00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

nuggetior just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Animation that inspires you?

617 Views | 26 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Animation that inspires you? 2018-05-04 20:51:58

What do you folks look for in great animation? The kinda stuff that really piques your creativity and inspires you to make your own cartoons?

Personally, I'm most drawn to animation that's a good combination of strong draftsmanship and cartoony overacting. One of my favorite animators is Milt Kahl, one of Disney's Nine Old Men (I've included a sample gif here). I have plenty of other inspirations, but I'd love to see yours!

Response to Animation that inspires you? 2018-05-06 12:57:29

Sounds pretty gay but recently been getting some inspiration from some anime. I also get inspiration from people like Cboyardee, PilotRedSun, and Sick Animation so it's a bit all over the place. It's good to explore different styles.

8======D:

Response to Animation that inspires you? 2018-05-06 13:07:13

At 5/6/18 12:57 PM, ducciboi wrote: Sounds pretty gay but recently been getting some inspiration from some anime. I also get inspiration from people like Cboyardee, PilotRedSun, and Sick Animation so it's a bit all over the place. It's good to explore different styles.

Right on! I love me a good anime, but I'm mostly inspired by the 80s-90s cyberpunk stuff. Like you said tho, It's definitely good to have a big pool of inspiration.

Response to Animation that inspires you? 2018-05-06 20:26:58

This might not be directly involved in the animation process itself but I get inspired by a lot of ideas from cartoons. One of the biggest inspirations to me was 'Rugrats' because it's an example of an idea that is so basic and small but can be expanded on almost indefinitely. Babies explore the world and their imagination goes wild be it during playtime or doing something literal like trying to help Stu get to a meeting on time. That's why I personally consider the Rugrats to be a genius idea for a show. There is truly no original ideas out there so I feel you can grow as an artist when you accept that we all live on top of the shoulders of giants. From there you take an inspiration and mold it into something that someone will recognize YOU not the original inspiration.

I know that's not involving the animation PROCESS but I feel that the idea for what you wanna make is just as important as the animation itself!

'Over-thinking, over-analyzing separates the body from the mind.'

BBS Signature

Response to Animation that inspires you? 2018-05-06 21:19:43

At 5/6/18 08:26 PM, xDeadBoii wrote: This might not be directly involved in the animation process itself but I get inspired by a lot of ideas from cartoons. One of the biggest inspirations to me was 'Rugrats' because it's an example of an idea that is so basic and small but can be expanded on almost indefinitely. Babies explore the world and their imagination goes wild be it during playtime or doing something literal like trying to help Stu get to a meeting on time. That's why I personally consider the Rugrats to be a genius idea for a show. There is truly no original ideas out there so I feel you can grow as an artist when you accept that we all live on top of the shoulders of giants. From there you take an inspiration and mold it into something that someone will recognize YOU not the original inspiration.

I know that's not involving the animation PROCESS but I feel that the idea for what you wanna make is just as important as the animation itself!

I agree, Rugrats was a brilliant premise! I grew up on the show, but I was always more of a Rocko's Modern Life fan ;)

And yeah, the idea is certainly an integral part of good animation, not just the technicals. AN amazing idea can make all the difference when is comes to great art.

Response to Animation that inspires you? 2018-05-08 12:19:11

The creators of Superjail and Ballmastrz really inspire me

Notorious internet cunt

My old username was StaticSkull

She/Her

BBS Signature

Response to Animation that inspires you? 2018-05-10 11:32:15

At 5/8/18 12:19 PM, GavinPyon wrote: The creators of Superjail and Ballmastrz really inspire me

Superjai was pretty fun, but I've never seen Ballmastrz. I'll hafta check it out!

Response to Animation that inspires you? 2018-05-10 17:36:30

At 5/4/18 08:51 PM, Orbital-Death-Ray wrote: What do you folks look for in great animation? The kinda stuff that really piques your creativity and inspires you to make your own cartoons?

definitely a common one, but I love Disney's animation. Been smooth as a babies butt since it first started, I think. And Lionclaws' animations, those are good too, but she needs to work on her anatomy.

Iron Giant is awesome

Response to Animation that inspires you? 2018-05-11 00:39:49

At 5/4/18 08:51 PM, Orbital-Death-Ray wrote: What do you folks look for in great animation? The kinda stuff that really piques your creativity and inspires you to make your own cartoons?

Personally, I'm most drawn to animation that's a good combination of strong draftsmanship and cartoony overacting. One of my favorite animators is Milt Kahl, one of Disney's Nine Old Men (I've included a sample gif here). I have plenty of other inspirations, but I'd love to see yours!

Always been a fan of the cheesy just "penciled/Stick Figure not so full" art style when it comes to animations.

Response to Animation that inspires you? 2018-05-11 09:38:04

Always been a fan of the cheesy just "penciled/Stick Figure not so full" art style when it comes to animations.

Oh nice! You mean things like Stickdeath and Dick Figures?

curretnly I'm not having tendencis to my Idols but I definetively have few.

I love cowboy bebop and Evangelion and 90's anime, but the work related to Todd Mcfarlane is what stuns me the most, the animated parts in Freak on the leash left a mark on my mind when i was 4, and The graphics in Do the evolution are just wow.

Of course right now my skills are low, so I just try to work on my own with no reference whatsoever (besides real life motion) But in the future I'm pretty sure I'll go for Grunge/cyber punk asthetics with some 90's anime scene composition.

Honorable mentions: Spiderman Unlimited, extreme ghostbusters, Batman the animated Series (92), Men in Black the animated series, Godzilla The animated Series and Pinky and the Brain (is that the name in english?)

Response to Animation that inspires you? 2018-05-11 11:47:10

The original aeon flux series really made me interested in animation. Though its designs are strange and its not the best drawn cartoon/anime ( at least not in this day and age) I did really like the whole yesterday morning cartoon style merging with the F'ed up plots and the early concept of Aeon dying every episode was interesting. I do prefer the shorts compared too the full 22 minuets episodes.

The worth of a man can be measured by the length of his reverb, and the girth of his waveform

Thees waveforme iz veri dangerous. Ve must deal vit it. squash

Response to Animation that inspires you? 2018-05-12 00:49:22

At 5/11/18 11:47 AM, Codex22 wrote: The original aeon flux series really made me interested in animation. Though its designs are strange and its not the best drawn cartoon/anime ( at least not in this day and age) I did really like the whole yesterday morning cartoon style merging with the F'ed up plots and the early concept of Aeon dying every episode was interesting. I do prefer the shorts compared too the full 22 minuets episodes.

DUDE, I agree 100%. Aeon Flux was seriously rad as a series of shorst, I've always been a big fan of James Cheung's animation!

Response to Animation that inspires you? 2018-05-12 00:50:15

At 5/11/18 12:23 PM, Rennh wrote: https://i0.wp.com/blackandyellowotakugamers.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/mikasa.gif?resize=445%2C250&ssl=1

Hell yes! What show is this from?

Response to Animation that inspires you? 2018-05-12 08:51:12

At 5/12/18 12:50 AM, Orbital-Death-Ray wrote:
At 5/11/18 12:23 PM, Rennh wrote: https://i0.wp.com/blackandyellowotakugamers.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/mikasa.gif?resize=445%2C250&ssl=1
Hell yes! What show is this from?

its attack on titan

https://youtu.be/2zM8yxuDEfo?t=4m7s

The worth of a man can be measured by the length of his reverb, and the girth of his waveform

Thees waveforme iz veri dangerous. Ve must deal vit it. squash

Response to Animation that inspires you? 2018-05-22 15:09:50

As funny as it can sound, recently I was inspired by Minecraft: The Noob Adventure. It popped into my mind and I re-watched it. But besides that, pretty much everything.

Response to Animation that inspires you? 2018-05-23 00:30:34

Anything Hayao Miyazaki is my jam!!! Beautiful animation.

Response to Animation that inspires you? 2018-05-23 12:08:38

At 5/23/18 12:30 AM, Mabelma wrote: Anything Hayao Miyazaki is my jam!!! Beautiful animation.

Oh DEFINITELY! Miyazaki is one of my heroes, I can't egt enough of his stuff!

Response to Animation that inspires you? 2018-05-23 14:09:24

Im really into webtoons that arent too professional, The idea of one person animating a full episode of a show is astounding. I also love the my hero academia animation style,I dont know why but it feels different from most other styles in a good way

Response to Animation that inspires you? 2018-05-23 14:13:22

At 5/23/18 02:09 PM, TheMightyWeakling wrote: Im really into webtoons that arent too professional, The idea of one person animating a full episode of a show is astounding. I also love the my hero academia animation style,I dont know why but it feels different from most other styles in a good way

Yeah, some of those one-person webtoons are seriously legit. A Fox in Space comes to mind, and folks like David Firth and Jason Steele are big inspirations.

Response to Animation that inspires you? 2018-05-24 15:38:43

Recently watched "Megalo Box" -- in AWE! || Also adds Yō Moriyama, the director, as a favourite.

Response to Animation that inspires you? 2018-05-24 15:46:53

At 5/24/18 03:38 PM, Akuaitance wrote: Recently watched "Megalo Box" -- in AWE! || Also adds Yō Moriyama, the director, as a favourite.

Oh cool! I'm definitely gonna check that out, thanks for the recommendation!

Response to Animation that inspires you? 2018-05-31 06:32:59

forgive me for the long story lol.

When I was a kid, about 6 or 7, I was out in the country at my grandparents house. My uncle lived there at the time, he was a pretty artsy guy. Well, he had the "Animation show" can't remember if it was VHS or DVD or what but I watched the whole thing. I remember it being very strange and new. I'd only seen animated big production movies, Mostly Disney and Ghibli movies, at the time. The shorts in that show elicited emotions from my young mind. It sparked my likeness towards art. And although I'd mostly forgotten about it until years later it'd brought me onto a ton of stuff. Probably even to this website. Still a big fan of Don Hetzerfelt.

Response to Animation that inspires you? 2018-06-07 14:06:29

This may sound kind of weird but the thing that inspires me the most is madness combat I just wanted to try it out and I love animating in it's style

Response to Animation that inspires you? 2018-06-08 12:17:02

I think Im more inspired by people who finished a film/series with very little resources or got "big" on Youtube on their own. That inspires me. Like Edds World or David Firth. It's just like one dude who made something and kept doing it and then got great at it.

Response to Animation that inspires you? 2018-06-08 19:39:57

I am very inspired by Joel Veitch of Rather Good. He showed me awesome videos can be kinda crappy. My videos are definitely kind of crappy but I still like them.