00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

RunicPixels just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

I don't know what I'm doing

254 Views | 6 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I don't know what I'm doing 2018-09-11 14:30:35

I'm making a game and the artist who did 95% of the graphics is busy with other stuff (basically bailed) so I'm left by myself to complete the game and I'm struggling to create some missing assets. I'm trying to create a missile pod, basically some box like thing that launches a missile and looks to fit the rest of the style of the game (clean cartoon style). The things I'm making are so ugly I don't know what to do. Any tips on how to make good looking things in cartoon style? How do I approach this challenge? I'll upload my attempt for you guys to laugh at.

You can solve pretty much any problem you may have with AS3 by consulting the AS3 Language reference.

Well, I'm not laughing and I admire your dedication to keep on moving with your project. If what you need are art assets and you dont have the time to learn to draw might i suggest finding another artist? If you are sure you want to make all the art assets yourself, youll need to learn to draw. Theres not going to be a way to go from 0 drawing experience to presentable game no matter how good of a programmer you might be.

A distant engine of hate is stirring....

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to I don't know what I'm doing 2018-09-12 08:14:18

At 9/12/18 02:41 AM, Template88 wrote: Well, I'm not laughing and I admire your dedication to keep on moving with your project. If what you need are art assets and you dont have the time to learn to draw might i suggest finding another artist? If you are sure you want to make all the art assets yourself, youll need to learn to draw. Theres not going to be a way to go from 0 drawing experience to presentable game no matter how good of a programmer you might be.

I tried to find another artist but finding someone who would work for free, as it's a non-commercial project, is (un)surprisingly hard. People who showed interest either bailed immediately for no reason or presented graphics which made me think 'I could probably do that level graphics myself'. And as my game is my baby, I want her to look good. I know I'm f'ed, I'm not going to learn to draw this fast. I guess I'm just venting my frustrations after spending hours doing crappy looking graphics. Thanks for listening.

You can solve pretty much any problem you may have with AS3 by consulting the AS3 Language reference.

Response to I don't know what I'm doing 2018-09-12 10:27:03

I played your gravity alien game because i was curious what your programming/design skills are and I was not disappointed. The graphics left something to be desired however. Do you have more games on kongregate or do you really just spend years developing a project? its been 7 years i think since you last posted a game on newgrounds.

A distant engine of hate is stirring....

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to I don't know what I'm doing 2018-09-12 13:17:49

At 9/12/18 10:27 AM, Template88 wrote: I played your gravity alien game because i was curious what your programming/design skills are and I was not disappointed. The graphics left something to be desired however. Do you have more games on kongregate or do you really just spend years developing a project? its been 7 years i think since you last posted a game on newgrounds.

Flash was a hobby for me back then while I was studying in the media industry. I didn't do games for many years after graduating. I've recently decided to switch careers and I'm trying to break in the gaming industry and I'm doing some mobile game projects to fill my portfolio.

Response to I don't know what I'm doing 2018-09-13 13:34:38

At 9/12/18 01:17 PM, ProfessorFlash wrote:
At 9/12/18 10:27 AM, Template88 wrote: I played your gravity alien game because i was curious what your programming/design skills are and I was not disappointed. The graphics left something to be desired however. Do you have more games on kongregate or do you really just spend years developing a project? its been 7 years i think since you last posted a game on newgrounds.
Flash was a hobby for me back then while I was studying in the media industry. I didn't do games for many years after graduating. I've recently decided to switch careers and I'm trying to break in the gaming industry and I'm doing some mobile game projects to fill my portfolio.

Look i can show you my art and if you'd like to exchange contact info we can definitely work out an agreement. Some people are really flaky which should be understandable as there were no incentives for them to stick it out through to the end.

I uploaded a simple T-shirt design but i can do more I'm willing to work on it if you can give me more info.

Response to I don't know what I'm doing 2018-09-14 07:45:36

At 9/13/18 01:34 PM, konedaa wrote: Look i can show you my art and if you'd like to exchange contact info we can definitely work out an agreement. Some people are really flaky which should be understandable as there were no incentives for them to stick it out through to the end.

I uploaded a simple T-shirt design but i can do more I'm willing to work on it if you can give me more info.

I really didn't expect anything when I made this thread just to vent out my frustrations, but Template88 already beat you to the punch in offering help. So I don't need help with the art issue anymore but I really appreciate your offer.