00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

aniMATING just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

JAM: Modern Robots, 1930s Animation

13,376 Views | 60 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Today we begin ROUND TWO of our Animation Summer Jams event, where every 2-4 weeks we'll announce a new theme and everyone is invited to create animations around said theme. Points will be awarded each round, with winners announced at the end of the summer. You don't have to participate in every round but you'll have the most opportunities to earn points that way.

The Round Two theme is MODERN ROBOTS AS 1930s-STYLE CARTOON CHARACTERS.

You will be making a cartoon set in modern times where a modern day robot (or several) is the star but aesthetically, your animation will look like something from the 1930s.

This style was most recently popularized by Cuphead and like Cuphead, you can make your animation in full color vs black and white.

For classical references, see Swing You Sinners, The Skeleton Dance, Bimbo’s Initiation and Steamboat Willie.

As for modern day robots, here are some examples you could work with!

Boston Dynamics Atlas
BD Spot Mini
BD Wildcat
BD Big Dog
BD Robots getting abused
Tesla Factory Robots
Sony Aibo
Honda Asimo - New Today: He's retiring.
NEW TODAY! Robot Stunt People

Your robot doesn't need to be famous but it should exist as a real thing someone made. You can reference your chosen source robot in the author comments.

If you can finish your entry by July 10th, it would be ideal to publish on July 10th, which is Robot Day on Newgrounds.

However because July 10th is less than two weeks away, the official deadline is Sunday, July 15th at 11:59PM PST.

Include "1930RobotJam" in your tags and "RobotDay" if you release on Robot Day.

Rules:

Music must not present licensing / royalty issues. Good resources include the Audio Portal (see Creative Commons info or ask for permission), an original composition by a teammate or one of these many royalty-free resources.

As lead animator, you may partner with background artists, in-betweeners, colorers, writers, voice actors, musicians and sound effects artists.

Musicians: This would be a great time to experiment with 1930s-inspired music! It would be cool to hear a modern take on the genre; something that combines old and new.

The lead animator is the one who earns points in each round of this event. Support members may work with multiple animators and change things up each round.

Note: 1930s animation sometimes had issues with how it portrayed race. Please don’t seek to emulate that aspect of the style.

Round 2 Judges:

@Jenjamik - An artist / animator from Cuphead!

@Fungasm - Has been repping the 1930s style on NG for a long time now.

@PhantomArcade and @IvanAlmighty - DBZ Collab organizers!

Other judges TBA.

Due Date:

July 10th, 11:59PM PST if you want to also participate in Robot Day.
July 15th, 11:59PM PST otherwise.

Apologies for announcing this theme a day late, been fighting a nasty stomach bug / fever this week. This theme might be a result of that fever but hopefully it goes over well.

Previous Rounds:

Round 1: Bad Dream Jam

Happy animating! Promo art by @PhantomArcade.

JAM: Modern Robots, 1930s Animation

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to JAM: Modern Robots, 1930s Animation 2018-06-28 15:01:19

Oohhhhh I love this theme, but this is not going to be easy. Last round was lots of fun so I'm looking forward to all the entries for this one. Good luck everyone!

Response to JAM: Modern Robots, 1930s Animation 2018-06-28 15:03:30

Can we use our own robots? Or what exactly defines a modern robot we can use in this case?

Crazy Artist, Roboticist and Programmer... that's about it.

Response to JAM: Modern Robots, 1930s Animation 2018-06-28 15:06:21

At 6/28/18 03:03 PM, TheDyingSun wrote: Can we use our own robots? Or what exactly defines a modern robot we can use in this case?

It should be a robot that exists in reality, so it doesn't have to be famous but someone has to have actually built it.

BBS Signature

Response to JAM: Modern Robots, 1930s Animation 2018-06-28 15:06:53

At 6/28/18 03:01 PM, GoodL wrote: Oohhhhh I love this theme, but this is not going to be easy. Last round was lots of fun so I'm looking forward to all the entries for this one. Good luck everyone!

Yeah this theme makes me super nervous but I feel like some really fun stuff could come out of it.

BBS Signature

Response to JAM: Modern Robots, 1930s Animation 2018-06-28 15:13:22

At 6/28/18 03:06 PM, TomFulp wrote: It should be a robot that exists in reality, so it doesn't have to be famous but someone has to have actually built it.

Alright, thank you for clarifying.

Response to JAM: Modern Robots, 1930s Animation 2018-06-28 15:15:54

Gonna be tough to think up a good idea of an animation for this round, but gonna try my best!

BBS Signature

Response to JAM: Modern Robots, 1930s Animation 2018-06-28 15:39:07

someone please make a toon about William Osman's "Pumpkin Combat robot" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AZgLAFAGDs

sicko mode

BBS Signature

Response to JAM: Modern Robots, 1930s Animation 2018-06-28 16:02:59

At 6/28/18 03:39 PM, ninjamuffin99 wrote: someone please make a toon about William Osman's "Pumpkin Combat robot" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AZgLAFAGDs

I'll see if I can incorporate it!

Response to JAM: Modern Robots, 1930s Animation 2018-06-28 16:51:22

Such a random combo theme! :D Until you brought up Cuphead I was thinking this surely hasn't been done before... looking forward to seeing what pops up though. Suitable match with Robot Day. Hope you get better too!

At 6/28/18 02:58 PM, TomFulp wrote: Round 1 Judges:

Round 2 right...?

The latest: Hexa #95 (Mar)

BBS Signature

Response to JAM: Modern Robots, 1930s Animation 2018-06-28 17:07:59

At 6/28/18 04:51 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: Round 2 right...?

Oops, fixed!

BBS Signature

Response to JAM: Modern Robots, 1930s Animation 2018-06-28 17:16:07

given it's 1930s style, the robots don't have to look completely the same right? just close enough to know it's them.

