00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

StemlyAnarchy just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

"Flash Builder 4.7" looks all wrong

1,017 Views | 3 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I've got to be looking at the wrong software. This looks nothing at all like every tutorial out there. No GUI, no timeline, just code. This can't be right.

What should I be using to start creating simple Flash apps?

Response to "Flash Builder 4.7" looks all wrong 2018-05-24 18:50:03

Update: I'm supposed to be in Animate CC, aren't I? Just figured that out... Weird about the name change.

What the hell is FlashBuilder even for? It's a bit ridiculous.

Response to "Flash Builder 4.7" looks all wrong 2018-05-25 10:10:51

At 5/24/18 10:03 PM, FireFoxxy wrote: Flash is dead. Use HTML5 and javascript as a alternative.

Cool. Sorry just to confirm though: I'm definitely working with "Animate CC" to build this stuff out right?

At 5/24/18 06:50 PM, ohigetjokes wrote: Update: I'm supposed to be in Animate CC, aren't I? Just figured that out... Weird about the name change.

What the hell is FlashBuilder even for? It's a bit ridiculous.

FlashBuilder was (is) a development platform/environment based on Eclipse to build web-based applications and games. No visual tools, just coding, and the output is Flash player based.
It's dead and gone. The last update was back in 2012.

Flash is the old name for Animate CC. FlashBuilder has little or nothing to do with Flash or AnimateCC, except that they all export apps and games for the Flash plugin in a browser. Flash could be used as companion tool in FlashBuilder's development workflow, for example for asset generation.

Since the Flash player is no longer supported in most browsers, no longer supported by Adobe, and never was an option on mobile platforms, Flash is now pretty much dead as well.

Instead, if you want to develop games for the web to be run in a browser environment, your options are:
- Html5/CSS/JS DOM based
- HTML5 Canvas and jS
- WebAssembly

AnimateCC exports to Canvas + JS. Construct 3 exports to Canvas + JS. Godot Engine exports to WebAssembly. Unity exports to WebAssembly. Or you code from scratch.

Newgrounds will play Canvas and WebAssembly (tested this myself). Not sure about pure DOM-based games.