Be a Supporter!
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Reader
Spyro Reignited 2018-11-30 20:51:05 Reply

This one seemed to slip under the radar - anyone been playing it?

I've been enjoying it, I'd actually say it's a better and more faithful remake than Crash was, although I probably prefer Crash's gameplay overall. The only notable change is Spyro's movement and it's absolutely been changed for the better.

Got the platinum trophy on the first game a few days ago.

NG Reading Thread / Monthly Book Club • Enlist in the Elite Guard today!

BBS Signature
Zornuzkull
Zornuzkull
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Movie Buff
Response to Spyro Reignited 2018-11-30 22:00:04 Reply

from what ive seen it looks good... and it has many welcome additions...
i played the originals as a kid and i have fond memories of them...
i think it was the first game i completed on the original playstation...

All our ignorances bring us closer to annihilation... Sig by Illicit...
나는 흑룡이다. 我是黑龙 ฉันเป็นมังกรดำ ഞാൻ കറുത്ത ഡ്രാഗൺ ആണ് tôi là con rồng đen ខ្ញុំជានាគខ្មៅ

BBS Signature
SolidPantsSnake
SolidPantsSnake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Spyro Reignited 2018-12-02 07:52:29 Reply

Looks good and I watched some game play hopefully there's an option to use the old voice audio for the games, not everyone returned for reignited.

I'm the guy with the funny name.

BBS Signature
Chdonga
Chdonga
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 59
Game Developer
Response to Spyro Reignited 2018-12-02 19:51:08 Reply

I 120'd Spyro 1 on launch week and I'm well on my way to 120'ing Year of the Dragon. I don't care too much about Ripto's Rage but I'll 120% that one too for the platinum trophy.

The only thing I hate is that they retooled Agent 9 to play like a modern third person shooter and didn't give him his actual retro controls either. They also removed the option to un-invert the flight controls. Other than that it really is a solid remaster.

BBS Signature
TrashKing91
TrashKing91
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Spyro Reignited 2018-12-04 03:15:42 Reply

I love it. Been doing a Let's Play on the trilogy.

YellowisCOOL
YellowisCOOL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 26
Artist
Response to Spyro Reignited 2018-12-04 07:06:41 Reply

I don't have a Playstation, but I might check out a playthrough of it since I played it a bit as a kid and enjoyed it

Add me on Steam || I don't want your goddamn lettuce

BBS Signature
Piemix
Piemix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to Spyro Reignited 2018-12-04 16:01:59 Reply

i played it on xbox to piss every1 off ahahahahahaha

Apple is a communist dynasty that is trying to take the world down in flames under its oppressive boot. Samsung will surge the universe into glory #androidnation

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature
Aibiki
Aibiki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Spyro Reignited 2018-12-04 16:06:12 Reply

I'm so glad it came out. I never got to play Ripto's Rage the first time around.

The only complaint I have is that it feels like some things were sped up especially in the flying levels of 1. But then, I was barely passable at those levels to begin with. I feel like a plat for 1 will be hard won, but 3 will be cake since I guess I already did it once.

WhiskerMidi
WhiskerMidi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to Spyro Reignited 2018-12-05 01:06:15 Reply

I've really been enjoying the Spyro remakes!

I enjoyed the Crash Bandicoot remakes A LOT, but there were things in them that irked me. I wasn't a fan of how they handled the art style of the game. For some reason they took a more realistic approach with the characters, adding a lot of fur effects and making the overall look more "realistic." To me, a lot of what made the original stand out was lost. The original had a very crisp, sharp "Looney Tunes" look to the characters, combined with lush, beautiful environments. The environments are intact for the most part and look better than ever, but the way the characters were rounded out and softened made me wish they referenced the concept art for the game rather than the original models.

I applaud the way they did the Spyro remasters, though. Instead of going for realism, Toys For Bob went with a more cartoony, angular style. While I think some of the character redesigns went a bit overboard (looking at you, Sheila,) everything just feels more "Spyro." Seeing how good Crash Bandicoot's Skylanders redesign looked made me a little upset that the N. Sane Trilogy wasn't made by them, so as soon as I saw the Reignited Trilogy in motion I was sold. You could say that a lot of the charm of the original was lost for this remake, too, but everything's got a new "groove" to it that just meshes together in a unique way.

The gameplay aged better than Crash, too. Crash was trying to shove twitch-styled platforming in a 3D space, which was fun but lead to a lot of moments of frustration. Spyro's more open-ended and exploration based, which I think meshes better with the more "relaxed" approach to single-player games we have now. My little cousins seemed to enjoy playing it, anyway, which I think says a lot about how ubiquitous Spyro's design is. I honestly think the games have held up well enough that the kids of today will probably look back on it the same way they look back on rereleases of classic Disney films.

The motion blur that you can't turn off in Spyro can eat a fat one though, lol

...I guess I had a lot to say about this game.

ronniefinn
ronniefinn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 02
Artist
Response to Spyro Reignited 2018-12-05 01:26:57 Reply

I love the design decisions they've made in this game. I've only gotten to play the originals and the new version briefly (I only have a pc atm and no controller), but I'm really enjoying watching other people play it and explore the game maps. The colors are really on point.

