who hide anything not pg-13 in a dark corner.

Which is sad but expected. I have hope for Newgrounds simply because it's geared towards original work but still has that user interaction. It's also much less likely to be over run by kids who write the same story five times and block you when you call them out on copying your story and starts a witch-hunt but that's just me being salty after all this time.

Yes, interaction is one of the most difficult things for a writer on any platform. Somewhere along the way in fandoms art became more important than stories. Art can be consumed quickly and easily, people reblog it and share it, but fiction not so much. It is like pulling teeth to get people to even leave a kudos or like, much less a comment. Which is hurtful when you put so much work into something and it feels like it failed. People are happy to consume and move on. I have always been of the opinion that if you have the time to read a story, you have time to leave a comment.

Some authors live and die by interaction, a lot of writers were doing commissions and making money on Tumblr. I know many authors that basically have lost all the extra money they were going to get around this time due to the purge and that is unfortunate.

So yes, I am looking forward to a platform that promotes an authors ability to share their work and interact with their fans.

As to your point about 13 year olds and how they behave. Everyone has to learn eventually. When kids are young many of them start drawing by tracing, is it right? not 100% no. But taking inspiration from something, using references, those things aren't bad. Outright stealing is. I have dealt with story theft on Wattpad recently and it was rampant back in the old Yahoo Groups back in the early 2000's.

Young people aren't always emotionally prepared for the internet and so while I have a 0 tolerance policy for theft, I do my best to not be too harsh when it is a kid. The last thing I want to do it snuff out the creative light in another person. I would rather use it as a teaching opportunity than an excuse to work out my frustration.

That being said, I have had a grown ass adult steal my work and I am perfectly happy to drag them as they should know better.