00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

markololohands just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Favorite Tom Clancy Franchise

965 Views | 6 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Favorite Tom Clancy Franchise 2018-03-18 21:54:51

Mine is Splinter Cell. What about the rest of you?

"Get busy living or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne -The Shawshank Redemption

Response to Favorite Tom Clancy Franchise 2018-03-18 23:08:01

At 3/18/18 09:54 PM, sirleibl wrote: Mine is Splinter Cell. What about the rest of you?

Sum of All Fears is the only one I know.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

I'd probably default to Splinter Cell too but I've played very little of 'his' games overall.

Of the ones I played I only remember some slightly remarkable details, like how the original Rainbow Six gave you about 20 unique soldiers at the start and you could deploy about 4 per mission, but if they died they're permanently dead. If they all die you either get a hard game over, or on easier difficulties your dead dudes were replaced with generic units with terrible stats.

Rainbow Six Vegas was streamlined but still allowed you to add/remove silencers at will and toggle firing modes at a time where such details were very rare.

EndWar was a neat gimmick, it was an RTS entirely controlled via voice commands.

At 3/18/18 11:29 PM, Entice wrote: Who is Tom Clancy
Like did he develop the games

Well he died like six years ago and they're still using his name so...

Afaik he never had much to do with the games development and the games didn't have much to do with his books. Honestly I sincerely doubt his name contributed much to sales either, I don't know why they use it.

Response to Favorite Tom Clancy Franchise 2018-03-19 12:09:01

At 3/19/18 02:07 AM, Jackho wrote:
At 3/18/18 11:29 PM, Entice wrote: Who is Tom Clancy
Like did he develop the games
Well he died like six years ago and they're still using his name so...

Afaik he never had much to do with the games development and the games didn't have much to do with his books. Honestly I sincerely doubt his name contributed much to sales either, I don't know why they use it.

The games still exist within the world of Tom Clancy's fiction and reference the organizations and people within. I doubt Tom Clancy ever directly designed anything, but I'm sure he had final say on the story and overarching scope of the games and his personal values guided a lot of the directions the games took (like how you never play as the terrorist side). Tom Clancy's name is a touchstone that people who don't play games can associate with and I think it's pretty hard to overstate his influence on American media. It's also become a brand that transcends knowing who Tom Clancy is and releasing a game with "Tom Clancy" on the box says immediately says something about the product. Especially when companies are so risk averse to releasing new franchises it's a good way for Ubisoft to essentially launch a new franchise but still give it name recognition.

Happy with what you have to be happy with

you have to be happy with what you have

to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Tom Clancy Franchise 2018-03-20 13:24:58

Original Rainbow Six, and the first Ghost Recon. First hardcore shooters I have played so challenging and fun. And the idea of setting paths for your teams to use, and the enemies have great accuracy, getting sniped with an AK, LOL.

Response to Favorite Tom Clancy Franchise 2018-03-21 12:19:06

At 3/18/18 09:54 PM, sirleibl wrote: Mine is Splinter Cell. What about the rest of you?

Ditto. I've played most of the splinter cells.

The only one I owned and haven't beaten yet is pandora. Still have the game, but xbox died on me. My favorite of them all is Chaos theory.

NG Review Moderator // Pm me for Review Abuse

BBS Signature

Splinter Cell (up to a certain point) and Net Force Explorers. Haven't got to the others yet (book-wise, no games).