00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Someone gifted Ministerhomer supporter status!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Feedback on my art?

330 Views | 9 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Feedback on my art? 2018-04-27 17:20:52

Hey folks,

I'm new to art on Newgrounds, and would love your feedback on some of my art.

Here are some of my recent submissions (including my new avatar):

Thanks so much!

Signature stuff. DeviantArt

Response to Feedback on my art? 2018-04-27 22:54:27

At 4/27/18 09:30 PM, CalmBound wrote:
At 4/27/18 05:20 PM, DarlingMaxim wrote: Hey folks,

Interesting combinations...

A thing I would like to recommend is to add some shading and brightening so that it can balance your art piece.

Anyway, good works so far! Keep it up!

Do you mean more dramatic lighting?

Cause as it is, they all have shading and highlighting.

Response to Feedback on my art? 2018-04-28 04:10:55

At 4/27/18 10:54 PM, DarlingMaxim wrote:

I think what he means is adding more contrast, though honestly I think that the place where the light is hitting itself seems to be a bit wonky. Like for example, in the Raven artwork the lighting on her skin seems to be coming directly from the front yet at the same time, the shading on her cloak is coming in from a different angle.

The first one seems to be pretty on point in terms of shading, but I still feel like more textures would be nice. ;u; One trick you can do is using an airbrush and slowly making a darker gradient come out from the shading (if that makes sense) to give the cell shading more depth. Just experiment a bit with effects and play around with different light sources if you can. ovo

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to Feedback on my art? 2018-04-28 04:17:00

At 4/28/18 04:10 AM, Oddlem wrote:
At 4/27/18 10:54 PM, DarlingMaxim wrote:

I think what he means is adding more contrast, though honestly I think that the place where the light is hitting itself seems to be a bit wonky. Like for example, in the Raven artwork the lighting on her skin seems to be coming directly from the front yet at the same time, the shading on her cloak is coming in from a different angle.

The first one seems to be pretty on point in terms of shading, but I still feel like more textures would be nice. ;u; One trick you can do is using an airbrush and slowly making a darker gradient come out from the shading (if that makes sense) to give the cell shading more depth. Just experiment a bit with effects and play around with different light sources if you can. ovo

Thanks for the feedback. I will have to examine my light source more carefully in the future. I'm actually a photographer, so I'm drawing upon that experience with lighting to help with my drawing, but it's taking some getting used to.

I am happy with how Darling Maxim turned out. I thought about using an airbrush for that one, but wanted to try shading it normal cell-style to see how it looked - experimenting with different techniques, since I did use an airbrush for Raven and Starfire.

Also, any feedback/thoughts on Starfire?

Response to Feedback on my art? 2018-04-28 04:31:36 (edited 2018-04-28 04:37:09)

At 4/28/18 04:17 AM, DarlingMaxim wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. I will have to examine my light source more carefully in the future. I'm actually a photographer, so I'm drawing upon that experience with lighting to help with my drawing, but it's taking some getting used to.

I am happy with how Darling Maxim turned out. I thought about using an airbrush for that one, but wanted to try shading it normal cell-style to see how it looked - experimenting with different techniques, since I did use an airbrush for Raven and Starfire.

[edit] ALSO here's a huge mega tutorial that dives into shading metals, super helpful if you're willing to take a look. The metal section should be listed under "material."

Also, any feedback/thoughts on Starfire?

Ahh, that's understandable. ovo Transitioning from one artform to another can be a bit tricky at times.

For the Starfire one, it seems like the shading doesn't have enough values (especially the metals). Usually when shading metals, they reflect a TON of light so there's usually a really dark value next to a light one with some reflective lighting near the ends (kind of like this, my apologies for the rushed shading). I also think that her waist needs to be a little more defined. ;w;

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to Feedback on my art? 2018-04-28 14:22:26 (edited 2018-04-28 14:23:12)

Voted

Starfire seems to have an uncharacteristically strong jawline, broad shoulders and large lips.

BBS Signature

Response to Feedback on my art? 2018-04-28 15:14:36

http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/garaladin/starfire

Jaw too big, looks like a Hon

http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/garaladin/raven

Jaw too big, fairly dopey looking face/expresion

http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/darlingmaxim/darling-maxim

Much better, but do not use pillow shading.

Thanks so much!

Overall you must practice. Work on your proportions and then your perspectives.

Dr. Spedmund McMallet

BBS Signature

Response to Feedback on my art? 2018-04-28 17:26:25

Thanks for sharing with us you are very talented and would love to see more

~X~

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

[] The Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] COMIC >> WAYNES WORLD

BBS Signature

Response to Feedback on my art? 2018-04-28 21:25:03 (edited 2018-04-28 21:27:17)

At 4/28/18 03:14 PM, Spedmallet wrote:

http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/garaladin/starfire
Jaw too big, looks like a Hon

http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/garaladin/raven
Jaw too big, fairly dopey looking face/expresion

http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/darlingmaxim/darling-maxim
Much better, but do not use pillow shading.

Thanks so much!
Overall you must practice. Work on your proportions and then your perspectives.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

I realize Starfire and Raven have jawlines that are a bit more masculine/broad. That was on purpose, as I was going for a more realistic look, and that was my personal take on it, but I'm certainly open to experimenting with different styles.

Can you explain what you mean by pillow shading?

Edit: I looked it up, and you are so right. I do that a lot especially with my skin areas.

Response to Feedback on my art? 2018-04-29 17:03:49

At 4/29/18 04:51 PM, IVOanimations wrote: Bro, your arts are good tho, so maybe you should need a little talent on those arts and maybe it'll be important that you put a lot of work into it, and but i also like the latest artwork that you made so, also you should keep on going and also you can keep practicing those techniques and also your arts will get better at the time as well, so keep it up and have a nice day, mate.

Thanks for the support, good sir. Hoping I'll get scouted soon. But I'll just keep on posting, and improving my craft.