00:00
00:00
Upgrade Your Account!

Hey! To start this decade right, we believe Newgrounds should be ad-free for EVERYONE. For this to work, we need people who have the means to become paying supporters. For just $3 per month or $25 for the year, you can help this happen and get some nice perks!

For the month of January we have disabled ads on all E-M content. We need 189 people to reach our January goal of 3,000 active supporters. If we hit that, we'll continue with a new goal in February!

Please check out our Supporter Upgrade and consider coming aboard!

Smash Bros. Collab!

25,364 Views | 144 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Smash Bros. Collab! 2018-08-12 00:23:52

Ooh boy, this sounds like it's gonna be juicy! Lookin' forward to seeing this all come together.

hype hype hype

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - : : fart : : bikes: : - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

BBS Signature

Response to Smash Bros. Collab! 2018-08-12 00:32:08 (edited 2018-08-12 00:36:46)

Whoo! Glad to see another grand collab! Knock 'em dead guys, if anyone needs voice actors, I'd be down to help out!

At 8/11/18 09:00 PM, zeedox wrote: Sweet, a new collab! I'm keen to make some backgrounds and team up again.

If you're an animator who's been accepted and want some free backgrounds done, hit me up!

Here's a few examples of previous BGs I've done for various other collabs and jams:

Whoa, that's some beautiful work! Definitely gotta follow your work!

Need a voice actor? Give me a call! I've got 13 years of experience and great vocal range.

BBS Signature

Response to Smash Bros. Collab! 2018-08-12 02:28:20

oh god fuck wow

Response to Smash Bros. Collab! 2018-08-12 02:57:16

I can make a thing.

Response to Smash Bros. Collab! 2018-08-12 02:59:17

I'm debating on submitting an application for the collab (even though I already had a couple plans for the rest of the year already but eh) but I had a couple questions:

When you say "No Brawl Taunts" Do you mean don't do stuff that references the jokes or art style of that series of shorts? Or literally "don't send these animations to the collab"

For avoiding/low-hanging fruit is there a list of jokes you want to avoid? I had an idea but tbh upon further thought I'm worried it might fall into the range of "low-hanging fruit". Not that I'm assuming I get in, I'm just a bit worried that if I DO get in I'd be sad if I get in then have to go with something completely different then what I wanted to do.

for submitting demo reel/best example of work, would it be ok to submit a portfolio website? Or do you just want one video period

Response to Smash Bros. Collab! 2018-08-12 03:16:35

When will applications be due?

Response to Smash Bros. Collab! 2018-08-12 09:19:15 (edited 2018-08-12 09:27:05)

A Smash Bros. Collab? Shweet!! ..... wait, no Waluigi cartoons allowed? That's it I'm outta here.

On a different note, I'd defintely buy a tankman amiibo or something like the one in the announcement video. Shit looks sleek.

Response to Smash Bros. Collab! 2018-08-12 13:14:37

I am not missing out on this one, submitted my application!!

Response to Smash Bros. Collab! 2018-08-12 13:37:25

At 8/11/18 07:04 PM, Blounty wrote:
At 8/11/18 05:46 PM, IvanAlmighty wrote:
At 8/11/18 04:24 PM, Blounty wrote: Can't you just run the collabs like they used to be.

This whole applying before hand thing was bullshit during the dbz collab which led to it not even being in the same region of quality as the old school collabs even if it has arguably better animation.
The old way leads to a bunch of people making parts that ultimately don't get in, they toil for months only to find out afterwards they aren't part of the collab if there's no application process. Just leaves a bunch of people sour they didn't make it in and spent all that time on it
Shit it's almost like you laid it out as a contest, even has 10 prize winners and all. Seems kinda strange to do that but also only allow certain people you choose to participate.

Pretty sure we wouldn't have got some of the funniest but badly animated gems from the old collabs if they had vetoed them before hand as well.

To this first point, this is still similar to the old practices; primarily a collab with a secondary contest

But you make a pretty fair argument in your second statement, though i don't know how many people would invest so much time nowadays without the security of knowing they'd be part of the final product

BBS Signature

Response to Smash Bros. Collab! 2018-08-12 13:40:53

At 8/12/18 02:59 AM, madtaz64 wrote: I'm debating on submitting an application for the collab (even though I already had a couple plans for the rest of the year already but eh) but I had a couple questions:

When you say "No Brawl Taunts" Do you mean don't do stuff that references the jokes or art style of that series of shorts? Or literally "don't send these animations to the collab"

Yea the former, I think we set that as an example of an anti-guideline in a sense

For avoiding/low-hanging fruit is there a list of jokes you want to avoid? I had an idea but tbh upon further thought I'm worried it might fall into the range of "low-hanging fruit". Not that I'm assuming I get in, I'm just a bit worried that if I DO get in I'd be sad if I get in then have to go with something completely different then what I wanted to do.

I'd say PM PhantomArcade since I'm not too well versed on smash humor to fully classify this one, hope that wasn't vague enough to discourage

for submitting demo reel/best example of work, would it be ok to submit a portfolio website? Or do you just want one video period

yea portfolio sites work too

BBS Signature

Response to Smash Bros. Collab! 2018-08-12 13:43:23

At 8/12/18 03:16 AM, NathanPrince wrote: When will applications be due?

It doesn't ever close but waiting too long leaves less time on participants end

BBS Signature

Response to Smash Bros. Collab! 2018-08-12 13:59:19

At 8/12/18 01:37 PM, IvanAlmighty wrote:
At 8/11/18 04:24 PM, Blounty wrote: Can't you just run the collabs like they used to be.

This whole applying before hand thing was bullshit during the dbz collab which led to it not even being in the same region of quality as the old school collabs even if it has arguably better animation.
The old way leads to a bunch of people making parts that ultimately don't get in, they toil for months only to find out afterwards they aren't part of the collab if there's no application process. Just leaves a bunch of people sour they didn't make it in and spent all that time on it
Shit it's almost like you laid it out as a contest, even has 10 prize winners and all. Seems kinda strange to do that but also only allow certain people you choose to participate.

Pretty sure we wouldn't have got some of the funniest but badly animated gems from the old collabs if they had vetoed them before hand as well.
To this first point, this is still similar to the old practices; primarily a collab with a secondary contest

Yes the old collabs had contests tacked on but they also let all participate without being approved first.

But you make a pretty fair argument in your second statement, though i don't know how many people would invest so much time nowadays without the security of knowing they'd be part of the final product

It's a risk sure, but so is making any content for Newgrounds. Getting on the front page or winning awards for your work isn't a given yet people still put countless hours into creating content.

I totally understand where the deal with applications is coming from I just feel it really neuters the rawness that the old collabs used to present and what made them so great and re-watchable.

Even if they don't make it into the collab, maybe you could make it a whole day event. Where you upload the collab and everyone that didn't get in can upload there parts personally and have some kind of showcase like they have for Haloween or animation jams.

Also I feel with the application, people that had super funny ideas but may be a bit rough round the edges with there animation may just be completely disheartened by not getting in via application that they just don't even bother making the idea. If there was no application process and it was fair game to just make something and submit it on the hopes of getting through people will go through with creating it and we can all get some really unexpected entertainment.

Yare Yare Daze...

BBS Signature

Response to Smash Bros. Collab! 2018-08-12 14:01:11

Oh boy! hope i make it in!

Response to Smash Bros. Collab! 2018-08-12 17:16:00

How long does a rejection usually take?

Response to Smash Bros. Collab! 2018-08-12 17:42:22

At 8/11/18 09:00 PM, zeedox wrote: Sweet, a new collab! I'm keen to make some backgrounds and team up again.

If you're an animator who's been accepted and want some free backgrounds done, hit me up!

Here's a few examples of previous BGs I've done for various other collabs and jams:

Those are well done. I'll be in touch if this goes through.

It's a Wooley World, but someones got to shave it...

Response to Smash Bros. Collab! 2018-08-13 00:13:28 (edited 2018-08-13 00:14:42)

I'd just like to thank you for the "No Brawl Taunts" rule

BBS Signature

Response to Smash Bros. Collab! 2018-08-13 00:27:04

@IvanAlmighty

is there anyway to participate or help out aside even as a non-animator? (aside from spreading word of course)

I have stuff I'm working on. Stay updated HERE if you want.

Response to Smash Bros. Collab! 2018-08-13 00:47:33 (edited 2018-08-13 00:48:02)

At 8/12/18 05:16 PM, fac-fortia-et-patere wrote: How long does a rejection usually take?

A lifetime

Smash Bros. Collab!

Response to Smash Bros. Collab! 2018-08-13 01:27:40

application sent!

Response to Smash Bros. Collab! 2018-08-13 07:59:07

That Promo was Hype!!

Is there a list of the full roster of characters yet for Ultimate?

Response to Smash Bros. Collab! 2018-08-13 10:05:21

Blounty...This is literally no different then how it was handled with dbz collab that happened months ago, No one cared then, and still had a great turn around and participants.

This seems more like projection if im being totally honest.

Response to Smash Bros. Collab! 2018-08-13 18:07:08

I'd be down as a house for this I will send a request

Response to Smash Bros. Collab! 2018-08-13 18:35:36

At 8/13/18 10:05 AM, Spazkid wrote:
Blounty...This is literally no different then how it was handled with dbz collab that happened months ago, No one cared then, and still had a great turn around and participants.

Ok, nice comprehension I guess. I'm just projecting :)

Yare Yare Daze...

BBS Signature

Response to Smash Bros. Collab! 2018-08-13 18:37:33 (edited 2018-08-13 18:37:53)

At 8/13/18 06:35 PM, Blounty wrote:
At 8/13/18 10:05 AM, Spazkid wrote: This seems more like projection if im being totally honest.

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

Response to Smash Bros. Collab! 2018-08-13 19:53:05

At 8/13/18 06:37 PM, fac-fortia-et-patere wrote:
At 8/13/18 10:05 AM, Spazkid wrote: This seems more like projection if im being totally honest.
FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmBgRGjHTCs

Smash Bros. Collab!

Response to Smash Bros. Collab! 2018-08-14 02:11:11

Sent in an application. I cant wait to see this project come to fruition!

Response to Smash Bros. Collab! 2018-08-14 10:45:34

Application Sent! Looks like fun!

Response to Smash Bros. Collab! 2018-08-14 14:19:43

At 8/13/18 10:05 AM, Spazkid wrote:

I guess it does suck that not a lot of people are hosting collabs at the moment and so there's not many other options for less experienced animators. At the same time though, it doesn't really matter since this is the one collab (aside from the DBZ one, though that's finished) out of 10's and 20's that requires you to have a certain level of skill. Why is it that just one of those is a big deal? I doubt that every single collab in the future will have the same requirements if that's what you're worried about, otherwise that would have happened already after DBZ.

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to Smash Bros. Collab! 2018-08-14 14:54:18

At 8/14/18 02:19 PM, Oddlem wrote:

I made a whole post why that people are not reading.

Yare Yare Daze...

BBS Signature

Response to Smash Bros. Collab! 2018-08-14 15:22:45

At 8/14/18 02:54 PM, Blounty wrote:
At 8/14/18 02:19 PM, Oddlem wrote:
I made a whole post why that people are not reading.

And I understand that, but again, it's not going to affect very many future collabs if at all, and has only really happened twice (and by the same group of people). So with that in mind, I personally don't think it matters much as long as original-styled ones remain.

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature