DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Triple XP and Lots of News 2018-12-03 18:34:45 Reply

At 12/3/18 04:33 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 12/3/18 04:19 PM, TheReviewTrickster wrote: Well, there'll be more of these weekends. I feel like Newgrounds had been going through some very positive changes lately. I still managed to get a lot out of it and 2.5 times as much as 2 normal days.

Yes, these double XP weekends nave been awesome. I keep talking about them, and trying to get more of them.

Double EXP sure but... triple EXP? O_O It might've been the one and only!

Unfortunately, you might be correct. This could be a one time deal.

Definitely a bonus however much you get though.

We can look back years from now, and think I was there the weekend there was Triple XP. :)

I have a PhD in Troll Physics
Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Writer
Response to Triple XP and Lots of News 2018-12-04 03:51:54 Reply

At 12/3/18 06:33 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: We can look back years from now, and think I was there the weekend there was Triple XP. :)

That would be pretty cool. :)

TheAstra
TheAstra
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 25
Artist

Wiii!

IoTheEternal
IoTheEternal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Triple XP and Lots of News 2018-12-04 11:32:13 Reply

At 12/3/18 06:34 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:

We can look back years from now, and think I was there the weekend there was Triple XP. :)

Personally I'd love to see portal specific xp incentive - like "rate as much as you can within an hours time in the audio portal" to clean out a bunch of the chart scores - we need some slash and burning in some of the areas just to clear some stuff out.

DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Triple XP and Lots of News 2018-12-04 13:11:39 Reply

At 12/4/18 03:51 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 12/3/18 06:33 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: We can look back years from now, and think I was there the weekend there was Triple XP. :)
That would be pretty cool. :)

This is definitely a moment in time. That should never be forgotten.

At 12/4/18 11:32 AM, IoTheEternal wrote:
At 12/3/18 06:34 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:

Personally I'd love to see portal specific xp incentive - like "rate as much as you can within an hours time in the audio portal" to clean out a bunch of the chart scores - we need some slash and burning in some of the areas just to clear some stuff out.

That would be harder to maintain. Many people are not aware of the audio portal. You would also have to pick hours that users are actually on-line and active. However, it is not a bad idea at all.

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Writer

At 12/4/18 01:11 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: This is definitely a moment in time. That should never be forgotten.

Amen to that!

At 12/4/18 11:32 AM, IoTheEternal wrote: Personally I'd love to see portal specific xp incentive - like "rate as much as you can within an hours time in the audio portal" to clean out a bunch of the chart scores - we need some slash and burning in some of the areas just to clear some stuff out.

Maybe some other kind of incentive than xp? All submissions with a single vote or so giving a 'helping out' (for lack of better name) point when you vote on them? Could be a fun way for users to help out without totally messing up the EXP ranks otherwise.

Course, this new count would then be noted on profiles somewhere too. Maybe even have a ranking. Just struck me that this could be used for various other tasks too over time. Once audio is all sorted, maybe there comes a time when something similar is needed with another content form, finding missing images, adding new thumbs; such things... could have all those particular dues award this particular form of credit too. A limited kind of thing for anyone who's really involved at the right times.

...and NG would then have an army of helpers doing their bidding and feeling rewarded for it at the same time.

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Writer
Response to Triple XP and Lots of News 2018-12-04 13:29:32 Reply

At 12/4/18 07:55 AM, TheAstra wrote: Wiii!

Tis a great console!

IoTheEternal
IoTheEternal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 14
Audiophile

At 12/4/18 01:26 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 12/4/18 01:11 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: This is definitely a moment in time. That should never be forgotten.
Amen to that!

At 12/4/18 11:32 AM, IoTheEternal wrote: Personally I'd love to see portal specific xp incentive - like "rate as much as you can within an hours time in the audio portal" to clean out a bunch of the chart scores - we need some slash and burning in some of the areas just to clear some stuff out.
Maybe some other kind of incentive than xp? All submissions with a single vote or so giving a 'helping out' (for lack of better name) point when you vote on them? Could be a fun way for users to help out without totally messing up the EXP ranks otherwise.

