00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

aniMATING just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Summer Jam Winners & 2X-XP Weekend!

12,024 Views | 51 Replies
Respond to this Topic

We just wrapped up the final round of our Animation Summer Jams series, here are the results!

Basement Jam Winners (1st - 10th)

Great work everyone and thank you @PhantomArcade, @Spazkid and @IvanAlmighty for judging, as well as everyone who voted and served as the fourth judge.

This concludes our Summer Animation Jam series, which means it's time to announce the winners!

Summer Jam Winners

1. @KarlSia - 39 pts - $300
2. @BadTwinz - 28 pts - $200
3. @BrandyBuizel - 22 pts - $100
4. @DooderDoo - 20 pts
5. @KloudKat - 16 pts
6. @jazzhat - 13 pts
7. @antdung - 10 pts
8. @ade-syndicate - 9 pts

9 and 10 are a tie between @hellwink and @SnackerBoy, each with eight points.

Thank you everyone who participated this summer! @KarlSia, you really earned that #1 spot and elevated the whole event with your work.

We'll be awarding honorary Supporter Upgrades to anyone in the top ten who doesn't have one, so they can browse NG ad-free and enjoy other perks.

If you'd like to revisit the Animation Summer Jams entries, here they are:

1. Bad Dream Jam
2. Modern Robots, 1930s Animation Jam
3. Problems of the Future Jam
4. Sexy People Doing Ugly Things
5. Basement Jam

Thanks again to everyone who made something for the jams, as well as everyone who scored and reviewed the entries.

Double XP Weekend

This weekend both Saturday and Sunday will have double the XP limit, so you can vote on ten items and earn 20XP per day!

I do have a favor to ask, though.

It would be much appreciated if you could browse the Best of All Time on the Classic Portal page and vote on as many entries as possible.

The entries in the top 50 have scores above a 4.5, so even if you like them a lot, you can bring them down to earth a bit if you think they are more of a 4.5. Or maybe you think some of them aren't even a 4.

Older entries currently skew higher than new ones because their score data is based heavily on old reviews, which tended to score more favorably than votes. We ended anonymous voting in 2015 and stopped referencing the anonymous vote data with the launch of our Voting Overhaul this past month.

Everything is expected to fall in line as older content accumulates new score data. Thank you in advance if you help with this!

Next up is the Best of September and the deadline for our Super Crown Art Contest. We also have a small surprise in store for a handful of Inktober participants!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Jam Winners & 2X-XP Weekend! 2018-10-05 15:15:32

AWESOME!! The team and I are all very honored to have gotten 2nd place for the Basement Jam and 9th place for the overall Summer Jam! Thank you so much! :D

- Aʟᴇx E. -

ANIMATOR

MUSICIAN

Response to Summer Jam Winners & 2X-XP Weekend! 2018-10-05 15:16:46

AHHHHHH I WON THE BASEMENT JAM AND SECURED $200!!???

THANK YOU SO MUCH AHHH THIS IS AMAZING AHHHHH

WELL DONE TO KARLSIA FOR FIRST PLACE!

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Jam Winners & 2X-XP Weekend! 2018-10-05 15:20:15

At 10/5/18 03:16 PM, BadTwinZ wrote: AHHHHHH I WON THE BASEMENT JAM AND SECURED $200!!???

Your cartoon was awesome, dude! You absolutely deserve the top spot!

- Aʟᴇx E. -

ANIMATOR

MUSICIAN

Response to Summer Jam Winners & 2X-XP Weekend! 2018-10-05 15:21:57

At 10/5/18 03:16 PM, BadTwinZ wrote: AHHHHHH I WON THE BASEMENT JAM AND SECURED $200!!???

Karlsia sadly didnt participate in round 5 but STILL kicked both our asses. Congrats on 2nd, i got 3rd!

Response to Summer Jam Winners & 2X-XP Weekend! 2018-10-05 15:26:58

At 10/5/18 03:21 PM, BrandyBuizel wrote:

Karlsia sadly didnt participate in round 5 but STILL kicked both our asses. Congrats on 2nd, i got 3rd!

