Be a Supporter!

House Democrats in power

  • 483 Views
  • 18 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
EdyKel
EdyKel
  • Member since: Dec. 11, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 27
Gamer

With Democrats taking control of the house this January I thought I would create a topic for things they are currently pursuing.

Some might think that their first order of business would be to try and impeach Trump. Nope. They are going to investigate everything that Republicans have been preventing them from investigating, but they are not going to start any impeachment hearings against Trump just yet.

As for their first legislature agenda, they are promoting a bill that limits big money in politics, promotes easier access to voting fro all people, and requires presidents to submit their tax returns. It all sounds good tome. But I can't see most Republicans backing it in the Senate, or Trump signing it, even though it's not that controversial, and is something most Americans can back.

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Member since: Jun. 22, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to House Democrats in power 2018-12-01 10:38:38 Reply

At 11/30/18 03:21 PM, EdyKel wrote: Some might think that their first order of business would be to try and impeach Trump. Nope. They are going to investigate everything that Republicans have been preventing them from investigating, but they are not going to start any impeachment hearings against Trump just yet.

I am a bit worried they're going to get too excited and investigate literally everything. They need to pick the 3-5 biggest issues and stop there. Leave the stupid shit be. Getting bogged down, or making it look like the with hunt misnomer actually applies will backfire.


As for their first legislature agenda, they are promoting a bill that limits big money in politics, promotes easier access to voting fro all people, and requires presidents to submit their tax returns. It all sounds good tome. But I can't see most Republicans backing it in the Senate, or Trump signing it, even though it's not that controversial, and is something most Americans can back.

What they can do is present popular bills and place them right in the lap of Republicans and let the Republicans take the full ownership for blocking them. The GOP had the ability to do this with Obama, but problem is, the GOP isn't really bursting at the seam with truly popular ideas.

EdyKel
EdyKel
  • Member since: Dec. 11, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 27
Gamer
Response to House Democrats in power 2018-12-01 12:41:39 Reply

At 12/1/18 10:38 AM, Camarohusky wrote:
At 11/30/18 03:21 PM, EdyKel wrote: Some might think that their first order of business would be to try and impeach Trump. Nope. They are going to investigate everything that Republicans have been preventing them from investigating, but they are not going to start any impeachment hearings against Trump just yet.
I am a bit worried they're going to get too excited and investigate literally everything. They need to pick the 3-5 biggest issues and stop there. Leave the stupid shit be. Getting bogged down, or making it look like the with hunt misnomer actually applies will backfire.

After all the craziness of Republicans over the last 8 years in the House, from making shit up, selectively leaking transcripts, going rogue with partisan reports, attacking our intelligence agencies to protect Trump... This is going to seem like 2006 all over again. Like the Iraq war, they will have a lot to work with, but little time to do much else. I think their biggest focouse will be on Russia/Trump campaign, and the Trump swamp - which Republicans have refused to investigate properly. If they keep it tied to those two things they should do well.

As for their first legislature agenda, they are promoting a bill that limits big money in politics, promotes easier access to voting fro all people, and requires presidents to submit their tax returns. It all sounds good tome. But I can't see most Republicans backing it in the Senate, or Trump signing it, even though it's not that controversial, and is something most Americans can back.
What they can do is present popular bills and place them right in the lap of Republicans and let the Republicans take the full ownership for blocking them. The GOP had the ability to do this with Obama, but problem is, the GOP isn't really bursting at the seam with truly popular ideas.

Yup, that is what I was thinking to.

Heretic-Anchorite
Heretic-Anchorite
  • Member since: Feb. 28, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to House Democrats in power 2018-12-05 18:55:53 Reply

heres an intresting bit

Funny how the gop whines and claim conspiricy when they lose as they actively sabatoge our government.

