kungfuspacebarbarian
kungfuspacebarbarian
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Writer

*inhales in preparation for a super cheesy howdy-doody announcement*

Hey there fellow Newgrounders! Are you secretly a writer? Do you enjoy sci-fi, fantasy, westerns, and stories about shapeshifting cyborgs from outer space?? (I guess that last one falls under sci-fi…)

Then have I got news for you!

I'm hosting a Crypt Shyfter short story writing contest and offering cash prizes for the best entries. Pen your masterpiece and earn some cash!

No idea what Crypt Shyfter is? Click here: https://www.newgrounds.com/collection/cryptshyfter

The rules are simple: write a story featuring evil Shyfters and heroic badasses. Anything goes!

All stories must be over 2,000 words to be considered for a prize. Your stories do NOT need to include multiple paths, but I'll definitely give bonus points if you write an adventure using Twine or another text adventure program.

The competition will be judged by @heroblowe, @thedoubleone, and myself.

Prizes:
First place: $50
Second place: $30
Third place: $20

Additionally, I'll be working with the first place author to convert their story into a full-length adventure that we will post here on Newgrounds.

Please post links to your entries in this thread so everyone can see them and giggle at your badly written sex scenes. The deadline for this contest is October 15, 2018. We will announce the winners on October 17. There is no limit to the number of entries you can submit, so if you write 3 totally kick ass stories then you deserve the full $100!

This competition is open to anyone. Spelling and grammar will be considered but we're mainly looking for funny stories about monsters getting killed by heroes so don't beat yourself up if you're not Bill Shakespeare. Just have fun with it!

Let me know if you have any questions. I look forward to reading your badass adventures ;)

Xuvero
Xuvero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Writer

Cool, I guess I will give it a try! I've got a lot of stuff I planed on writing on this 2 next months, but I'll try to squeeze this in as well!

Count me in... Maybe (if I manage to juggle it all).

The Original Hip Cat
{Be Rational} {You've been...}

Kurama-Selveski
Kurama-Selveski
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Crypt Shyfter short story Deadline 2018-09-06 17:15:52 Reply

Cool, I always wanted to try writing for Crypt Shyfter! Does the contest have a maximum word limit or is the only word-count rule the 2k minimum one?

kungfuspacebarbarian
kungfuspacebarbarian
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Writer
Response to Crypt Shyfter short story Deadline 2018-09-06 17:45:20 Reply

At 9/6/18 05:00 PM, Xuvero wrote: Cool, I guess I will give it a try! I've got a lot of stuff I planed on writing on this 2 next months, but I'll try to squeeze this in as well!

Count me in... Maybe (if I manage to juggle it all).

sweet! looking forward to seeing what you come up with :D

kungfuspacebarbarian
kungfuspacebarbarian
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Writer
Response to Crypt Shyfter short story Deadline 2018-09-06 17:47:17 Reply

At 9/6/18 05:15 PM, Kurama-Selveski wrote: Cool, I always wanted to try writing for Crypt Shyfter! Does the contest have a maximum word limit or is the only word-count rule the 2k minimum one?

no maximum limit! feel free to write as much as your crazy little heart desires, only limit is a minimum of 2k for the prizes. i wont stop u from writing a 500 word story but it won't count towards the awards :p

TheDoubleOne
TheDoubleOne
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Crypt Shyfter short story Deadline 2018-09-06 19:59:17 Reply

I'm excited to judge these entries!

GabeMalk
GabeMalk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Writer
Response to Crypt Shyfter short story Deadline 2018-09-06 23:42:22 Reply

Loved the ideia, writing contests are great for the writing community here! You guys can count on my story haha!

Ceci n'est pas une signature

kungfuspacebarbarian
kungfuspacebarbarian
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Writer
Response to Crypt Shyfter short story Deadline 2018-09-07 06:22:50 Reply

At 9/6/18 11:42 PM, GabeMalk wrote: Loved the ideia, writing contests are great for the writing community here! You guys can count on my story haha!

yay!! :)

QAN
QAN
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Crypt Shyfter short story Deadline 2018-09-07 08:26:27 Reply

At 9/6/18 01:32 PM, evermead wrote:
All stories must be over 2,000 words to be considered for a prize. Your stories do NOT need to include multiple paths, but I'll definitely give bonus points if you write an adventure using Twine or another text adventure program.

