00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

FylypFimpossible just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Bands that piss you off live

641 Views | 12 Replies

Bands that piss you off live 2018-03-03 02:50:31

Yeah we all know bands/groups/musical performers often don't sound the same in studio recordings as live. Cool. If they're not as good as their studio recordings when live, well, okay I can live with that, as long as they at least put in an effort.

Sometimes they just really suck beyond any reasonable expectations though. And people who paid for the show really got ripped off.

So I just paid good money to watch a "performance" from a group who actually has some good music on youtube. I mean I would have considered buying a CD. What do I get at the live "performance"? Why, they don't play any of their original music at all. No. Instead they just play a bunch of shitty mainstream music from their computer, with one guy occasionally (only very very rarely) picking up his guitar to play rhythm guitar along to prerecorded music that's not even theirs, but mostly they just stand there twiddling their thumbs and you just hear basically the same crap you've heard for years on various radio stations.

Okay, so, at first I figure well maybe they're just not ready to play yet. Maybe they're waiting to see if more people show up before starting the show for real. Nope. That was it. Never did play any of their youtube music. Basically just stood there the whole time just doing the equivalent of like you flipping through random mp3s on your computer, of very mainstream stuff (not theirs). And the only "performance" was very very rarely one of the guys would noodle on his guitar as accompaniment to some very well-known recording from some other artist (again, not them).

And that was it. That was the "show". Fucking ripoff. Not going to mention the band name because one, I don't want to give them any youtube traffic. I feel they've already ripped me and everyone else off who paid to see them live. They fucking suck live and don't even play their own songs and the prerecorded other artists' music they played was really shitty stuff for the most part. Think all that shitty mainstream radio music. Okay now think you basically just payed to have "performers" play you back mp3s from their computer of that shitty mainstream radio music. And you went to the show to hear their original music. I would have just stayed home if I knew they were gonna pull that bullshit.

I stuck around in the hopes well maybe it gets better. Nah I wasted my time and money.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Bands that piss you off live 2018-03-03 03:06:27

I've gone to live concert performances on a couple of times in my life. Maybe twice or three times. All were pretty good, but I have heard stories about some artists just being wack as hell when it comes to doing an actual LIVE performance. I can't remember any specific names though. I will say that even huge, mainstream, celebrity artists like Brittney Spears and others use it live to ensure that they perform pitch-perfectly on the stage and never miss a note.

Response to Bands that piss you off live 2018-03-03 03:27:21

At 3/3/18 03:06 AM, CiviLies wrote: I've gone to live concert performances on a couple of times in my life. Maybe twice or three times. All were pretty good, but I have heard stories about some artists just being wack as hell when it comes to doing an actual LIVE performance.

I can't even tell you how many live shows I've been to nor do I remember all the names of all the bands and performers. It's been a pretty mixed bag. But this was the worst "show" I've ever been to.

I mean I've been at shows where the musicians suck but at least they're giving it an effort. Nah these guys basically just did the equivalent of played mp3s off their computer and charged people money for that, instead of legit actually playing their own music you know like what people were paying to hear.

Not only that but their music choices absolutely completely sucked. It amazes me they even managed to make any good tracks at all (of course, they played none of them, but they exist on youtube, soundcloud, and such, which I had heard prior to wasting money to see them live, under the misguided assumption this was the kind of music I would be hearing) when their personal taste in music is such complete shit.

It'd be like, I dunno, if you paid money to watch AC/DC live but then at the live show they played none of their music but just played Nickelback off a computer, with the guitarist occasionally playing backup rhythm guitar to it but mostly they just stand there doing nothing. lol.

This is beyond just sucking at playing live. This is flat up being lazy ass not even doing your job, but getting paid for it anyway.

Response to Bands that piss you off live 2018-03-03 04:54:23

The Sounds, pretty much. They're the only band I've watched live that didn't meet my expectations at all. Most actually seem to surpass them.

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Bands that piss you off live 2018-03-03 07:16:28

Silverstein. 18 years, 8 albums, and then they play for less than an hour. And call that "For The Fans Tour".

Also, Bury Tomorrow, for a different reason: I was totally shocked when I heard how shitty their clean vocalist sounds live compared to the CD.

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

It's better to die together than to live alone.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to Bands that piss you off live 2018-03-03 17:48:04

That's terrible. Can't stand "musicians" who blatantly rip off fans at their "performances".
Even a lot of hip hop acts have incorporated live instruments into their shows for years now.
I think I've only been to one show where a laptop was one of the main instruments, and even then they were accompanied by a bassist, a guitarist and two singers.

