Be a Supporter!
LeonarDuh
LeonarDuh
  • Member since: Mar. 1, 2018
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Need help with Flash 8 2018-03-01 04:46:29 Reply

I need help with operating Macromedia Flash 8 professional, i want to be a Mandess short animator but i can't seem to adeguately use the program, i beg you to tell me particularly how to have 2 files opened in contemporary
do NOT SPAM; REMEMBER I NEED URGENT HELP

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Writer
Response to Need help with Flash 8 2018-03-01 14:17:55 (edited 2018-03-01 14:18:53) Reply

At 3/1/18 04:46 AM, LeonarDuh wrote: how to have 2 files opened in contemporary

Not really sure what you mean with this? Are you asking how to open two files at the same time? To to this: simply open the File menu and select Open, or drag files you want to open to the splash screen when you launch the program. They'll all open simultaneously.

If you're wondering about how to combine two files, you basically have to copy everything from one to the other. Easiest way is just selecting the frame or frames you need and copying those - all resources should follow along.

Hope that's what you were asking about?

LeonarDuh
LeonarDuh
  • Member since: Mar. 1, 2018
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Need help with Flash 8 2018-03-02 02:06:38 Reply

At 3/1/18 02:17 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 3/1/18 04:46 AM, LeonarDuh wrote: how to have 2 files opened in contemporary
Not really sure what you mean with this? Are you asking how to open two files at the same time? To to this: simply open the File menu and select Open, or drag files you want to open to the splash screen when you launch the program. They'll all open simultaneously.

If you're wondering about how to combine two files, you basically have to copy everything from one to the other. Easiest way is just selecting the frame or frames you need and copying those - all resources should follow along.

Hope that's what you were asking about?

what i meant to do is... you know how you use a browser right? you can open two sites at the same time and switch betweeen them anytime right? but it looks like it doesn't have the feature at all while in Kenami's tutorial the feature was completely present, i would need help with THAT thing in particular, if i try to open two projects at the same time it just can't do that man.... i literally just need to do the same thing i do with browsers to copy and paste chraracther,weapon, and just... every sprite i need

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Writer
Response to Need help with Flash 8 2018-03-02 04:02:48 (edited 2018-03-02 04:03:18) Reply

At 3/2/18 02:06 AM, LeonarDuh wrote: what i meant to do is... you know how you use a browser right? you can open two sites at the same time and switch betweeen them anytime right? but it looks like it doesn't have the feature at all while in Kenami's tutorial the feature was completely present, i would need help with THAT thing in particular, if i try to open two projects at the same time it just can't do that man.... i literally just need to do the same thing i do with browsers to copy and paste chraracther,weapon, and just... every sprite i need

Oh, that's definitely an issue I've never had before. Can you open each file separately - so there's no issue with one of the files? Do you get any error messages when you try to open more than one? If the files are both large it could be that it's a memory issue too. In that case you could try shutting down all other programs you don't need and see if it works then.

LeonarDuh
LeonarDuh
  • Member since: Mar. 1, 2018
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Need help with Flash 8 2018-03-02 11:21:04 Reply

At 3/2/18 04:02 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
Oh, that's definitely an issue I've never had before. Can you open each file separately - so there's no issue with one of the files? Do you get any error messages when you try to open more than one? If the files are both large it could be that it's a memory issue too. In that case you could try shutting down all other programs you don't need and see if it works then.

oh well that's NICE, i miht just give it up unless... i spam the hell out of every possible command in order to fix that issue

Need help with Flash 8

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Writer
Response to Need help with Flash 8 2018-03-02 11:29:34 (edited 2018-03-02 11:30:02) Reply

At 3/2/18 11:21 AM, LeonarDuh wrote: oh well that's NICE, i miht just give it up unless... i spam the hell out of every possible command in order to fix that issue

So both files work? No error messages? Nothing? Does the program crash if you try opening more than one file...? With no more details to go on I don't really know where to start looking. :/

If you really do got this though...
LeonarDuh
LeonarDuh
  • Member since: Mar. 1, 2018
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Need help with Flash 8 2018-03-04 17:20:40 Reply

I give up
Im so fucking done
It's been 3 days
Why the fuck i can't do something other than NOTHING
k

Alexander
Alexander
  • Member since: Jul. 5, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 11
Writer
Response to Need help with Flash 8 2018-03-04 22:50:52 Reply

Hmmm. If I remember correctly, Flash 8 didn't have that accessibility? I could be wrong, it's been a really long time, but I thought they added the project tabs when Adobe took over?