Course, this new count would then be noted on profiles somewhere too. Maybe even have a ranking. Just struck me that this could be used for various other tasks too over time. Once audio is all sorted, maybe there comes a time when something similar is needed with another content form, finding missing images, adding new thumbs; such things... could have all those particular dues award this particular form of credit too. A limited kind of thing for anyone who's really involved at the right times.

yeah its just ridiculous atm - hundreds of pages of one off 5 reviews on songs - some of them really bad - littering the charts. There needs to be incentive to vote on these.. maybe "cleanup" days or something where you get points for cleaning up these. Back in the day that woulda been tuesday night before the weekly and monthly charts changed - everyone tore through the tracks rating stuff up and down and it helped things rise and fall and maintain. We need that sorta weekly slash and burn to keep stuff moving again.

Atm people only really look at the popular audio charts and that goes just off views - and since people see those publicly they vote on them as they should naturally, but noone votes on the genre charts - so all those new songs get voted down and never see the light of day on the genre charts, which are pages upon pages of old 5s - and since the charts are now year based the oldest 5s show up, so even people who self-five themselves don't show up on the charts. It's an issue. The genre charts atm are utterly useless.

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Writer

At 12/4/18 01:32 PM, IoTheEternal wrote: yeah its just ridiculous atm - hundreds of pages of one off 5 reviews on songs - some of them really bad - littering the charts. There needs to be incentive to vote on these.. maybe "cleanup" days or something where you get points for cleaning up these. Back in the day that woulda been tuesday night before the weekly and monthly charts changed - everyone tore through the tracks rating stuff up and down and it helped things rise and fall and maintain. We need that sorta weekly slash and burn to keep stuff moving again.

Yeah, anything like that would be great!

Atm people only really look at the popular audio charts and that goes just off views - and since people see those publicly they vote on them as they should naturally, but noone votes on the genre charts - so all those new songs get voted down and never see the light of day on the genre charts, which are pages upon pages of old 5s - and since the charts are now year based the oldest 5s show up, so even people who self-five themselves don't show up on the charts. It's an issue. The genre charts atm are utterly useless.

Quick solution maybe: shifting the sort order, so the newest show up instead? Well, at least the main ones that the main audience views is OK then... I'd help out if there was some incentive there for sure. I mean: I'm reviewing like crazy right now; welcoming all these new users without, but it's self-gratifying. Just combing through page after page of audio like that though, man...

With at least a few more people aboard it'd be so much quicker too.

IoTheEternal
IoTheEternal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Triple XP and Lots of News 2018-12-04 13:51:10 Reply

At 12/4/18 01:42 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 12/4/18 01:32 PM, IoTheEternal wrote: yeah its just ridiculous atm - hundreds of pages of one off 5 reviews on songs - some of them really bad - littering the charts. There needs to be incentive to vote on these.. maybe "cleanup" days or something where you get points for cleaning up these. Back in the day that woulda been tuesday night before the weekly and monthly charts changed - everyone tore through the tracks rating stuff up and down and it helped things rise and fall and maintain. We need that sorta weekly slash and burn to keep stuff moving again.
Yeah, anything like that would be great!

Quick solution maybe: shifting the sort order, so the newest show up instead? Well, at least the main ones that the main audience views is OK then... I'd help out if there was some incentive there for sure. I mean: I'm reviewing like crazy right now; welcoming all these new users without, but it's self-gratifying. Just combing through page after page of audio like that though, man...

With at least a few more people aboard it'd be so much quicker too.

Yeah and I had already tore through hundreds of pages BEFORE the redesign - I just am lacking the energy to keep at it these days.. it takes a long time to get through just a page of audio, let alone 500! The electronic chart doesnt work at all if all the other genres under it are not at least around the 4.6 to 4.4 range.. it just doesnt. We had it there before the redesign and thin gs were starting to look up and then it just upended everything haha...

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Writer
Response to Triple XP and Lots of News 2018-12-04 14:36:14 Reply

At 12/4/18 01:51 PM, IoTheEternal wrote: Yeah and I had already tore through hundreds of pages BEFORE the redesign - I just am lacking the energy to keep at it these days.. it takes a long time to get through just a page of audio, let alone 500! The electronic chart doesnt work at all if all the other genres under it are not at least around the 4.6 to 4.4 range.. it just doesnt. We had it there before the redesign and thin gs were starting to look up and then it just upended everything haha...

The pages you tore through before though, they still count right? No changes that made all of that moot...? Understandable. Hope the staff get some time to gather people together for this. :) Otherwise seems the current influx of new users is priority right now... just look at this though, it's pretty insane (and gratifying). Wish we had some numbers on how many users really are joining up right now.

Triple XP and Lots of News

IoTheEternal
IoTheEternal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 14
Audiophile

At 12/4/18 02:36 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 12/4/18 01:51 PM, IoTheEternal wrote: Yeah and I had already tore through hundreds of pages BEFORE the redesign - I just am lacking the energy to keep at it these days.. it takes a long time to get through just a page of audio, let alone 500! The electronic chart doesnt work at all if all the other genres under it are not at least around the 4.6 to 4.4 range.. it just doesnt. We had it there before the redesign and thin gs were starting to look up and then it just upended everything haha...
The pages you tore through before though, they still count right? No changes that made all of that moot...? Understandable. Hope the staff get some time to gather people together for this. :) Otherwise seems the current influx of new users is priority right now... just look at this though, it's pretty insane (and gratifying). Wish we had some numbers on how many users really are joining up right now.

Yeah those are good. This is on TOP of that, but it also doesn't include all the new users that are fiving themselves and simply being buried, kinda like magma building up underground - so once all the old songs are dealt with THEN there will once AGAIN be an influx of NEW users fiving themselves. It never ends. Some of those get pulled down though if their songs are popular enough to make it onto the popular charts at least, but not enough.

The end of the story is that no songs should ever exist for more than say a day with a rating of 5 out of 5 - they should be cut down and then slowly work their way back up. A system where all the songs are 5 is a broken system, because it means either nobody is voting or nobody is voting HONESTLY.

One thing that would fix this would be to bring back scores on the charts - looking at the charts atm you have no idea what song is rated what - seeing the scores on the charts provides incentives for people to vote, for good or for ill. It's why nobody noticed the pages upon pages of 5s because noone actually clicked the songs to see their scores.

DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Triple XP and Lots of News 2018-12-04 14:57:19 Reply

Amen to that!

You know it.

There are plenty of submission stat need to be protected or not.

That idea would be more workable and easy to actually do it. Messing up the XP ranks if also a concern.

...and NG would then have an army of helpers doing their bidding and feeling rewarded for it at the same time.

NewGrounds will always have people helping it. A nice reward will just sweeten the pot.

BBS Signature
IoTheEternal
IoTheEternal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 14
Audiophile

At 12/4/18 02:57 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
NewGrounds will always have people helping it. A nice reward will just sweeten the pot.

This may be true in other parts of the site but not so much in the audio portal. It was a huge issue - In my 4 year absence NOBODY voted on anything. The audio charts are not self regulating - they need people going through and voting. I am not really sure what the solution is to get more traffic to these charts but something has to be done. I can't do this all by myself with the few people I have helping me out - but if I do nothing the condition just gets worse and people give up.

The problem isn't so much how people rank it's that new songs are no longer seen if they aren't popular enough to be on the popular audio charts , and old songs are simply buried forever. The redesign really drove this point home by making all the oldest songs have priority on the charts. Noone is going to look through 500 pages to find your song - they just aren't.

I'd love to have some sort of incentive. Maybe open up an offer to make voting moderators whose job is to simply go through and vote on things to keep things moving and who get some sorta special points for doing so.

if this was the old days people would just plow through those pages and literally zero everything to keep it down. I don't want those days to return.
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Writer
Response to Triple XP and Lots of News 2018-12-04 15:12:08 Reply

At 12/4/18 02:49 PM, IoTheEternal wrote: Yeah those are good. This is on TOP of that, but it also doesn't include all the new users that are fiving themselves and simply being buried, kinda like magma building up underground - so once all the old songs are dealt with THEN there will once AGAIN be an influx of NEW users fiving themselves. It never ends. Some of those get pulled down though if their songs are popular enough to make it onto the popular charts at least, but not enough.

Ah right... and there's a lot of new users joining up too. Seems like an endless stream indeed... brings to mind the idea of removing the ability to fiven your own stuff, but even though I know there's little use to that I just... don't want that feature to go away...

The end of the story is that no songs should ever exist for more than say a day with a rating of 5 out of 5 - they should be cut down and then slowly work their way back up. A system where all the songs are 5 is a broken system, because it means either nobody is voting or nobody is voting HONESTLY.

...or one where everyone is just so overly positive or indoctrinated by the like culture elsewhere on the net that they know no other way. :) But of course that doesn't apply here. And shouldn't for anything where it's possible to rate using a different spectrum entirely.

One thing that would fix this would be to bring back scores on the charts - looking at the charts atm you have no idea what song is rated what - seeing the scores on the charts provides incentives for people to vote, for good or for ill. It's why nobody noticed the pages upon pages of 5s because noone actually clicked the songs to see their scores.

Ah, didn't know that was gone. Too long since I've browsed those pages. That'd be a start. Need to collect all these ideas some place so they reach the right people...

At 12/4/18 03:02 PM, IoTheEternal wrote: This may be true in other parts of the site but not so much in the audio portal. It was a huge issue - In my 4 year absence NOBODY voted on anything. The audio charts are not self regulating - they need people going through and voting. I am not really sure what the solution is to get more traffic to these charts but something has to be done. I can't do this all by myself with the few people I have helping me out - but if I do nothing the condition just gets worse and people give up.
I'd love to have some sort of incentive. Maybe open up an offer to make voting moderators whose job is to simply go through and vote on things to keep things moving and who get some sorta special points for doing so.

That would be good. Mods or just regular users, whichever works best.

I feel like a long term solution for this needs to be to really revive the interest in music though. Compared to the other sections of the site audio is still not particularly active, is it? Artists keep popping up but usually don't receive the audience they want and end up leaving. Maybe that's changed, though? I get the impression it's just not as interactive a section as the other parts of the site. It's not as visual; not as poppy though; not strange regular users prefer other content types. Plus, you can just listen to music in the background; not have to react so much with it as with the other forms. Maybe just some little 'rate this' notice along with the music player could bring in some extra votes on all this old content?

If SC users start migrating here too, with all the limitations they're imposing over there... who knows, that might be a solution too. .)

IoTheEternal
IoTheEternal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Triple XP and Lots of News 2018-12-04 15:49:57 Reply

At 12/4/18 03:12 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:
I feel like a long term solution for this needs to be to really revive the interest in music though. Compared to the other sections of the site audio is still not particularly active, is it? Artists keep popping up but usually don't receive the audience they want and end up leaving. Maybe that's changed, though? I get the impression it's just not as interactive a section as the other parts of the site. It's not as visual; not as poppy though; not strange regular users prefer other content types. Plus, you can just listen to music in the background; not have to react so much with it as with the other forms. Maybe just some little 'rate this' notice along with the music player could bring in some extra votes on all this old content?

If SC users start migrating here too, with all the limitations they're imposing over there... who knows, that might be a solution too. .)

no it's just as active trust me. It's just that there is a greater history of songs now on the charts.

But yes many get frustrated and leave for greener pastures - its one reason the charts need to be regulated, and it's a known fact that on average musicians only care about their own songs and scores, and don't vote and rate on the average other musician unless they are friends or longtime followers of them. People don't actively seek out new users.

I don't particularly want generic sc musicians coming here, nor their fans who respond with 1-2 word comments. That doesn't help anyone.

And you said it yourself - you haven't checked those charts in ages, and if you haven't you can be assured others haven't either - and you must ask yourself, why haven't you, and what would change to make you check them?

People only check what is shown to the m on the audio front page because our society has devolve to the point that they will only check out what is shoved into their faces. It's why the featured audio gets votes and the generic genre charts get nothing - noone is told to view them so nobody does.

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Writer
Response to Triple XP and Lots of News 2018-12-04 16:15:53 Reply

At 12/4/18 03:49 PM, IoTheEternal wrote: no it's just as active trust me. It's just that there is a greater history of songs now on the charts.

Oh that's good to know.

But yes many get frustrated and leave for greener pastures - its one reason the charts need to be regulated, and it's a known fact that on average musicians only care about their own songs and scores, and don't vote and rate on the average other musician unless they are friends or longtime followers of them. People don't actively seek out new users.

I don't particularly want generic sc musicians coming here, nor their fans who respond with 1-2 word comments. That doesn't help anyone.

And you said it yourself - you haven't checked those charts in ages, and if you haven't you can be assured others haven't either - and you must ask yourself, why haven't you, and what would change to make you check them?

Hmm, for me in particular I think other content forms take precedence, and I assume it's the same for others. I do check in on music every once in a while. I think I've been leaving at least a review or two every day on audio tracks for some time now, but I rarely check in on charts in particular, and the music I do listen to is mostly new music that appears in my feed, or submitted by new users entirely. Still doing a little bit there but... there's just too much. I do like sound but I find it easier to take in other media. The one content form I frequent less than audio right now is probably games, but those seem to be doing alright.

I don't know. Audio just doesn't seem to play as a big a role. It's not as easy to consume. Compared to other forms it's just not visual. How we could get more people there then... by bringing the visualizer back? Probably not but it would be cool!

Regarding the SC users I really don't know a thing about that community. Just seems like a big community.

People only check what is shown to the m on the audio front page because our society has devolve to the point that they will only check out what is shoved into their faces. It's why the featured audio gets votes and the generic genre charts get nothing - noone is told to view them so nobody does.

Oh, that could be an idea. Showing the submissions that need votes on the front page rather than the selected ones. And on the main audio listing too. Soon as a track gets a vote: other ones take their place. I don't know how quick that'd solve the problem but if there are a lot of users listening to those tracks maybe that'd be something? In the long run doesn't seem like a very fair system, not rewarding those who really put the effort in but rather the unknown ones, but it seems like a possibly quick way to fix this thing. Maybe just a box below the featured stuff with some 'vote on these please!' ones.

IoTheEternal
IoTheEternal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 14
Audiophile

At 12/4/18 04:15 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:
Hmm, for me in particular I think other content forms take precedence, and I assume it's the same for others. I do check in on music every once in a while. I think I've been leaving at least a review or two every day on audio tracks for some time now, but I rarely check in on charts in particular, and the music I do listen to is mostly new music that appears in my feed, or submitted by new users entirely. Still doing a little bit there but... there's just too much. I do like sound but I find it easier to take in other media. The one content form I frequent less than audio right now is probably games, but those seem to be doing alright.

I don't know. Audio just doesn't seem to play as a big a role. It's not as easy to consume. Compared to other forms it's just not visual. How we could get more people there then... by bringing the visualizer back? Probably not but it would be cool!

Regarding the SC users I really don't know a thing about that community. Just seems like a big community.