Response to Bands that piss you off live 2018-03-03 19:18:12

At 3/3/18 05:48 PM, thenoodge wrote: That's terrible. Can't stand "musicians" who blatantly rip off fans at their "performances".
Even a lot of hip hop acts have incorporated live instruments into their shows for years now.
I think I've only been to one show where a laptop was one of the main instruments, and even then they were accompanied by a bassist, a guitarist and two singers.

Worst part was it wasn't even any of their own music. It'd be like if you turned on the radio to the absolute worst radio station you can find, and then charged people money to listen. Extremely rarely you would pick up your guitar and play accompaniment rhythm to the radio song. That's not too far off from what they did.

And their performances on youtube at other venues actually show them playing their songs. Nope. Not this time. This time they decided hey let's rip off some people, not even play our own music, and charge them to hear our shitty taste in music.

On the one hand I can understand a curiosity of "Who is this awful band?" but on the other, they're not well-known and could really use the youtube publicity, so I don't want to give them any, even bad publicity. Hopefully their group doesn't last long. Plus if you'd listened to their stuff online it actually would be pretty good. They just fuck you over in live shows, or they *might* do so. Clearly at least some live shows (the ones they put on youtube) they actually had played their own music in the past.

So you can see why that pissed me off.

I don't think what they did was illegal, as typically venues do pay off the various performing rights agencies, so you're typically allowed to perform music that's not yours, but they didn't perform it so much as just play it back from a computer, so maybe they had the artist permission from each of those other artists. I don't know.

Still was quite a dick move on their part.

Response to Bands that piss you off live 2018-03-03 19:44:31

At 3/3/18 03:28 AM, MPPlantOfficial wrote: Yeah. A local band I used to listen to back in the "Emo" days.

Chicosci
Actually most of the early Emo/Punk bands suck live now because most can't reach that Whiny teenager voice anymore:
Yellowcard

But they would be really great if they could hit that whiny cuck sound, right?

Response to Bands that piss you off live 2018-03-03 23:51:17

Definitely not Frank Zappa. A lot of his live music is as good or even better than his recordings in the studio. The guy was a fucking genius. Metallica has some good live content, especially their live album with the San Francisco Symphony. Besides those two I don't really listen to live music. How about that for a post!

Noggleton is so cool lol

BBS Signature

Response to Bands that piss you off live 2018-03-04 00:51:10

At 3/3/18 11:51 PM, Noggleton wrote: Definitely not Frank Zappa. A lot of his live music is as good or even better than his recordings in the studio. The guy was a fucking genius. Metallica has some good live content, especially their live album with the San Francisco Symphony. Besides those two I don't really listen to live music. How about that for a post!

Dude, Frank Zappa was the man. You were lucky enough to get to see him play live?

I have a lot of respect for that guy. Just go look up his interviews and he's all telling the music industry to go fuck itself, basically. As well as very insightful responses about American culture and the government and some conspiracy stuff that's basically true.

He hits the nail on the head that too many people just don't even bother to think and that majority of American culture is just crap (was true back when those interviews were done, is still true today).

Response to Bands that piss you off live 2018-03-04 15:24:58

Snoop Dogg was like 1.5 hours late for his set at an outdoor music fest he was headlining at once, the performance was cool once he came out tho

BBS Signature

Response to Bands that piss you off live 2018-03-04 19:54:03

At 3/4/18 03:24 PM, Alias wrote: Snoop Dogg was like 1.5 hours late for his set at an outdoor music fest he was headlining at once, the performance was cool once he came out tho

I can deal with a band, group, or musical/artistic performer being late as long as they don't cut the show short to make up for that and as long as they actually make a solid effort at performing.

Presumably when you go to watch a live performance of some type, you have no further plans for the evening so that will be your night, so it's not that big a deal if you have to wait around a bit, IMO.

But what if when you went to watch him perform, instead of performing his work, he just brought a laptop on stage, and played you his favorite mp3s from there? lol.

Response to Bands that piss you off live 2018-03-05 06:15:49

At 3/4/18 07:54 PM, NeonSpider wrote: I can deal with a band, group, or musical/artistic performer being late as long as they don't cut the show short to make up for that

I've seen Amorphis do that once. Granted, their lateness was due to technical difficulties, but being the last act for that day, nothing really stopped them from doing the full show.

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

It's better to die together than to live alone.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature