00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Allthingz2020 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Remix Contest (Sponsored Prizes!!!)

2,173 Views | 23 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

hey guys! I started sharing my music on Newgrounds almost TEN years ago, and I wanted to share an opportunity with the community that first inspired me and helped me learn to be a better producer and musician.

I've been fortunate enough to secure sponsorship and an assortment of really high quality prizes from software company MAGIX to host a remix contest for a song I produced.

1st place winner gets a set of the music hardware FreeDrum which is an insanely cool piece of equipment. Plus an assortment of software products including VSTs, Sample Packs, the ACID Pro DAW, a midi keyboard, and studio monitor isolation pads.

2nd and 3rd place also get some really nice prizes but you can find the full details on the contest page.

Finally, I don't estimate there being a crazy amount of entries, just by participating you will likely have a high chance of winning something!!!

Contest page:
https://meltomusic.com/contest/

I would be so happy to see some of you guys from the NG community come and participate, I'm looking forward to connecting with you all :)

Response to Remix Contest (Sponsored Prizes!!!) 2018-09-26 15:24:34

Awesome stuff :)

BBS Signature

Response to Remix Contest (Sponsored Prizes!!!) 2018-09-26 17:33:43

Awesome stuff except 1) I already have a copy of Acid Pro that's meant to come my way from a previous contest, 2) I don't think I can fulfil the time limit on this one, I'm afraid.

And it breaks my heart because I'm a drummer and am desperate to get anything to help me get better. Ah well.

Response to Remix Contest (Sponsored Prizes!!!) 2018-09-27 01:20:00

At 9/26/18 05:33 PM, Troisnyx wrote: Awesome stuff except 1) I already have a copy of Acid Pro that's meant to come my way from a previous contest, 2) I don't think I can fulfil the time limit on this one, I'm afraid.

And it breaks my heart because I'm a drummer and am desperate to get anything to help me get better. Ah well.

That's a bummer I really like your music! But I totally understand. Yeah the freedrum things makes me wish I could enter my own contest LOL

Response to Remix Contest (Sponsored Prizes!!!) 2018-09-27 14:00:46

At 9/27/18 09:07 AM, NekoMika wrote: @TomFulp

Worth adding to the NG calender?

ty :)

Response to Remix Contest (Sponsored Prizes!!!) 2018-09-27 15:49:32

@DetiousMusic @JordanKyser @FGK2015 @EMBL3M @Lockyn @IoriLicea @MegaSphere

Tagging for interest. Please tag those whom you feel would be up for this contest!

Response to Remix Contest (Sponsored Prizes!!!) 2018-09-28 18:20:28

At 9/27/18 03:49 PM, Troisnyx wrote: @DetiousMusic @JordanKyser @FGK2015 @EMBL3M @Lockyn @IoriLicea @MegaSphere

Tagging for interest. Please tag those whom you feel would be up for this contest!

Appreciate the mention as always, Troisnyx. Unfortunately real life is smashing my free time. Best of luck to all contestants!

Response to Remix Contest (Sponsored Prizes!!!) 2018-09-29 16:00:29

10th October. That's...not a lot of time.
Eh, I'll make it work.

Bandcamp | Ko-Fi | John Wall of Sound's Bandcamp

one of these days i'll have a proper website lmao

Response to Remix Contest (Sponsored Prizes!!!) 2018-09-29 21:34:59

Only the 1st place prizes worth something, you can't make shit with other prizes, especially Magix copyright bullshit on their samples. Also ayy lmao who the fuck use sample pack as prize?

Response to Remix Contest (Sponsored Prizes!!!) 2018-09-29 22:42:13

At 9/29/18 09:34 PM, I0TA wrote: especially Magix copyright bullshit on their samples.

The MAGIX products listed are VST’s and should be fine. The issue with MAGIX licensing is (mostly) with Music Maker Jam and the non-commercial licensed DAWs.

The samples are a separate company, I’d have to read their ToS but should be fine.

this post is clarification, not endorsement

Flag stolen content, don't be a dingus.

BBS Signature

Response to Remix Contest (Sponsored Prizes!!!) 2018-09-30 02:09:13

At 9/29/18 09:34 PM, I0TA wrote: Only the 1st place prizes worth something, you can't make shit with other prizes, especially Magix copyright bullshit on their samples. Also ayy lmao who the fuck use sample pack as prize?

No MAGIX sample packs are included in the prize pool but the ones that are (mine) = royalty free. Sorry you're not happy with the prizes, you certainly don't have to enter.

Response to Remix Contest (Sponsored Prizes!!!) 2018-09-30 08:58:58

At 9/29/18 04:00 PM, Yoshiii343 wrote: 10th October. That's...not a lot of time.
Eh, I'll make it work.

That's way too little for most people. My remix competition I gave over a month. It was plenty of time. This is too little!

You got dat?

BBS Signature

Response to Remix Contest (Sponsored Prizes!!!) 2018-09-30 09:15:35

At 9/30/18 08:58 AM, Zophar wrote: He might add it after mine is done.

It's on the calendar already. See below.

As for the timeline, yeah it's kind of short :( maybe MacMelto can consider a better advanced notice for future contests.

Hopefully some folks are able to participate.

Flag stolen content, don't be a dingus.

BBS Signature

Response to Remix Contest (Sponsored Prizes!!!) 2018-09-30 15:19:19

At 9/30/18 09:15 AM, Peregrinus wrote:
At 9/30/18 08:58 AM, Zophar wrote: He might add it after mine is done.
It's on the calendar already. See below.

As for the timeline, yeah it's kind of short :( maybe MacMelto can consider a better advanced notice for future contests.

Hopefully some folks are able to participate.

You're absolutely right ideally ~1 month would have been better. Timeline was tricky given the grand prize is an unreleased product bundle so I had to make efforts to fit my contest into their promotional efforts for their product release. Thank you for the feedback!

Response to Remix Contest (Sponsored Prizes!!!) 2018-10-01 21:55:42

I can't wait to see the entries!

lmms is the best daw on earth and no one can tell me otherwise

Really wanted to participate in this, but the vocals are pretty much impossible to work with. I understand fully well the struggles of not having proper recording equipment and location, but while I can tweak and cheat when I record myself, it's pretty difficult deal with someone else's processed vocals if I find it unsatisfactory.
If you ever do more contests like this, (please do, love the initiative) I would suggest adding the raw, unprocessed vocals as well. I think it would be a good learning experience hearing how other people process your recording.

But again, I fully understand the struggles, and I'm no expert myself. Just think you would get a lot higher quality submissions this way. Really dig the song and the vocals, and I wish you good luck with the contest :).
__

Ps. It doesn't really matter, but just thought I'd mention the problems I had with the recording:

-There's this wierd, low pitch slide when the singer transitions from a low to a high note. This often happens when Autotune pitches low glide notes.

- The microphone distorts a lot as soon as soon as the volume gets too high. Most budget microphones do this, and the best way to deal with it is just to avoid singing loudly or step a bit away from the mic. You really don't need that much volume, but since the singer sings the low notes loud instead of mellow, he ends singing even louder when he reaches the higher notes.

- And last, but not least, this is the main reason why I found the vocal difficult to use, It kinda sounds like you've done some eq'ing to try and fix the original recording, and thus removing most of the good frequencies where this kind of voice shines in. Due to this the vocals don't really cut through the mix, and I can't really eq back cut frequencies. If I'm wrong and you haven't done any eq'ing at all, I would highly recommend that whoever recorded this gets a new mic, or makes sure that he sings into the right side of the microphone. The recording overall is pretty much exactly what I get when I sing into the back part of my microphone, and while it sounds like a stupid mistake, you never know.

But again, I'm no expert. Just thought I'd give some tips for the future..

Just a random idiot

Response to Remix Contest (Sponsored Prizes!!!) 2018-10-02 23:06:55

Please check my songs lmao.

Response to Remix Contest (Sponsored Prizes!!!) 2018-10-03 23:00:51

ok. i'll try!

Response to Remix Contest (Sponsored Prizes!!!) 2018-10-05 14:04:44

At 10/5/18 01:44 PM, zelazon wrote: haven't used this meme in awhile...

I'm in.

Love it. Good luck!

I haven't updated this list with all submissions yet, but they will be added into this playlist:

https://soundcloud.com/meltomusic/sets/like-me-remixes

At 10/5/18 02:04 PM, MacMelto wrote:
At 10/5/18 01:44 PM, zelazon wrote: haven't used this meme in awhile...

I'm in.
Love it. Good luck!

I haven't updated this list with all submissions yet, but they will be added into this playlist:

https://soundcloud.com/meltomusic/sets/like-me-remixes

Sorry, other link doesn't work, and you have to follow through the link (rather than the embed).

Playlist: https://soundcloud.com/meltomusic/sets/like-me-remixes/s-bwr26

Response to Remix Contest (Sponsored Prizes!!!) 2018-10-08 01:21:30

Imma abstain from this, because I suck but good luck to everyone

Lurker for a long time, first account with uploads.

BBS Signature

Response to Remix Contest (Sponsored Prizes!!!) 2018-10-09 16:42:19

Already submitted my entry. Now time to play the waiting game.

Response to Remix Contest (Sponsored Prizes!!!) 2018-10-10 10:42:03

Nice contest, good luck for any who participated ^^

SpotifyYouTubeDiscordBandcampTwitterFacebook

BBS Signature

Response to Remix Contest (Sponsored Prizes!!!) 2018-10-11 11:35:36

At 10/10/18 09:27 PM, zelazon wrote: How will we know about the results of this contest? Additionally, when is the timeframe for the results to occur?

I'm listening through results as we speak! Once artist Sam Louis listens through the remixes, we will choose a top three from our collective favorites. I don't expect it will take us longer than 1-2 days. I will have a full contest overview at my website when results are in at:

https://meltomusic.com/news

I'll also be sending out a newsletter announcing the winners + notifying directly. Thanks to all who participated there were a ton of great remixes!