I've also started to draw all the dragons of the game in alphabetical order - so far I've only gotten 3 ready lol

spazz0id
spazz0id
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Spyro Reignited 2018-12-05 01:45:12 Reply

Knowing that Crash had a remake I was looking forward to Spyro and it blew out of the park with the graphics mostly. Still getting through the first one but it's a 5/5 for me.

BBS Signature
ronniefinn
ronniefinn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 02
Artist
Response to Spyro Reignited 2018-12-05 02:15:59 Reply

At 12/5/18 01:45 AM, spazz0id wrote: Knowing that Crash had a remake I was looking forward to Spyro and it blew out of the park with the graphics mostly. Still getting through the first one but it's a 5/5 for me.

Yeah! It's not even about just having more pixels - they've done some really great decisions with the style they've gone for. Even the concept art for the game is so beautiful.

Persnickedy
Persnickedy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Gamer
Response to Spyro Reignited 2018-12-05 04:48:02 Reply

I was happy to see that the Reignited Trilogy outsold Fallout: 76 when they first came out. I've been 100% completing the games but struggling in certain areas due to memory, and its almost always those dumb Speedway and Flight levels.

ZRDR
ZRDR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Artist
Response to Spyro Reignited 2018-12-05 05:11:10 Reply

What's great is my friends who grew up with spyro tell me what they learned from the original games carries over to this collection.

I'm Del Rio
I like to draw comics and stuff
My Art Thread
My Facebook

Celeathka
Celeathka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Spyro Reignited 2018-12-05 12:02:40 Reply

I'm in the camp of enviously watching from the sidelines. Spyro was a huge part of my childhood, but I haven't had a console for a few generations now.
Still, fingers crossed for an eventual PC release.

RyuuGirl
RyuuGirl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Spyro Reignited 2018-12-05 12:11:56 Reply

They did great with the visuals. My complaints are with how buggy the camera can be and often some of the NPCs can go through the ground. My biggest gripe is how Sparx will completely ignore some gems and its to the point where you have to be right on top of the gems from him to even notice. The game overall is still playable and doesn't entirely ruin my experience.

YonusBahtzee
YonusBahtzee
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Artist
Response to Spyro Reignited 2018-12-06 02:43:44 Reply

I actually just beat the first one couple days ago. Honestly blew my mind with how good it looked and plays.

It's funny because I remember liking crash bandicoot infinitely more than spyro in every way when I was younger (art style, theme, aesthetic, controls, character design, etc...) but now that I've played the remasters, my opinion completely flipped the other way around.

Oh yeah.... You see the Japanese claim "baltimization" increases sexual potency ten-fold. They call it... "paw paw-paw zaawwwww."
I also draw stuff. Here's some of it.

BBS Signature
Gameplay34
Gameplay34
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Spyro Reignited 2018-12-06 13:16:17 (edited 2018-12-06 13:16:31) Reply

At 12/4/18 07:06 AM, YellowisCOOL wrote: I don't have a Playstation, but I might check out a playthrough of it since I played it a bit as a kid and enjoyed it

It's a multi-plat game my dude. You can get it on Xbox One as well, and I feel like it's inevitable for the game to eventually port to switch & PC as well since exclusives are becoming less and less of a thing this generation.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ Outer Space Rave Music ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

BBS Signature
Gameplay34
Gameplay34
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Spyro Reignited 2018-12-06 13:20:49 Reply

This game is made entirely for people who haven't touched any of the 3 original Spyro games in a whole decade or even more. It's not really for people like me who play retro games regularly and have recently just 100%'d the original spyro on PS1. Playing through spyro again right after finishing the original is tedious as fuck and i'd have to wait a good long amount of time before it'd be fresh to me again. So for this reason I just probably am never going to get the remake. I had his same issue with the Crash bandicoot remake too.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ Outer Space Rave Music ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

BBS Signature
WalterLuigi
WalterLuigi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 04
Audiophile
Response to Spyro Reignited 2018-12-06 13:40:43 Reply

At 12/6/18 01:16 PM, Gameplay34 wrote:
At 12/4/18 07:06 AM, YellowisCOOL wrote: I don't have a Playstation, but I might check out a playthrough of it since I played it a bit as a kid and enjoyed it
It's a multi-plat game my dude. You can get it on Xbox One as well, and I feel like it's inevitable for the game to eventually port to switch & PC as well since exclusives are becoming less and less of a thing this generation.

Thankfully, because exclusives (while a good idea for console manufacturers like Sony or Microsoft) are a horrible idea for consumers. I hope that with the loss of exclusives we gain better cross platform support as well.

Raalz
Raalz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Gamer
Response to Spyro Reignited 2018-12-06 18:27:44 Reply

At 11/30/18 08:51 PM, Jackho wrote: This one seemed to slip under the radar - anyone been playing it?

I've been enjoying it, I'd actually say it's a better and more faithful remake than Crash was, although I probably prefer Crash's gameplay overall. The only notable change is Spyro's movement and it's absolutely been changed for the better.

Got the platinum trophy on the first game a few days ago.

Got any advice on how to get the red thief on Tree Tops? I already saved all dragons from that level, but can't seem to find out how to get the rest of the gems.