• 14 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Reader

https://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/news/kongregate-announces-its-own-digital-distribution-service-w517526

Kongregate is launching its own Steam-like distribution service called Kartridge, expected to launch this summer.

Kartridge has been designed in an effort to help "game developers of all sizes find success, offering them full control over their games, including pricing model and the user experience within the Kartridge ecosystem."

There will be no upload fees for developers, and games can also be free-to-play, pay what you want or ad-supported.

"Kartridge is more than just a platform,” Kongregate CEO said in a press release. “It’s a culmination of more than 10 years in the gaming industry."

===

Thoughts?
Will it fail?
Should NG have beat them to it?

Kongregate Launches Game Store

NG Reading ThreadMonthly Book Club • Enlist in the Elite Guard today!

BBS Signature
ZachZenith
ZachZenith
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Kongregate Launches Game Store 2018-03-06 17:39:38 Reply

Thoughts?
Will it fail?

1. ok
2. yes
3. nothing will surpass steam, and NG knows not to try

Master-X
Master-X
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Kongregate Launches Game Store 2018-03-06 20:17:58 Reply

At 3/6/18 05:39 PM, ZachZenith wrote: Thoughts?
Will it fail?

1. Meh.
2. It'll either fail or get infested with crap like Steamer did
3. We still don't have the literature portal, how the fuck would we have ever beaten them to this?

It's time to get pissed off.

Atlas
Atlas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 24
Musician

At 3/6/18 08:17 PM, Master-X wrote: 3. We still don't have the literature portal, how the fuck would we have ever beaten them to this?

I forgot about this. I remember first hearing the idea of a Lit Portal. I thought it was fantastic! Maybe one day. I waited for the chat to return and it finally did. Hopefully the same for Lit.

Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature
RightTime
RightTime
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 18
Writer

At 3/6/18 04:03 PM, Jackho wrote: https://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/news/kongregate-announces-its-own-digital-distribution-service-w517526

Kongregate is launching its own Steam-like distribution service called Kartridge, expected to launch this summer.

Kartridge has been designed in an effort to help "game developers of all sizes find success, offering them full control over their games, including pricing model and the user experience within the Kartridge ecosystem."

There will be no upload fees for developers, and games can also be free-to-play, pay what you want or ad-supported.

"Kartridge is more than just a platform,” Kongregate CEO said in a press release. “It’s a culmination of more than 10 years in the gaming industry."

===

Thoughts?
Will it fail?

Its kind of hard to make any prediction without actually seeing the platform in action. Right now they're at the closed beta stage and a lot can happen between that and general release. However there are no current plans for the platform that would point to it being a breakout success in the marketplace.

On the minus side

-All the features it hopes to provide are already available through other successful digital gaming platforms.
-It does not appear to be launching with many unique and popular titles that would draw in a lot of new users.
-Its parent company does not have much experience in the video game industry and has a relatively short term orientation for profits.

On the plus side:

-Kongregate is owned currently owned by a multi billion dollar parent company that could pump in a fair amount of capital to grow the platform.
-It has a ready made base of users and game developers to help jumpstart the portal.
-The new business has many similarities to the current business that Kongregate engages in and has experience with.

Right now everything points to the creation of a platform that when mature will have a small profit margin and limited growth potential. However a lot could change between now and launch time.

Join the Pepe the Frog Fan Club and Check out my Free Stuff List
Post in Corrupt a Wish. My old threads here. Sig image by Jackho

BBS Signature
Quisty
Quisty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 18
Art Lover
Response to Kongregate Launches Game Store 2018-03-07 08:10:06 Reply

At 3/6/18 04:03 PM, Jackho wrote: Thoughts?

Why bother, you have Steam, Steam is the big one that has everything you need.

Will it fail?

Probably, there are so many of these platforms now. I mean, Origin (EA) gives away free games just to get people on it and so it doesn't die off. I think they'd need to do the same to generate interest.

NG seems fine as is and has things on Steam. I think their focus is on using money to keep the site going.

But just remember I love u more and I loved u first. U fucked this up as always.
We should have been married long ago...with kids playing under the moon full of joy.

BBS Signature
ragnkinson
ragnkinson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Kongregate Launches Game Store 2018-03-08 03:30:49 Reply

Really? That sounds interesting

The cake is a liar!

BBS Signature
GallowJolt
GallowJolt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 07
Artist
Response to Kongregate Launches Game Store 2018-03-08 15:38:15 Reply

No upload fee you say? Time to make a quick buck then mhuhahahaha

Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Reader

At 3/6/18 05:39 PM, ZachZenith wrote: 3. nothing will surpass steam, and NG knows not to try
At 3/7/18 08:10 AM, Quisty wrote: Why bother, you have Steam, Steam is the big one that has everything you need.

I find this a fallacious way of looking at it, for a few reasons

-Defeating Steam isn't the point. There's no reason they can't co-exist. GOG and Humble Store already carved out a place for themselves despite most users having a steam account too, and even if Kartridge shares much of its library with other services there'll be sales and the like to make having an account worthwhile.

-Competition is always good. Even if steam is the only one you ever use, a monopoly isn't good for anyone and having rivals means Steam will have to stay competitive and keep improving. Imo steam has declined for years and gotten a free pass from fanboys, they've gotten far too comfortable.

-Steam won't last forever. There's absolutely no guarantee that Steam will be on top in the future. Once upon a time Myspace was the #1 site in the US (even above Google) and Bebo was king in the UK before both were toppled by Facebook. Digg was killing it before Reddit landed. Who would have thought Instagram would get so popular when there's so many similar sites already?

There's infinite examples. Steam itself was absolutely hated for a long time after its launch with naysayers insisting it's going to fail, and now it's absolutely integral to PC gaming. 'Someone else is currently winning, therefore there's no point in even trying' is such a defeatist attitude that imo has no place in a landscape as volatile as the internet.

And again, this doesn't need to kill Steam any more than vimeo has to kill youtube, it can get by in its own space.

At 3/7/18 12:49 AM, RightTime wrote: -Its parent company does not have much experience in the video game industry and has a relatively short term orientation for profits.

Kongregate have worked as a publisher for phone games and such, if that's any value. I have some faith in Kongregate themselves knowing how to handle it.

NG Reading ThreadMonthly Book Club • Enlist in the Elite Guard today!

BBS Signature
Entice
Entice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Blank Slate

The niche the NG operates in is pretty small and will probably keep shrinking, while I can see another Steam-like app getting a decent user base. So yeah, NG coming up with an idea like this could have been a good thing for them

Like other people have said though I don't think NG could have pulled this off anyways

StatKing
StatKing
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Kongregate Launches Game Store 2018-03-12 21:06:57 Reply

===

Thoughts?
Will it fail?

NG doesnt even have enough for a stick of gum let alone try and maintain a profitable business

Thoughts? Good attempt by gamestop to stay afloat

Will it fail? If ran incorrectly of course ---If gamefly can stay afloat but this fails id seriously reconsider my investment if I was a shareholder

Ectisity
Ectisity
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Kongregate Launches Game Store 2018-03-12 22:35:19 Reply

1. I kinda don't care about it at all atm, but if they're able to pull it of properly, I guess it could be cool
2. It will most likely fail. It's pointless to challenge Steam this late into the game without a greater investment.
3, NG probaby was at the same level as Kongregate some years ago, but right now the gap is so wide that it's pointless to discuss whether or not NG should have done this. NG is a niche site with a limits community these days, and doubt it will ever become something more

New Track - Colour Color Farge Coleur
Need good feedback? Consider checking out the Review Request Club
Ectisity - Leader of the {Review Request Club}

BBS Signature
Noggleton
Noggleton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 07
Melancholy
Response to Kongregate Launches Game Store 2018-03-12 23:44:50 Reply

Can't you go to Steam for like all of these games?

Noggleton is so cool lol

BBS Signature
SavageAround
SavageAround
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Kongregate Launches Game Store 2018-03-20 08:38:27 Reply

Nice idea with providing revenue incentives for indies, and surprised other digital platforms on PC. I read about their company on datapo website. I think that they will succeed considering that they have 120,000 games on Kongregate.

Quisty
Quisty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 18
Art Lover
Response to Kongregate Launches Game Store 2018-03-20 14:22:51 Reply

At 3/12/18 06:53 PM, Jackho wrote:
At 3/6/18 05:39 PM, ZachZenith wrote:
-Defeating Steam isn't the point. There's no reason they can't co-exist. GOG and Humble Store already carved out a place for themselves despite most users having a steam account too, and even if Kartridge shares much of its library with other services there'll be sales and the like to make having an account worthwhile.

I like this point because of sales.

-Competition is always good. Even if steam is the only one you ever use, a monopoly isn't good for anyone and having rivals means Steam will have to stay competitive and keep improving. Imo steam has declined for years and gotten a free pass from fanboys, they've gotten far too comfortable.

I just like my steam, it is consistent :P Ya, I see your point.

-Steam won't last forever. There's absolutely no guarantee that Steam will be on top in the future. Once upon a time Myspace was the #1 site in the US (even above Google) and Bebo was king in the UK before both were toppled by Facebook. Digg was killing it before Reddit landed. Who would have thought Instagram would get so popular when there's so many similar sites already?

It all depends on the niche market and the people. How you advertise and how you market is key to a good product and then supply and demand. I see your point, but Steam seems pretty good for me.

But just remember I love u more and I loved u first. U fucked this up as always.
We should have been married long ago...with kids playing under the moon full of joy.

BBS Signature