00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MrFantastik88 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

have any tips on drawing hair?

320 Views | 5 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

have any tips on drawing hair? 2018-05-28 18:10:36

I'm having trouble with drawing it. I honestly think it all looks meh to me. So got any suggestions?

have any tips on drawing hair?

I turn water into water

BBS Signature

Response to have any tips on drawing hair? 2018-05-30 15:52:58

I like the very top one, honestly I would just say dont X them out but start with one and just build onto it see where it goes from there.

~X~

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

[] The Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] COMIC >> WAYNES WORLD

BBS Signature

Seems like you're drawing the hair too separately, drawing every single one of the strands is a bit of a problem when trying to understand it. Instead try to imagine the whole thing as just "clumps."
What I personally tried doing is doing a bunch of practice drawings starting from someone's hair part and just worked down by drawing clumps of strands.
Here's the best way I can describe it (sorry for the wonky quality, my tablet pressure's being dumb atm and I'm too lazy to fix it).
Like @coolcatdaddio was saying, try to keep the hair going in the same direction (starting from the scalp). When you look at someone's hair, it usually starts from a certain point even when super short and curly.

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to have any tips on drawing hair? 2018-06-05 09:25:22

At 5/28/18 06:10 PM, Klaudesin wrote: I'm having trouble with drawing it. I honestly think it all looks meh to me. So got any suggestions?

I feel ya, dude. Hair is a mystery. Is it even solid? It moves around all the time.

Jokes aside, the way I do it now is by using blocks of color with a massive brush then sculpting away with the eraser tool - digitally of course. When sketching traditionally though, I try to just think of them as larger chunks of 3D objects - like how everyone's mentioned previously. Then all you gotta do is think of an interesting looking shape that complements the face (unless you're doing realism, in that case just go with the natural). Try looking for reference of drawings if you're stuck.

peskytarian

BBS Signature

Response to have any tips on drawing hair? 2018-06-05 10:42:23

At 5/28/18 06:10 PM, Klaudesin wrote: I'm having trouble with drawing it. I honestly think it all looks meh to me. So got any suggestions?

I think you can use some darker lines to start. It will help you and us to better see what you're doing. Second think of hair like a cloth that sits on top of a ball. Maybe even do some studies of that, it will help you have a better idea of how it would move and thus give you a better grasp on how to draw it in different positions.

*My two cents.

Response to have any tips on drawing hair? 2018-06-07 10:03:52

I still don't get it all of these years later, but I think I know how to get it. Some people are good at analyzing concepts, like they see someones hair, and their mind makes a low polygon simplified version where its like, OH YOU GOT A BOWL CUT? IM GONNA DRAW A BOWL AROUND YOUR HEAD. Or, OH YOU GOT LONG CURLS? IM GONNA DRAW WIDE LASAGNA STRIPS COMIN OFF YOUR HEAD!

I'm not like that though, I kinda suck, but thinking of shapes you know when drawing hair can help. The other way is to just take like 40 pictures of hair you like, or the same picture, and draw 40 times. After enough of that, some of it has to stick in your mind, and youll understand how part of the structure works. Its also good to watch videos of japanese or korean manga/manwha artists draw, the way they flesh out hair is interesting, and theyre honestly masters at making lots of quality styles in a simple way.

Master of questionable life choices