Let me know if you have any questions. I look forward to reading your badass adventures ;)

I'm glad you learned from this. Since your stories have a CYOA vibe, and Twine is awesome, expect an entry of that nature from me. One q:

Where do you stand on story rights? This being written in your universe and all.

Thank you.

kungfuspacebarbarian
kungfuspacebarbarian
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Writer
Response to Crypt Shyfter short story Deadline 2018-09-07 09:14:55 Reply

At 9/7/18 08:26 AM, QAN wrote:
At 9/6/18 01:32 PM, evermead wrote:

I'm glad you learned from this. Since your stories have a CYOA vibe, and Twine is awesome, expect an entry of that nature from me. One q:

Where do you stand on story rights? This being written in your universe and all.

Thank you.

That post is actually what inspired this! Got a few letters of interest but only one panned out- @funkmachine wrote one and that's the adventure I'm posting this month. It's my first collaboration adventure with another writer and i had so much fun i wanted to do a little contest :D

as far as rights, it's your story, do whatever you want with it

kungfuspacebarbarian
kungfuspacebarbarian
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Writer

wanted to include this bit from my website for anyone else Wondering about rights as well- crypt shyfter is public domain! I've always strongly supported the spread of ideas and encouraged everyone to get involved creating new things :)

Can I send you ideas for your next Crypt Shyfter game?
Why not write your own Crypt Shyfter game? Or make a Crypt Shyfter movie? Or draw a Crypt Shyfter comic book?

You don’t need my permission. You don’t need to sign anything or give me money. Just go make something!

Crypt Shyfter is a public domain work- ANYONE can use Crypt Shyfter in any way they want, including commercial purposes. Cartoons, board games, short films, miniatures, t-shirts, lunch boxes, whatever. It’s all on the table.

The only thing you can’t do is trademark or copyright it. Crypt Shyfter belongs to everyone. Ideas are better when they’re shared 🙂

You don’t need to attribute anything to me or link to this site unless you want to. Pretend I’m an author who died a thousand years ago and have fun making the next cool Crypt Shyfter thing.

Xuelder
Xuelder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Game Developer
Response to Crypt Shyfter short story Deadline 2018-09-07 11:27:40 Reply

Well this will be interesting, I'll try to make something while I am making my current Twine game, can't make any promises though.

kungfuspacebarbarian
kungfuspacebarbarian
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Writer
Response to Crypt Shyfter short story Deadline 2018-09-07 11:32:39 Reply

At 9/7/18 11:27 AM, Xuelder wrote: Well this will be interesting, I'll try to make something while I am making my current Twine game, can't make any promises though.

awesome!

kungfuspacebarbarian
kungfuspacebarbarian
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Writer
Response to Crypt Shyfter short story Deadline 2018-09-07 14:04:44 Reply

https://discord.gg/6aDw6GF

if anyone needs help or inspiration you can join us on this discord. share ideas and workshop stories!

QAN
QAN
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Crypt Shyfter short story Deadline 2018-09-09 21:47:06 Reply

Hello all!

Here is my entry. BEWARE! The other two parts are plotted, but I'm not sure they will make the deadline with the schedule I have.

Laugh, cry, be disgusted enough to slam me on twitter, but if you want me to take you seriously, offer legit crit, no matter how ice cold. I wish all the ones who dare submit to this, a wonderful writing journey!

Xuvero
Xuvero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Writer
Response to Crypt Shyfter short story Deadline 2018-09-09 22:20:26 Reply

Hey, one question:

If I made a short interactive story with Twine for this contest, would it be OK if I'd post it here? Or not? 'Cus Newgrounds is the only thing that keeps me coming to the internet, so I don't have any account anywhere else (except for Discord, but
that doesn't count), so I don't have anywhere else to leave it. If it's not OK there's no problem, I can find another way to do it.