Response to JAM: Modern Robots, 1930s Animation 2018-06-28 17:16:57

At 6/28/18 05:16 PM, idreamianimate wrote: given it's 1930s style, the robots don't have to look completely the same right? just close enough to know it's them.

Yeah you can make them more simple / cute.

BBS Signature

AAh shoot man. I'm still trying (and hoping) to get the bad dream animation in. I hit some computer troubles earlier in the week, and have since pulled 3 strenuous all nighters trying to catch up.

Will have something up today. Hope it can still count :(

happy with it and super excited to see what everyone will think of it, regardless. Would not have done it without this prompt, and I've realised just some of my potential in animating again.

Excited for this new theme. Will have to dwell on some ideas.

At 6/28/18 02:58 PM, TomFulp wrote:
The Round Two theme is MODERN ROBOTS AS 1930s-STYLE CARTOON CHARACTERS.

I am in love with this theme!!!!!!

Apologies for announcing this theme a day late, been fighting a nasty stomach bug / fever this week. This theme might be a result of that fever but hopefully it goes over well.

I had that earlier this month and ended up in the hospital and yeah it was no fun

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to JAM: Modern Robots, 1930s Animation 2018-06-28 18:45:40

Robots in the 1930's sounds like some great watching. Bring on the animations.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

At 6/28/18 02:58 PM, TomFulp wrote: Today we begin ROUND TWO of our Animation Summer Jams event

If anybody needs music for their submission, please let me know! I had the honour of composing the score for an animation in the first round:

Even if I am unavailable to compose for you, still contact me because I know many other musicians here on Newgrounds who would be more than able to create a high quality soundtrack for your animation.

Response to JAM: Modern Robots, 1930s Animation 2018-06-28 20:49:37

Cool! Really digging this theme. Will the minimum time for this one be 15 seconds as well?

I'd rather die a Wolf fighting against the Herder, than die a Sheep heading for the slaughter.

AVGN Fan Club. - The Culturally Diverse Crew - The Carnivorous Crew

BBS Signature

Response to JAM: Modern Robots, 1930s Animation 2018-06-28 21:38:31

At 6/28/18 07:34 PM, Vyanar wrote: ¿I can participate, no matters if I don't participate in the Bad Dream Jam?

Yup! you can hop in on any theme regardless of prior participation

Response to JAM: Modern Robots, 1930s Animation 2018-06-28 22:51:23

the 1930s twist to the Robot theme is friggin great!

Response to JAM: Modern Robots, 1930s Animation 2018-06-29 02:26:45

Great! I was thinking of doing Nolan Bushnels Androbot from the mid-1980's. Was wondering if thats bending the rules at all? Because it is something that was indeed invented, but in the 20th century.

BBS Signature

Response to JAM: Modern Robots, 1930s Animation 2018-06-29 04:11:44

This is, of course, a really cool theme, and I'm sure we'll see some great movies come out of it. I'm just worried because the theme is so specific. With the Bad Dream Jam everyone approached it differently and people put different spins on it. I'm just worried they won't be able to do the same with this theme. Then again, who knows, I'm sure it'll be a blast to see (and review) anyways.

"We must fight against the machines"-The Ninja Society of Newgrounds | Join me in worship!

Name sig by Decky, Gods sig by Jackho

BBS Signature

Response to JAM: Modern Robots, 1930s Animation 2018-06-29 09:43:27

At 6/29/18 02:26 AM, mikelzNG wrote: Great! I was thinking of doing Nolan Bushnels Androbot from the mid-1980's. Was wondering if thats bending the rules at all? Because it is something that was indeed invented, but in the 20th century.

Go for it!

BBS Signature

Response to JAM: Modern Robots, 1930s Animation 2018-06-29 09:44:37

At 6/28/18 10:51 PM, MindChamber wrote: the 1930s twist to the Robot theme is friggin great!

Hoping for the best!

BBS Signature

Response to JAM: Modern Robots, 1930s Animation 2018-06-29 09:45:42

At 6/28/18 08:49 PM, Knights wrote: Cool! Really digging this theme. Will the minimum time for this one be 15 seconds as well?

I removed the minimum time because I think some people could end up making fun loops... For example a lot of these robots are known for doing simple, repetitive things, so maybe some artists will only find time to make a bouncy loop of them doing it with joy.

BBS Signature

Response to JAM: Modern Robots, 1930s Animation 2018-06-29 09:46:06

At 6/28/18 07:34 PM, Vyanar wrote: ¿I can participate, no matters if I don't participate in the Bad Dream Jam?

Anyone can participate in any round!

BBS Signature

Response to JAM: Modern Robots, 1930s Animation 2018-06-29 10:45:53

At 6/29/18 04:11 AM, Thegamingtrickster wrote: This is, of course, a really cool theme, and I'm sure we'll see some great movies come out of it. I'm just worried because the theme is so specific.

The style is going to be a bit of a difficulty to pin point, but that's when you start taking notes and loosening up. And in 1930s animations, music is a huge factor with all the animation being timed to that along with the tone being set by the music as well.

Response to JAM: Modern Robots, 1930s Animation 2018-06-30 05:50:05

For any animator taking up this challenge, I'm happy to offer my voice for characters. You can listen to my demo here: https://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/590431

I'm a longtime fan of the Fleischer cartoons of Betty Boop and Popeye the Sailor, so I'd especially love to be a voice in a 1930s-style project.

Response to JAM: Modern Robots, 1930s Animation 2018-06-30 16:26:34

Does everything have to be in 1930 style? Like is it possible for some modernmix/sakuga/3d/angles?

Do need to make my own 1930s cartoon in black and white?

Can you help me fix this bug!