00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Sinnymon just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Newgrounds looks like shit now

2,785 Views | 64 Replies

Newgrounds looks like shit now 2018-04-20 11:46:15

I hate to say it but it's true. It's just been getting worse and worse.

The whole point of posting on Newgrounds was that it was a badass place to put your art. Now it's mad gay. So slick and corporate and fake. It makes me sick. Why bother, I could just post on youtube or even fucking tumblr.

Listen I like the new banner thing on the userpages, and I don't even mind the new logo even though its pretty cheesy with the orange part lighting up. But the slickness is so fake and horrible and the userpages are horrendous. Looking on the wayback machine i think the design of like 2010 was just fine.

I am a Newgrounds neo-con at heart but I'm not saying we need to make it go back to 2005. You can make new designs if you want but just make it fucking cool and not new wave website corporate bullshit.

Newgrounds was cool. It ain't cool anymore. Fuck this place now. I still got mad love for it, the homies and Tom and I will gladly come back and change my mind if you try to make more traditional or just not make it look gay. I'll always have loyalty to Newgrounds but it doesnt even feel like Newgrounds anymore.

Response to Newgrounds looks like shit now 2018-04-20 12:02:53

At 4/20/18 11:46 AM, MarlinTrix wrote: Newgrounds was cool. It ain't cool anymore.

lmfao

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds looks like shit now 2018-04-20 12:08:48

There's always hecklers.

Response to Newgrounds looks like shit now 2018-04-20 12:50:35

At 4/20/18 11:46 AM, MarlinTrix wrote: You can make new designs if you want but just make it fucking cool and not new wave website corporate bullshit.

Let's hear your suggestions.

Don't ignore this, I want you to write down what you think is a better idea.

-Formerly known as Phobotech-

Voice Actor / Pre-Production Animator / Illustrator / T-Shirt Designer / Author

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds looks like shit now 2018-04-20 14:11:11

Mmmhmm...

Response to Newgrounds looks like shit now 2018-04-20 14:32:31

At 4/20/18 11:54 AM, Sekhem wrote: lmfao
At 4/20/18 12:02 PM, Alias wrote: lmfao

lmfao

Response to Newgrounds looks like shit now 2018-04-20 14:38:23

At 4/20/18 11:46 AM, MarlinTrix wrote: The whole point of posting on Newgrounds was that it was a badass place to put your art. Now it's mad gay. So slick and corporate and fake. It makes me sick. Why bother, I could just post on youtube or even fucking tumblr.

You haven’t posted anything. At all.

BBS Signature

At 4/20/18 11:46 AM, MarlinTrix wrote:
I am a Newgrounds neo-con at heart but I'm not saying we need to make it go back to 2005. You can make new designs if you want but just make it fucking cool and not new wave website corporate bullshit.

Newgrounds was cool. It ain't cool anymore. Fuck this place now. I still got mad love for it, the homies and Tom and I will gladly come back and change my mind if you try to make more traditional or just not make it look gay. I'll always have loyalty to Newgrounds but it doesnt even feel like Newgrounds anymore.

Who cares? The site was designed, but the community itself is the same. You're no different than everyone after the Youtube 2011 update complaining about every single tiny update they pushed out, but at least they had a reason to complain because Youtube was becoming so robotic. Newgrounds is still the new Newgrounds with a different skin. Not like you know that though, since you've barely interacted with the community (which is you know, the most important part of Newgrounds).

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds looks like shit now 2018-04-20 15:00:35

Yeah, it does look kinda plastic. And the userpage looks like fucking twitter now.

nostalgiafags afraid of change HAAAAA

also it looks waay waay better now i hope they change BBS to more eyecandy
maybe give us bigger avis

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds looks like shit now 2018-04-20 15:51:33

Is your choice of a site based on graphics and not content? Disgraceful.

"خيبر خيبر يايهود جيش محمد سوف يعود"

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds looks like shit now 2018-04-20 16:24:30

At 4/20/18 03:51 PM, satanbrain wrote: Is your choice of a site based on graphics and not content? Disgraceful.

the community here is pure gold content

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds looks like shit now 2018-04-20 23:05:24

At 4/20/18 03:51 PM, satanbrain wrote: Is your choice of a site based on graphics and not content? Disgraceful.

I won''t even get started on the content. But regardless Newgrounds is about history too and about potential. And right now it feels like some fake corporate peeshit

Response to Newgrounds looks like shit now 2018-04-20 23:06:30

At 4/20/18 03:00 PM, Makakaov wrote: Yeah, it does look kinda plastic. And the userpage looks like fucking twitter now.

EXACTLY. Plastic bro. It feels like supermarket isle bullshit. And listen I hate dissing Newgrounds. Tom is a God but he's fuckin up bad

Response to Newgrounds looks like shit now 2018-04-20 23:11:49

At 4/20/18 11:06 PM, MarlinTrix wrote: EXACTLY. Plastic bro. It feels like supermarket isle bullshit. And listen I hate dissing Newgrounds. Tom is a God but he's fuckin up bad

Honestly this boils down to personal opinion, Tom has said before that he's found Twitter's layout to be the best of all social media, and I agree.

It may be that I just really enjoy user personalization a little too much but still, It's really not that bad.

Response to Newgrounds looks like shit now 2018-04-21 02:51:56

this place went downhill after 2003

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds looks like shit now 2018-04-21 03:30:48

You have to get with the times if you want to survive. Anything that sticks around for long enough will evolve to a point where those at the beginning wouldn't recognize it. It's just how things are. You don't have to like it; in fact, it's better if you don't, in a way. but you do have to accept it. That, or move on.

What ever happened to the middle?

Also, MUSIC!! Check it out 'n stuff. {1}

Change is inevitable... over the most recent redesign I don't think this is any worse, though I am missing the more texturized menu items and stuff like that since the slimmed down transition version that came in between. Had gotten pretty used to those sleek-looking buttons. The new's... so different.

I still feel like 2007 was the pinnacle, loved the details, but I can live with this. The user pages are definitely getting cooler, I really like the new reactions (though they shouldn't be on comments too - too much), and with more focus on the content: I guess I'll be focusing more on the content! Which is still awesome. Do miss the details that keep getting trimmed away though; often seem like a sacrifice for the new ones... or the new image...

Since 2007 each design's seemed both good and bad. Some awesome new features; some awesome old features removed.

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds looks like shit now 2018-04-21 10:43:42

With some of the artists I’ve seen giving the site a try because of the new changes, it seems hard to argue that this is a step in the right direction to get things chugging more.

I believe he’s stated it before but most pages you see are in layout 4.5 before more aesthetic changes happen, things need to work on mobile and then things will spice up more. Unfortunately you can’t have your cake and eat it too, either the site remains stagnant and inaccessible to newcomers or they adapt to a few modern web practices and open windows for new life.

That’s not to say “get onboard or get fucked”, constructive criticism is the best way to express the aspects of this you hate/love and why/how it could be better

Response to Newgrounds looks like shit now 2018-04-21 12:58:00

At 4/21/18 10:50 AM, SansNumbers wrote: The userpages currently look like Newgrounds is wearing the skin of Twitter, and it's distressing to me that every website in the universe is scrambling to have the same UI. The websites that everyone is trying to base their websites off of now are cold, unfeeling shitholes that sell your shoe preferences to Russian hacker bots. How can a website like this, which has always had this sort of alternative, against-the-grain aesthetic, look at that and say "yep, that's what I want to be like"?

You fucking nailed it, bro. Newgrounds should be the REACTION to this mainstream garbage. That's what it was before. I'm not saying we need to go back to making assassin games featuring sychophants on youtuber and attention whores on twitch but we should make a solid ALTERNATIVE to the mainstream. Fun, positive and dope.

Response to Newgrounds looks like shit now 2018-04-21 13:00:25

At 4/20/18 11:11 PM, DanielTheManiel wrote:
At 4/20/18 11:06 PM, MarlinTrix wrote: EXACTLY. Plastic bro. It feels like supermarket isle bullshit. And listen I hate dissing Newgrounds. Tom is a God but he's fuckin up bad
Honestly this boils down to personal opinion, Tom has said before that he's found Twitter's layout to be the best of all social media, and I agree.

It may be that I just really enjoy user personalization a little too much but still, It's really not that bad.

It's worse than twitter. I have to say it. I like the new personalization too. Tom is smart and knows what he's doing there but Jesus I don't know why he wants to make the website head in faggy directions.

Response to Newgrounds looks like shit now 2018-04-21 13:53:18

At 4/20/18 02:32 PM, OneThousandMeeps wrote:
At 4/20/18 11:54 AM, Sekhem wrote: lmfao
At 4/20/18 12:02 PM, Alias wrote: lmfao
lmfao

lmfao

Response to Newgrounds looks like shit now 2018-04-21 14:04:01

I still would like supporters to have the option of swapping the background art here to the more sterile traditional grey-gold. It looked more underground back then and that's what I prefer. I'm sure a number of others do too.

As for the most recent userpage change, I don't mind. Some of the voices here are right- the internet changes with the times; site layouts and interfaces especially. We just gotta roll with it. Sometimes the changes are objectively worse, but the pursuit of improvement is always there to stay ahead of the competition.

Happily ETS'd.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds looks like shit now 2018-04-21 14:38:26

At 4/21/18 02:28 PM, SansNumbers wrote: How are you going to stay ahead of the competition if you're just following the leader?

And stagnating is any better?

Happily ETS'd.

BBS Signature

At 4/21/18 12:58 PM, MarlinTrix wrote: You fucking nailed it, bro. Newgrounds should be the REACTION to this mainstream garbage.

you're right, we should go back to a simpler time when EyeLovePoozy would have fucked your asshole

Dr. Spedmund McMallet

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds looks like shit now 2018-04-21 15:43:50

Just have NG back to the style used in 2007 if you want...

Tragically I used to be like this for several years. Complaining about every new streamlined "generic"/"corporate" looking redesign. But at the end of the day whining doesn't change jack shit. You may not like emojis, or a website redesign, or a new logo, but complaining about it is pointless and infinitely more annoying.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds looks like shit now 2018-04-21 18:42:08

This place still rocks, what are you all on about? The old designs from the early 2000's reek of stagnant Internet. If Newgrounds went back, it wouldn't attract as many new users.

Ignore this signature.

Response to Newgrounds looks like shit now 2018-04-21 18:51:28

At 4/21/18 06:39 PM, SansNumbers wrote:
At 4/21/18 06:12 PM, kw12 wrote: Tragically I used to be like this for several years. Complaining about every new streamlined "generic"/"corporate" looking redesign. But at the end of the day whining doesn't change jack shit. You may not like emojis, or a website redesign, or a new logo, but complaining about it is pointless and infinitely more annoying.
Excuse me for not wanting the world to be a perfect sphere of homogenous paste where everyone drinks Soylent and communicates using five pictograms. I’d welcome a redesign that was more bold and avant-garde, but this is just disappointing.

But barely anything has changed substantially. The general layout is still the same and the classic portal is still there. The forums are still here. Features haven't been removed to make the pages look more simple like some sites *cough* YouTube *cough* are so fond of doing.
Just because there's a new skin doesn't mean the site's unique identity is gone and it's somehow identical to the social media cesspool that makes up the majority of the internet these days.
In fairness my previous comment was worded in a way that made me sound somewhat like a dickhead but you see my point?

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds looks like shit now 2018-04-21 20:00:15

That's true, but at the same time it sends a subtle message that Newgrounds is trying to save itself by putting on some kind of social media skin suit, and that moving in that direction is not out of the question.

In fairness my previous comment was worded in a way that made me sound somewhat like a dickhead but you see my point?
Yes. I will admit I am overreacting a little because of certain hangups I have about The World, and I hope you get what I'm trying to say as well.

Yeah, it can suck to see a site you love changed to better fit in with the crowd. But I try not to let it bother me any more. Glad we could come to some sort of agreement instead of just yelling at each other.

BBS Signature