He deserved it. But respects for getting 3rd Place man!! You did awesome. I'd buy you and Karl a nice refreshing pint ;P

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Jam Winners & 2X-XP Weekend! 2018-10-05 15:27:27

I'm glad to see so many people liked Inferno Cellar! It was a fun one to do. just wanna congratulate my boy @BrandyBuizel
for coming 3rd in the overall summer jams (and posting his entries at the last minute get your shit together man)

the Supporter status is awesome congrats to the winners!!

Come on down to Fulpstation, baby

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Jam Winners & 2X-XP Weekend! 2018-10-05 15:27:50

WOW WOW WOW!!! I never imagined getting in the top ten at all let alone fifth place! Thanks for the votes guys! Hopefully next time I can finish all my cartoons in time!

Response to Summer Jam Winners & 2X-XP Weekend! 2018-10-05 15:53:53

At 10/5/18 03:01 PM, TomFulp wrote:
Double XP Weekend

This weekend both Saturday and Sunday will have double the XP limit, so you can vote on ten items and earn 20XP per day!

Glad to see that you read all my PMs and went with my idea. :)

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Jam Winners & 2X-XP Weekend! 2018-10-05 16:05:20

Thrilled to have made the top 10, I had hoped to submit more entries but life got a little too busy over the summer. Congrats to everyone who placed, there was so much great animation from everyone!

Response to Summer Jam Winners & 2X-XP Weekend! 2018-10-05 16:06:45

I'm liking these double XP weekends. I'm in the minority, but they should be permanent on weekends.

I really don't know what to put on here.

Response to Summer Jam Winners & 2X-XP Weekend! 2018-10-05 16:30:45

Oh neat, I honestly wasn't expecting my basement jam to place at all, so I'm happy I at least got tenth there! Congrats to all the summer jam winners too, especially Karl Sia, god damn he made some sweet shit this summer.
Hope to see the summer jam come back next year, because this was a shit ton of fun!

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Jam Winners & 2X-XP Weekend! 2018-10-05 16:41:13

Congrats to the winners, had a blast watching everyone's crazy ideas that came from each topic

Response to Summer Jam Winners & 2X-XP Weekend! 2018-10-05 17:04:35

At 10/5/18 04:06 PM, theadhx wrote: I'm liking these double XP weekends. I'm in the minority, but they should be permanent on weekends.

Double XP weekends are the best thing that NewGrounds has ever done. I would enjoy them every other weekend, that way you get a chance to plan your computer versus vacation time.

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Jam Winners & 2X-XP Weekend! 2018-10-05 17:11:26

Congrats to all the winners of the Basement Jam and the Summer Jam. Sadly, I didn't get to have time to watch and review all of them this time, but the ones I've watched were ver well done and creative. I'm sure I'll get around to watching them all eventualy.

At 10/5/18 03:01 PM, TomFulp wrote: I do have a favor to ask, though.

It would be much appreciated if you could browse the Best of All Time on the Classic Portal page and vote on as many entries as possible.

This sounds like one of those quests with very high XP rewards. In this case, I accept your quest, Lord Fulp!

The Original Hip Cat

{Be Rational} {You've been...}

Response to Summer Jam Winners & 2X-XP Weekend! 2018-10-05 18:04:16

I discovered Newgrounds back in 2003. I was really jealous and inspired by all the animations. I would come back from school just watch constant animations. I'd say this one of the reasons why I wanted to become an animator.

15 years later, I didn't think to achieve this. Thank you again you guys. Im sure this Won't be the first and last time. :)

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Jam Winners & 2X-XP Weekend! 2018-10-05 18:25:17

Congrats to all the winners and KarlSia really deserved this. Thank you everyone who participated, too, you made these Summer Jams a blast! Also, it seems the double XP weekends are catching on, eh, Tom?

"We must fight against the machines"-The Ninja Society of Newgrounds | Join me in worship!

Name sig by Decky, Gods sig by Jackho

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Jam Winners & 2X-XP Weekend! 2018-10-05 20:12:07

I had a really fun time animating for this.

(my personal favourite was Inferno cellar.)

Came for the dick jokes, stayed for the pals I made.

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Jam Winners & 2X-XP Weekend! 2018-10-05 21:41:01

At 10/5/18 03:01 PM, TomFulp wrote: We just wrapped up the final round of our Animation Summer Jams series, here are the results!

Congrats to the winners! Great animations.

Please also consider visiting the audio portal. Same issue, way fewer voters. At this rate the 100+ pages of 5-star music will be sorted out by 2023...

Audio/BBS/Movies&Games moderator. Flag stolen content, don't be a dingus.

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Jam Winners & 2X-XP Weekend! 2018-10-05 21:49:50

Woah! We got second place? Amazing!!

At 10/5/18 03:15 PM, ade-syndicate wrote: AWESOME!! The team and I are all very honored to have gotten 2nd place for the Basement Jam and 9th place for the overall Summer Jam! Thank you so much! :D

Response to Summer Jam Winners & 2X-XP Weekend! 2018-10-06 02:52:55

If you're aiming to get more votes on pre-anonymous voting submissions, why not have a double XP weekend, but you need to vote on things submitted during the anonymous voting era to get the extra XP? Assuming it wouldn't be an enormous pain in the ass to implement, that is.

Response to Summer Jam Winners & 2X-XP Weekend! 2018-10-06 05:43:58

Many-many thanks to all who contributed to this amazin contest

"Please don't tap on the glass. Penguins can see and hear you alright. They just don't care."

Response to Summer Jam Winners & 2X-XP Weekend! 2018-10-06 06:13:49

Congrats to everyone! Solid showing for every single one of these entries.

Also, always happy to get some extra XP, to make up for the thousands of deposits I've missed.

Meet the Mayor.

Response to Summer Jam Winners & 2X-XP Weekend! 2018-10-06 08:22:02

At 10/5/18 10:19 PM, thepixelizer wrote: So does that effects the musics' rating too'?

It definitely does. :(

Audio/BBS/Movies&Games moderator. Flag stolen content, don't be a dingus.

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Jam Winners & 2X-XP Weekend! 2018-10-06 10:59:42

At 10/6/18 02:52 AM, Lambtaco wrote: If you're aiming to get more votes on pre-anonymous voting submissions, why not have a double XP weekend, but you need to vote on things submitted during the anonymous voting era to get the extra XP? Assuming it wouldn't be an enormous pain in the ass to implement, that is.

That is a nice idea, but would be to hard to accomplish. You have to trust people with the power of a Double XP weekend. Especially, if we want to have them more often.

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Jam Winners & 2X-XP Weekend! 2018-10-06 12:19:51

Oh, nice, another double XP weekend! Maybe this will help me cover up the... 3.5 years I've missed... yikes

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Jam Winners & 2X-XP Weekend! 2018-10-06 13:56:30

At 10/5/18 10:19 PM, thepixelizer wrote:
At 10/5/18 03:01 PM, TomFulp wrote: Older entries currently skew higher than new ones because their score data is based heavily on old reviews, which tended to score more favorably than votes. We ended anonymous voting in 2015 and stopped referencing the anonymous vote data with the launch of our Voting Overhaul this past month.
So does that effects the musics' rating too'?

Yeah we'll have to laser focus everyone on music one of these weekends as well.

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Jam Winners & 2X-XP Weekend! 2018-10-06 13:59:52

At 10/6/18 02:52 AM, Lambtaco wrote: If you're aiming to get more votes on pre-anonymous voting submissions, why not have a double XP weekend, but you need to vote on things submitted during the anonymous voting era to get the extra XP? Assuming it wouldn't be an enormous pain in the ass to implement, that is.

I'd love to try something like that but little short-term-use features like that do derail all the big things we're trying to get done, so it comes down to trying to get the community to step up vs making the developers step away from the bigger site goals.

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Jam Winners & 2X-XP Weekend! 2018-10-06 14:18:18

At 10/5/18 03:01 PM, TomFulp wrote: Double XP Weekend

These double XP events will make it harder to keep track of deposits, but I like it.

int experience, posts;

while(experience/10 >= posts)

{posts++};

Response to Summer Jam Winners & 2X-XP Weekend! 2018-10-06 22:36:41

At 10/6/18 02:18 PM, someone-else wrote:
At 10/5/18 03:01 PM, TomFulp wrote: Double XP Weekend

so you can vote on ten items and earn 20XP per day!
These double XP events will make it harder to keep track of deposits, but I like it.

You have to respect and honor any double XP event. They are truly wonderful events.

BBS Signature