MisterGuillotine
MisterGuillotine
  • Member since: Dec. 3, 2018
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Artist
Response to House Democrats in power 2018-12-05 20:38:40 Reply

At 12/5/18 06:55 PM, Heretic-Anchorite wrote: Funny how the gop whines and claim conspiricy when they lose as they actively sabatoge our government.

this has got to be ironic lmao I've been hearing "russia! russia! russia!" for two years now without zero evidence whatsoever

sharpnova
sharpnova
  • Member since: Feb. 19, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to House Democrats in power 2018-12-06 07:33:56 Reply

At 12/1/18 10:38 AM, Camarohusky wrote: I am a bit worried they're going to get too excited and investigate literally everything. They need to pick the 3-5 biggest issues and stop there. Leave the stupid shit be. Getting bogged down, or making it look like the with hunt misnomer actually applies will backfire.

They won't play it rationally like that. Neither will they get anything significantly helpful for the American people done. They'll get bogged down by their identity-politics driven crusades (as they always do) and simply make people who are already opposed to their platform more entrenched in their original positions.

Nothing to unify. Nothing to improve.


= + ^ e * i pi 1 0

sharpnova
sharpnova
  • Member since: Feb. 19, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to House Democrats in power 2018-12-06 07:34:46 Reply

At 12/5/18 08:38 PM, MisterGuillotine wrote: this has got to be ironic lmao I've been hearing "russia! russia! russia!" for two years now without zero evidence whatsoever

Precisely. The anti-right rhetoric has gone full retard.


= + ^ e * i pi 1 0

Heretic-Anchorite
Heretic-Anchorite
  • Member since: Feb. 28, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 25
Blank Slate

At 12/5/18 08:38 PM, MisterGuillotine wrote:
At 12/5/18 06:55 PM, Heretic-Anchorite wrote: Funny how the gop whines and claim conspiricy when they lose as they actively sabatoge our government.
this has got to be ironic lmao I've been hearing "russia! russia! russia!" for two years now without zero evidence whatsoever

Except that changes nothing. Mueller has no power other then that which has been appointed to him by the executive branch.

the GOP had power for 2 years and controlled of each branch of government; cries of scandal valid or not does little to nothing to change current power other then the effect of public opinion which the media had always had the right to appeal to.

Also, all the Mueller investigation has done is collect evidence and even extract confessions of plenty of wrong doings, including collusion, and more proof may be to come as active investigations often don't reveal what they have until they are ready to close it.

The GOP had the power to shut it down and fire him btw; do you ever stop to think of why they didn't? Or are you the type who refuses to believe you've been scammed after you've invested into said scam.

Feoric
Feoric
  • Member since: Mar. 20, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to House Democrats in power 2018-12-06 10:48:49 Reply

At 12/5/18 08:38 PM, MisterGuillotine wrote:
At 12/5/18 06:55 PM, Heretic-Anchorite wrote: Funny how the gop whines and claim conspiricy when they lose as they actively sabatoge our government.
this has got to be ironic lmao I've been hearing "russia! russia! russia!" for two years now without zero evidence whatsoever

If you have gone this far without coming across any evidence of Russian interference in our elections then that is an indictment against your ability to do basic research rather than an indictment against the availability and veracity of said evidence.


BBS Signature
DamnedByFate
DamnedByFate
  • Member since: Jan. 14, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 44
Blank Slate
Response to House Democrats in power 2018-12-06 12:32:45 Reply

At 12/6/18 07:34 AM, sharpnova wrote:
At 12/5/18 08:38 PM, MisterGuillotine wrote: this has got to be ironic lmao I've been hearing "russia! russia! russia!" for two years now without zero evidence whatsoever
Precisely. The anti-right rhetoric has gone full retard.

Hey, we're just levelling the playing field.


You can't fight for peace. If you fight, there ain't peace. NO, I'M NOT AMERICAN!
On every ship that floats and sails, there's someone who the captain nails.
Sig by Decky.

BBS Signature
Fexel
Fexel
  • Member since: Dec. 4, 2018
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Artist
Response to House Democrats in power 2018-12-06 13:04:29 Reply

At 12/6/18 12:32 PM, DamnedByFate wrote:
At 12/6/18 07:34 AM, sharpnova wrote:
At 12/5/18 08:38 PM, MisterGuillotine wrote: this has got to be ironic lmao I've been hearing "russia! russia! russia!" for two years now without zero evidence whatsoever
Precisely. The anti-right rhetoric has gone full retard.
Hey, we're just levelling the playing field.

There must be cooperation between the house and the Senate starting next year, otherwise nothing will get done. Lol

Heretic-Anchorite
Heretic-Anchorite
  • Member since: Feb. 28, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 25
Blank Slate

At 12/6/18 01:04 PM, Fexel wrote:
There must be cooperation between the house and the Senate starting next year, otherwise nothing will get done. Lol

You do realize the GOP wrote the book on obstructionism right?

Remember when Obama was in office and how many times they tried to repeal the affordable care act for political points despite how the majority of the public wanted it?

The GOP do NOTHING but obstructionism when they don't have the white house, like a child crying because they lost.

Fexel
Fexel
  • Member since: Dec. 4, 2018
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Artist
Response to House Democrats in power 2018-12-06 13:11:48 Reply

At 12/6/18 01:08 PM, Heretic-Anchorite wrote:
At 12/6/18 01:04 PM, Fexel wrote:
There must be cooperation between the house and the Senate starting next year, otherwise nothing will get done. Lol
You do realize the GOP wrote the book on obstructionism right?

Remember when Obama was in office and how many times they tried to repeal the affordable healthcare act it for political points despite how the majority of the public wanted it?

The GOP do NOTHING but obstructionism when they don't have the white house, like a child crying because they lost.

I... don't really care. Just simply stating what will happen given there's no full majority, and that either nothing will be done, or bipartisanship will have to be the norm. As for the ACA, haven't been able to afford medical since AFTER ACA got enacted, and jacked up the premiums.

EdyKel
EdyKel
  • Member since: Dec. 11, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 27
Gamer
Response to House Democrats in power 2018-12-06 13:32:57 Reply

At 12/6/18 01:11 PM, Fexel wrote:
At 12/6/18 01:08 PM, Heretic-Anchorite wrote:
At 12/6/18 01:04 PM, Fexel wrote:
There must be cooperation between the house and the Senate starting next year, otherwise nothing will get done. Lol
You do realize the GOP wrote the book on obstructionism right?

Remember when Obama was in office and how many times they tried to repeal the affordable healthcare act it for political points despite how the majority of the public wanted it?

The GOP do NOTHING but obstructionism when they don't have the white house, like a child crying because they lost.
I... don't really care. Just simply stating what will happen given there's no full majority, and that either nothing will be done, or bipartisanship will have to be the norm. As for the ACA, haven't been able to afford medical since AFTER ACA got enacted, and jacked up the premiums.

I agree that both parties need to work together, but it's easier for Democrats to work with Republican than the other way around, since the later wants to distinguish themselves from the other party - all about conservative purity.

And the ACA was originally a Republican conception in the 90's, then first incorporated by a Republican governor, Mitt Romney, in Massachusetts, as a way to stabilize the out of control inflationary rise in insurance premiums. It wasn't as hard to swallow as universal health coverage, but Republicans did not want it when Democrats went though the process of enacting the law, no matter what, even though they added stuff into it. And since then, Republicans have just made it worse.

And premiums went up because insurance companies could no longer drop you when you developed an expensive health disorder, or deny people with pre-excisting conditions.

Fexel
Fexel
  • Member since: Dec. 4, 2018
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Artist
Response to House Democrats in power 2018-12-06 13:53:11 Reply

At 12/6/18 01:32 PM, EdyKel wrote:
At 12/6/18 01:11 PM, Fexel wrote:
At 12/6/18 01:08 PM, Heretic-Anchorite wrote:
At 12/6/18 01:04 PM, Fexel wrote:
There must be cooperation between the house and the Senate starting next year, otherwise nothing will get done. Lol
You do realize the GOP wrote the book on obstructionism right?

Remember when Obama was in office and how many times they tried to repeal the affordable healthcare act it for political points despite how the majority of the public wanted it?

The GOP do NOTHING but obstructionism when they don't have the white house, like a child crying because they lost.
I... don't really care. Just simply stating what will happen given there's no full majority, and that either nothing will be done, or bipartisanship will have to be the norm. As for the ACA, haven't been able to afford medical since AFTER ACA got enacted, and jacked up the premiums.
I agree that both parties need to work together, but it's easier for Democrats to work with Republican than the other way around, since the later wants to distinguish themselves from the other party - all about conservative purity.