The Original Hip Cat

kungfuspacebarbarian
kungfuspacebarbarian
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Writer
Response to Crypt Shyfter short story Deadline 2018-09-09 22:31:21 Reply

At 9/9/18 10:20 PM, Xuvero wrote: Hey, one question:

If I made a short interactive story with Twine for this contest, would it be OK if I'd post it here? Or not? 'Cus Newgrounds is the only thing that keeps me coming to the internet, so I don't have any account anywhere else (except for Discord, but
that doesn't count), so I don't have anywhere else to leave it. If it's not OK there's no problem, I can find another way to do it.

yeah of course thats what this thread is for. @qan submitted a twine also so we are going to accept both linear short stories and twines for this contest

FUNKbrs
FUNKbrs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Crypt Shyfter short story Deadline 2018-09-10 08:54:04 Reply

I'm tempted to throw my hat in this ring. Will a link to a userpage post work?

My psychobilly band Los Psychosis.Me playing Psychobilly accordion.
HATE.
Because how else do you explain 1.2 million years of perpetual war?

BBS Signature
kungfuspacebarbarian
kungfuspacebarbarian
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Writer

At 9/10/18 08:54 AM, FUNKbrs wrote: I'm tempted to throw my hat in this ring. Will a link to a userpage post work?

yeah that works! the more hats the better :)

3p0ch
3p0ch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Crypt Shyfter short story Deadline 2018-09-15 22:54:43 Reply

'k I'll try and do a thing. Not sure if this is what you were looking for, but this is what you're getting: Entry

TopazAzul
TopazAzul
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Artist
Response to Crypt Shyfter short story Deadline 2018-09-24 17:54:01 Reply

Is there a right or wrong way to approach the story? Like does the main character have to be one that is recognized from the series or can it be a custom character?

kungfuspacebarbarian
kungfuspacebarbarian
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Writer
Response to Crypt Shyfter short story Deadline 2018-09-24 18:40:50 Reply

At 9/24/18 05:54 PM, TopazAzul wrote: Is there a right or wrong way to approach the story? Like does the main character have to be one that is recognized from the series or can it be a custom character?

Nope! No right or wrong way, it’s totally up to you :) your characters, your world, your storyline

TopazAzul
TopazAzul
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Artist
Response to Crypt Shyfter short story Deadline 2018-09-24 20:54:28 Reply

Woot Woot!

Syrupmasterz
Syrupmasterz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Animator
Response to Crypt Shyfter short story Deadline 2018-10-10 21:55:20 Reply

I finished my entry, but it's WAY too big to post on Newgrounds normally. I had to zip it up and toss it into my Dumping Grounds to have any chance of getting it on here.

Syrupmasterz Entry 'Crypt Shyfter: Reforged'

Thanks for creating a fun world for me to use my ridiculous writing style on Kungfuspacebarbarian! :P
Let me know if you're able to read the file without any complications, otherwise I'll resend it with something else.

BBS Signature
kungfuspacebarbarian
kungfuspacebarbarian
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Writer
Response to Crypt Shyfter short story Deadline 2018-10-10 22:23:46 Reply

At 10/10/18 09:55 PM, Syrupmasterz wrote: I finished my entry, but it's WAY too big to post on Newgrounds normally. I had to zip it up and toss it into my Dumping Grounds to have any chance of getting it on here.

Syrupmasterz Entry 'Crypt Shyfter: Reforged'

Thanks for creating a fun world for me to use my ridiculous writing style on Kungfuspacebarbarian! :P
Let me know if you're able to read the file without any complications, otherwise I'll resend it with something else.

awesome, i got it! i'll give it a read and share my thoughts once all the submissions are in. can't wait to see what you came up with :)

Xuvero
Xuvero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Writer

Here is my entry:

• Crypt Shyfter: Journey
    Crypt Shyfter: Journey by Xuvero

My entry for the Crypt Shyfter Short Story contest.

