New Topic Respond to this Topic
RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Musician

Hey guys, so now is the time to officially organize the 5th annual Art-Inspired Music Contest! I will need judges, and reviewers this time around! The reason this is tied to both AIM and NGADM (Newgrounds Audio Deathmatch) is because it is all scheduled around each other. AIM will start late next month, and end in July, so NGADM would have to be in the Summer, and since it'll be shorter, there's still a chance of it being this year. So, down to business!

The Current State of the Newgrounds Audio Deathmatch (NGADM)

The NGADM may or may not be this year, because I couldn't get enough people to organize a team this time, a lot of people have said they are busy this year around. With that said, it may be in the Summer if it does happen this year, and shorter, with it being reformatted; it will not be as big as usual if it happens, but a bracket of 32 instead of 64.

I know @MetalRenard was interested in carrying this tradition on if it was in danger of being cancelled, so with that said, I hereby pass the torch to him this year, whether he or someone of his choosing decides to pick out a team of experts. He's the right man for the job.

IF you would like to apply to be a part of the NGADM team, please message me for the time being in case he says he can't do it. The qualifications are that you've been on newgrounds for at least 5 years, and for most of the roles, have a good ear for music (it will show in your music as a musician), have education about music enough to where you know about EQ, Compression, and other techniques on the mixing side of it, so you can leave good feedback. If you at least have an educated background as such, you may not need to meet the 5-year requirement.

I highly suggest looking over the organization thread this year to get in contact with anyone who has stated potential availability, check in with them. https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1419355

The Art-Inspired Music Contest (AIM)

This year, AIM will be late April, and be 2 1/2 months/6 weeks long, ending in July. The official date will be announced this week, so stay tuned to the thread for more info eventually.

I will announce my nominations for the judges, but this year I'm doing things slightly different. Instead of the judges leaving reviews due to the massive amount of submissions we receive each year and our busy schedules, a lot of the judges have found it hard every year to leave reviews, and mostly have not for that reason, so I am going to appoint people who leave good feedback to review the submissions this year. I will also nominate reviewers, basically.

For the judges, I nominate @ChronoNomad, @Skyewint, @ForgottenDawn, @Hikari, and @TaintedLogic. If one or two say no, I'll nominate others. For the reviewers, I nominate @Ectisity, @AD3R-N, @TaintedLogic, @Hikari, @Skywint, @ForgottenDawn and @ChronoNomad.

Choose which you want to be, the first 4 to say yes in this thread will get the roles. Depending on the response, more nominations may or may not be announced. I look forward to hearing from you all, and thank you @TomFulp for your undying support for these events every year!

ChronoNomad
ChronoNomad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 30
Musician
Response to Organizing A.I.M./NGADM News 2018-03-13 11:01:12 Reply

I wouldn't mind being an AIM judge. Should fit nicely into my other responsibilities.

SkyeWint
SkyeWint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Organizing A.I.M./NGADM News 2018-03-13 13:05:29 Reply

No can do, mate. I don't have the time, and I'd feel rather awkward having someone else essentially review for me.

Stuff.

My AIM piece is found if you clicky the image.

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Organizing A.I.M./NGADM News 2018-03-13 13:45:47 Reply

Judges and reviewers ideally shouldn't be separate, should they?
I would lend my time, but I am living with a lot of uncertainty at the moment that I cannot even say 51% that I'd be able to do this.

TaintedLogic
TaintedLogic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Musician
Response to Organizing A.I.M./NGADM News 2018-03-13 14:11:35 Reply

I'd love to be an AIM reviewer, but I'm not sure I'm able to be a judge. I need a couple more weeks to assess whether I can work on NGADM this year, though. I'll also consider being both a judge and reviewer for AIM, but I'm not ready to commit to it just yet. Thanks for the update, RF!