The thing to keep note in regards to that "purity" is when you start looking at each party's aggregate population and how far from centrist they lean. According to the Pew Research Center Study "The Partisan Divide on Political Values Grows Even Wider" It tends to suggest that The Republican, or "the right"; has generally kept at a stable moderate leaning. Whereas with the Democratic, or "the left"; the leanings have increasingly spread to more radical ideologies over the years that deviate from what the USA was built on. Let it be known, there ARE radicals & extremists on all sides, but politically speaking the pattern suggests that the left is the group who has gotten increasing radicalized.

And the ACA was originally a Republican conception in the 90's, then first incorporated by a Republican governor, Mitt Romney, in Massachusetts, as a way to stabilize the out of control inflationary rise in insurance premiums. It wasn't as hard to swallow as universal health coverage, but Republicans did not want it when Democrats went though the process of enacting the law, no matter what, even though they added stuff into it. And since then, Republicans have just made it worse.

And premiums went up because insurance companies could no longer drop you when you developed an expensive health disorder, or deny people with pre-excisting conditions.

Ok? But who as it that told the insurance companies that the MUST provide coverage to those with pre-existing conditions? the Government. And which party in power and the ones who signed in the ACA, which was the bill that required the insurance companies to do that?

House Democrats in power

Gario
Gario
  • Member since: Jul. 30, 2009
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Musician

At 12/6/18 01:32 PM, EdyKel wrote:
And premiums went up because insurance companies could no longer drop you when you developed an expensive health disorder, or deny people with pre-excisting conditions.

Another reason premiums went up for some was because catastrophic coverage plans became illegal under Obama. This is a good thing, because they didn't actually provide coverage (a 20k deductable on insurance that only covered 50% of expenses can hardly be called helpful) - they were scams that people threw their money away at.

Just sayin'.

Seeing that I agree with Fexel otherwise (either bipartisanship or obstruction is the outlook for the next two years), I'm going to vouche lefties to go hard to the left, and force Republicans to either compromise (settling on policies that are left to center-left) or reject everything, grinding this government to a halt for the next two years. Considering the bullshit passed off as "policy" that's been going through over the last few years, absolute obstruction is a step above, and as a bonus it can politically be painted as the Republicans obstructing the Democratic house policies, possibly giving fuel to a 2020 sweep of thd Senate.

Being that Nanvy is the furthest left candidate for Speaker of the House we got, I don't have hopes for that at all (she ain't a leftie), but that'a how I think they should play their cards in the onlynhouse they have a majority in.

Quick ninja edit: that chart shows two things: that the country is more partisan, and that the country is more liberal. It does NOT show how it became more partisan, which to boil down a complex history into a few words right wing media told it's viewers that the left lies to them and that their version of the truth is the only truth they need to know. Hence they drove away from compromising their ideals, and the left was forced to either follow suit or simply become conservative themselves (which there's an argument they went the latter route in the overton window shift, but I digress). It ain't Liberal's fault that the country is partisan, that's for sure.


Need some music for a flash or game? Check it out. If none of this works send me a PM, I'm taking requests.

Fexel
Fexel
  • Member since: Dec. 4, 2018
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Artist
Response to House Democrats in power 2018-12-06 14:04:52 Reply

At 12/6/18 01:54 PM, Gario wrote: Another reason premiums went up for some was because catastrophic coverage plans became illegal under Obama. This is a good thing, because they didn't actually provide coverage (a 20k deductable on insurance that only covered 50% of expenses can hardly be called helpful) - they were scams that people threw their money away at.

Just sayin'.

True, but that doesn't tell the whole story either. Insurance companies and those who pitch-in to the insurance are presumed to be paying into a collective pot that contributes to everyone else who uses the insurance, in the case at some point in the future that the unforeseen happens. If you're predisposed to a certain condition, that raises your premium since you as that person have a higher chance of needing to pull from the pot later.

