00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheADHX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Voting & Review Overhaul is a go!

30,680 Views | 166 Replies
Respond to this Topic

@liljim just rolled out our big voting and review overhaul!

Here is what has changed:

1) You now gain 2XP the moment you score any content, 10XP per day max. Previously you had to vote on five games and/or movies before logging 10XP as a single deposit.

2) The Pico voting bar and review score bar have been merged into a single score bar, featuring tankman Steve, illustrated by @IvanAlmighty.

3) You can now edit both your score and review. You can delete your review, too.

4) You still have to score a submission in order to review it but you can now hide your score if you aren't into that sort of thing; we've talked to a lot of artists who aren't.

5) You can now react to reviews with emotes, in place of the old +/- system.

Take it for a spin and let us know what you think!

If you've been lurking NG and never signed up, this would be a great time to make an account and start engaging with all the cool people here.

LAST MINUTE UPDATE - WE NEED SOME HELP!

Ok so to explain our voting system... Prior to 2015, you could vote on the same entry every day if you wanted to and keep driving its score up or down (this is where the term zero bombing started). We logged the votes but we didn't keep any long-term logs of who had cast the vote.

Starting in 2015, we changed the system to allow one vote per user per submission.

Today, we have done a merge. If you reviewed a piece of content at any point in NG history, your review score is now your vote score for that piece of content. Otherwise, if you voted on something after 2015, that vote data is still on record unless it was replaced by your review score.

We are now ignoring the "anonymous" vote data from 2000-2015.

As a result, we have old submissions with lower vote totals and high scores that might not best reflect community consensus.

Now would be a GREAT time to browse the Best of All Time rankings and give some honest scores to the submissions you see. We expect everything to self-correct with time.

FRIDAY MORNING UPDATE

If you published art between yesterday and this morning, it probably get stuck with "Include in the Art Portal" box not checked. If you go to your edit form and check the box, it will then appear in the Art Portal. This is fixed now so all new art submissions are fine.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Hell yeah these updates are sweet but...

At 9/20/18 04:06 PM, TomFulp wrote: 3) You can now edit both your score and review. You can delete your review, too.

4) You still have to score a submission in order to review it but you can now hide your score if you aren't into that sort of thing; we've talked to a lot of artists who aren't.

ANYONE WHO DOES THIS IS A COWARD AND I DO NOT TRUST YOU

and also RIP PICO

sicko mode

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 16:38:48

Yay

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 16:39:07

It was a long update, and it will take sometime to get used to the new changes.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 16:39:14

Time to change some 3s to a 4 ;)

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 16:39:51

RIP PICO :,(

Come on down to Fulpstation, baby

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 16:42:52

At 9/20/18 04:06 PM, TomFulp wrote: @liljim just rolled out our big voting and review overhaul!

yo this is sick

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 16:43:09

Thanks for your unbelievable passion and time.

Need help on beating Alkie Kong 2, brutal mode? click here.

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 16:44:33

These are some neat changes, I especially like how I change change some votes. I have accidentally hit a number I didn't mean to when voting and felt like shit, so now I don't have to feel so bad anymore!

Also RIP Pico. Press F to pay respects.

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 16:45:08

Loving these new updates. Although, I was hoping that the forum pages got updated today, too.

I really don't know what to put on here.

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 16:45:23

WOAH I love the new voting icons @ivanalmighty

very charming

I wanna see more animated featured thumbnails!

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 16:47:09

At 9/20/18 04:43 PM, wismty wrote: Thanks for your unbelievable passion and time.

We just hope everyone likes it! A lot of these changes were formally outlined in this overhaul thread years ago and it's nice to see them finally become a reality, especially when the double vote bars felt increasingly weird on mobile.

Co-Author review responses are also coming, they just happened to be broken at the time of this launch so they're on hold.

BBS Signature

Think I'll miss Pico, I'm still quite a bit confused with this, but I think I'll get used to it sooner or later, I always do.

That thing of editing the review could be nice, I remember one time, on my old account, that I accidently posted a review with the wrong score, got me feeling guilty for a long time. Also remember this time that I voted unfairly on an animation 'cus I was in a bad mood, then after I noticed that it was actually good, but it was too late to change, not anymore. And also would be good for fixing some typos and such.

The tankman head looks really nice by the side of the score, the emote change on him is quite smooth, I liked it.

Well, time to test this thing!

The Original Hip Cat

{Be Rational} {You've been...}

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 16:49:08

At 9/20/18 04:45 PM, theadhx wrote: Loving these new updates. Although, I was hoping that the forum pages got updated today, too.

Those are getting close. We're introducing a new rich text editor (it will later replace the one in blogs) so that has drawn things out a bit. It's gonna be an exciting launch I think.

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 16:49:11

awesome updates! :)

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 16:50:36

Very nice changes will take time getting use too thanks for the updates

~X~

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

[] The Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] COMIC >> WAYNES WORLD

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 17:00:00

@tomfulp I think this could be more clearly laid out to users. Many people see the voting strs and the review field and assume you must write a review in order to vote. People may decide not to vote at this point, so I recommend hiding the "Share your feedback" field entirely until a star rating is selected. I may be in the minority here, so I'd like to hear the opinions of others.

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 17:00:28

At 9/20/18 04:54 PM, Martin wrote: I'm confused about 1 thing. Do I have to review a submission in order to gain another 2xp? Because I don't really like writing reviews in general.

Nope, reviewing is optional.

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 17:03:09

At 9/20/18 05:00 PM, GeoKureli wrote: @tomfulp I think this could be more clearly laid out to users. Many people see the voting strs and the review field and assume you must write a review in order to vote. People may decide not to vote at this point, so I recommend hiding the "Share your feedback" field entirely until a star rating is selected. I may be in the minority here, so I'd like to hear the opinions of others.

This was being considered during dev and still might be the best way to go... so that may change.

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 17:03:44

It looks very clean, I love it!

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 17:04:20

Can't believe you guys did this so quick, kudos!
One of the best changes here imho, finally we can vote in half-a-star steps like in the reviews before. And we can edit our reviews, something I wish to do for a looooong time.
Also, emotes fit way better then the old +/- system.

And I'll miss Pico, but the tankman Steve design looks rockin' good. Great job, guys, keep it up :D

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 17:05:05

Nice update, I hope it'll be a good incentive for people to vote on things other than games/movies.

Flag stolen content, don't be a dingus.

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 17:07:45

At 9/20/18 04:54 PM, Martin wrote: I'm confused about 1 thing. Do I have to review a submission in order to gain another 2xp? Because I don't really like writing reviews in general.

No, you do not have to make a review. Just vote 0 - 5 like normal. If you make a mistake , you can go back later and change it.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 17:08:13

At 9/20/18 04:06 PM, TomFulp wrote: 2) The Pico voting bar and review score bar have been merged into a single score bar, featuring tankman Steve, illustrated by @IvanAlmighty.

Love all the changes, but this new vote bar in particular looks great!!
I'll miss Pico, but Steve's reactions are fantastic. I like running the mouse back and forth over the stars to see the FBF of his reactions changing.

GAH!

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 17:08:55

God damnit my non 0/5 xp ending figure is no longer a sign I'm here forever

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 17:13:07

At 9/20/18 04:06 PM, TomFulp wrote: As a result, we have old submissions with lower vote totals and high scores that might not best reflect community consensus.
Now would be a GREAT time to browse the Best of All Time rankings and give some honest scores to the submissions you see. We expect everything to self-correct with time.

Interesting. I was just checking this out on some of my old submissions. It will show that it has like 3 votes (probably all votes cast after 2015). But it has like 50 reviews. So as soon I cast my vote, it then shoots up to include all those review votes as well! Weird that it takes logging a new vote to properly catalog all the votes + reviews.

GAH!

BBS Signature

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 17:16:34

Since we can change votes now, how do blam and protects work now?

I'm in shock, the All Time listings looks so different..

I'm gonna miss the Pico voting icons though.

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 17:25:16

At 9/20/18 05:08 PM, jonthomson wrote: God damnit my non 0/5 xp ending figure is no longer a sign I'm here forever

But your sign up date is

Response to Voting & Review Overhaul is a go! 2018-09-20 17:27:22

Nope, but you have to give a rate in order to get XP.

Hello.