00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Pit People Art Contest Winners!

12,907 Views | 23 Replies
Respond to this Topic

The winners of our Pit People Art contest have been decided!

I have to say, this was really difficult to choose. Everything was great and had a lot of effort put in. I felt it was only fair to have some honorable mentions to go along with the post. The rules were 10 winners only and we got around five times that to choose from.

These winners are not in any particular order. Let’s see them!

So we’ve seen this piece by Rhunyc floating around and the almost-real look going on with his features both haunt and intrigue me. He’s also in space, so there’s that. How’s he breathing up there anyway? I’m no scientist, but..

There’s something really cool about this piece by ExCharny. Beyond the rendering and the motion that gets conveyed very masterfully, it gives me the sense of a whole brand that I could walk into a store and get things for. Horatio’s mustache has that extra thick kick to it and his shield looks like it’s had more than enough. Pipistrella has a flail mace which is just amazing and her hair almost looks like it has power coursing through.

Sevi-NG has done something I’ve always thought was fun. This is a Wraith from Pit People, which might not be immediately obvious since it’s been re-imagined completely. I love the idea of how pensive they could have looked in an alternate universe right before that face opens up…

This one by Jobertson caught a lot of eyes, I think, with the awesome lighting and coloring going on. Whimsical and disturbing all at once. Loving some of the smaller details like the chubby Speckled Horse and the caged Hair Troll, too.

While we got permission to use the “This is fine” dog as an unlockable in Pit People, I love that constipatednugget refrained from using the obvious and went for the deeper meaning here. Kobolds are resistant to fire and this is a great way to illustrate it. Don’t let your memes be dreams.

I had to go with this one because it sort of shocked my mind into imagining Pit People as an actual, tangible reality. It’s disturbing to look upon this Speckled Horse because I have to regard it as living in my own universe. I also like to imagine the Speckled Horse being this calm about having all that stuff strapped to them. No big deal. Thanks, SevenSeize!

There’s so much going on here in this piece from julperezeoe! Obviously the big elements like the bear and the Helmetites are cool, but when you start getting down there and seeing that amazing Gorgon hairstyle and freaked out Gnome it gets even better. Bonus points for the Kobold riding the Mushroom!

An explosion of poison with the ol’ thumbs up. I like the monochromatic stuff going on in here with the angle. It looks like it could make a cool poster on the wall. Thanks professorclockwork!

This one just struck me as odd. Of course, in the art world, that’s a good thing! I won’t be forgetting some of these character renditions for a long time. Lots of intense texture work on the Gorgon, and Pipistrella looks like she could have fit into the universe of “Braid”. Sofia is triumphant as usual and the subtle bear in space looks pretty disappointed in them all. Keep it weird, legolass!

Forum Entry by Peglay

Really liking the energy of this one which is clearly a parody of the classic Star Wars poster. The expression on the bear is wonderful and the whole thing almost reminds me of an alternate universe where Don Bluth was in charge of Star Wars which was an animated series instead. Good touch on an army of Speckled Horses taking place of the imperial army. Good work, Peglay!

Honorable Mentions

There’s some great movement and energy in here in this piece by hlongtitan. It’s almost like a Samurai Jack edition of Pit People. I love how unaffected both of our heroes seem by being clearly wounded. Must be that adrenaline going on. Good throwback there, Yosef!

I love this take on Horatio’s gigantic hair and it seems like he’s been lifting some serious farming equipment for that blueberry farming lately. This is only disturbing if you let it be disturbing, I guess. Thanks Sevi-NG! You guys might recognize Sevi’s name from the Wraith mask winning piece.

Sofia is so charming in this one by gel9. So pleasant. She almost seems like she’d simply let us join without any nets or cages involved, which seems more pleasant than the usual recruiting process.

Cartooncoffee captures a nice moment in the piece “Before the incident” which is aptly named. Father and son just having a blast farming all those absolutely delicious blueberries. Hansel might just like stuff other than ice cream after all!