Score
    Under Judgment
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 17+

I actually planed to submit it earlier, but I had some problems with my PC. There was a point in which I thought I wasn't gonna be able to meet the deadline.

But I managed to make it!

P.S.: I ticked all of the items on my checklist, kfsb!

The Original Hip Cat

kungfuspacebarbarian
kungfuspacebarbarian
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Writer
Response to Crypt Shyfter short story Deadline 2018-10-15 08:19:30 Reply

Today is the deadline for the Crypt Shyfter short story contest! We got some awesome entries but if you're a procrastinator you still have until the end of the day to submit an entry ;)

Winners will be announced on October 17 and I'll be sending private feedback to everyone who submitted.

Thanks to everyone who has created an entry so far, they've been a lot of fun to read!

TopazAzul
TopazAzul
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Artist
Response to Crypt Shyfter short story Deadline 2018-10-15 21:15:40 Reply

At 10/15/18 08:19 AM, kungfuspacebarbarian wrote: Today is the deadline for the Crypt Shyfter short story contest! We got some awesome entries but if you're a procrastinator you still have until the end of the day to submit an entry ;)

Winners will be announced on October 17 and I'll be sending private feedback to everyone who submitted.

Thanks to everyone who has created an entry so far, they've been a lot of fun to read!

Putting the petal to the metal here. Still typing but will have it in before midnight.

Xuvero
Xuvero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Writer
Response to Crypt Shyfter short story Deadline 2018-10-15 21:20:58 Reply

At 10/15/18 09:15 PM, TopazAzul wrote: Putting the petal to the metal here. Still typing but will have it in before midnight.

Be sure to proofread it carefully before submitting. Don't be like me.

The Original Hip Cat

kungfuspacebarbarian
kungfuspacebarbarian
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Writer
Response to Crypt Shyfter short story Deadline 2018-10-17 07:55:21 Reply

Crypt Shyfter: Short Story Contest Winners!

After a discussion among myself, @heroblowe, and @thedoubleone, we have come to a decision on the winning entries for the Crypt Shyfter short story contest:

1. @Syrupmasterz - Crypt Shyfter: Reforged
Prize: $50
This was a fantastic (and LONG- 60+pages) adventure that introduced the weakest Shyfter of all time, a Shyfter so weak that random drunks at the bar brag about killing him. Oh, but even though he's super weak, he regenerates quickly, so tons of people get to claim they've killed a Shyfter. This adventure was very well written and super funny, and introduced a lot of really cool ideas into the lore (MAMMOTH RACES!!!!)

2. @Xuvero - Crypt Shyfter: Journey
Prize: $30
This was an awesome Twine adventure! It has side quests and inside jokes and lot's of classic Crypt Shyfter goofiness. We especially enjoyed the fact that the barbarian council wasn't a bunch of old dudes, but rather the beefiest barbarians in the tribe. It was also fun seeing the Barbarian and Evermead travelling together in a cameo :p

3. @QAN - THE SHYFT
Prize: $20
This was a really funny Twine adventure featuring a sex scene with red and blue aliens and "jizzlings" - yep, you read that right. They're exactly what you would expect them to be. This adventure is "To be continued" so it feels like the story will continue on in the future... DUN DUN DUN!

Additionally, we received an entry from @3p0ch who asked not to receive a prize if selected, so after a little debate we decided to put this entry in a separate category. The puzzle adventure is really neat and I'd love to help turn this into a full-fledged adventure if it's something you're up for, @3p0ch :) No promises on the artwork, but I can help you do a regular Crypt Shyfter if you're interested.

(Side note: Twine SUCKS for having art in it, which is why no more Crypt Shyfters have art and Frostfall was changed... the games can only hyperlink out to art hosted on other sites, so if your computer is slow or the host site is down, you get a game filled with error messages. And that's super awkward especially when someone does a let's play and posts your game on youtube and it has errors in it... lesson learned!)

Thank you to everyone who submitted an entry! These were a lot of fun for us to read and judge. Please PM me your paypal addresses so I can send the prize money!