00:00
00:00

Animation Jam: Future Problems

5,986 Views | 35 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Today we begin ROUND THREE of our Animation Summer Jams event, where every 2-4 weeks we'll announce a new theme and everyone is invited to create animations around said theme. Points will be awarded each round, with winners announced at the end of the summer. You don't have to participate in every round but you'll have the most opportunities to earn points that way.

The Round Three theme is THE PROBLEMS OF THE FUTURE.

You have three weeks to create an animation that explores a problem you could imagine people experiencing in the future.

Include "ProblemJam" in your tags so we find your entry!

Rules:

Minimum length: 15 seconds (you can make it longer).

Music must not present licensing / royalty issues. Good resources include the Audio Portal (see Creative Commons info or ask for permission), an original composition by a teammate or one of these many royalty-free resources.

Your entry can be funny, serious or something in-between.

As lead animator, you may partner with background artists, in-betweeners, colorers, writers, voice actors, musicians and sound effects artists.

The lead animator is the one who earns points in each round of this event. Support members may work with multiple animators and change things up each round.

Round 3 Judges:

@JohnnyUtah and @Spazkid - From team Nightmare Cops.

@PsychicPebbles - NG Royalty.

@PhantomArcade and @IvanAlmighty - DBZ Collab organizers!

Other judges TBA.

Due Date:

Monday, August 6th at 3PM EST.

Happy animating!

Judging for ROUND 1 is complete. The theme was Bad Dream, here are the winners!

Bad Dream Jam Winners (1st - 10th)

Judges for this round were @RubberNinja, @PsychicPebbles, @JohnnyUtah, @Spazkid, @PhantomArcade, @IvanAlmighty and the combined user scores. Each judge contributed a top 10, where ten points was awarded for #1 and one point was awarded for #10.

First place was SUPER CLOSE, with A Recipe for Bad Dreams winning by one point!

Judging for ROUND 2, 1930s Robots, is now in progress.

Site Updates

Your Friends section is now mobile friendly and will load a lot faster, especially for people with lots of friends. As before, you can place your friends into groups and sort by those. There have always been larger plans around this system; we'll see how things go!

On your account page you can now set your status to always appear offline, if you don't want people to know when you are on-line.

If you'd like to help NG along, please consider becoming a supporter!

Check out this Problems of the Future Jam promo art by @PhantomArcade:

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Jam: Future Problems 2018-07-16 15:11:01

Sounds great. Looking forward to Animation Jam: Future Problems.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Jam: Future Problems 2018-07-16 15:18:40

Ahh didn't make it into the top 10 for the dream jam but congrats to those who did! I've already got some devious ideas for what I can do for this jam...

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Jam: Future Problems 2018-07-16 15:27:03

oho, I like this idea. i'll have to do some brainstorming.

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Jam: Future Problems 2018-07-16 15:41:00

At 7/16/18 03:18 PM, snailpirate wrote: Ahh didn't make it into the top 10 for the dream jam but congrats to those who did! I've already got some devious ideas for what I can do for this jam...

Foot Licker was a fun one, it was one of Spazkid's top picks!

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Jam: Future Problems 2018-07-16 16:11:35

At 7/16/18 03:41 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 7/16/18 03:18 PM, snailpirate wrote: Ahh didn't make it into the top 10 for the dream jam but congrats to those who did! I've already got some devious ideas for what I can do for this jam...
Foot Licker was a fun one, it was one of Spazkid's top picks!

Ha ha, glad to hear that!

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Jam: Future Problems 2018-07-16 16:14:20

does this have to be a "real" future problem or like a funny "first world" future problem?

Response to Animation Jam: Future Problems 2018-07-16 16:22:58

At 7/16/18 04:14 PM, idreamianimate wrote: does this have to be a "real" future problem or like a funny "first world" future problem?

It can be funny or serious.

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Jam: Future Problems 2018-07-16 16:38:18

Can I leave some feedback for the site? It's way too hard to figure out how to upload art on mobile. I searched for like 2 minutes before I found it. And then, once I did, the thumbnail cropper didn't work. Not sure if the hard-to-find link is intentional because the art form isn't mobile-friendly. Also, I don't see the links for the different portals on the mobile user page. Is it supposed to be that way?

Excited for the new entries!

Super FTC!

It's terrible, but I'm trying to make it better.

The problems of the future, today!

It's the idea that came to me when reading the subject.
But I know it can't be an animation related to Newgrounds. The rules are that the characters have to be original & etc.

Response to Animation Jam: Future Problems 2018-07-16 16:53:58

At 7/16/18 04:38 PM, DBuck-Eye wrote: Can I leave some feedback for the site? It's way too hard to figure out how to upload art on mobile. I searched for like 2 minutes before I found it. And then, once I did, the thumbnail cropper didn't work. Not sure if the hard-to-find link is intentional because the art form isn't mobile-friendly. Also, I don't see the links for the different portals on the mobile user page. Is it supposed to be that way?

Excited for the new entries!

The art upload form hasn't been updated to be mobile friendly yet, when that is done we'll have to be sure it's easier to get to on mobile as well.

The site categories are hidden on user pages to make the user page more of a priority / avoid confusion with user nav. This is still up in the air, though... I think a lot of people miss it.

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Jam: Future Problems 2018-07-16 17:31:30

Aw man, I didn't place. Welp, just gotta put my all into this one. Congrats to the winners, it was well deserved!

Response to Animation Jam: Future Problems 2018-07-17 01:59:57

had no time to participate in the last one but i'll see if i can get something together for this one!

One time Smash Mouth tweeted out my art.

Response to Animation Jam: Future Problems 2018-07-17 02:13:22

Silly question, but are we able to use pre-existing characters in our submissions, or not?

Just wondering, since the rules didn't state anything about that, aside from copyrighted music.

I'm a 15-year old Aussie animator/artist/editor/voice actor. G'DAY, MATES.

YouTube

Twitter

Response to Animation Jam: Future Problems 2018-07-17 04:18:39

My sincerest congratulations to all the winners, as well as everyone who participated, there were so many great entries, and it was an absolute blast! I can't wait to see what people will come up with for this next jam.

"We must fight against the machines"-The Ninja Society of Newgrounds | Join me in worship!

Name sig by Decky, Gods sig by Jackho

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Jam: Future Problems 2018-07-17 09:45:04

At 7/17/18 02:13 AM, RGPAnims wrote: Silly question, but are we able to use pre-existing characters in our submissions, or not?

Just wondering, since the rules didn't state anything about that, aside from copyrighted music.

I'm thinking pre-existing characters are ok for this one if they are especially relevant to the future problem. For anything else it would be best to create an original character, though.

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Jam: Future Problems 2018-07-17 11:27:34

At 7/16/18 03:04 PM, TomFulp wrote: Bad Dream Jam Winners (1st - 10th)

Awesome -- we won first place, and by one point! Thank you @RubberNinja, @PsychicPebbles, @JohnnyUtah, @Spazkid, @PhantomArcade, @IvanAlmighty and everyone who voted for the animation!

I've been fortunate to compose original music for an animation in each round so far, and if there is anybody who could use a composer for this round just let me know. Even if I am unavailable, I still know a few high quality musicians here on Newgrounds who may be available to help out.

Thank you for allowing music to be an important part to your work :)

Those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Jam: Future Problems 2018-07-17 15:11:48

At 7/17/18 11:27 AM, Bosa wrote: Thank you for allowing music to be an important part to your work :)

Thank you for supporting these projects with great music! I love seeing this sort of collaboration around here.

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Jam: Future Problems 2018-07-17 17:33:52

When can we expect to see the results from the 1930RobotJam?

Response to Animation Jam: Future Problems 2018-07-17 18:05:09

I love the callback to the old Slogan

Ahahahahahah

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Jam: Future Problems 2018-07-17 18:06:07

At 7/17/18 05:33 PM, BadTwinZ wrote: When can we expect to see the results from the 1930RobotJam?

At the latest they would be announced when the next round starts but more likely they will be announced before that - judges need some time to watch and rank their favorites.

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Jam: Future Problems 2018-07-17 20:06:59

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Jam: Future Problems 2018-07-19 17:45:34

I've never heard of the animation jam. I try to make animations, but they're mostly blammed. I mean they're not that bad.

You got dat?

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Jam: Future Problems 2018-07-20 01:14:07

Congrats to all the winners and runner ups in the bad dream thing

Nice and nifty addition to the site

~X~

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

[] The Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] COMIC >> WAYNES WORLD

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Jam: Future Problems 2018-07-21 04:20:18

My entry. A previous upload, the theme of which matches that of the jam. I believe previous uploads can be submitted to the Jam. If not, I would very much appreciate it if someone lets me know.

Response to Animation Jam: Future Problems 2018-07-21 16:07:37

At 7/21/18 04:20 AM, thegViantpath wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/710336
My entry. A previous upload, the theme of which matches that of the jam. I believe previous uploads can be submitted to the Jam. If not, I would very much appreciate it if someone lets me know.

For animation jams with set theme and time constraints, it generally works best to only include entries specifically made as part of the jam. Artists may feel less motivated to participate in jams if the winners could come from a near limitless number of pre-existing works.

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Jam: Future Problems 2018-07-21 23:31:44

Thank you for the response, Tom. I'll cOok something else up then.

Response to Animation Jam: Future Problems 2018-07-22 01:36:42

How many rounds will there be?

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Jam: Future Problems 2018-07-22 10:33:08

At 7/22/18 01:36 AM, ToddCircle wrote: How many rounds will there be?

There will be 2-3 more rounds.

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Jam: Future Problems 2018-08-03 04:31:20

On my way! Awesome idea