JackVitae submitted this one, adding wings to Helmitor. He’d certainly be a lot more imposing with the ability to fly, as well as majestic. No longer needing a space shuttle is a dream of Helmitor’s.

This one by superjeffoman is really fun. I want to tune into a series and watch what happens in this wild version, but I can’t, so I won’t. Still loving those bendy appendages and bright colors!

Wolod made a fun pixel version of a unique fighter. Perhaps this king is not a king quite like Papastrella, but, still a king in our hearts.

Okay this is weird even by Pit People standards and I love it. It’s almost like a punk rock promo piece. Jackdcurleo has made a creature I never want to face in any scenario - especially in a hallway. You know how many hexes are in a hallway? Not that many! I do appreciate the message left for the heroes to make it even more insulting an experience.

This one by troxath is almost like if Madcat from Inspector Gadget (Yeah I know it’s an old reference I am 900 years old) was scaled way, way up. Everybody has a fun look to them and I sort of love how Horatio seems so overwhelmed it hasn’t really hit him yet.

Here’s one by Pegasu that seems playful and stylish. Have some teeny tiny iced creams, I know you love them. There’s a great texture we get from the offset colors. Well done!

Another fresh look for PIt People coming from alixbalica. It’s a fun take, and it’s great to see that much paw pad - but then there’s those really sharp kitty claws I don’t want to get anywhere near!

There are a lot more wonderful entries, that you can see here. Again, thank you everyone so much for participating! This was really fun to look through. All the renditions are awesome and I’m always a fan of fresh takes!

-Dan

Check out the previous NG news post!

Pit People Art Contest Winners!

Congrats to all the winners!
I'll definitely dig through all the submissions and be following some new people!

sicko mode

BBS Signature

Response to Pit People Art Contest Winners! 2018-03-30 14:45:50

At 3/30/18 02:07 PM, DanPaladin wrote: I had to go with this one because it sort of shocked my mind into imagining Pit People as an actual, tangible reality. It’s disturbing to look upon this Speckled Horse because I have to regard it as living in my own universe. I also like to imagine the Speckled Horse being this calm about having all that stuff strapped to them. No big deal. Thanks, SevenSeize!

Thank you! This was my intent with my entry, exactly! I am so excited!!!!!!!!!!!

It was a fun contest!

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to Pit People Art Contest Winners! 2018-03-30 15:08:23

Thank you!
So many great entries here :D

Response to Pit People Art Contest Winners! 2018-03-30 15:36:32

Congrats! Nice drawings as well

Response to Pit People Art Contest Winners! 2018-03-30 16:34:02

Amazing art from the community! This was a blast to compete in and I can’t wait for the next one! Thank you!

Response to Pit People Art Contest Winners! 2018-03-30 16:34:07

Congrats to the winners! Hope everyone brings awesome art submission for next contest.

Response to Pit People Art Contest Winners! 2018-03-30 17:15:41

Congrats to all the winners! Very good submissions.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Pit People Art Contest Winners! 2018-03-30 18:11:21

Congrats to the winners!, It's pretty entertaining to see so many takes on the game's style; now I'll just get back into it :)

BBS Signature

Response to Pit People Art Contest Winners! 2018-03-30 19:30:34

Thank you so much for this! Ah man, this really made my day.

Response to Pit People Art Contest Winners! 2018-03-30 19:40:27

Congrats to all the winners, all very well earned!

Response to Pit People Art Contest Winners! 2018-03-30 22:09:08

At 3/30/18 02:45 PM, SevenSeize wrote: Thank you! This was my intent with my entry, exactly! I am so excited!!!!!!!!!!!

It was a fun contest!

OMG Congrats lady!! I love how your sketches elicit strong moods. I dunno how you do it!

¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ♡ ¥

¥ ♡ ¥ Sig pic by Pingu ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature

Response to Pit People Art Contest Winners! 2018-03-30 22:23:00

Wow! Thanks Dan! I appreciate it. :)

I'm SO STOKED to play this game!!

Congrats everyone! :D

"People could care less about you, what people really care about though, is the image of you. The idea of you."

Response to Pit People Art Contest Winners! 2018-03-30 22:26:21

At 3/30/18 10:09 PM, Malachy wrote:
At 3/30/18 02:45 PM, SevenSeize wrote: Thank you! This was my intent with my entry, exactly! I am so excited!!!!!!!!!!!

It was a fun contest!
OMG Congrats lady!! I love how your sketches elicit strong moods. I dunno how you do it!

Thank you! I dunno if you are playing/have played Pit People, but it's fabulous.

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to Pit People Art Contest Winners! 2018-03-31 00:51:25

I feel that somebody should hold a contest for games/art/whatever but never end it so people just endlessly make content like this, contests like Ludum Dare and these art ones bring really good stuff and it'd be cool to see stuff like that all year.

Of course that's probably infeasible because people would catch on after a week or so, Or with the innitial announcement when there's no stated deadline.

Response to Pit People Art Contest Winners! 2018-03-31 05:38:51

Congrats to winners! So much amazing drawings were uploaded this time. Good job everyone!

Response to Pit People Art Contest Winners! 2018-03-31 06:42:12

At 3/31/18 12:51 AM, ManielTheDaniel wrote: I feel that somebody should hold a contest for games/art/whatever but never end it so people just endlessly make content like this, contests like Ludum Dare and these art ones bring really good stuff and it'd be cool to see stuff like that all year.

Of course that's probably infeasible because people would catch on after a week or so, Or with the innitial announcement when there's no stated deadline.

I want to get back in a regular habit with game fan art contests, like we have in the past. I was meaning to launch an Iconoclasts art contest after Pixel Day, might revisit that one.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Pit People Art Contest Winners! 2018-03-31 08:10:48

congrats to all the winners and thumbs up to everyone who took part!

Thanks!

Now I can play pit people!

*never played it before so all my knowledge came from Google search*

BBS Signature

Response to Pit People Art Contest Winners! 2018-03-31 09:07:02

Don't think I've seen a post in the news forum by anyone but Tom for years now! :D Cool to see that pattern broken!

And Congrats to the winners! Some awesome entries they turned out to be; some of the runner-up's too.

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Pit People Art Contest Winners! 2018-03-31 12:31:26

At 3/30/18 10:23 PM, Rhunyc wrote: Wow! Thanks Dan! I appreciate it. :)

I'm SO STOKED to play this game!!

Congrats everyone! :D

Update:

I've played 3 hours of it last night and this morning, and I *love* it (I knew I would). It's so magical. I wish I had played it before the contest because there are so many opportunities for fun art. :D I may have to do another fun Pit People work. :D

"People could care less about you, what people really care about though, is the image of you. The idea of you."

Response to Pit People Art Contest Winners! 2018-03-31 20:27:05

So many amazing pieces of art!
They deserve some teeny tiny iced creams, I know they love them

Response to Pit People Art Contest Winners! 2018-04-01 02:29:45

All wonderful entries! Thanks for the awesome opportunities, games, and art. Keep up the amazing work <3
We appreciate you.

Response to Pit People Art Contest Winners! 2018-04-01 23:38:01

Solid choices; no steam code for me, but I bought the game anyway lol. Congratulations to all of the winners; I was definitely ready to get smoked.

Response to Pit People Art Contest Winners! 2018-04-02 14:43:11

At 3/31/18 09:07 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: Don't think I've seen a post in the news forum by anyone but Tom for years now! :D Cool to see that pattern broken!

I know what you mean, but it is great to see others make them as well.

And Congrats to the winners! Some awesome entries they turned out to be; some of the runner-up's too.

A great crop of flashes for this contest. They seem to get better as better as time goes on.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature