00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

markololohands just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Should I get a Drawing Pad?

256 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

All this time, Ive either used free online sprites, asked somebody to draw some for me, or did a really shitty job at doing it myself with the mouse.

Im not bad at drawing on paper. Should I get one of these Pads? I can afford them.
What do they really do? Do they just replace the mouse?
Do they work outside art programs, meaning it becomes a complete replacement?

Which do you recommend? I heard Wacoms are the best.
Are digital ones really that expensive?
Being a linux user wont alter anything, wont it?

Wanna help me steal a giraffe?

At 4/21/18 05:50 PM, CitizenGoose wrote: All this time, Ive either used free online sprites, asked somebody to draw some for me, or did a really shitty job at doing it myself with the mouse.

[edit] Didn't see you asking how they work. Honestly, I think that if you don't know how they work then it might not be a good time to invest in one and that you'd be better off studying art first. But basically how they work is: imagine a piece of paper right in front of your screen. You hover a pen right over the piece of paper, and the cursor on your screen will mimic it's coordinates on the screen. The hovering mechanic is known as "pen pressure," which is why it's better to get it when you know a decent amount about art so that you can properly utilize all of it's features (the equivalent is "line weight," where light strokes = smaller lines so that the line art looks nicer. Also density is important too).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only buy a tablet when you think you're at a certain "level" in order to properly use it. Although I'm not saying that you're doing this, I'm only giving a small warning, many people think that a tablet will instantly make their art skills better. Though it does help you improve a lot, it's not going to magically make your art better or anything.

So basically: get it if you're really devoted to art and are going to use it to practice a lot, or if you've already improved a lot and feel as though you're ready for it. Otherwise, you might lose interest or get disappointed. But really, it's your call. Just know that if you're not going to use the pen pressure, you might as well be using a mouse anyway (and I say this because I myself started out like this when I first got it).

Also, I personally like wacom the best. I got my tablet in 2012 when I was 12 and it's lasted me ever since. I do not recommend buying off brands, since I feel like they break sooner.

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Hmm yeah. Ill definitely do my research, but Im just tired of drawing with the mouse.
I draw something on paper, It looks cool, but then drawing nice lines with the mouse becomes hell.
Do you recommend any specific wacom models?

Response to Should I get a Drawing Pad? 2018-04-21 22:20:54

Yes, get a drawing tablet. Once you're used to it, you get stuff done much faster. Especially for sprites.

If you're not sure what to buy, I would recommend the Wacom Intuos series (not the Intuos Pro, it's overqualified for new tablet users). They're affordable and last an unbelievably long time. You should do your research of course, but I personally jumped on board the moment I had the opportunity and it's been a productivity spree for me ever since.

peskytarian

BBS Signature

Response to Should I get a Drawing Pad? 2018-04-22 07:19:46

Go with a nice cheap wacom tablet. you can splurge out on a massive monitor thing that would take up your desk and cost as much as a second hand car but it would be a tremendous waste of money if it turns out drawing digital stuff isnt your thing.

it takes some getting used to, but once you're used to it everything is easier

oh, and uh, yeah. Go buy one

Dr. Spedmund McMallet

BBS Signature

Response to Should I get a Drawing Pad? 2018-07-21 05:21:12

Yay! I got my first tablet! A wacom intuos ctl4100 (Medium). It came with corel painter essentials 6, aftershot, and an anime/manga editting program that I havent used yet.

Im still getting used to it, but damn its so cool! I already feel Im improving.

Response to Should I get a Drawing Pad? 2018-07-21 06:53:26

At 7/21/18 05:21 AM, CitizenGoose wrote: Yay! I got my first tablet! A wacom intuos ctl4100 (Medium). It came with corel painter essentials 6, aftershot, and an anime/manga editting program that I havent used yet.

Im still getting used to it, but damn its so cool! I already feel Im improving.

Good stuff, welcome to the realm of digital art.

The other program you got is Clip Studio Paint, really nice general-use art program with some extra functionality for comics. Best brush engine ever, I really recommend it.