Now that everyone is allowed to pull from the pot when they have an existing condition, those premiums have to rise to cover those that will be pulling from the pot immediately after signing up. So, everyone paying for the insurance is paying for either conditions that you had no choice in getting (unpreventable diseases, genetic conditions etc.) & preventable conditions (obesity, HIV/AIDS, cancer, etc.)

Fexel
Fexel
  • Member since: Dec. 4, 2018
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Artist
Response to House Democrats in power 2018-12-06 14:14:28 Reply

At 12/6/18 02:04 PM, Fexel wrote: preventable conditions (obesity, HIV/AIDS, cancer, etc.)

Non-inherited cancers to be specific for the latter one. Spam lock hates me.

EdyKel
EdyKel
  • Member since: Dec. 11, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 27
Gamer
Response to House Democrats in power 2018-12-06 17:43:58 Reply

At 12/6/18 01:53 PM, Fexel wrote:
At 12/6/18 01:32 PM, EdyKel wrote:

acted, and jacked up the premiums.


I agree that both parties need to work together, but it's easier for Democrats to work with Republican than the other way around, since the later wants to distinguish themselves from the other party - all about conservative purity.
The thing to keep note in regards to that "purity" is when you start looking at each party's aggregate population and how far from centrist they lean. According to the Pew Research Center Study "The Partisan Divide on Political Values Grows Even Wider" It tends to suggest that The Republican, or "the right"; has generally kept at a stable moderate leaning. Whereas with the Democratic, or "the left"; the leanings have increasingly spread to more radical ideologies over the years that deviate from what the USA was built on. Let it be known, there ARE radicals & extremists on all sides, but politically speaking the pattern suggests that the left is the group who has gotten increasing radicalized.

Or, perhaps, the right has created common held stereotypes about how actually influential the left really is in this country, making anything they seem to suggest seem radical when it's much more moderate.

You look at gun control. The left talks about need to tighten some gun regulations over certain firearms, and accessories for them, to try and prevent mass shooting. You look at the right who accuse the left of attacking the 2nd amendment, and trying to get rid of all guns in the country.

You look at the ACU, where you had Democrats using a Republican plan, instead of the more socialist (left leaning) universal coverage.

You look at the issue of immigration, with Trump, and his supports wanting a zero tolerance policy towards it, and a wall that could cost over 100 billion to build (even though walls don't really prevent illegal immigration), with Democrats saying that's going too far

You look at Republicans spending money like there is no tomorrow, while cutting taxes, while claiming the later will stimulate the economy, even though it just seems to make the rich richer, while also claiming that socialism will bankrupt the country. And democrats, who also like to spend taxpayer money, are also inclined to want them paid for.

You look a the social issue, or religion, with Republicans accusing democrats of attacking whites, and males, with political correctness and identity politics, while guaranteeing that Christians and whites can discriminate against other groups with their own - and no one seem to recognize the Republican form of identity politics.

No, your argument may work for certain states, but, on the whole, it doesn't apply on the federal level, where many Democrats come from states that lean right, which are the majority in the country -so Democrats tend to be more moderate, or conservative, from those states.

The other thing that is fucking up the country are libertarians, who will often vote Republican, even though they are sociopathic liberals, where they hate social programs, which use to be a christian movement.

And the ACA was originally a Republican conception in the 90's, then first incorporated by a Republican governor, Mitt Romney, in Massachusetts, as a way to stabilize the out of control inflationary rise in insurance premiums. It wasn't as hard to swallow as universal health coverage, but Republicans did not want it when Democrats went though the process of enacting the law, no matter what, even though they added stuff into it. And since then, Republicans have just made it worse.

And premiums went up because insurance companies could no longer drop you when you developed an expensive health disorder, or deny people with pre-excisting conditions.
Ok? But who as it that told the insurance companies that the MUST provide coverage to those with pre-existing conditions? the Government. And which party in power and the ones who signed in the ACA, which was the bill that required the insurance companies to do that?

*sigh

Insurance premiums were skyrocketing before the ACA was ever made into a law, which was the original reason for why it was created and passed. And while it did not stop rates from hiking, it slowed them down.