"Reflect on your evils, lest they reflect on you." ~A Magic card lol --- Formerly "TheDoor6"

BBS Signature
MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Organizing A.I.M./NGADM News 2018-03-13 14:31:57 Reply

Eeep! *scared*
Are you saying you want me to run NGADM this year? Ooor have I misunderstood?
If so, yes, I will, but I will have to take some time to plan out how I want it to work and I would appreciate advice and as much information as I can get. I won't say anything further publicly until I've had time to plan some things and write out some ideas.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Veteran REAPER user. Production Director on NGAP15 - ask me for anything you need.

BBS Signature
RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Musician

UPDATE: Okay, so it looks like I will probably need more nominations for judges and reviewers. @TaintedLogic @MetalRenard @SkyeWint @Troisnyx and @ChronoNomad any suggestions as to who you think would make good judges and leave good reviews? Thanks!

At 3/13/18 11:01 AM, ChronoNomad wrote: I wouldn't mind being an AIM judge. Should fit nicely into my other responsibilities.

Thanks! Great!

At 3/13/18 01:05 PM, SkyeWint wrote: No can do, mate. I don't have the time, and I'd feel rather awkward having someone else essentially review for me.

Awww darn. Well, unfortunately how things have gone every year are when I ask judges to review, they essentially almost never do, so I'm not going to bother asking anyone this year and I don't have the time to be reviewing every submission. I don't want to be the only one reviewing again and I refuse to shoulder that weight again. That's why I'm doing it this year. It'll take a lot of pressure off the judges, and the people will still get good feedback, really this was the only way, sadly.

At 3/13/18 01:45 PM, Troisnyx wrote: Judges and reviewers ideally shouldn't be separate, should they?
I would lend my time, but I am living with a lot of uncertainty at the moment that I cannot even say 51% that I'd be able to do this.

See above answer, sadly this was the only way. I tried doing it the right way every year but that stopped working out. Also, I'm aware of that which is why I didn't ask you as much as I'd love you for a judge, you have bigger things to worry about with your own life, and I wish you well with that, hang in there.

At 3/13/18 02:11 PM, TaintedLogic wrote: I'd love to be an AIM reviewer, but I'm not sure I'm able to be a judge. I need a couple more weeks to assess whether I can work on NGADM this year, though. I'll also consider being both a judge and reviewer for AIM, but I'm not ready to commit to it just yet. Thanks for the update, RF!

Great! Keep me updated ASAP, I'm aiming for late April or early May to start if possible. I'm trying to keep NGADM an option so trying not to go too late.

At 3/13/18 02:31 PM, MetalRenard wrote: Eeep! *scared*
Are you saying you want me to run NGADM this year? Ooor have I misunderstood?
If so, yes, I will, but I will have to take some time to plan out how I want it to work and I would appreciate advice and as much information as I can get. I won't say anything further publicly until I've had time to plan some things and write out some ideas.

Yes. Thank you, take all the time you need, I went over the idea with some others and most agree that 64 is way too large of a competition and 32 would be shorter and still a large number, and not spanning a huge chunk of the year, as it was a bit too much. People need more time to themselves. Also, even adding an extra week of time may help between rounds, potentially. Essentially, I'm trying to cut it in half to work better for everyone.

I would speak to @ChronoNomad and @TaintedLogic as they were a big part of the process last year and can give you tips and advice, I passed the torch to them last year. Thanks man!

ChronoNomad
ChronoNomad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 30
Musician
Response to Organizing A.I.M./NGADM News 2018-03-13 18:26:31 Reply

At 3/13/18 04:44 PM, RealFaction wrote: UPDATE: Okay, so it looks like I will probably need more nominations for judges and reviewers. @TaintedLogic @MetalRenard @SkyeWint @Troisnyx and @ChronoNomad any suggestions as to who you think would make good judges and leave good reviews? Thanks!

Off the top of my head, I believe that @LucidShadowDreamer and @etherealwinds would make excellent judges. Lucid offers up lots of nice feedback on a regular basis, so I'm sure he'd be great at that, too. I'm just not sure about their availability.

RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Musician
Response to Organizing A.I.M./NGADM News 2018-03-13 19:06:39 Reply

At 3/13/18 06:26 PM, ChronoNomad wrote:
Off the top of my head, I believe that @LucidShadowDreamer and @etherealwinds would make excellent judges. Lucid offers up lots of nice feedback on a regular basis, so I'm sure he'd be great at that, too. I'm just not sure about their availability.

I agree, and same I'm not sure, but i'd like to have them on if they're up for it.

LucidShadowDreamer
LucidShadowDreamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 18
Musician
Response to Organizing A.I.M./NGADM News 2018-03-13 19:26:06 Reply

At 3/13/18 06:26 PM, ChronoNomad wrote:

Thanks for the nomination! I've played with the idea of judging before. I think I could do it, but it's not something I'd particularly enjoy, I believe. My initial response to this is a no, I'm afraid. I don't know exactly what I'll be doing this summer, but I know there'll be a lot of other things happening; for instance I'll be travelig to Iceland and such. If there's a crisis and no other judges can be found, I'll reconsider a bit later though :)

As for Jordi, he's currently in India. That said, he'll be back in a month, and he has talked about being interested in judging at some point. Give him a while to respond, I suppose; if I remember I'll ask him the next time we have a chat ^____^

I'm excited for this batch of competitions again, and I hope there'll be enough people willing to participate both as "staff" and as competitors. I'll be keeping an eye out for how this and other relevant threads develop :3

RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Musician
Response to Organizing A.I.M./NGADM News 2018-03-14 00:55:51 Reply

At 3/13/18 07:26 PM, LucidShadowDreamer wrote:

As for Jordi, he's currently in India. That said, he'll be back in a month, and he has talked about being interested in judging at some point. Give him a while to respond, I suppose; if I remember I'll ask him the next time we have a chat ^____^

Darn, thanks though. Oh? Well hopefully by then he'll be able to reply to all this. If you want to nominate anyone you think would be good, please do. Thanks!

RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Musician
Response to Organizing A.I.M./NGADM News 2018-03-14 12:16:57 Reply

UPDATE: The A.I.M. Contest will start April 29th, and the deadline is July 8th. That is all. If you want to nominate judges and reviewers between now and then, please do, there's plenty of time, I'm hoping there will be enough heads up though for them.

I0TA
I0TA
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Organizing A.I.M./NGADM News 2018-03-14 23:26:43 Reply

I nominate Phono.

I have no one style.
- Oscar Peterson

I0TA
I0TA
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Organizing A.I.M./NGADM News 2018-03-14 23:31:32 Reply

Hey maybe get forgottendawn to do the judging thing if you tight on spot.

I'm still the treasurer. :3 good stuff 4 y'all here.

I have no one style.
- Oscar Peterson

RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Musician

At 3/14/18 11:31 PM, I0TA wrote: Hey maybe get forgottendawn to do the judging thing if you tight on spot.

I already nominated him but he hasnt responded, and he might be busy i think. Thanks! Do you want to be a judge? Also you gotta tag @Phonometrologist

I0TA
I0TA
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Organizing A.I.M./NGADM News 2018-03-16 11:34:01 Reply

At 3/15/18 12:40 AM, RealFaction wrote:
At 3/14/18 11:31 PM, I0TA wrote: Hey maybe get forgottendawn to do the judging thing if you tight on spot.

I already nominated him but he hasnt responded, and he might be busy i think. Thanks! Do you want to be a judge? Also you gotta tag @Phonometrologist

I'm very unpopular when come to judge. Was in couple contests like NGADM (backup judge) and RAC yet I dropped out half way. Also I had some interpersonal vendetta/trolling with the last few NGADM. I don't want my shitty reputation to affect people's joining AIM.

Being a treasurer is much easier since you are out of the stage! Yay!

I have no one style.
- Oscar Peterson

RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Musician
Response to Organizing A.I.M./NGADM News 2018-03-16 12:13:08 Reply

At 3/16/18 11:34 AM, I0TA wrote:
At 3/15/18 12:40 AM, RealFaction wrote:
I'm very unpopular when come to judge. Was in couple contests like NGADM (backup judge) and RAC yet I dropped out half way. Also I had some interpersonal vendetta/trolling with the last few NGADM. I don't want my shitty reputation to affect people's joining AIM.

Being a treasurer is much easier since you are out of the stage! Yay!

I didn't know that. Well who knows. You are a good treasurer . If you don't feel comfortable being a judge that's fine. I'm hoping I find judges by the time it starts.

ForgottenDawn
ForgottenDawn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Organizing A.I.M./NGADM News 2018-03-23 13:54:30 Reply

I totally missed this post in my feed, I apologize.

I will be unable to fill any role, unfortunately. I'm expecting to be quite busy, as I have been, and I don't have a lot of spare time for Newgrounds-related activities at the moment.

Good luck to whoever will participate in this year's competitions/events.

loading: ...\root\project\Forgotten_Dawn\art\sig.gif

BBS Signature
Techmo-X
Techmo-X
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Organizing A.I.M./NGADM News 2018-03-24 04:00:04 Reply

It's been a while, several months without a computer to work with. I hope this time around I can contribute a soundtrack to A.I.M. I'm sure nothing about submissions have been posted yet right @RealFaction? In any case I'll work on something and look around for a nice piece of artwork. I'm rusty but I'll get back to my roots. Needless to say....THIS GIRL IS BACK ON NEWGROUNDS!!!

RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Musician
Response to Organizing A.I.M./NGADM News 2018-03-24 04:35:15 Reply

At 3/23/18 01:54 PM, ForgottenDawn wrote:
I will be unable to fill any role, unfortunately.

Aw shoot, we'll miss ya!

At 3/24/18 04:00 AM, Techmo-X wrote: I'm sure nothing about submissions have been posted yet right @RealFaction? THIS GIRL IS BACK ON NEWGROUNDS!!!

I haven't posted the rules for this year, no. But, the only real changes will be what I posted in this thread, otherwise for the most part, it's going to follow last year's rules. Up to 2 submissions, and you can NOT start until the start date :P so hold your horses, hehe. Wait till later next month :X glad to see you're participating.

TaintedLogic
TaintedLogic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Musician
Response to Organizing A.I.M./NGADM News 2018-04-03 20:52:03 Reply

@RealFaction Great news! I'm going to have time to be both a reviewer AND judge for A.I.M.

I'm super excited! Please keep me in the loop regarding the schedule and things. ^_^

"Reflect on your evils, lest they reflect on you." ~A Magic card lol --- Formerly "TheDoor6"

BBS Signature
RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Musician
Response to Organizing A.I.M./NGADM News 2018-04-03 21:29:45 Reply

At 4/3/18 08:52 PM, TaintedLogic wrote: @RealFaction Great news! I'm going to have time to be both a reviewer AND judge for A.I.M.

I'm super excited! Please keep me in the loop regarding the schedule and things. ^_^

Fantastic. So far it's you, me, and @ChronoNomad. I'd like to have one more judge if possible, there's still time. If not 3 is fine.

ADR3-N
ADR3-N
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Musician

At 4/3/18 09:29 PM, RealFaction wrote: Fantastic. So far it's you, me, and @ChronoNomad. I'd like to have one more judge if possible, there's still time. If not 3 is fine.

I'm up for another round judging and/or reviewing.

RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Musician
Response to Organizing A.I.M./NGADM News 2018-04-03 23:22:08 Reply

At 4/3/18 10:53 PM, ADR3-N wrote:
At 4/3/18 09:29 PM, RealFaction wrote: Fantastic. So far it's you, me, and @ChronoNomad. I'd like to have one more judge if possible, there's still time. If not 3 is fine.

And there we go. :) Now all that's left is for me to confirm the prizes, edit the rules, and we're good to go. I have a few weeks or so to do that though. Thanks guys.

ADR3-N
ADR3-N
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Musician
Response to Organizing A.I.M./NGADM News 2018-04-03 23:31:58 Reply

At 4/3/18 11:22 PM, RealFaction wrote: And there we go. :) Now all that's left is for me to confirm the prizes, edit the rules, and we're good to go. I have a few weeks or so to do that though. Thanks guys.

Sorry it took me a minute to pop in -- I just now realized you tried to mention me in the topic post, but made a small typo. Times like this I wish @'ing someone would open up a little drop-down dialog box like the PM system's recipient field. Something for the Suggestions to @TomFulp thread.

is that supposed to be a sekrit?

While I'm here, what kind of prizes we looking for? I'm actually trying to get rid of some stuff (usable, nice stuff) since my mom moved back home. I'll probably also have some parts/pieces left over from my E-drum project, depending on how that goes and if I've made one head too many for my Arduino MEGA.

RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Musician
Response to Organizing A.I.M./NGADM News 2018-04-03 23:46:14 Reply

At 4/3/18 11:31 PM, ADR3-N wrote:
While I'm here, what kind of prizes we looking for? I'm actually trying to get rid of some stuff (usable, nice stuff) since my mom moved back home. I'll probably also have some parts/pieces left over from my E-drum project, depending on how that goes and if I've made one head too many for my Arduino MEGA.

Some stuff like what? Keep me posted on that. E-drum project? Could you post pictures and such of the things you want to give potentially? So far, Dark Souls 3 and LA Noire MAYBE Steam gift cards, $100 bucks, an ng calendar, a 2001 ng sticker (super rare) and a mini ng poster. I have to confirm these, but that's what we have so far.

I'd like to collect more games as usual for the yearly Prize Pool, that's a fun feature of the contest. @AdamNG @I0TA @Ninjamuffin99 are these prizes still good to go for the contest? Would you tell me what specifically would be for AIM and what other potential prizes you would like to offer on top of that? Thanks guys!

ninjamuffin99
ninjamuffin99
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Organizing A.I.M./NGADM News 2018-04-03 23:58:23 Reply

At 4/3/18 11:46 PM, RealFaction wrote: I'd like to collect more games as usual for the yearly Prize Pool, that's a fun feature of the contest. @AdamNG @I0TA @Ninjamuffin99 are these prizes still good to go for the contest?

Yeye, I still got a buncho games, you want me to PM you a list?

#BringBackBeardFulp || RIP STATICSKULL

BBS Signature
RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Musician
Response to Organizing A.I.M./NGADM News 2018-04-04 00:27:01 Reply

At 4/3/18 11:58 PM, ninjamuffin99 wrote:
At 4/3/18 11:46 PM, RealFaction wrote: I'd like to collect more games as usual for the yearly Prize Pool, that's a fun feature of the contest. @AdamNG @I0TA @Ninjamuffin99 are these prizes still good to go for the contest?
Yeye, I still got a buncho games, you want me to PM you a list?

Sure thing.

TaintedLogic
TaintedLogic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Musician
Response to Organizing A.I.M./NGADM News 2018-04-04 00:50:10 Reply

At 4/3/18 10:53 PM, ADR3-N wrote:

This is quickly turning into a reunion of last year's NGADM judges and I love it.

BBS Signature
RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Musician
Response to Organizing A.I.M./NGADM News 2018-04-04 10:23:22 Reply

At 4/4/18 12:50 AM, TaintedLogic wrote:
This is quickly turning into a reunion of last year's NGADM judges and I love it.

Interestingly enough. Kind've a nice surprise. I didn't get to be on NGADM with you guys because it was a bit too much for my schedule, but AIM I can handle.