00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

aniMATING just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul

8,101 Views | 86 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Tomorrow, September 22nd, is Madness Day here on NG and to celebrate, we're giving everyone the opportunity to snag 22XP!

All you need to do is vote on 11 items tomorrow, whether it's animation, games, art or audio. You'll get 2XP for each vote.

This officially begins at 9AM EST so @liljim can get some sleep and be around in case something breaks. He's had a busy week. You can get the traditional 10XP before 9am then grab 12 more after.

UPDATE: We set 22XP live at 7am. I got mine!

If you missed it, we released a big voting overhaul yesterday.

To summarize again:

1) You now gain 2XP the moment you score any content, 10XP per day max. Previously you had to vote on five games and/or movies before logging 10XP as a single deposit.

2) The Pico voting bar and review score bar have been merged into a single score bar, featuring tankman Steve, illustrated by @IvanAlmighty.

3) You can now edit both your score and review. You can delete your review, too.

4) You still have to score a submission in order to review it but you can now hide your score if you aren't into that sort of thing; we've talked to a lot of artists who aren't.

5) You can now react to reviews with emotes, in place of the old +/- system.

6) Not mentioned yesterday - Eulogy pages are now mobile friendly and include review responses. Enjoy, @Cyberdevil!

To explain our voting system; prior to 2015, you could vote on the same entry every day if you wanted to and keep driving its score up or down (this is where the term zero bombing started). We logged the votes but we didn't keep any long-term logs of who had cast the vote.

Starting in 2015, we changed the system to allow one vote per user per submission.

Yesterday, we did a merge. If you reviewed a piece of content at any point in NG history, your review score is now your vote score for that piece of content. Otherwise, if you voted on something after 2015, that vote data is still on record unless it was replaced by your review score.

We are now ignoring the "anonymous" vote data from 2000-2015.

As a result, we have old submissions with lower vote totals and high scores that might not best reflect community consensus.

Now would be a GREAT time to browse the Best of All Time rankings and give some honest scores to the submissions you see. We expect everything to self-correct with time.

The Best of All Time list updates once every four hours, giving you a chance to check in throughout the day and weigh in on a batch of new top entries.

See you here for the Madness tomorrow!

SATURDAY UPDATE:

Happy Madness Day! The front page artist news appears to be broken. Go browse this list to see what everyone is up to!

Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

At 9/21/18 04:25 PM, TomFulp wrote: Tomorrow, September 22nd, is Madness Day here on NG and to celebrate, we're giving everyone the opportunity to snag 22XP!

See you here for the Madness tomorrow!

I will be there. Happy Madness Day 2018.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul 2018-09-21 16:43:41

No more Pico votes, huh? That's too bad...

Response to Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul 2018-09-21 16:48:00

Hmm none of the vote buttons are appearing for me now

BBS Signature

Response to Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul 2018-09-21 17:11:14

At 9/21/18 04:48 PM, Eggy wrote: Hmm none of the vote buttons are appearing for me now

Do you see the row of stars with tankman Steve, below the the author comments?

BBS Signature

Response to Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul 2018-09-21 17:16:31

At 9/21/18 05:11 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 9/21/18 04:48 PM, Eggy wrote: Hmm none of the vote buttons are appearing for me now

Oh right yes sorry! I thought that was the review score since it was similiar to old one there :P

BBS Signature

Response to Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul 2018-09-21 17:24:46

Yay so I'll level up a day early

Response to Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul 2018-09-21 17:37:15

With the review/ voting overhaul, does Judgement still work the same way? Do movies/ games still need a certain score/ number of ratings to pass?

Now that I have a second chance at giving my opinion, I wonder if I should really imply something shouldn't have passed Judgement with a very low score. Condensing all my thoughts into a number can be hard, but the Judgement system is still one of the places where a number matters.

Response to Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul 2018-09-21 17:43:58

Double xp weekends better not be a thing

Response to Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul 2018-09-21 17:44:25

At 9/21/18 05:43 PM, BrandyBuizel wrote: Double xp weekends better not be a thing

:3

BBS Signature

Response to Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul 2018-09-21 17:45:26

At 9/21/18 05:37 PM, arghjustkillme wrote: With the review/ voting overhaul, does Judgement still work the same way? Do movies/ games still need a certain score/ number of ratings to pass?

Yes, judgment still works the same way. Once a submission passes judgment, it won't be blammed if someone edits their score to be lower.

BBS Signature

Response to Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul 2018-09-21 18:13:44

Yay! Now I can make up for lost time!

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul 2018-09-21 18:26:21

At 9/21/18 05:44 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 9/21/18 05:43 PM, BrandyBuizel wrote: Double xp weekends better not be a thing

Is this going to be every weekend? If so then im overjoyed

Response to Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul 2018-09-21 18:28:36

At 9/21/18 06:26 PM, Kieran wrote:
At 9/21/18 05:44 PM, TomFulp wrote:

I think it would be a cool thing to do on weekends.

