New Topic Respond to this Topic
Quisty
Quisty
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 18
Art Lover

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/trump-calls-canada-very-spoiled-difficult-to-deal-with-on-nafta-1.3941862
How does everyone view this one? I think it is odd to call us that, but I expect nothing less at this point. It is all about those tariffs.

Our PM then said the whole thing is "insulting"
https://www.macleans.ca/economy/trudeau-slams-trumps-tariffs-as-insulting-to-canada/

But just remember I love u more and I loved u first. U fucked this up as always.
We should have been married long ago...with kids playing under the moon full of joy.

BBS Signature
DamnedByFate
DamnedByFate
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to Trump calls Canada "Spoiled" 2018-06-04 09:53:21 Reply

As I've said before: Trump is spoiled.

You can't fight for peace. If you fight, there ain't peace. NO, I'M NOT AMERICAN!
On every ship that floats and sails, there's someone who the captain nails.
Sig by Decky.

BBS Signature
billybobthwarten
billybobthwarten
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Trump calls Canada "Spoiled" 2018-06-04 10:39:56 Reply

Trump May Actually Be Right About the Trade Deficit With Canada

https://www.thebalance.com/trade-deficit-by-county-3306264

it seems the statistics vary by where you look, because of how and what they count. apparently, canada likes to not count goods it exports as a middle man to other countries, but likes to count goods it sends to the united states from other countries.

"some people who believe they're smart do nothing but talk incessantly. if they didn't, how else would they let you know how smart they are?"

Crono321
Crono321
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Trump calls Canada "Spoiled" 2018-06-08 07:30:16 Reply

Canada is doing great because of its own citizens. Nothing to do with being spoiled. Never been to Canada but seems pretty cool

billybobthwarten
billybobthwarten
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Trump calls Canada "Spoiled" 2018-06-08 15:08:11 Reply

At 6/8/18 07:30 AM, Crono321 wrote: Canada is doing great because of its own citizens. Nothing to do with being spoiled. Never been to Canada but seems pretty cool

the president's words were about economics, tariffs, and trade.

"some people who believe they're smart do nothing but talk incessantly. if they didn't, how else would they let you know how smart they are?"

JosephStarr
JosephStarr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Art Lover

If Canada is having enough success to be called spoiled, they're probably doing something right.
Might have something to do with the fact that they don't go out of their way to start trouble, so other countries don't have any problems working with and/or trading with Canada. (At-least as far as I know.)

Well, except for The Donald anyway.

Outdated ideals and crackpot solutions with a face you can trust. You're welcome.

BBS Signature
LittleWashu
LittleWashu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Writer
Response to Trump calls Canada "Spoiled" 2018-06-08 22:28:55 Reply

This coming from a man who

A) was born into money
B) Was given money to make a business
C) A man who has never had to work hard a Day in his life or knows the struggles of being poor or middle classed.

I have to laugh at him big time.

If anything he is the one who is truly spoiled.

Crono321
Crono321
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Trump calls Canada "Spoiled" 2018-06-09 06:21:00 Reply

At 6/8/18 07:41 PM, JosephStarr wrote: If Canada is having enough success to be called spoiled, they're probably doing something right.
Might have something to do with the fact that they don't go out of their way to start trouble, so other countries don't have any problems working with and/or trading with Canada. (At-least as far as I know.)

Well, except for The Donald anyway.

I agree with that. I think the only trump card is the fact that USA is the leading super power. But i like Canada because it is normal. USA i admire the small government model but yeah like to get envious of countries that does good does say alot about your own attitude in my view

billybobthwarten
billybobthwarten
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Trump calls Canada "Spoiled" 2018-06-09 10:01:18 Reply

At 6/8/18 07:41 PM, JosephStarr wrote: If Canada is having enough success to be called spoiled, they're probably doing something right.

like the rest of the world, getting over on the united states on trade and tariffs.

At 6/8/18 10:28 PM, LittleWashu wrote: This coming from a man who
I have to laugh at him big time.

this literally has zero to do with the issue, trade and deficits.

no matter how you feel about the leader, these issues still exist and the rest of the world isn't playing fair.

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Audiophile
Response to Trump calls Canada "Spoiled" 2018-06-09 13:08:19 Reply

At 6/8/18 10:28 PM, LittleWashu wrote:
C) A man who has never had to work hard a Day in his life or knows the struggles of being poor or middle classed.

spoiled as in never being poor, sure.

diminishing a man's hard work for turning a business into a billion dollar company? come on man.

lel

BBS Signature
StatKing
StatKing
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Trump calls Canada "Spoiled" 2018-06-09 14:26:23 Reply

At 6/8/18 07:30 AM, Crono321 wrote: Canada is doing great because of its own citizens. Nothing to do with being spoiled. Never been to Canada but seems pretty cool

Guaranteed social security?

Low Crime?

Free healthcare?

Solid education system?

Yeah id say they got it pretty good

MrPercie
MrPercie
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 02
Reader
Response to Trump calls Canada "Spoiled" 2018-06-09 15:48:48 Reply

Pot

Kettle

A nice cup of tea

BBS Signature
Quisty
Quisty
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 18
Art Lover
Response to Trump calls Canada "Spoiled" 2018-06-09 16:31:43 Reply

At 6/9/18 02:26 PM, StatKing wrote:
Guaranteed social security?

Yes

Low Crime?

Low gun crime mostly

Free healthcare?

Not dental, eyecare, or mental health. You pay for those.

Solid education system?

Yes but Europe has free tuition. We still pay, but we have OSAP to help.

Yeah id say they got it pretty good

We do :)

But just remember I love u more and I loved u first. U fucked this up as always.
We should have been married long ago...with kids playing under the moon full of joy.

BBS Signature
billybobthwarten
billybobthwarten
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Trump calls Canada "Spoiled" 2018-06-09 17:46:19 Reply

At 6/9/18 04:31 PM, Quisty wrote:
At 6/9/18 02:26 PM, StatKing wrote:
Free healthcare?
Not dental, eyecare, or mental health. You pay for those.

medicine is another area where canada, and much the rest of the world, are spoiled and living off the backs of americans.

StatKing
StatKing
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Gamer

Come to think of it

What DOES the united states even have thats fucking appealing?

All I see is poverty no benefits everyones working shit jobs

you gotta be living in ABSOLUTE im taking lower then 10.00 an hour squalor to see any actual government assistance

Qzzrbl
Qzzrbl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Trump calls Canada "Spoiled" 2018-06-09 18:27:31 Reply

At 6/9/18 05:55 PM, StatKing wrote: Come to think of it

bootstraps, you see

orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Trump calls Canada "Spoiled" 2018-06-09 18:46:22 Reply

Broad statements aside, this does come off as petty on both sides. We kind of expect this from Trump, and I would like to think that world leaders will take everything he says with a degree of salt. Having said that, Trump calling a country spoiled, regardless of context or accuracy, is absolutely hypocritical to say the least coming from him.

While this is certainly little more than saber-rattling, it continues to drive a wedge between us and our allies. I don’t expect that they’ll be a G6 come next year, (America is simply too powerful from an economic and influential standpoint) but I wouldn’t rule out any sort of action, regardless of the practicality involved.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature
StatKing
StatKing
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Gamer

At 6/9/18 06:27 PM, Qzzrbl wrote:

bootstraps, you see

SERIOUSLY the only thing I see here is : TV shows come here first canada will get ''new episodes'' a month later

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Trump calls Canada "Spoiled" 2018-06-09 20:36:09 Reply

At 6/9/18 06:46 PM, orangebomb wrote: While this is certainly little more than saber-rattling, it continues to drive a wedge between us and our allies. I don’t expect that they’ll be a G6 come next year, (America is simply too powerful from an economic and influential standpoint) but I wouldn’t rule out any sort of action, regardless of the practicality involved.

I wouldn’t rule out a future summit where USA aren’t invited - if the US gov don’t want to play ball, it’s their choice. If a big economic player is required, the hand may be extended to China under the guise of a different summit.

Apart from sabre-rattling, as you said, a lot of this seems to me just for the purposes of making headlines back in the US, and getting the Trump base on-board. My feelings are that if there’s one guy who won’t cooperate on the group project and offering nothing for their input, the others don’t have to tolerate him.

BBS Signature
StatKing
StatKing
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Trump calls Canada "Spoiled" 2018-06-09 22:48:00 Reply

Well we can rule out an attempted war/takeover cause the US had the chance to seize Iraq AND the Philippines but just gave it away.

How nice that would of been having both of those under the US flag.

British empire did it right

Spedmallet
Spedmallet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Artist

At 6/4/18 09:48 AM, DonaldTrump wrote: Canada is spoiled
is spoiled
spoiled
Small loan of a million dollars
Small loan
million dollars

Trump calls Canada

Dr. Spedmund McMallet

BBS Signature
S3C
S3C
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 03
Musician
Response to Trump calls Canada "Spoiled" 2018-06-10 00:08:56 Reply

All I see is poverty no benefits everyones working shit jobs

you gotta be living in ABSOLUTE im taking lower then 10.00 an hour squalor to see any actual government assistance

much lower taxes than these other 'spoiled' countries
guns
burgers
we get to talk sh*t about political figures freely
freedom
hollywood

HexMagnificus
HexMagnificus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Trump calls Canada "Spoiled" 2018-06-10 00:22:59 Reply

You don't think the POTUS has unique and appealing hairstyle?

Mr. Covfefe, please resign from Office and make The World great again! You are a Disgrace to Civilization.

StatKing
StatKing
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Gamer

@SC3

much lower taxes than these other 'spoiled' countries
---- Taxes that serve no purpose to the taxpayer enjoy your involuntary wage garnishment

guns--

After recent events debatable especially if the gun control stuff goes overboard

burgers------

Better beef standards in canada USDA allows certain things the canadian government does not

We get to talk sh*t about political figures freely------ When was this ever a problem in canada ?

freedom--

Canadas got it

hollywood---

Vancouver

Trump calls Canada

DamnedByFate
DamnedByFate
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to Trump calls Canada "Spoiled" 2018-06-10 06:17:23 Reply

At 6/9/18 05:46 PM, billybobthwarten wrote: medicine is another area where canada, and much the rest of the world, are spoiled and living off the backs of americans.

If not leaving people to die because they're poor amounts to being spoiled, we in Europe are proud of being spoiled.

At 6/10/18 12:08 AM, S3C wrote: much lower taxes than these other 'spoiled' countries

Not a good thing.

guns

Not a good thing.

burgers

We invented those.

we get to talk sh*t about political figures freely

I'll give you this, but it's far from unique.

freedom

Nice joke.

hollywood

Not a good thing.

You can't fight for peace. If you fight, there ain't peace. NO, I'M NOT AMERICAN!
On every ship that floats and sails, there's someone who the captain nails.
Sig by Decky.

BBS Signature
billybobthwarten
billybobthwarten
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Trump calls Canada "Spoiled" 2018-06-10 09:40:42 Reply

At 6/10/18 06:17 AM, DamnedByFate wrote:
At 6/9/18 05:46 PM, billybobthwarten wrote: medicine is another area where canada, and much the rest of the world, are spoiled and living off the backs of americans.
If not leaving people to die because they're poor amounts to being spoiled, we in Europe are proud of being spoiled.

that has nothing to do with my point, similarly how most everyone's "counter points" to trumps comments have nothing to do with the reason he says canada is spoiled.

the link i shared in my post makes the point that low drug prices in other countries are subsidized by the higher prices in the united states, citizens in the united states are paying for the R&D and making ongoing production of these drugs feasible.

like the tariffs and such, the rest of the world is taking advantage.

orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Trump calls Canada "Spoiled" 2018-06-10 15:00:33 Reply

At 6/9/18 10:48 PM, StatKing wrote: Well we can rule out an attempted war/takeover cause the US had the chance to seize Iraq AND the Philippines but just gave it away.

How exactly did we give away the Philippines again? We were more or less going to make the Philippines an independent nation sooner had the Japanese not conquered them during WW2.

How nice that would of been having both of those under the US flag.

Once again, we weren’t planning on turning them into states in the first place. Why in the hell would we do that now? Not to mention that they would be thousands of miles from the nearest state anyway on the mainland.

British empire did it right

India/Pakistan and much of the Middle East would like a word with you on that.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature
lapis
lapis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Melancholy

Well, that G8 summit could hardly have been more of a disaster.

After all the sucking up to Trump that they've done, Macron and Abe, and to a lesser extent Trudeau, should wonder what they have to show for it.

