00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Sinnymon just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Where to submit animations

211 Views | 6 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hello. Another thread for help, sorry x'D

I have another question, regarding animation. I can only upload videos (mp4, swf, mov, wmv) to "animation", which is okay, I can export to one of those. And I can also upload gifs to "art". Then, which animations should go to "art" and which ones should go to "animation"? It's a matter of how much it's moving? Whether it has audio or not? Whether it's a loop or just a sequence?

Or is it okay for me to decide for myself which one I prefer depending on the submission? (God I'm so bad at deciding stuff).

Please tell me if you know. Thanks.

Response to Where to submit animations 2018-12-05 20:37:30

It's a little of a gray area but I think if it's a short few frames gif thing that'll be in the 'art' category.

The Portal is a little goofy because there is the judgment process where there's the possibility the users won't pass it through. It's not as harsh as it used to be but when I'm voting on under judgment stuff I expect it to be a complete project with proper animation, voice acting, sound FX and all that jazz. A short loop without any sound could to be blammed, and if it's more than a handful of frames it might not be right for the Art section either. You can upload works in progress to share with friends in your dumping grounds - it'll give you a URL to share with others to have people take a look and offer critique before you finish a project.

¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ♡ ¥

¥ ♡ ¥ Sig pic by Pingu ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature

Response to Where to submit animations 2018-12-05 21:23:50

At 12/5/18 08:37 PM, Malachy wrote: It's a little of a gray area but I think if it's a short few frames gif thing that'll be in the 'art' category.

The Portal is a little goofy because there is the judgment process where there's the possibility the users won't pass it through. It's not as harsh as it used to be but when I'm voting on under judgment stuff I expect it to be a complete project with proper animation, voice acting, sound FX and all that jazz. A short loop without any sound could to be blammed, and if it's more than a handful of frames it might not be right for the Art section either. You can upload works in progress to share with friends in your dumping grounds - it'll give you a URL to share with others to have people take a look and offer critique before you finish a project.

Oh, it's not about a specific animation, I didn't make anything to upload yet. But, as I'll make nsfw animations someday (I made this account just for nsfw art), I thought I should know it beforehand x'D Sound is out of the question, I can only draw. I'm working on a music animation right now, but in that case it's obvious it should go to video.

But now that I'm here, would you give me advice on these? These are sfw animations I made:
- https://twitter.com/CeciDibujera/status/1029098317068861440 Being a loop I'd probably submit this to art?
- https://twitter.com/CeciDibujera/status/1044890187472474112 This has a start and an ending so it looks more like video? (But it's very short).

I tend to not like very frew frames (like blinks and stuff) (not because I don't like them, but because I want to improve my animation skills and that's almost no movement x'D), so I don't realy know what counts as many frames or not? Uhh maybe I can divide them between "this is a full scene, camera changes and all" and "this is just one action/loop".

Response to Where to submit animations 2018-12-06 06:27:18

I'll just go ahead and tell you my personal policy when voting on stuff: If something fits an art format, it belongs in art, and if I find it under movies it gets 0 stars.

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

It's better to die together than to live alone.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

At 12/5/18 09:23 PM, FriKinky wrote: But now that I'm here, would you give me advice on these? These are sfw animations I made:
- https://twitter.com/CeciDibujera/status/1029098317068861440 Being a loop I'd probably submit this to art?
- https://twitter.com/CeciDibujera/status/1044890187472474112 This has a start and an ending so it looks more like video? (But it's very short).

I'd class both of those as art, especially since it's in a drawing style that won't lose any quality as a GIF. :) The length and motive's usually the deciding factor for me, or quality if it just won't come across well in GIF format (3D stuff, much larger resolution etc). As these are both are very short, don't tell a story, and don't need to be in video format: art seems like the optimal place. IMO. People seem to go about this different ways, but the audience will definitely appreciate this as art, while not all will feel it qualifies for the portal.

I tend to not like very frew frames (like blinks and stuff) (not because I don't like them, but because I want to improve my animation skills and that's almost no movement x'D), so I don't realy know what counts as many frames or not? Uhh maybe I can divide them between "this is a full scene, camera changes and all" and "this is just one action/loop".

Well not so much frames as total length i'd think. More frames: smoother animation, but if it's no more than a few seconds long I'd go for art anyway. There's some reaaaally smooth art loops out there too. Recent example:

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Where to submit animations 2018-12-07 10:04:04

At 12/7/18 05:28 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: Well not so much frames as total length i'd think. More frames: smoother animation, but if it's no more than a few seconds long I'd go for art anyway. There's some reaaaally smooth art loops out there too. Recent example:
http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/luis/running-late

Ah, you're right, more frames doesn't really mean longer animation x'D I just assumed that because I start at 12fps and stay there most of the time. Thanks! I guess I'll have to try longer animations someday (?)

At 12/7/18 10:04 AM, FriKinky wrote: Ah, you're right, more frames doesn't really mean longer animation x'D I just assumed that because I start at 12fps and stay there most of the time. Thanks! I guess I'll have to try longer animations someday (?)

For sure. :) 12 used to be the standard with Flash, but they upped it to 24 later on. Video runs at 30, but you can really barely notice a difference between the two. Depending on the animation the slower style works as well though. The higher the quality it seems the higher the FPS has to be. More like the real world and how he perceive that (which is probably waaay higher, don't think games really cut it either around ~60, but that's increasing too).

Anyway, got off topic there: sounds good! Looking forward to seeing what you make later on. Hope you do! Let me know if you want any feedback on something specific.

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature