• 6 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Akuaitance
Akuaitance
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist

Just thought of this now while going thru' the unscouted section , not sure if it has been brought up before.... but, would it be a neat feature, if we were able to recommend an art itself to the art portal?

Let's say the artist is still developing and out of his/her 10 art , one is good enough to be in the art portal or the artist has only one art that is good enough and i wanna recommend it.

Then maybe the mods or whoever can go over it after maybe a select no' and pass it on straight to the brand new spankin' art section something of that sort.

Thoughts? Drawbacks?

Akuaitance
Akuaitance
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Art Recommendation Idea - Thoughts? 2018-03-06 17:25:31 Reply

still on this - can this be also applied for the scouted artists, like: recommend to be featured

Oddlem
Oddlem
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Melancholy
Response to Art Recommendation Idea - Thoughts? 2018-03-06 18:15:11 Reply

I'm not quite so sure about this. ;; See, the problem here is that if you recommend an unscouted artist with only one art piece to be put in the art portal, it's difficult to tell if the art is stolen since there's only one to go off by. The good part about having 4 art pieces to be scouted is that if something's stolen, you can tell immediately because the art styles changes or the quality changes. If that's taken away, there's a higher chance of people scouting others with stolen artwork.

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature
CoolCatDaddio
CoolCatDaddio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Art Lover
Response to Art Recommendation Idea - Thoughts? 2018-03-06 19:16:03 Reply

I think the scouting system works as is
not sure I like your method

You can lead a horse to water, but that horse is a actually a donkey and he wont listen to a word you say because he is rebellious

BBS Signature
Akuaitance
Akuaitance
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Art Recommendation Idea - Thoughts? 2018-03-07 06:47:06 Reply

@CoolCatDaddio I was actually thinking in the lines - in addition to the scouting system. The system is ok as is but would it improve the quality or balance in the art portal, if we were to have something like that

@Oddlem good point, so let’s disregard the artist having one art and let’s take the scenario an artist has 6-8 art on the userpage like this artist for example n’ others who sparked the idea - now in my opinion I may feel that the artist is not ready to be scouted (others may feel the opposite) or viceversa I may feel he needs to be scouted….however I would like to recommend one or two artwork coz it’s worthy enough.

some thoughts are
• it would be a nice way to promote and motivate an artist.
• He/She doesn’t need to chuck out art just for the sake of getting scouted.
• A good way to add quality work to the art portal without scouting someone.
• People don’t feel the urge to scout someone just because they have been submitting art since 2017 or 2014 and haven’t been scouted yet - coz I feel sometimes this happens whereby a person is scouted just becoz there art is ok, its not cringy, it’s just ok and becoz they have been trying for sometime now, we let them pass. Taking into account of course art is subjective.

As for those already scouted, the featured thing would be a nice way to broaden things in case the mods or Tom missed someone, offer more options or minimise time to bounty hunt for art.

JackDCurleo
JackDCurleo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Artist
Response to Art Recommendation Idea - Thoughts? 2018-03-08 17:46:55 Reply

At 3/7/18 06:47 AM, Akuaitance wrote: some thoughts are
• it would be a nice way to promote and motivate an artist.

While I think its good to want to promote new artists and get them into the portal, having a one piece in the portal but then nothing else if anything I think would demotivate an artist from posting. Lets say they make a good drawing and we vote it into the portal and only that one, then their next piece comes along and its good but not good enough to be individually voted into the portal, that person might be annoyed about that since their not getting feedback like their last one.

• He/She doesn’t need to chuck out art just for the sake of getting scouted.

its not chucking out art to get scouted, its proving they can draw and proving that they're not stealing the art so other users feel comfortable putting their rep on the line scouting them.

• A good way to add quality work to the art portal without scouting someone.

Also a way that requires more work and vigilance on the moderators part than the scouting system, which brings in artists based on the quality of more than one piece and in theory encourages continued posting from artists.

• People don’t feel the urge to scout someone just because they have been submitting art since 2017 or 2014 and haven’t been scouted yet - coz I feel sometimes this happens whereby a person is scouted just becoz there art is ok, its not cringy, it’s just ok and becoz they have been trying for sometime now, we let them pass. Taking into account of course art is subjective.

I'm not going to say that never happens but if it does its uncommon and if a scouted person's work is way below the quality threshold in a very noticeable way they do get pruned and if the case is especially bad moderators review the scouts of their scouter as well.

As for those already scouted, the featured thing would be a nice way to broaden things in case the mods or Tom missed someone, offer more options or minimise time to bounty hunt for art.

We do have a list of top recommended unscouted artists list for that and there is this thread since admittedly I'm not sure how often the aforementioned list is used but scouted users.

ANYWAY The best way to encourage artists whether scouted or unscouted is to leave feedback on their work, better than scouting them or scouting a single piece from them if you leave a detailed critique or even just a positive review or just a "great colors!" or whatever you really liked about the piece it'll motivate them to do more, also drop them a fav or a follow or whatever we call it on this site now - it's easier to work with the systems in place than build a new one that accomplishes largely the same thing.

Art Thread. Art Page. Facebook. Tumblr. I am currently using a tablet so spelling and grammar errors will happen.

BBS Signature
Akuaitance
Akuaitance
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist

@JackDCurleo
I thought it would also solve the idea of getting pruned we see from time to time, but yeah , just did a review of Ornery's scouting guide - Rule No.2 only accept scout requests from users who you don't think will be pruned. I feel the Scouting Guide should be pinned on the art forum.
Thnx for the mentioning that thread - didn't cross my mind, it actually solves the whole purpose of this thread, in a way. True enough - Feedback and Critique trumps it all.

Thanks all for your input - now my mind can move on :)