00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpeakyDooman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Naean's Art & Design Topic

14,631 Views | 129 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

MentumAuris Feline Hybrid.

Bramblewood A5 Notebook - Page 36

There are quite a large range of inspirations behind this piece!

One of the biggest inspirations behind this piece was the fact that my previous animal-based piece, called "Friendly Fins.", turned out much better than I had anticipated. As a result of that, I was eager to try drawing another animal-based piece.

Another large inspiration behind this piece, and the starting point for it, was to draw a cat body, as they are one of my favourite animals. One of my family member's cats, who had black and white markings, and is sadly no longer alive, was lying down on my lap for a significant amount of time while I was drawing this. As such, this drawing has quite a bit of sentimental value to me.

As the drawing progressed, I incorporated visuals inspired by various other sources...

The size and styling of the spikes on top of the head are inspired by spikes on top of the Zomom character's head, from the Sonic Lost World video games.

The eyebrows and fur tuft on top of the head are inspired by the eyebrows and fur tuft on top of the Crash Bandicoot character's head.

The fur curls at both sides of the head are inspired by curls at both sides of the Classic Miles "Tails" Prower character's head.

The muzzle area is inspired by the muzzle area of the Sonic The Hedgehog character's head.

The size of the ears, the ears' inner fur tuft, and the spacing between the ears, are inspired by the ears of the Braixen character from the Pokémon series.

The outer tufts of fur on the bottom tips of the ears are inspired by the ear tufts of the Sticks The Badger character from the Sonic The Hedgehog series.

The tuft of fur on the bottom of the head, inbetween the ears, is inspired by goatee style beards.

The accented tip of the tail is inspired by the tips of tails seen on foxes.

The fur patterns themselves are inspired by those seen on black and white cats, however the smoothness of those patterns are inspired by markings seen on cows.

Mentum is the Latin word for chin. Auris is the Latin word for ear.

DeviantArtPatreonRedbubbleTumblrTwitter

BBS Signature

Response to Naean's Art & Design Topic 2018-06-01 12:42:42

Gloopincerig.

Bramblewood A5 Notebook - Page 37

The pincer is inspired by the pincer on the front of house robot Dead Metal from the Robot Wars television shows.

The gloop is inspired by gooey elements of the Goodra character from the Pokémon series.

The satellite dish styled element is inspired by some similar elements from one of my previous pieces, called "Aquatic Architecture.".

The name Gloopincerig is a portmanteau of three words: gloop, pincer, rig. These words represent the main items in this piece, with the word rig referring to the overall mechanical structure.

BBS Signature

Response to Naean's Art & Design Topic 2018-06-05 23:22:36

Cryptic cracks and curls.

Bramblewood A5 Notebook - Page 38

Some elements of this piece are inspired by one of my previous pieces, called "Abstract Combinations.".

BBS Signature

Response to Naean's Art & Design Topic 2018-06-09 05:28:25

The Rusty Ruins Of Richard Jacques

A drawing that I have done on an individual A4 sheet.

I drew this piece while listening to this YouTube video on loop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXubvSgn-KA.

Most of the elements in this drawing are inspired by Rusty Ruin Zone levels from the Sonic 3D Blast: Flickies' Island video game. (Specifically the SEGA Saturn iteration.)

The lamp post is inspired by lamp posts in White Park Zone levels from the Sonic The Hedgehog 4: Episode II video game.

BIC blue médium biro pen on regular paper.

BBS Signature

Response to Naean's Art & Design Topic 2018-06-10 19:07:09

Ill Conceived Illustration.

While I was feeling a bit under the weather, I wanted to distract myself by drawing, so I created this concoction, and titled it accordingly. :-3

BIC black médium biro pen on regular paper.

BBS Signature

Rustic Tribal Cyclops Insignia

This is my first attempt at creating some kind of art piece entirely digitally. It took me approximately 45 to 60 minutes to create most of it, and I made some minor adjustments afterwards.

I have wanted to try my hand at doing digital art for at least a year, but I put it off several times. This is partially because I'm primarily comfortable with doing paper-based drawings, but also due to me simply lacking confidence that I would ever pull off a digital art piece that I am satisfied with...

... As it happens, I am in fact much more happy with this piece than I expected to be. It turned out looking a lot nicer than I had anticipated. With this being my first proper go at digital art, a lot of the creation process involved experimentation, and exploring how different brushes look amongst one another within the same canvas.

Overall, I am fairly satisfied with the finished piece. I am glad that I took a plunge outside of my comfort zone, and as a result of this piece's outcome, I now look forward to doing more digital art endeavours in the future! :-D

The pink highlights around the edges of the eye's white area, are inspired by pink areas in eyes of the Primarina character from the Pokémon series.

Created in Serif DrawPlus X6 using various brushes, some transparency styles, a couple of altered QuickShapes, and a couple of Filter Effects. Brush strokes drawn entirely using a Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 1000.