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Writer
Response to Need help with Flash 8 2018-03-06 07:16:50 Reply

At 3/4/18 10:50 PM, Alexander wrote: Hmmm. If I remember correctly, Flash 8 didn't have that accessibility? I could be wrong, it's been a really long time, but I thought they added the project tabs when Adobe took over?

I opened up two projects simultaneously in Flash 8 to test this, so unless I'm misunderstanding the accessibility that shouldn't be the issue. :)

LeonarDuh
LeonarDuh
  • Member since: Mar. 1, 2018
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Need help with Flash 8 2018-03-06 09:56:05 (edited 2018-03-06 09:56:53) Reply

I returned from the dead to give the living haircuts, i was joking.
a dude named theWacomFairy gave me instructions on how to fix my issue, and they worked like miracle, not quite what i asked but it can totally do, but now i have another problem, i need a .FLA file to put it as primary library so i can copy and paste the sprites and proceed to animate them, after this there will be nothing to stop me except my poor bastard of my computer/my family

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Writer
Response to Need help with Flash 8 2018-03-06 11:47:56 Reply

At 3/6/18 09:56 AM, LeonarDuh wrote: I returned from the dead to give the living haircuts, i was joking.

These creative entry lines. XD

a dude named theWacomFairy gave me instructions on how to fix my issue, and they worked like miracle, not quite what i asked but it can totally do, but now i have another problem, i need a .FLA file to put it as primary library so i can copy and paste the sprites and proceed to animate them, after this there will be nothing to stop me except my poor bastard of my computer/my family

Awesome to hear. Wonder what the advice that worked so well was, if it'd be possible to share? For anyone who stumbles upon the topic in the future...

As for the new problem: you mean you want to add a .FLA within a library within the .FLA? If so I don't think that's possible. You can however easily copy over everything, either via the frames or the items on the canvas.

LeonarDuh
LeonarDuh
  • Member since: Mar. 1, 2018
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Need help with Flash 8 2018-03-07 02:12:36 Reply

At 3/6/18 11:47 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
Awesome to hear. Wonder what the advice that worked so well was, if it'd be possible to share? For anyone who stumbles upon the topic in the future...

As for the new problem: you mean you want to add a .FLA within a library within the .FLA? If so I don't think that's possible. You can however easily copy over everything, either via the frames or the items on the canvas.

how did i fixed my issue you ask?i imported an alternative copy of the sprite sheet on a external library, it stands there, and i can still copy and paste everything from there, and i was like "GOOD", what i meant to do now is make a blank .fla sheet to copy and paste anything i need once i made it as primary, but it seems that doing it on paintdoesn't work

Need help with Flash 8

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Writer
Response to Need help with Flash 8 2018-03-07 06:34:33 Reply

At 3/7/18 02:12 AM, LeonarDuh wrote: how did i fixed my issue you ask?i imported an alternative copy of the sprite sheet on a external library, it stands there, and i can still copy and paste everything from there, and i was like "GOOD", what i meant to do now is make a blank .fla sheet to copy and paste anything i need once i made it as primary, but it seems that doing it on paintdoesn't work

Hmm, so I'm not sure exactly what you did there, image, or .fla, and external library... as in a separate folder? Or in the 'library' in Flash? Either way good to hear it worked out. XD

You're working in Paint though? Not Flash? You can export images from Flash too. If you want to export a sprite sheet there just export as PNG with transparent background, it's perfect for that.

LeonarDuh
LeonarDuh
  • Member since: Mar. 1, 2018
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Need help with Flash 8 2018-03-08 03:53:10 Reply

At 3/7/18 06:34 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
Hmm, so I'm not sure exactly what you did there, image, or .fla, and external library... as in a separate folder? Or in the 'library' in Flash? Either way good to hear it worked out. XD

You're working in Paint though? Not Flash? You can export images from Flash too. If you want to export a sprite sheet there just export as PNG with transparent background, it's perfect for that.

i don't mean i work on paint of course, i meant to say i tired to make a blank image on paint, saved it, and then tried to change format from png to fla but it failed as it couldn't be accepted by flash as a main project file

i took the sprite sheet and imported it onto a external library, in a different window, and BAM im stuck there again

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Writer
Response to Need help with Flash 8 2018-03-08 04:18:44 (edited 2018-03-08 04:24:25) Reply

At 3/8/18 03:53 AM, LeonarDuh wrote: i don't mean i work on paint of course, i meant to say i tired to make a blank image on paint, saved it, and then tried to change format from png to fla but it failed as it couldn't be accepted by flash as a main project file

Ohh, yeah you can't change file formats that way. An .fla file is not an image format, it's basically a container format that only works with Flash. Like an archive.