BBS Signature

Response to Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul 2018-09-21 18:29:51

At 9/21/18 05:45 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 9/21/18 05:37 PM, arghjustkillme wrote: With the review/ voting overhaul, does Judgement still work the same way? Do movies/ games still need a certain score/ number of ratings to pass?
Yes, judgment still works the same way. Once a submission passes judgment, it won't be blammed if someone edits their score to be lower.

So in theory, this could result in the worlds first 0 star submission that stays on the site? Say if literally everyone changed their score? INTERESTING

sicko mode

BBS Signature

Response to Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul 2018-09-21 18:33:34

Double xp weekends better not be a thing

Yea

Response to Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul 2018-09-21 18:34:01

At 9/21/18 06:28 PM, TomFulp wrote:

Wow, that would be an awesome new addition to NewGrounds.

BBS Signature

Response to Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul 2018-09-21 18:46:23

I wish we had unlimited exp per day but thats just a dream

Response to Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul 2018-09-21 18:50:19

At 9/21/18 06:46 PM, Kieran wrote: I wish we had unlimited exp per day but thats just a dream

I have had that dream many nights for the last fourteen years.

BBS Signature

Response to Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul 2018-09-21 18:56:30

At 9/21/18 04:25 PM, TomFulp wrote: 1) You now gain 2XP the moment you score any content, 10XP per day max. Previously you had to vote on five games and/or movies before logging 10XP as a single deposit.

I love this so much! I can't tell you how many times I didn't deposit for a day because I only voted on 4 things.

A potential feature for the site I've been thinking about recently, I don't know if it's been brought up before or anything like that, is scheduled publishing. It would be great if we could upload, say, a regularly scheduled episode a few hours early and have it scheduled to auto-publish at a certain time.
(I'm going to feel like an idiot if this is already a thing and I've just never seen it.)

Response to Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul 2018-09-21 19:10:29

At 9/21/18 06:29 PM, ninjamuffin99 wrote:
At 9/21/18 05:45 PM, TomFulp wrote:
So in theory, this could result in the worlds first 0 star submission that stays on the site? Say if literally everyone changed their score? INTERESTING

I suppose that could be useful to the community if something had such glaring flaws that it would be easy to learn from them. It could be given a probationary pass and then preserved as an example of what not to do. This might make an interesting project that explores the potential of the review system.

Response to Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul 2018-09-21 20:06:25

I like the new voting system lets you adjust it b

Response to Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul 2018-09-21 20:35:20

22XP? Tomorrow? I guess that makes up for the 4XP I didn't get yesterday with the 8XP glitch. Thank you, Tom Fulp...

I really don't know what to put on here.

Response to Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul 2018-09-21 20:37:40

I really like that I can finally change my votes. I misclicked a lot on mobile and now I no longer have to carry the weight of knowing that I voted 2 on a submission that deserved a 3!

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul 2018-09-21 20:43:43

ssiiiiicckkk madness day, just in time :D

BBS Signature

Response to Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul 2018-09-21 20:50:11

I like that double XP comes from voting twice as much, and not just doubling the XP of a single vote. It feels like it's for the benefit of the authors and not just the users.

Looking at the top 50 of all time I noticed something. A lot of it is very cringey. Stuff 12yo kids would find really cool. I guess we've just matured past that as a site. What is the average age of a Newgrounds user now? I know it used to be pretty young, but now it's a hub or creators instead of a place or kids to play games where they murder celebrities.

Response to Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul 2018-09-21 20:50:52

Gonna try to get my madness drawing done for tomorrow

BBS Signature

Response to Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul 2018-09-22 00:36:50

Sounds good nice and nifty changes I do wish the review box was larger like it was before but I will adjust to the changes. I know it scrolls but was nice with the bigger review box

Anyways thanks for the updates

~X~

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

[] The Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] COMIC >> WAYNES WORLD

BBS Signature

Response to Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul 2018-09-22 02:48:22

At 9/21/18 06:34 PM, IoTheEternal wrote:
At 9/21/18 05:16 PM, Eggy wrote:
At 9/21/18 05:11 PM, TomFulp wrote:
Oh right yes sorry! I thought that was the review score since it was similiar to old one there :P
this is gonna be an issue - people are now gonna think there is no voting haha and be like well I dont wanna review it, so I am just not gonna vote - you're gonna be left with a vacuum of votes of people who think you can only rate through a review and just choose not to vote at all. Kiiinda like you already have now.

We recorded over 10% more votes yesterday than on any previous day since we started recording one vote per person, so I dunno I guess people do get it.

Response to Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul 2018-09-22 03:17:00

With how many days I've missed, I'll gladly take a bonus couple XP points.
Happy Madness Day!

Meet the Mayor.