BBS Signature

Aquatic Splatter Splash

This is my second attempt at creating some kind of art piece entirely digitally.

I'm still getting used to using digital mediums and editing techniques. A lot of exploring and experimenting of different effects, patterns, brush styles and such went into this piece.

Unlike my previous digital art piece, I wanted this one to take up the full space of the canvas. I wasn't too bothered by "Rustic Tribal Cyclops Insignia" having significant blank spaces, due to it being a 'symbol' piece of sorts. However, with Aquatic Splatter Splash, I felt it was more important to use the full canvas due to it being more of a 'scene' piece. That's my take on those differences, anyway. :-3

Another big focal point for this piece was to use colours which compliment (rather than contrast heavily against) each other, and stick to variations of blues and purples to hone in on the aquatic theme.

While I have used a larger variety of visuals in this piece, I think that I prefer my previous digital art piece, "Rustic Tribal Cyclops Insignia", just a little bit more. I do really like how this one turned out as well, though. :-D

Created in Serif DrawPlus X6 using various brushes, transparency styles and a couple of altered QuickShapes. Brush strokes drawn entirely using a Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 1000.

BBS Signature

Tropical Feathered Flourish.

Daler-Rowney A4 Optima Spiral Pad - Page 1

Derwent Academy Watercolour Pencils on cartridge paper.

Super special thanks to colleagues at one of my previous jobs, for kindly giving me the Daler-Rowney A4 Optima Spiral Pad, along with some Derwent Academy Watercolour Pencils, as birthday gifts. :-D

BBS Signature

All-seeing Tassles Totem.

Daler-Rowney A4 Optima Spiral Pad - Page 2

My main inspirations behind this piece are totem poles in Green Hill levels from the Sonic Generations video game, and in particular, the totem poles and tribal elements in various levels from the classic Crash Bandicoot video games.

Derwent Academy Watercolour Pencils on cartridge paper.

BBS Signature

Response to Naean's Art & Design Topic 2018-06-19 18:36:28

Rural decadence.

Daler-Rowney A4 Optima Spiral Pad - Page 3

My main inspirations behind this piece come from the various nature oriented pieces that were painted by Bob Ross in his television show The Joy of Painting. In fact, this piece was drawn entirely while watching and listening to episodes of the show on Twitch's website. The page for this can be found here: https://www.twitch.tv/bobross.

The blue and purple colouring at the bottom portion of this piece is supposed to represent the sea, while the blue colouring at the top of this piece is supposed to represent the sky. My attempt at drawing the sea and sky didn't come out nearly as obvious as I would have liked, but I still am very fond of this piece overall nonetheless. :-)

Led pencil and Derwent Academy Watercolour Pencils on cartridge paper.

BBS Signature

Glass Stained Abstract Pane.

Daler-Rowney A4 Optima Spiral Pad - Page 4

There are two main inspirations behind this piece: One is blocky abstract art, and the other is some stained glass that I have seen on some buildings in my city's town area. I thought that it would be interesting to combine these two elements together.

Additionally, the shape of the encompassing black frame is inspired by the shape of the Microsoft Windows 8 operating system logo.

Led pencil, Derwent Academy Watercolour Pencils, Berol Colourfine and Berol Colourbroad Fibre tipped pens on cartridge paper.

BBS Signature

Response to Naean's Art & Design Topic 2018-06-28 09:34:20

Robotic emotions of uncertainty.

Bramblewood A5 Notebook - Page 39

The ears are inspired by the top of one of the flowers from the Green Hill Zone level in the Sonic The Hedgehog (SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive) video game.

The fingers (Excluding the thumbs.) are inspired by fingers of the Metal Sonic character from the Sonic The Hedgehog series.

BBS Signature

Native Nature Nurture Guardian.

Bramblewood A5 Notebook - Page 40

The hair-esque ears have a combined inspiration from 2 sources: one of them is the hair on the Bubbles character from The Powerpuff Girls series, the other is the ears on the Milla Basset character from the Freedom Planet series.

The eyes (Except the pupils.), nose and mouth are inspired by the faces on characters from the Happy Tree Friends series.

The muzzle is inspired by the muzzle on the Miles "Tails" Prower character from the Sonic The Hedgehog series.

The butterfly pattern on the belly is inspired by phrases such as "butterflies in my stomach".

The heels are inspired by the stick of the Braixen character from the Pokémon series. Also, while not a deliberate inspiration, the left and right sides of the waist are also likely to be subconsciously inspired by the waist of that same character.

BBS Signature

Response to Naean's Art & Design Topic 2018-07-03 15:44:57

The post above concludes my Bramblewood A5 Notebook posts.

BBS Signature

Response to Naean's Art & Design Topic 2018-07-03 15:47:53

Segments of individuality.

A drawing that I have done on an individual A5 sheet.

This piece has many different sources of inspiration, but most notable are those of aquatic and medieval origin.

BIC blue médium biro pen on Ryman Bright white card.

BBS Signature

Response to Naean's Art & Design Topic 2018-07-04 09:20:09

Twirling together.

Daler-Rowney A4 Optima Spiral Pad - Page 5

The eyes on the face in the blue circular shape are inspired by a style of eye decoration seen on clown faces.

Led pencil, WHSmith Oil Pastels, Ryman Coloured Pencils, Berol Colourfine, Berol Colourbroad and Berol Colourbrush Fibre tipped pens on cartridge paper.

BBS Signature

Response to Naean's Art & Design Topic 2018-07-05 09:50:29

The Molten-Mechanical Clash.

Daler-Rowney A4 Optima Spiral Pad - Page 6

The overall idea of the rocky fire is inspired by the Lava Reef Zone Act 1 level, however the fine details of the molten magma is inspired by the finely detailed foliage ground in the Mushroom Hill Zone level, both from the Sonic The Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles (SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive) video game.

The lazer gun is inspired by the Railgun weapon from the Grand Theft Auto V (Microsoft Windows/Microsoft Xbox One/Sony PlayStation 4) video game.

BIC blue médium biro pen on cartridge paper.

BBS Signature

Response to Naean's Art & Design Topic 2018-07-06 17:39:21

Scattered Sources.

A drawing that I have done on an individual A5 sheet.

BBS Signature

Response to Naean's Art & Design Topic 2018-07-07 12:43:55

I'm starting a new art series, called Pokémon Customs!

In this art series, I'll draw each Pokémon's original outline, then fill the rest of it with my own details.

All art in this series will be done on individual A5 sheets, using BIC blue médium biro pen on Ryman Bright white card.

"Customs" logo segment, and name of this art series, are inspired by Los Santos Customs from Grand Theft Auto V. This art series' logo also uses a slightly edited variant of the original Pokémon logo.

The Pokémon Customs logo was designed using Serif DrawPlus X8 computer software.

BBS Signature

BBS Signature

Pokémon Customs: #2 - Ivysaur

Reference Source: https://www.pokemon.com/uk/pokedex/ivysaur.

Apologies for some missing dates regarding when I worked on this piece.

I've had a mini rollercoaster of emotions recently, and I was quite stressed while this piece was a work in progress.

Due to this, I lost track of time, didn't work on this piece at a consistent pace, and didn't log down all dates.

BBS Signature

Response to Naean's Art & Design Topic 2018-07-09 01:04:16

Borders 'N' Panels

After taking a break from art, and reducing my stress levels, I have resumed drawing. To help me return to my regular work on art, I have drawn this rather simple, somewhat rough piece.

The borders and panels are inspired by the different user interface themes from the three video games packaged within the Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy video game.

BBS Signature

Response to Naean's Art & Design Topic 2018-07-09 14:22:12

Curly Bloboy

A blob, who is a boy, and is curly.

The loop hair tuft is inspired by loop-de-loops from Sonic The Hedgehog video games.

BBS Signature

Response to Naean's Art & Design Topic 2018-07-09 17:55:53

E-vase-ive Action

Inspired by the various fantastic pun and wordplay art pieces from Piper Thibodeau of Cryptid-Creations. :-)

Drops of sweat were placed specifically on the petals. This is a reference to drops of rain water that can sometimes be seen on petals.

BBS Signature

Response to Naean's Art & Design Topic 2018-07-10 11:26:02

Palm Atop The Rugged Embankment

Derwent Academy Watercolour Pencils on regular paper.

Super special thanks to colleagues at one of my previous jobs, for kindly giving me the Derwent Academy Watercolour Pencils, along with a Daler-Rowney A4 Optima Spiral Pad, as birthday gifts. :-D

BBS Signature

Response to Naean's Art & Design Topic 2018-07-19 00:06:52

Wrecked Window - Pane Pain

Berol Colourfine and Berol Colourbroad Fibre tipped pens on Ryman Bright white card.

BBS Signature

Thermometer Exclamation

The weather has been far too hot for me to focus and draw recently! Thankfully, it seems to be cooling down now, so I drew this relevant piece. :-3

Berol Colourfine and Berol Colourbroad Fibre tipped pens on Ryman Bright white card.

BBS Signature

Response to Naean's Art & Design Topic 2018-08-05 22:59:58

Genie's Forgotten Waterworks.

A drawing that I have done on page 7 in my Daler-Rowney A4 Optima Spiral Pad.

BIC blue médium biro pen on cartridge paper.

Apologies for some missing dates regarding when I worked on this piece.

I ended up working on this piece for longer than I anticipated, and as a result, I ran out of space to place dates. Therefore, unfortunately not all dates that this piece was worked on have been recorded.

BBS Signature

Response to Naean's Art & Design Topic 2018-08-08 00:33:47

Log On Fire

A drawing that I have done on page 8 in my Daler-Rowney A4 Optima Spiral Pad.

WHSmith Oil Pastels on cartridge paper.

BBS Signature

Spotlight Shell

The overall piece is inspired by snails.

BBS Signature