00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ParallaxDraw just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

FarCry 5 2018-03-29 10:18:59

I accidentally posted this on the general forum, shit.

I got it a few days ago. Its OK. The combat and driving are awesome. Throwing and hitting people with melee weapons is sweet. One thing though, the looting isnt executed very well and there are few weapons ingame.

Wanna help me steal a giraffe?

Response to FarCry 5 2018-03-29 19:56:12

At 3/29/18 05:54 PM, TheQuietGamer wrote: The only Far Cry game I've played is Blood Dragon. I feel that I witnessed the series at it's peak.

far cry? More like FART GUY.

Anyway, I've been meaning to try blood dragon. I've been wary of the whole far cry series since it's ubisoft, but I've heard blood dragon makes a miami connection reference.

Response to FarCry 5 2018-03-29 20:06:01

Inb4 same game bullshit.

That aside, I’ll check it out when I get the chance, preferably when there is a price drop. Would be interesting if they have something to say about religious cults in America’s flyover country, but I’m hedging my bets on that.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to FarCry 5 2018-03-29 20:58:14 (edited 2018-03-29 21:03:55)

Definitely won't get it myself, I've heard that it has the typical micro-transaction bullshit and I've been trying to avoid games with that.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, since it's Ubisoft.

Response to FarCry 5 2018-03-30 19:11:22

Marked out super hard when a character started doing this almost word for word:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na4GYyJwYjQ

At 3/29/18 08:58 PM, ManielTheDaniel wrote: Definitely won't get it myself, I've heard that it has the typical micro-transaction bullshit and I've been trying to avoid games with that.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, since it's Ubisoft.

There's alternate skins for guns you can buy with real money, or a lot of in game cash (most skins are about $500, these are about $5000-$10,000) but they all look fucking rotten and the actual guns can only be bought win the in game currency. Cosmetic clothing items for you character too with the same deal, most only available with in game money, a few which are expensive or real money, but it's an FPS so honestly what's the point anyway? You never see it.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to FarCry 5 2018-03-30 19:15:33

At 3/30/18 07:11 PM, Absurd-Ditties wrote: There's alternate skins for guns you can buy with real money-

Yep, definitely not getting it now, thanks for the confirmation.

Response to FarCry 5 2018-03-30 19:17:32

At 3/30/18 07:15 PM, ManielTheDaniel wrote:
At 3/30/18 07:11 PM, Absurd-Ditties wrote: There's alternate skins for guns you can buy with real money-

Seems an odd hill to die on but if not having a neon American flag on your gun is a real dealbreaker then sure I guess.

BBS Signature

Response to FarCry 5 2018-03-30 19:28:55

At 3/30/18 07:17 PM, Absurd-Ditties wrote: Seems an odd hill to die on but if not having a neon American flag on your gun is a real dealbreaker then sure I guess.

I don't know what you're assuming here.

The "dealbreaker" is the use of Micro-transactions, plain and simple.

I don't care how they're implemented, I simply don't like them.

Response to FarCry 5 2018-03-31 09:07:20

At 3/30/18 07:28 PM, ManielTheDaniel wrote:
At 3/30/18 07:17 PM, Absurd-Ditties wrote: Seems an odd hill to die on but if not having a neon American flag on your gun is a real dealbreaker then sure I guess.
I don't know what you're assuming here.

The "dealbreaker" is the use of Micro-transactions, plain and simple.

I don't care how they're implemented, I simply don't like them.

So wait a minute, you refuse to play a game because there are purely cosmetic (which you can get in-game as well) microtransactions skins? I would be with you if it were actually pay-to-win a la Star Wars Battlefront 2, but something that is purely cosmetic in nature that is not required for advancement in gameplay, and something you can easily get with in-game currency?

Honestly, that might just be one of the questionable reasons for someone not to play a game.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to FarCry 5 2018-03-31 11:32:46

At 3/31/18 09:07 AM, orangebomb wrote: So wait a minute, you refuse to play a game because there are purely cosmetic (which you can get in-game as well) microtransactions skins?

Yes, I'm absolutely sick of it, it's scummy and only for the benefit of the companies.

I would be with you if it were actually pay-to-win a la Star Wars Battlefront 2, but something that is purely cosmetic in nature that is not required for advancement in gameplay, and something you can easily get with in-game currency?

Battlefront 2 was a grindy mess without the microtransactions, I have no reason to not believe that they did the same with this game.

Honestly, that might just be one of the questionable reasons for someone not to play a game.

That's fair.

Response to FarCry 5 2018-03-31 13:59:40

Yes, I'm absolutely sick of it, it's scummy and only for the benefit of the companies.

Yeah me too. Like wtf i just paid $60 for this

Wanna help me steal a giraffe?

Response to FarCry 5 2018-04-01 19:54:53

Right, I've more or less 100%ed it now. All missions, all side quests, all outposts, all collectables, all cult property destroyed.

Here's some thoughts after my 30 or so hours with it.

Pros:
- Humour hits more than it misses. Had me laughing out loud in multiple places.
- Mechanically sound. Guns feel great to shoot, vehicles feel great to drive and the stealth is basic but functional.
- Fast travel and exploration vastly improved from predecessors without all those fucking radio towers to climb.
- Very open, can do whatever you want right from the start.
- Great performances all round from the cast, especially the 4 main villains.
- Plenty of mission variety, and few of the repetitive tasks outstay their welcome. Some of the previous games became a slog of outpost after outpost but this feels like it has just about the right amount to stop you getting bored of them.
- Cluch Nixon's theme song.
- There's a mission based entirely around Alex Jones jokes.

Cons:
- Companions are underdeveloped, both mechanically and as characters. You get a one mission intro to them to establish them, and that's it. They're reduced to repeating the same lines of dialogue over and over and generally walking into the line of fire, stepping in front of vehicles and generally being pretty useless. Except Boomer, who's ability to mark every nearby enemy automatically is so gamebreakingly fantastic there's no reason to ever use anyone else.
- The tone between story missions and side quests is so wildly different as to feel like completely different games. The story missions are ultra grim with genuinely dangerous antagonists and depressing outcomes, while the side quests are all desperately trying to be GTA-style parodies without any of the wit of Rockstar's writing and just come off as juvenile. They're still fun, but it's a very dopey kind of fun.
- Limited gun variety. About 3-4 to choose from in each category, with little variation between them anyway.
- Silent protagonist is lame, would have been better off with a voiced character.
- Having your character be abducted and escape from the baddies every time you complete a set number of missions is dumb both narratively and mechanically. It's a constant interruption that forces a relatively long, very scripted mission on you when the game otherwise thrives on freedom and non-linearity.

BBS Signature

Response to FarCry 5 2018-04-17 00:40:20

At 4/17/18 12:25 AM, SirWaffleThe3rd wrote:
At 3/30/18 07:15 PM, ManielTheDaniel wrote:
You can also buy them with in game money. I personally feel like as long as micro-transactions are fine, as long as they are purely cosmetic. Far Cry 5 has no micro-transactions that effect actual game-play.

That's fine.

I just dislike the use of them because I feel that I should get all the content that was finished and put in the game on release, instead of having them behind a paywall.

Though this point is useless since it's still obtainable in-game, though I wonder if it's a bit of a chore to get them that way.

It's more that I feel that if we tolerate it in any form we're just going to get another Battlefront II situation.

Of course you shouldn't let me change how you view a game or it's systems, I can't force you to like or dislike things.
That'd be impossible.

Or at least highly illegal.

Response to FarCry 5 2018-04-25 03:18:49

At 3/29/18 05:54 PM, TheQuietGamer wrote: The only Far Cry game I've played is Blood Dragon. I feel that I witnessed the series at it's peak.

Far Cry 3 was the peak of the series if you ask me. Give it a shot. Blood Dragon wasn't even a part of the main series and is actually an expansion pack for Far Cry 3.

It's all shits and giggles until someone giggles and shits.

BBS Signature