You can however import the .png into Flash easily, or export as .jpg if you're trying to keep the size down. As far as I know Paint doesn't let you export with a transparent background anyway, so having the highest quality format isn't all necessary. After import you can 'trace bitmap' to remove the background if you need to.

As far as changing file extensions go, it might work when you open the file with a program that recognizes what format it really is, via the headers, but generally that's bound to cause problems. The content of the file won't change when you change the extension.

i took the sprite sheet and imported it onto a external library, in a different window, and BAM im stuck there again

How about importing as an image? If the extension's been the issue seems like that'd solve it...

LeonarDuh
LeonarDuh
  • Member since: Mar. 1, 2018
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Need help with Flash 8 2018-03-08 05:13:22 Reply

At 3/8/18 04:18 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
Ohh, yeah you can't change file formats that way. An .fla file is not an image format, it's basically a container format that only works with Flash. Like an archive.

shit

You can however import the .png into Flash easily, or export as .jpg if you're trying to keep the size down. As far as I know Paint doesn't let you export with a transparent background anyway, so having the highest quality format isn't all necessary. After import you can 'trace bitmap' to remove the background if you need to.

if only it wasn't the professional edition and if the help tab worked that would be a good thing and i would have beginned making animations by now

As far as changing file extensions go, it might work when you open the file with a program that recognizes what format it really is, via the headers, but generally that's bound to cause problems. The content of the file won't change when you change the extension.

yeah i did that after i saved a blank image from paint and it didn't work
also my cat is sitting by my side
:3

How about importing as an image? If the extension's been the issue seems like that'd solve it...

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
i'll try

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Writer
Response to Need help with Flash 8 2018-03-08 06:36:28 (edited 2018-03-08 06:37:09) Reply

At 3/8/18 05:13 AM, LeonarDuh wrote: shit

if only it wasn't the professional edition and if the help tab worked that would be a good thing and i would have beginned making animations by now

Isn't the Professional edition better than the normal edition? I think the program relies on an old format of Help files, that doesn't work on newer Windows... no wait looks like it works fine for me... anyway there's a lot of help and tutorials online too, for starters maybe this is useful (it's for the Professional edition too): http://www.baycongroup.com/flash/00_flash.htm

yeah i did that after i saved a blank image from paint and it didn't work
also my cat is sitting by my side
3

XD Always nice with cats...

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
i'll try

Good start!

LeonarDuh
LeonarDuh
  • Member since: Mar. 1, 2018
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Need help with Flash 8 2018-03-09 01:32:20 Reply

At 3/8/18 06:36 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
Isn't the Professional edition better than the normal edition? I think the program relies on an old format of Help files, that doesn't work on newer Windows... no wait looks like it works fine for me... anyway there's a lot of help and tutorials online too, for starters maybe this is useful (it's for the Professional edition too): http://www.baycongroup.com/flash/00_flash.htm

this might help me to familiarize with the program, so i can obviously get better at animating, thanks for the link anyway, im still stranded but im gonna try and find a solution myself...

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Writer
Response to Need help with Flash 8 2018-03-09 03:19:32 (edited 2018-03-09 03:21:05) Reply

At 3/9/18 01:32 AM, LeonarDuh wrote: this might help me to familiarize with the program, so i can obviously get better at animating, thanks for the link anyway, im still stranded but im gonna try and find a solution myself...

Importing the image didn't work either...? Do you get any error message when you try? What happens? Good luck though!

LeonarDuh
LeonarDuh
  • Member since: Mar. 1, 2018
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Need help with Flash 8 2018-03-12 09:34:00 Reply

At 3/9/18 03:19 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
Importing the image didn't work either...? Do you get any error message when you try? What happens? Good luck though!

*LeonarDuh uses attempt to find a solution*

Flash:o mae wa mon, shinderidu.

LeonarDuh:NANI?!

*attempt failed lmao*

sorry for not being active for several days :C

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Writer
Response to Need help with Flash 8 2018-03-12 11:05:12 Reply

At 3/12/18 09:34 AM, LeonarDuh wrote: Flash:o mae wa mon, shinderidu.

Before you go to school...?

LeonarDuh:NANI?!

Exactly my impression. XD Not sure what happened there, but OK, hope you figure it out eventually...

*attempt failed lmao*

sorry for not being active for several days :C

And no worries about that! Response times here vary immensely

LeonarDuh
LeonarDuh
  • Member since: Mar. 1, 2018
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Need help with Flash 8 2018-03-30 09:19:03 Reply

I wonder why i still haven't given up, though like there is no more "DaVinci" in my name, i am STILL strying to fix the jammed door that COULD have opened and gave me a treasure called "Possibility" or either "Fame", but NO NO NO NO AND HAHAAHHAAAAA NOOOOOOO!!!
I could either give up entirely or... pick another program?
Now both options are good ideas, the first one because i'm lazy and as sloppy as a sloth, the second because either i can't use flash for shit or it's just unreliable because struggling with this fucking project just seems futile and a cause of never-ending agony.

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Writer
Response to Need help with Flash 8 2018-03-30 12:26:35 Reply

At 3/30/18 09:19 AM, LeonarDuh wrote: Now both options are good ideas, the first one because i'm lazy and as sloppy as a sloth, the second because either i can't use flash for shit or it's just unreliable because struggling with this fucking project just seems futile and a cause of never-ending agony.

You've been working with this all this time?! :O Such perseverance! Well if you do have ideas for other programs you could use, then why not. Always good to know how the different ones compare; settle for the one you like the most. I really didn't know Flash could be this difficult though, strange...

LeonarDuh
LeonarDuh
  • Member since: Mar. 1, 2018
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Need help with Flash 8 2018-04-21 08:46:17 Reply

At 3/30/18 12:26 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: You've been working with this all this time?! :O Such perseverance! Well if you do have ideas for other programs you could use, then why not. Always good to know how the different ones compare; settle for the one you like the most. I really didn't know Flash could be this difficult though, strange...

So much for project tabs tho
I think I could just do the same on fucking paint at this point lmao

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Writer
Response to Need help with Flash 8 2018-04-21 09:32:04 Reply

At 4/21/18 08:46 AM, LeonarDuh wrote: So much for project tabs tho
I think I could just do the same on fucking paint at this point lmao

Hehe, well I doubt that. XD But there are people who do make their animations with Paint entirely, it's pretty impressive.

LeonarDuh
LeonarDuh
  • Member since: Mar. 1, 2018
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Need help with Flash 8 2018-05-31 13:17:43 Reply

I think i have fucked around for long enough to give up entirely on "animation" haven't i?
Turns out, i did give up entirely.

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Writer
Response to Need help with Flash 8 2018-06-10 16:04:51 Reply

At 5/31/18 01:17 PM, LeonarDuh wrote: I think i have fucked around for long enough to give up entirely on "animation" haven't i?
Turns out, i did give up entirely.

Sooo no Paint, either? There are ways!

LeonarDuh
LeonarDuh
  • Member since: Mar. 1, 2018
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Need help with Flash 8 2018-06-14 08:31:02 Reply

At 6/10/18 04:04 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:
Sooo no Paint, either? There are ways!

Yeah, I know, we're just getting this desperate over a thing I couldn't do for shit.
I wonder if this thread becomes so long it could break a record.
Unfortunately, I could guess I can't do that either so just assume my existence here on Newgrounds is pointless from now on.
Waddle on.

DamnedByFate
DamnedByFate
  • Member since: Jan. 14, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 44
Blank Slate
Response to Need help with Flash 8 2018-06-14 13:16:35 Reply

At 6/14/18 08:31 AM, LeonarDuh wrote: I wonder if this thread becomes so long it could break a record.

Look at the Level Up Lounge in this very forum, and you shall see that the record is very very very hard to break.


You can't fight for peace. If you fight, there ain't peace. NO, I'M NOT AMERICAN!
On every ship that floats and sails, there's someone who the captain nails.
Sig by Decky.

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Writer
Response to Need help with Flash 8 2018-06-16 05:41:04 Reply

At 6/14/18 01:16 PM, DamnedByFate wrote:
At 6/14/18 08:31 AM, LeonarDuh wrote: I wonder if this thread becomes so long it could break a record.
Look at the Level Up Lounge in this very forum, and you shall see that the record is very very very hard to break.

Record for longest thread with 'Need help with Flash 8' title, maybe? :P You've got it!

At 6/14/18 08:31 AM, LeonarDuh wrote: so just assume my existence here on Newgrounds is pointless from now on.
Waddle on.

No reason to get all depressed allofasudden. XD How about art? Music? Voice acting? There's so many other areas to get in on if Flash isn't your thing.