Respond to this Topic
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 22
Game Developer

Tomorrow, September 22nd, is Madness Day here on NG and to celebrate, we're giving everyone the opportunity to snag 22XP!

All you need to do is vote on 11 items tomorrow, whether it's animation, games, art or audio. You'll get 2XP for each vote.

This officially begins at 9AM EST so @liljim can get some sleep and be around in case something breaks. He's had a busy week. You can get the traditional 10XP before 9am then grab 12 more after.

UPDATE: We set 22XP live at 7am. I got mine!

If you missed it, we released a big voting overhaul yesterday.

To summarize again:

1) You now gain 2XP the moment you score any content, 10XP per day max. Previously you had to vote on five games and/or movies before logging 10XP as a single deposit.

2) The Pico voting bar and review score bar have been merged into a single score bar, featuring tankman Steve, illustrated by @IvanAlmighty.

3) You can now edit both your score and review. You can delete your review, too.

4) You still have to score a submission in order to review it but you can now hide your score if you aren't into that sort of thing; we've talked to a lot of artists who aren't.

5) You can now react to reviews with emotes, in place of the old +/- system.

6) Not mentioned yesterday - Eulogy pages are now mobile friendly and include review responses. Enjoy, @Cyberdevil!

To explain our voting system; prior to 2015, you could vote on the same entry every day if you wanted to and keep driving its score up or down (this is where the term zero bombing started). We logged the votes but we didn't keep any long-term logs of who had cast the vote.

Starting in 2015, we changed the system to allow one vote per user per submission.

Yesterday, we did a merge. If you reviewed a piece of content at any point in NG history, your review score is now your vote score for that piece of content. Otherwise, if you voted on something after 2015, that vote data is still on record unless it was replaced by your review score.

We are now ignoring the "anonymous" vote data from 2000-2015.

As a result, we have old submissions with lower vote totals and high scores that might not best reflect community consensus.

Now would be a GREAT time to browse the Best of All Time rankings and give some honest scores to the submissions you see. We expect everything to self-correct with time.

The Best of All Time list updates once every four hours, giving you a chance to check in throughout the day and weigh in on a batch of new top entries.

See you here for the Madness tomorrow!

SATURDAY UPDATE:

Happy Madness Day! The front page artist news appears to be broken. Go browse this list to see what everyone is up to!

Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul

Nightmare Cops, the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate

At 9/21/18 04:25 PM, TomFulp wrote: Tomorrow, September 22nd, is Madness Day here on NG and to celebrate, we're giving everyone the opportunity to snag 22XP!

See you here for the Madness tomorrow!

I will be there. Happy Madness Day 2018.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics
Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature
BronzeHeart92
BronzeHeart92
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul 2018-09-21 16:43:41 Reply

No more Pico votes, huh? That's too bad...

Eggy
Eggy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Game Developer
Response to Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul 2018-09-21 16:48:00 Reply

Hmm none of the vote buttons are appearing for me now

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 22
Game Developer
Response to Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul 2018-09-21 17:11:14 Reply

At 9/21/18 04:48 PM, Eggy wrote: Hmm none of the vote buttons are appearing for me now

Do you see the row of stars with tankman Steve, below the the author comments?

BBS Signature
Eggy
Eggy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Game Developer
Response to Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul 2018-09-21 17:16:31 Reply

At 9/21/18 05:11 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 9/21/18 04:48 PM, Eggy wrote: Hmm none of the vote buttons are appearing for me now

Oh right yes sorry! I thought that was the review score since it was similiar to old one there :P

BBS Signature
Kieran
Kieran
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul 2018-09-21 17:24:46 Reply

Yay so I'll level up a day early

arghjustkillme
arghjustkillme
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul 2018-09-21 17:37:15 Reply

With the review/ voting overhaul, does Judgement still work the same way? Do movies/ games still need a certain score/ number of ratings to pass?

Now that I have a second chance at giving my opinion, I wonder if I should really imply something shouldn't have passed Judgement with a very low score. Condensing all my thoughts into a number can be hard, but the Judgement system is still one of the places where a number matters.

BrandyBuizel
BrandyBuizel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Melancholy
Response to Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul 2018-09-21 17:43:58 Reply

Double xp weekends better not be a thing

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 22
Game Developer
Response to Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul 2018-09-21 17:44:25 Reply

At 9/21/18 05:43 PM, BrandyBuizel wrote: Double xp weekends better not be a thing

:3

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 22
Game Developer
Response to Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul 2018-09-21 17:45:26 Reply

At 9/21/18 05:37 PM, arghjustkillme wrote: With the review/ voting overhaul, does Judgement still work the same way? Do movies/ games still need a certain score/ number of ratings to pass?

Yes, judgment still works the same way. Once a submission passes judgment, it won't be blammed if someone edits their score to be lower.

BBS Signature
Painbringer
Painbringer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Animator
Kieran
Kieran
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul 2018-09-21 18:26:21 Reply

At 9/21/18 05:44 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 9/21/18 05:43 PM, BrandyBuizel wrote: Double xp weekends better not be a thing

Is this going to be every weekend? If so then im overjoyed

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 22
Game Developer
Response to Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul 2018-09-21 18:28:36 Reply

At 9/21/18 06:26 PM, Kieran wrote:
At 9/21/18 05:44 PM, TomFulp wrote:

I think it would be a cool thing to do on weekends.

BBS Signature
ninjamuffin99
ninjamuffin99
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Game Developer
Response to Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul 2018-09-21 18:29:51 Reply

At 9/21/18 05:45 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 9/21/18 05:37 PM, arghjustkillme wrote: With the review/ voting overhaul, does Judgement still work the same way? Do movies/ games still need a certain score/ number of ratings to pass?
Yes, judgment still works the same way. Once a submission passes judgment, it won't be blammed if someone edits their score to be lower.

