00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

aniMATING just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

New User Pages & Updates!

38,527 Views | 234 Replies
Respond to this Topic

New User Pages & Updates! 2018-04-18 11:31:19

@PsychoGoldfish pushed a bunch of updates live today, let’s walk through them!

1) New User Pages! Your user page is now mobile-friendly and we’ve brought back page headers but with a modern flare where they stretch to fill the screen. Instead of two different user pics, you now have one that serves as your icon throughout the site.

We’ve added reactions to blog posts! We’re hoping this fills the gap when you want to acknowledge someone’s post but don’t have anything to say. Try to speak up when you can, though!

You can now edit your profile information in-page rather than dig for it under your account options. You’ll find color customization options in there, too. We intend to create color groupings for the three background tints as a quick-and-easy option later. Let us know anything you find confusing because we want to keep improving it.

2) New Site Header! We’ve streamlined the header and on desktop you can do more without leaving the page. For example the PM (private messages) button now shows your latest PM summary in-page and will ultimately load your messages in-page as well, once the PM system has been updated. Your notifications button will load the feed in-page too. The header now scrolls away when you scroll down and re-appears when you scroll up, solving some screen real-estate issues people have had.

3) Feed Updates! You can now reply to and react to blog posts without leaving your feed. This same functionality will be coming to forum posts when the forums get updated. We will be doing a lot of fine-tuning to the feed to make it more readable.

Once the dust settles, our next steps are to revamp the private message and forum systems, making both mobile friendly and adding usability improvements in the process. We’re also tinkering with other aesthetic updates for the coming weeks, wait and see!

Let us know what you think of these updates and pm me with bug reports! Please include your operating system and browser version if you do. You are also welcome to PM me with suggestions or post them right here. If you like making visual mock-ups of ideas or improvements, it is ALWAYS fun to see what people come up with.

If you enjoy the ongoing effort to make Newgrounds the best place on the web, please consider becoming a supporter! We’ve set an aggressive goal for April and need more momentum to hit it.

Newgrounds relies on very few ads and doesn’t do weird things with your personal data to make money, which is why support from the community is VITAL to our success. If you already are a supporter, thank you for making all this possible!

Also thank you to everyone who uses NG in any form, whether you are sharing stuff you made, voting, writing reviews or socializing. Your presence on the site keeps it lively and gives us a reason to live, er keep working on NG. Now would be a great time to spruce up your user page and share a blog post about what you’ve been up to! We’ll be looking around reading all of it.

Be sure to stick around for the Dragonball Z Collab release later today! @PhantomArcade and @IvanAlmighty have really hit it out of the park with organizing this. You won’t want to miss it!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to New User Pages & Updates! 2018-04-18 11:38:53

The site update is sick, today rocks!

Response to New User Pages & Updates! 2018-04-18 11:51:27

At 4/18/18 11:37 AM, Rummy wrote: Absolutely sleek, good feel all around. Now I can finally start on my Tactics Table post.

I'm already getting excited for the next round of updates where I can reply to your post without leaving my feed. So excited for these changes to all be coming together!

BBS Signature

woah lookin fancy as hell, profiles remind me of Twitter, but with a little more edge and coolness to them

but one thing tho, when I'm on a profile, I can't seem to find the navbar thing (games, movies, audio, etc.). Not sure if this is a bug or it's intended.

Also I really like the color customization on the profile pages, and hoping there can be a few more colors added. Too bad I can't just pick some ridiculously obnoxious color like bright ass yellow for everything

also also reacts nice nice nice

also when I make a newspost I get this once i post it: https://www.newgrounds.com/dump/draw/c9635570b4125b797f09643ee76525bb

sicko mode

BBS Signature

Response to New User Pages & Updates! 2018-04-18 12:06:21

Nice, I like it.

Response to New User Pages & Updates! 2018-04-18 12:07:16

At 4/18/18 11:31 AM, TomFulp wrote: @PsychoGoldfish pushed a bunch of updates live today, let’s walk through them!

1) New User Pages!

Only complaint I have is the header image on new user pages not set to cover the entire width (or not even centered) for wider monitors.

It just looks odd.

Response to New User Pages & Updates! 2018-04-18 12:09:22

Woah....

I was thrown for a loop when I came back here after only 4 hours away.

This is going to take some getting used to.

Response to New User Pages & Updates! 2018-04-18 12:20:55

At 4/18/18 11:52 AM, ninjamuffin99 wrote: but one thing tho, when I'm on a profile, I can't seem to find the navbar thing (games, movies, audio, etc.). Not sure if this is a bug or it's intended.

This is intentional to keep more focus on the user and their user nav. Long-term it might be handy to have an account option for making the nav visible everywhere, though.

Also I really like the color customization on the profile pages, and hoping there can be a few more colors added. Too bad I can't just pick some ridiculously obnoxious color like bright ass yellow for everything

We do hue shifting on graphics, which made the color customization a lot more complicated than it would have been if we just did font changes. We do plan to add more colors to the palette though, we'll probably have a thread where people can make suggestions.

also when I make a newspost I get this once i post it: https://www.newgrounds.com/dump/draw/c9635570b4125b797f09643ee76525bb

This is fixed now!

BBS Signature

Response to New User Pages & Updates! 2018-04-18 12:21:23

At 4/18/18 12:07 PM, FrozenFire wrote: Only complaint I have is the header image on new user pages not set to cover the entire width (or not even centered) for wider monitors.

Making note of this, will need to address.

BBS Signature

Response to New User Pages & Updates! 2018-04-18 12:22:43

At 4/18/18 11:55 AM, Rummy wrote: So far when I look at my supporter status it shows N/A and medals/trophies don't seem to be present. I also was taken to a 'page not found' when making a direct reply via my notifications feed. Otherwise everything seems to be running as intended!

I logged a but for the N/A. Did you actually have any trophies or just medals? The medals currently aren't listed on the trophies page but we should probably at least have the summary there since we link to it from trophies & medals in the stat box.

BBS Signature

Response to New User Pages & Updates! 2018-04-18 12:24:24

Really digging the new update. Good UI and UX.

Response to New User Pages & Updates! 2018-04-18 12:24:39

The grey menu of "jump to forum" is awful.

"خيبر خيبر يايهود جيش محمد سوف يعود"

BBS Signature

Response to New User Pages & Updates! 2018-04-18 12:25:32

Thanks Tom to allow us to use banners.

Now my profile looks great.

https://abracadabra123.newgrounds.com/news/post/1011006

Response to New User Pages & Updates! 2018-04-18 12:26:13

At 4/18/18 12:24 PM, satanbrain wrote: The grey menu of "jump to forum" is awful.

Thanks for the heads up, that's not intentional.

BBS Signature

Response to New User Pages & Updates! 2018-04-18 12:28:21

At 4/18/18 12:20 PM, TomFulp wrote: This is fixed now!

ay nice nice, but oooone last thing, the profile header allows GIF files to be uploaded, but I just wanna know if they should be playing or not? because the one I uploaded isn't and I'm also not sure if that's intended or not

sicko mode

BBS Signature

Response to New User Pages & Updates! 2018-04-18 12:30:49

At 4/18/18 12:28 PM, ninjamuffin99 wrote:
At 4/18/18 12:20 PM, TomFulp wrote: This is fixed now!
ay nice nice, but oooone last thing, the profile header allows GIF files to be uploaded, but I just wanna know if they should be playing or not? because the one I uploaded isn't and I'm also not sure if that's intended or not

It doesn't support animated gifs yet but that's something we intend to try.

BBS Signature

Yo the new user pages look awesome! When are the forum pages getting an update?

I really don't know what to put on here.

Response to New User Pages & Updates! 2018-04-18 12:33:36

Some very nice improvements to the site! Really loving all this new front page functionality. The UI header is especially slick; going away when scrolling down the page, but coming back when scrolling up. Pop-up and mini menus for uploads, inbox, notifications, and user profile will make navigation so much smoother.

Obviously, there are some other areas that folks are mentioning for tweaks, but I've got no complaints for the homepage. Looking forward to exploring things a bit more soon.

Response to New User Pages & Updates! 2018-04-18 12:35:13

I haven't been this excited since the redesign!

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to New User Pages & Updates! 2018-04-18 12:38:28

At 4/18/18 12:31 PM, theadhx wrote: Yo the new user pages look awesome! When are the forum pages getting an update?

Forums and PMs are next to get updated, once the quirks of this update are tidied up!

BBS Signature

Response to New User Pages & Updates! 2018-04-18 12:41:17

The new user page looks great! Only suggestion I have right now would be to implement the option to add/remove sections (such as medals).

Also, small bug: if you have audio submissions at the top of the user page and edit your profile, the play icons appear on top of the background color selection tool when you hover over them (at least on Chrome).

Response to New User Pages & Updates! 2018-04-18 12:41:44

At 4/18/18 12:37 PM, lalilulelo008 wrote: i loved the blue pages during april fools, now i can have one.

were there any plans to implement the row of portal and BBS links within user pages?

The thinking is that user pages should prioritize the user and reduce the presence of NG. For a newcomer visiting an artist's page, the NG sub-nav competes with the artist's own nav, for example with competing links for games, movies, audio, etc. We're hoping removing it from user pages isn't too much of an inconvenience.

The news link is up in the air and I'll be watching to see how many views it gets while just on the front page, vs in the header.

BBS Signature

Response to New User Pages & Updates! 2018-04-18 12:42:36

At 4/18/18 12:41 PM, EagleGuard wrote: The new user page looks great! Only suggestion I have right now would be to implement the option to add/remove sections (such as medals).

This update includes groundwork for that so we expect to address it!

Also, small bug: if you have audio submissions at the top of the user page and edit your profile, the play icons appear on top of the background color selection tool when you hover over them (at least on Chrome).

Will look into this one!

BBS Signature

Response to New User Pages & Updates! 2018-04-18 12:43:15

Awesome work all around! The new layout doesn't seem to apply to all pages as of right now though.

Response to New User Pages & Updates! 2018-04-18 12:48:17

At 4/18/18 12:43 PM, just2pale wrote: Awesome work all around! The new layout doesn't seem to apply to all pages as of right now though.

The new layout only applies to pages that were already updated to be mobile-friendly. We have a big list of pages to complete still but we're getting closer and closer!

BBS Signature

Response to New User Pages & Updates! 2018-04-18 12:48:39

This is really cool, I love the look of it and it's really rad that you can change a bunch of the colors!
Like I might have said before I am a sucker for this kind of stuff.

Great job!

Response to New User Pages & Updates! 2018-04-18 12:53:06

Made a forum post with a tutorial on how to make custom color edits and suggest them to be added to the swatches https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1431427

Response to New User Pages & Updates! 2018-04-18 13:04:49

Huzzahz all around, w0000p! ^___^

Wakka wakka

Response to New User Pages & Updates! 2018-04-18 13:07:31

At 4/18/18 01:04 PM, Rucklo wrote: Huzzahz all around, w0000p! ^___^

Fortunately I can translate Swedish to American. He said:

"This shit is lit, ya'llllllll (-________-)"

Sig by BlueHippo / User Icon by CosmicDeath.

BBS Signature

Response to New User Pages & Updates! 2018-04-18 13:14:55

AHHH IT LOOKS SO SLICK AND NICE

When's the ETA on getting it on other pages, such as this forum?

Click the Squid -> 🦑