00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Jmurr12 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Construct 3 Game Jam Winners!

7,689 Views | 45 Replies
Respond to this Topic

The winners of our Construct 3 Game Jam have been determined, thank you everyone who participated! Scirra has upped the awards to include five one year subscriptions instead of three, so the top five will all be receiving a free one year subscription to Construct 3!

The theme of this jam was, "You are not the main character."

1st Place - 1st Place: Year's sub for C3, pig badge and sweet hamper

Kristov Colin is a pirate adventure that can take a minute to figure out but is a satisfying and delightful journey when you get the hang of working the ship.

2nd Place: Year's sub for C3, pig badge

Trapped with a Shadow is a cool twist on a traditional sliding puzzle mechanic and the addition of a rewind key really helps you focus on solving each challenge.

3rd Place: Year's sub for C3, pig badge

Madam De'Monica's Villain Academy has a great premise and intriguing characters. We'd love to see it expanded into a larger game.

4th Place: Year's sub for C3, pig badge

Dark Tower is a charming game where you play the role of a trusty sidekick who doesn't get much appreciation in the end. The commentary from sir McDandelion is amusing throughout.

5th Place: Year's sub for C3, Pig badge

Sidekick Adventure has you play as the sidekick to a hero as he runs and jumps his way to victory. The graphics are great and it's a good example of what you can make with the free version of C3.

6th Place: Pencils and pig badge

Deluded Hero has great atmosphere, art and animation. The boss is hard and without checkpoints it becomes time consuming to re-fight him. Overall a lot of cool elements and I'm looking forward to more from @Yipcks!

7th-10th Place: Pig badge

NPC is a very promising concept with good graphics but ultimately feels a bit too unfinished. I will note, if you behave like a good NPC, you get a rather nondescript ending; try being naughty and you'll realize the game is bigger than you thought. There's great potential here.

DragonKite has a single-press mechanic that's familiar but still kinda fresh in the context of an arcing dragon. I could see this being competitive with high scores or on-line multiplayer.

Annotation of Love presents you with three mini games expressing various stages of a relationship. It's charming and the original Czech songs are a nice touch.

Stop Player 1 is a funny concept that has real potential. You know those platformers like I Wanna Be the Guy where the level kills you in surprising ways? This puts you in control of the level. You'll need to test random keyboard keys and ultimately it's limited but I can imagine a ridiculous version of this where you click around various parts of a scrolling level to make weird things happen. This entry needs a lot of work but we wanted to give it props for a fun idea.

Other Entries

Blinky & his 3 friends is a good exploration on how the other half lives in a game of Pac Man.

The Production was a bit confusing at first but it's a clever concept where you're like the gremlin inside the TV making the video game work, cleaning up used obstacles and putting the player back on the stage when he dies.

Click to Save the Day essentially puts you in the role of running support for a Geometry Dash player. I was actually on my third play before I realized I didn't make the player jump. GD fans will get a kick out of this!

SFB is like if Mario were on auto-pilot and you had to get him through the level without dying. It's hard but a solid concept overall.

Rock Paper Scissors EXTREME is a good game of Rock Paper Scissors and tracking up to nine players is a nice addition.

Co-Bunch is a gallery of interesting people, give them a swipe!

Sim Uber is like a lo-fi Crazy Taxi. Has potential to be built upon with more fun and exciting things happening around town.

Some of the games in this jam tackled the theme better than others but Aedes Destroy seems to ignore the theme completely. It's a quality mosquito clicker though.

Final Thoughts

Thank you again to everyone who participated! So many ideas from this jam are worth exploring further and I hope we get the pleasure of seeing your ideas continue to evolve.

I noticed a few games had jittery HUDs. For stationary elements such as a health bar, place them in their own layer and under Layer Properties, set Parallax to 0% x 0%. This may have been difficult with the layer limitations in the free version of C3. There might be other ways to do this well but I'm going from my own experience.

I updated the Author Comments on a few games to include keyboard controls. It's good to have a constant reference in the page, since players tend to gloss over intro instructions. Some games didn't make reference at all to what keys to use, which can send players hunting around on their keyboard.

Construct 3 is bleeding edge web tech and just announced the release of their new run-time alpha, resulting in even better game performance! I'm super excited for the future of C3.

Other Announcements

Animators: @SnackerBoy is organizing a Bartman Re-Animate Collab and @SirLenward is putting together a Rawest Forest Re-Animate Collab!

Monster Mashing is hosting a new bounty! The first 3 players to pass 100,000 on the leaderboard will receive one year of supporter status courtesy of @BrandyBuizel. Be sure to play on the Flash version of the game or it won't count.

@Jazza is ending his monthly art challenge but plans to do larger, less frequent art competitions. To be notified when these events are happening, sign up for his event notification list.

Two days remain to enter our Minit Arc Contest!

There are BIG BIG things slated for this week on NG so be sure to check in over the coming days.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam Winners! 2018-04-16 12:29:58

Congrats to the winners!

I really don't know what to put on here.

Congratulations to all other winners and thank you Tom and Scirra for making this happen!

This was my first themed jam and I had tons of fun and learned to love Construct3 even more (it's an incredible piece of software and so much fun to use). Hope there will be more jams in the future (with or without prizes)!

Cheers!

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam Winners! 2018-04-16 13:37:37

Congrats to the Jam winners!!

Both tempting reanimates.. part of me still has the urge to draw Bart more so I may look into that one, also want to try a shot on SMRPG for homages sake.

We’re halfway through April and I’m hoping to hype up those summer jams, I was talking with some guys from TOFA days and they had a cool recruitment trailer for it, could be cool to whip something up.

Also as a insignificant aside, I noticed mobile skins don’t update to the layouts but it’s such a small thing but probably isn’t worth mentioning. Just another thing to drive you up the wall at night

Congrats to all the winners! I was gonna do a game last minute but was busy on that last weekend lol. However I got a decent prototype so I might do a full version on my own time sometime this year!

At 4/16/18 12:01 PM, TomFulp wrote: Monster Mashing is hosting a new bounty! Be sure to play on the Flash version of the game or it won't count.

Oof that reminds me I still need to get the newgrounds.io api going with the HTML5 versions, it's pretty much 90% working but there's just a few kinks I gotta work out

There are BIG BIG things slated for this week on NG so be sure to check in over the coming days.

MMMM EXCITING

sicko mode

BBS Signature

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam Winners! 2018-04-16 13:40:37

So many cool ideas with these games! Congrats to the winners.

And hyped about those big things coming up.

The latest: Hexa #95 (Mar)

BBS Signature

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam Winners! 2018-04-16 13:43:04

GOOD JOB MONSTER MASH BOYS, YOU SICKENING DEGENERATES (jk)

But for real, I really like the free supporter giveaway concept; would be cool to visit more rewards like that.

I'd love to see everything game-ified in the future honestly; cross game unlocks, exclusive ranks/titles, etc.

At 4/16/18 01:43 PM, Tyler wrote: GOOD JOB MONSTER MASH BOYS, YOU SICKENING DEGENERATES (jk)

Thank you we try our best to keep things classy around here

I'd love to see everything game-ified in the future honestly; cross game unlocks, exclusive ranks/titles, etc.

Also this stuff would be really cool

sicko mode

BBS Signature

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam Winners! 2018-04-16 14:09:17

Thanks Tom! Thanks Scirra & Newgrounds :-)

Last year second, this year first. We made it better! :-)
Construct 3 is awesome! Another year of free license that'll be so useful for us ;)!

Congratulation to all others winners and participants (hoodloc, your level design is excellent)

It's true, our game is a little short. We'll make the game a little longer very soon. Yes captain!

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam Winners! 2018-04-16 14:35:33

At 4/16/18 01:37 PM, IvanAlmighty wrote:
Both tempting reanimates.. part of me still has the urge to draw Bart more so I may look into that one, also want to try a shot on SMRPG for homages sake.

Embrace the Bart Ivan. He's calling to you. ''C'mon Ivan... do the Bartman.. do it for me will you..?''

Come on down to Fulpstation, baby

BBS Signature

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam Winners! 2018-04-16 14:40:40

Congrats to the winners of Construct 3 Game Jam.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam Winners! 2018-04-16 14:48:47

At 4/16/18 01:38 PM, ninjamuffin99 wrote:
At 4/16/18 12:01 PM, TomFulp wrote:
MMMM EXCITING

Lick your lips and open wide, Cam

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam Winners! 2018-04-16 15:09:02

At 4/16/18 02:48 PM, IvanAlmighty wrote:
At 4/16/18 01:38 PM, ninjamuffin99 wrote:
At 4/16/18 12:01 PM, TomFulp wrote:
MMMM EXCITING
Lick your lips and open wide, Cam

I bet its Castle Crashers 2

sicko mode

BBS Signature

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam Winners! 2018-04-16 15:13:03

At 4/16/18 03:09 PM, ninjamuffin99 wrote: I bet its Castle Crashers 2

That would be amazing. People have been looking forward to that happening already.

BBS Signature

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam Winners! 2018-04-16 15:21:01

At 4/16/18 02:35 PM, SnackerBoy wrote:
Embrace the Bart Ivan. He's calling to you. ''C'mon Ivan... do the Bartman.. do it for me will you..?''

PM me what scenes you have left and I'll take a look

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam Winners! 2018-04-16 15:47:38

At 4/16/18 03:21 PM, IvanAlmighty wrote:
At 4/16/18 02:35 PM, SnackerBoy wrote:
PM me what scenes you have left and I'll take a look

Hooked a big fish ;)

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam Winners! 2018-04-16 15:50:31

At 4/16/18 01:43 PM, Tyler wrote: GOOD JOB MONSTER MASH BOYS, YOU SICKENING DEGENERATES (jk)

But for real, I really like the free supporter giveaway concept; would be cool to visit more rewards like that.

What can I say? I love NG
I'm trying to peddle a lot of things like what you're describing with other creators on the platform, I hope it spreads!

BTW I didn't know you already left working at the office when I popped in for a visit in March; gonna DM you with a present.

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam Winners! 2018-04-16 16:56:42

At 4/16/18 01:37 PM, IvanAlmighty wrote: Both tempting reanimates.. part of me still has the urge to draw Bart more so I may look into that one, also want to try a shot on SMRPG for homages sake.

I'd love to see a big collab to New-Animate an original story audio track by writers, voice actors, musicians and sound artists in the community!

We’re halfway through April and I’m hoping to hype up those summer jams, I was talking with some guys from TOFA days and they had a cool recruitment trailer for it, could be cool to whip something up.

A summer jam bumper would be fun.

Also as a insignificant aside, I noticed mobile skins don’t update to the layouts but it’s such a small thing but probably isn’t worth mentioning. Just another thing to drive you up the wall at night

Haven't been sweating over the mobile skin because it's going away with the mobile header update!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam Winners! 2018-04-16 19:36:00

Oh. So that's why there were a lot of games made in construct these days. I didn't know.

Congrats to all winners!

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam Winners! 2018-04-16 22:26:30

At 4/16/18 07:36 PM, Kariky wrote: Oh. So that's why there were a lot of games made in construct these days. I didn't know.

Better to find out late, than never. It was a great competition.

Congrats to all winners!

The winners worked really hard to pull out the victory.

BBS Signature

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam Winners! 2018-04-16 23:10:39

Congratulations to all !

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock-n-roll." Shigeru Miyamoto

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam Winners! 2018-04-16 23:21:07

Woooow! I didn't expect to win a license! :D I'm sooo happy! Thanks a lot Newgrounds and Scirra. With the full C3 I'll be able to expand and improve the game. Thanks again and congratulations to all the winners and participants.

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam Winners! 2018-04-16 23:51:08

Congratulations to the winners!

At 4/16/18 12:01 PM, TomFulp wrote: Monster Mashing is hosting a new bounty! The first 3 players to pass 100,000 on the leaderboard will receive one year of supporter status courtesy of @BrandyBuizel. Be sure to play on the Flash version of the game or it won't count.

I win!

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam Winners! 2018-04-17 00:28:56

At 4/16/18 11:51 PM, OneThousandMeeps wrote: Congratulations to the winners!
At 4/16/18 12:01 PM, TomFulp wrote: Monster Mashing is hosting a new bounty! The first 3 players to pass 100,000 on the leaderboard will receive one year of supporter status courtesy of @BrandyBuizel. Be sure to play on the Flash version of the game or it won't count.
I win!

I mean honestly, you maniacs can't even leave a single bounty I put up unclaimed for a full day; I love that about you all.
Still two more chances to win a YEAR OF SUPPORTER STATUS

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam Winners! 2018-04-17 00:49:07

Hey huh...

What can I do with these "Pencils and pig badge"?

Congrats to all winners btw!

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam Winners! 2018-04-17 02:44:06

Congrats to the winners!!

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam Winners! 2018-04-17 02:59:20

At 4/16/18 11:21 PM, nax89 wrote: Woooow! I didn't expect to win a license! :D I'm sooo happy! Thanks a lot Newgrounds and Scirra. With the full C3 I'll be able to expand and improve the game. Thanks again and congratulations to all the winners and participants.

Enjoy your license, you earned it. Looking forward to your next great animation.

BBS Signature

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam Winners! 2018-04-17 04:42:07

At 4/16/18 01:43 PM, Tyler wrote: I'd love to see everything game-ified in the future honestly; cross game unlocks, exclusive ranks/titles, etc.

Yeah same here. All these things really get the community going too.

At 4/16/18 11:51 PM, OneThousandMeeps wrote: I win!

Massive work! :D Congrats!

The latest: Hexa #95 (Mar)

BBS Signature

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam Winners! 2018-04-17 04:52:20

Congrats to the winners! Going to check few entries I've missed right now.

Response to Construct 3 Game Jam Winners! 2018-04-18 02:01:43

76PA77TU2Z5HUSprungAt 4/17/18 04:52 AM, Wolod wrote:

Congrats to the winners and amazing wonderful people in this crazy weird world . You all are great

Https://PayPal.Me/DSchooley13PayPal.Me/DSchooley13

Downtree77@outlook.com

Danny Schooley FB