Listen. When that visualizer was there we had a buncha retards who actually thought it was a flash animation we had submitted and put our music to. People are retarded. It's a traffic thing - you put it in the main vein of the traffic and you get the views - that's all it boils down to. And when you do the scores get whittled down to shit and you learn the site only wants dubstep and dance and lots of boom boom. It's why the users who make those kinda music are the most popular on their site, not necessarily because their music is good, but because they make what the kids these days are told to listen to by the radio and the msm.

At 12/4/18 04:15 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:

Oh, that could be an idea. Showing the submissions that need votes on the front page rather than the selected ones. And on the main audio listing too. Soon as a track gets a vote: other ones take their place. I don't know how quick that'd solve the problem but if there are a lot of users listening to those tracks maybe that'd be something? In the long run doesn't seem like a very fair system, not rewarding those who really put the effort in but rather the unknown ones, but it seems like a possibly quick way to fix this thing. Maybe just a box below the featured stuff with some 'vote on these please!' ones.

Personally, I would put just one generic chart on the front page. That or get a few umbrella genres - show the first 5-8, and then fade out the rest with a more button that darkens out the bg and then shows the entire chart sorta like your notifications.

Put the weekly monthly yearly and high ranking on the side, and make the middle just for the main charts, keeps brand spanking new audio at the top. The point is to drive users to the biggest umbrella genres, and keep those on the front page. Don't make the genres clickable on the side, because people are generally too dumb to even realize it's there (ive literally had people tell me they didn't realize there were charts) And I don't even know if it's that people are too dumb or that they have no attention span and need to be told within 5 seconds what to do visually or they move on.

You literally as you said, have to make it entirely visual, and in their face.

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Writer
Response to Triple XP and Lots of News 2018-12-04 16:40:50 Reply

At 12/4/18 04:26 PM, IoTheEternal wrote: Listen. When that visualizer was there we had a buncha retards who actually thought it was a flash animation we had submitted and put our music to. People are retarded. It's a traffic thing - you put it in the main vein of the traffic and you get the views - that's all it boils down to. And when you do the scores get whittled down to shit and you learn the site only wants dubstep and dance and lots of boom boom. It's why the users who make those kinda music are the most popular on their site, not necessarily because their music is good, but because they make what the kids these days are told to listen to by the radio and the msm.

Ah but it was so good! You really get a different vibe with the music with something like that... well, regarding...

Personally, I would put just one generic chart on the front page. That or get a few umbrella genres - show the first 5-8, and then fade out the rest with a more button that darkens out the bg and then shows the entire chart sorta like your notifications.

Put the weekly monthly yearly and high ranking on the side, and make the middle just for the main charts, keeps brand spanking new audio at the top. The point is to drive users to the biggest umbrella genres, and keep those on the front page. Don't make the genres clickable on the side, because people are generally too dumb to even realize it's there (ive literally had people tell me they didn't realize there were charts) And I don't even know if it's that people are too dumb or that they have no attention span and need to be told within 5 seconds what to do visually or they move on.

You literally as you said, have to make it entirely visual, and in their face.

This on the main page of the AP I suppose? Seems it might be a lot heavier than the current structure, but yeah, maybe... would be cool if users could click away the genres they're not into. First get allotted the full layout on their first visit and be allowed to slim it down according to preference, and change the genres they have there.

Still gotta have a way to browse all submissions by genre though. When you're looking for music for your submission, or a beat, or just really want to do some serious digging then that's the best way to go.

IoTheEternal
IoTheEternal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Triple XP and Lots of News 2018-12-04 17:24:21 Reply

At 12/4/18 04:40 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:
This on the main page of the AP I suppose? Seems it might be a lot heavier than the current structure, but yeah, maybe... would be cool if users could click away the genres they're not into. First get allotted the full layout on their first visit and be allowed to slim it down according to preference, and change the genres they have there.

Still gotta have a way to browse all submissions by genre though. When you're looking for music for your submission, or a beat, or just really want to do some serious digging then that's the best way to go.

yeah on the first.. it would be a chart of ALL music styles, all on one chart, so you're exposed to all the types of music - otherwise you simply ignore types you're not into. You're kinda exposed to that with brand spanking new audio and the popular audio monthly yearly high ranking anyways. Then have others you can choose to maybe dock on that page to check and others you can click away, with more at the bottom, kinda like how you can dock things on your main userpage and show what you do and don't want to see. I'd love to see that structure for the audio front page as well as you said. Then have more on the bottom and maybe on the full chart page it pops up have the setting how it is now with the genres on the left or something. But the initial exposure on the audio front page is everything as that is all the majority of people seem to interact with.

DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate

At 12/4/18 03:02 PM, IoTheEternal wrote:
At 12/4/18 02:57 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
This may be true in other parts of the site but not so much in the audio portal. It was a huge issue - In my 4 year absence NOBODY voted on anything.

Wow, that is shocking to hear.

The audio charts are not self regulating - they need people going through and voting. I am not really sure what the solution is to get more traffic to these charts but something has to be done. I can't do this all by myself with the few people I have helping me out - but if I do nothing the condition just gets worse and people give up.

That can be a lot of pressure for you and the few that are assisting you.

The problem isn't so much how people rank it's that new songs are no longer seen if they aren't popular enough to be on the popular audio charts , and old songs are simply buried forever. The redesign really drove this point home by making all the oldest songs have priority on the charts. Noone is going to look through 500 pages to find your song - they just aren't.

That is true. Most people would never look through 500 pages of anything.

Well, not sure about this one. We have had several poor moderators in the past. You know which ones.

if this was the old days people would just plow through those pages and literally zero everything to keep it down. I don't want those days to return.

That seems like a worst case scenario. Nobody wants that to happen again.

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Writer
Response to Triple XP and Lots of News 2018-12-05 14:07:10 Reply

At 12/4/18 05:24 PM, IoTheEternal wrote: yeah on the first.. it would be a chart of ALL music styles, all on one chart, so you're exposed to all the types of music - otherwise you simply ignore types you're not into. You're kinda exposed to that with brand spanking new audio and the popular audio monthly yearly high ranking anyways. Then have others you can choose to maybe dock on that page to check and others you can click away, with more at the bottom, kinda like how you can dock things on your main userpage and show what you do and don't want to see. I'd love to see that structure for the audio front page as well as you said. Then have more on the bottom and maybe on the full chart page it pops up have the setting how it is now with the genres on the left or something. But the initial exposure on the audio front page is everything as that is all the majority of people seem to interact with.

Yeah that'd be perfect. :) Could maybe order genres by popularity even when they're all there, so new users will still have the most mainstream stuff show up first, if it's probably the stuff they want to see after all, yet easy to explore the other styles they might not have tried yet right after... wonder how the average user would interact with something like that. If they'd cut out all the things they're not into right away or actually give it a shot. Or just click away the guide and not think much about what they can do to transform that page.

Something like the userpage control on a lot of sections here would be pretty cool!

DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate

At 12/5/18 02:07 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 12/4/18 05:24 PM, IoTheEternal wrote: it would be a chart of ALL music styles, all on one chart, so you're exposed to all the types of music - otherwise you simply ignore types you're not into. You're kinda exposed to that with brand spanking new audio and the popular audio monthly yearly high ranking anyways.

That makes sense. Having so many choices at once would expose people to new types and brands.

Then have others you can choose to maybe dock on that page to check and others you can click away, with more at the bottom, kinda like how you can dock things on your main userpage and show what you do and don't want to see. I'd love to see that structure for the audio front page as well as you said.

Being able to move the docks around would be a great idea. It would be a nice way to customize things.

Then have more on the bottom and maybe on the full chart page it pops up have the setting how it is now with the genres on the left or something. But the initial exposure on the audio front page is everything as that is all the majority of people seem to interact with.

More info and choices on the bottom would be a great way to end things out.

Yeah that'd be perfect. :) Could maybe order genres by popularity even when they're all there, so new users will still have the most mainstream stuff show up first, if it's probably the stuff they want to see after all, yet easy to explore the other styles they might not have tried yet right after

Using popularity could help users scan everything. The easier to explore the better.

wonder how the average user would interact with something like that. If they'd cut out all the things they're not into right away or actually give it a shot. Or just click away the guide and not think much about what they can do to transform that page.

They would have the freedom to try it all out.

Something like the userpage control on a lot of sections here would be pretty cool!

Yes, it would really be a great idea.

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Writer
Response to Triple XP and Lots of News 2018-12-06 06:13:02 Reply

At 12/5/18 07:17 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: More info and choices on the bottom would be a great way to end things out.

Using popularity could help users scan everything. The easier to explore the better.

Glad you agree with all points too. :)

DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Triple XP and Lots of News 2018-12-06 19:22:38 Reply

At 12/6/18 06:13 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 12/5/18 07:17 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: More info and choices on the bottom would be a great way to end things out.

Glad you agree with all points too. :)

Yes, I do. We always do a great job of communicating and understanding each other. No surprise that we have been friends for over 12 or 13 years.

BBS Signature
Ganon-Dorf
Ganon-Dorf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Game Developer
Response to Triple XP and Lots of News 2018-12-07 01:29:57 Reply

I've noticed for the last two days that I get 20xp a day, is this the new norm? Or is there another special event going on?

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Writer

At 12/6/18 07:22 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: Yes, I do. We always do a great job of communicating and understanding each other. No surprise that we have been friends for over 12 or 13 years.

You lose track of time in this place. ;) For sure.

At 12/7/18 01:29 AM, Ganon-Dorf wrote: I've noticed for the last two days that I get 20xp a day, is this the new norm? Or is there another special event going on?

Oh, didn't notice that at all. It's been a special event during weekends only as far as has been announced, but maybe with the surplus of entries lately they've been giving out a little extra...

Noticed this morning that the stream of content in the Portal was no longer overflowing with UJ stuff, like it had been the latest 2-3 days. Maybe it was a quick fix for that. Really I hope I didn't miss the extra EXP there hmm...

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 22
Game Developer
Response to Triple XP and Lots of News 2018-12-07 06:07:32 Reply

At 12/7/18 01:29 AM, Ganon-Dorf wrote: I've noticed for the last two days that I get 20xp a day, is this the new norm? Or is there another special event going on?

We're doing double XP until this coming Thursday. I had actually prepped a big post that was going to announce this on Wednesday but I decided not to bump the current welcome post and instead edited it to mention the Double XP week. That was too low-key though.

Nightmare Cops, the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Triple XP and Lots of News 2018-12-07 15:12:53 Reply

At 12/7/18 05:04 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 12/6/18 07:22 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: Yes, I do. We always do a great job of communicating and understanding each other. No surprise that we have been friends for over 12 or 13 years.
You lose track of time in this place. ;) For sure.

You really do, but it a great way.

Yes, I noticed it, but did not want to make an announcement. I did not want to ruin it, by making a post and alerting everybody.

Oh, didn't notice that at all. It's been a special event during weekends only as far as has been announced, but maybe with the surplus of entries lately they've been giving out a little extra...

Its okay if you didn't know it. Most people don't pay attention to things like that. Except for me.

Noticed this morning that the stream of content in the Portal was no longer overflowing with UJ stuff, like it had been the latest 2-3 days. Maybe it was a quick fix for that. Really I hope I didn't miss the extra EXP there hmm...

Yes, submission shave finally been processed. Good to things the portal back to normal.

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Writer

At 12/7/18 03:12 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: You really do, but it a great way.

That's the truth!

Yes, submission shave finally been processed. Good to things the portal back to normal.

Good indeed.

And ah, it's all explained above too. Seems we'll be gathering some massive amounts of EXP for some time yet. :) Awesome news. Though some users are probably really missing out on this...