00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

cosoden just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

When You Design a Character

799 Views | 11 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

When You Design a Character 2018-06-01 19:39:54

Do you pull inspiration and references from online or any other resources? Or do you just brainstorm and picture said character in your head?

Personally I'm always having trouble drawing characters from my head, it's probably due to my lack of practice or something, but I'm still curious about the initial question

Response to When You Design a Character 2018-06-02 17:12:06

I try to always go for the backstory first, and then create a design around that concept. I feel like it not only makes the process go by easier, but it also helps make a more solid/stable design.

Also, I found that playing D&D and making a character helps when designing characters in the future (possibly since there's a lot of templates that help out newer players).

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to When You Design a Character 2018-09-04 06:00:41

Most of my characters are zebras that I create from a template I made. If I can clearly see whatever I am drawing in my head, and I know how to pull it off, I just go for it. Most of the time though, I google "(whatever I'm drawing) clip art" and go through the easiest ones to draw and see how they pulled it off.

Response to When You Design a Character 2018-09-08 21:39:23

We all stand on the shoulders of giants. That's at least what I think of when I try to think of anything to make. What I mean is try to take inspiration from something that makes you happy and try to put your own little twist on it!

'Over-thinking, over-analyzing separates the body from the mind.'

BBS Signature

Response to When You Design a Character 2018-09-14 15:19:14

I think from having trouble drawing charactrr from your head, is because you probably don't have it in your repetoire yet.

I think first just drawing all type of people: fat people, skinny people, small/short etc
Same goes for clothing types.

I think if you just draw a lot of people enough, you can mix and match all different aspects you dres before and create new characters with that.

So pretty much, steal enough different characters/designs, break them apart and put it back your own wae.

Response to When You Design a Character 2018-09-19 21:29:35

Most professional artists I know always use some sort of reference.

Response to When You Design a Character 2018-09-19 22:39:30

Im working on a parody series right now but this was the first time ever that i had no idea what the characters/style was going to be. i then came to a realization that mashing characters from different shows makes the original premise more entertaining. the first thing i did was hand draw the characters with light references on my phone, copied it to my laptop, and while finalizing the characters i added more detail as well as simplify the art style to make it more animator friendly.

BBS Signature

Response to When You Design a Character 2018-09-19 22:52:11

At 9/8/18 09:39 PM, xDeadBoii wrote: We all stand on the shoulders of giants. That's at least what I think of when I try to think of anything to make. What I mean is try to take inspiration from something that makes you happy and try to put your own little twist on it!

Agreed. dragonball z, sonic, my little pony, south park... character design or premise of a show your inspired by can quickly become your own because no matter how much you like someones work, you'll ultimately prefer your own ideas.

example: gravity falls character design compared to simpsons

BBS Signature

Response to When You Design a Character 2018-09-23 11:33:30

I just mindlessly doodle characters until I end up with something I like. These sessions usually look like this:

When You Design a Character

Response to When You Design a Character 2018-09-23 19:40:32

At 6/1/18 07:39 PM, GallowJolt wrote: Do you pull inspiration and references from online or any other resources? Or do you just brainstorm and picture said character in your head?

i usually come up with a basic idea for a character while going for a walk or something, and flesh it out when drawing it.

Response to When You Design a Character 2021-08-24 03:11:35

back when i was a kid, i was introduced to this cool artist on youtube called neytirix. she draws radicool dragons and furros, sometimes humans

she inspired me to design non human characters,especially furries.

I ATE EXPIRED BREAD AND PASSED OFF TEMPORARILY

MY LINKTREE YOU RETARDS

BBS Signature

Response to When You Design a Character 2021-08-24 07:54:28

At 9/4/18 06:00 AM, ZebraHumor wrote: Most of my characters are zebras that I create from a template I made. If I can clearly see whatever I am drawing in my head, and I know how to pull it off, I just go for it. Most of the time though, I google "(whatever I'm drawing) clip art" and go through the easiest ones to draw and see how they pulled it off.

What Zebrahumor said. When I design a character, their whole back story and personality is already written in my mind. That way you can add the subtle things in their look that shows their upbringing or past.