At 6/10/18 09:40 AM, billybobthwarten wrote: the link i shared in my post makes the point that low drug prices in other countries are subsidized by the higher prices in the united states, citizens in the united states are paying for the R&D and making ongoing production of these drugs feasible.

The text in both of your links is actually fairly neutral, and acknowledges that even if you accept that Canada is running a trade surplus with the US, it is fairly marginal compared to total trade (around 3%).

Regarding the drug prices, I think it is a moot point whether the USA's approach to the pharmaceutical industry really is something that other countries should adopt, especially when you take the ballooning healthcare spending in the US and overprescription of drugs like painkillers into account. However, I accept that it is much easier for other countries to exploit the US's model (which one might argue prioritises R&D over social welfare) than vice versa.

But in any case, I don't think that that's the only malpractice in international trade, think of tax dodging by US companies like Starbucks and Google and Airbnb for instance.

I propose the following grand bargain: Canada, Japan, the EU and other US allies pay more for US drugs, and in return American and any other international companies (tech or otherwise) get taxed on local revenue instead of profit.

MrPercie
MrPercie
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 02
Reader

At 6/10/18 04:08 PM, lapis wrote: After all the sucking up to Trump that they've done, Macron and Abe, and to a lesser extent Trudeau, should wonder what they have to show for it.

to give them credit, there just those idealised liberals who feel everyone can be bargained with, only that sometimes the customer just isn't buying what they're selling

Regarding the drug prices, I think it is a moot point whether the USA's approach to the pharmaceutical industry really is something that other countries should adopt, especially when you take the ballooning healthcare spending in the US and overprescription of drugs like painkillers into account. However, I accept that it is much easier for other countries to exploit the US's model (which one might argue prioritises R&D over social welfare) than vice versa.

I think there is something good about american drugs and pharmaceutical industry, at the very least, its there, you have an ailment, its there, you can buy it, where as new experimental and often expensive drugs being trialled just aren't on offer on things like the NHS, and even when there is a case for a certain drug to help, such as that kid who needed hemp oil or some marijuana derivative, nope, sorry, you're a druggie, stop trying to get high you seizurific little shit, thats the level of stubbornness you can be dealing with say the UK when it comes to people needing treatment. But I'm not saying the american way is perfect, only it isn't the most utter travesty people make it out to be, just a lack of pro-active yet non-dehumanising unsympathetic action in helping addicts and others exploiting the ease to buy drugs.

BBS Signature
billybobthwarten
billybobthwarten
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Trump calls Canada "Spoiled" 2018-06-10 19:57:36 Reply

At 6/10/18 04:08 PM, lapis wrote: Well, that G8 summit could hardly have been more of a disaster.

After all the sucking up to Trump that they've done, Macron and Abe, and to a lesser extent Trudeau, should wonder what they have to show for it.

i don't see the harm in bringing russia back. bring him in, so he's at the table instead of working outside it. keep hearing about ukraine, but they all did very little to actually stop it from happening.

The text in both of your links is actually fairly neutral, and acknowledges that even if you accept that Canada is running a trade surplus with the US, it is fairly marginal compared to total trade (around 3%).

i sought less controversial links, REALLY expected that to be picked up on much earlier. but it seemed, most posts were about jabs.

this has a fun little map

i don't believe anyone should adopt our approach, there's crazy profits in drugs, once they pass the R&D phase.

i think everyone else may have to pay a bit more, we should have to pay less, companies should have to settle with fewer cash cows. there needs to be much stronger negotiation on the part of the american public.

But in any case, I don't think that that's the only malpractice in international trade, think of tax dodging by US companies like Starbucks and Google and Airbnb for instance.

yes, helping other nations by operating there or being "based" in tax havens. we have some of the highest corporate tax rates in the world, at 35%.

i guess we'll just have to wait and see how the president handles that situation, because it's something he has spent time discussing, 15% or less has been an idea. he has even suggested a one time, bring it back tax free.

I propose the following grand bargain: Canada, Japan, the EU and other US allies pay more for US drugs, and in return American and any other international companies (tech or otherwise) get taxed on local revenue instead of profit.

makes sense.

i would like to see true free trade, not protectionism tariffs. not countries ratcheting up tariffs when they're called out for not playing fair.