So in theory, this could result in the worlds first 0 star submission that stays on the site? Say if literally everyone changed their score? INTERESTING

RIP STATICSKULL NEVER FORGET

BBS Signature
Kieran
Kieran
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul 2018-09-21 18:33:34 Reply

Double xp weekends better not be a thing

Yea

DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul 2018-09-21 18:34:01 Reply

At 9/21/18 06:28 PM, TomFulp wrote:

Wow, that would be an awesome new addition to NewGrounds.

BBS Signature
IoTheEternal
IoTheEternal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 14
Audiophile

At 9/21/18 05:16 PM, Eggy wrote:
At 9/21/18 05:11 PM, TomFulp wrote:
Oh right yes sorry! I thought that was the review score since it was similiar to old one there :P

this is gonna be an issue - people are now gonna think there is no voting haha and be like well I dont wanna review it, so I am just not gonna vote - you're gonna be left with a vacuum of votes of people who think you can only rate through a review and just choose not to vote at all. Kiiinda like you already have now.

I originally didn't think you could vote without leaving a review as there is no real indication that you voted by clicking the stars - only by refreshing do you see the overall vote change. It would be cool if somehow the score changed for the piece in real time so you didn't have to refresh. It is nice though that I can see how the score changes as I change the vote.. so that I am not totally obliterating a song - that's one thing you have to worry about when your voting weight gets high is that you can absolutely crush a song by accident (or you might not crush it enough and might need to go lower haha) - now you get to vote to get a score up or down to a specific level, not just to give a score..

Kieran
Kieran
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul 2018-09-21 18:46:23 Reply

I wish we had unlimited exp per day but thats just a dream

JosephStarr
JosephStarr
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 22
Art Lover
Response to Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul 2018-09-21 18:48:19 Reply

At 9/21/18 06:29 PM, ninjamuffin99 wrote: So in theory, this could result in the worlds first 0 star submission that stays on the site? Say if literally everyone changed their score? INTERESTING

Anybody have a submission they don't really care about that we can test this on?
It would be interesting just to try.

Outdated ideals and crackpot solutions with a face you can trust. You're welcome.

BBS Signature
DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul 2018-09-21 18:50:19 Reply

At 9/21/18 06:46 PM, Kieran wrote: I wish we had unlimited exp per day but thats just a dream

I have had that dream many nights for the last fourteen years.

BBS Signature
GoodL
GoodL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul 2018-09-21 18:56:30 Reply

At 9/21/18 04:25 PM, TomFulp wrote: 1) You now gain 2XP the moment you score any content, 10XP per day max. Previously you had to vote on five games and/or movies before logging 10XP as a single deposit.

I love this so much! I can't tell you how many times I didn't deposit for a day because I only voted on 4 things.

A potential feature for the site I've been thinking about recently, I don't know if it's been brought up before or anything like that, is scheduled publishing. It would be great if we could upload, say, a regularly scheduled episode a few hours early and have it scheduled to auto-publish at a certain time.
(I'm going to feel like an idiot if this is already a thing and I've just never seen it.)

vegetto3230
vegetto3230
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul 2018-09-21 19:09:41 Reply

tommorow will be a special day on newgrounds, i can't wait for this!

you think that this punches and ki blasts have effect on me? if you don't know:im the ultimate fusion!

arghjustkillme
arghjustkillme
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul 2018-09-21 19:10:29 Reply

At 9/21/18 06:29 PM, ninjamuffin99 wrote:
At 9/21/18 05:45 PM, TomFulp wrote:
So in theory, this could result in the worlds first 0 star submission that stays on the site? Say if literally everyone changed their score? INTERESTING

I suppose that could be useful to the community if something had such glaring flaws that it would be easy to learn from them. It could be given a probationary pass and then preserved as an example of what not to do. This might make an interesting project that explores the potential of the review system.

yurgenburgen
yurgenburgen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Artist
Response to Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul 2018-09-21 19:51:25 Reply

thank you tom and liljim for all your hard work and i spent a great number of minutes this morning refreshing the first submission i viewed repeatedly waiting for the voting panel to appear before realising it was a mere inch to the right

Kpeterson88
Kpeterson88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Artist
Response to Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul 2018-09-21 20:06:25 Reply

I like the new voting system lets you adjust it b

theadhx
theadhx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Animator
Response to Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul 2018-09-21 20:35:20 Reply

22XP? Tomorrow? I guess that makes up for the 4XP I didn't get yesterday with the 8XP glitch. Thank you, Tom Fulp...

If I had a dollar for every time someone told me to go kill myself.

BBS Signature
Chdonga
Chdonga
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 59
Game Developer
Response to Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul 2018-09-21 20:37:40 Reply

I really like that I can finally change my votes. I misclicked a lot on mobile and now I no longer have to carry the weight of knowing that I voted 2 on a submission that deserved a 3!

BBS Signature
dooseyboy
dooseyboy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Movie Buff
Response to Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul 2018-09-21 20:43:43 Reply

ssiiiiicckkk madness day, just in time :D

BBS Signature
Lambtaco
Lambtaco
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Double XP Saturday, Voting Overhaul 2018-09-21 20:50:11 Reply

I like that double XP comes from voting twice as much, and not just doubling the XP of a single vote. It feels like it's for the benefit of the authors and not just the users.

Looking at the top 50 of all time I noticed something. A lot of it is very cringey. Stuff 12yo kids would find really cool. I guess we've just matured past that as a site. What is the average age of a Newgrounds user now? I know it used to be pretty young, but now it's a hub or creators instead of a place or kids to play games where they murder celebrities.

BBS Signature