00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

markololohands just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Any General Art Tips?

487 Views | 13 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Any General Art Tips? 2018-02-24 02:46:57

Hi,
So I've seen a lot of these art forums with people showcasing their art and asking for feedback but I've wondered if anyone can give me like any general art tips to improve at art, cause i feel like my art might need some help to improve at its current state.

Any help would be appreciated! :)

Response to Any General Art Tips? 2018-02-24 16:27:45

At 2/24/18 08:54 AM, thepixelizer wrote: A standard humans' forearm and upper arm are the same length, and the end of the hand should be a bit lower than the hip.
Also from the side view the spine should curve instead of look straight. The eyes should always be about around an eye apart.

:There are several ways to make a character look more appealing. Including big eyes and heads. Stylized unrealistic body distortion like the Incredibles etc.

Thanks, i never considered that thing about the spine!
I'll try these tips next time i draw!

Response to Any General Art Tips? 2018-02-24 16:30:52

At 2/24/18 03:02 AM, TheGamingRT wrote:
At 2/24/18 02:46 AM, Snakesrcool-2003 wrote: Hi,
So I've seen a lot of these art forums with people showcasing their art and asking for feedback but I've wondered if anyone can give me like any general art tips to improve at art, cause i feel like my art might need some help to improve at its current state.

Any help would be appreciated! :)
Got any pictures? Might be able to give some ideas if you got a picture.

I have a few drawings on my profile, and my profile picture was also made by me (it was cropped from one of my drawings) but if you want a drawing here i got this:

(Btw this is a bit of an older drawing so I have improved a bit since then but thats just an alternative to my profile picture)

Any General Art Tips?

Response to Any General Art Tips? 2018-02-24 18:13:54

At 2/24/18 05:43 PM, TheGamingRT wrote: Looking through some of your art, the only real tip that I can see is try and make your lines a bit smoother. They look a little jagged in some areas. Besides that also follow the tips mentioned above.

Thanks! Will do.

Response to Any General Art Tips? 2018-02-27 09:00:43

At 2/24/18 02:46 AM, Snakesrcool-2003 wrote: Any help would be appreciated! :)

Unless somebody is already training you check out a tutorial online for what you want to achieve. It shouldn't take longer than a day to learn a new skill, but in order to get the results you want, set a timeframe and keep drawing again and again, at the end of the deadline pick the best stuff over the rest that wasn't what you wanted. If you make a mistake, don't throw it away or start again. Finish what you set out to do, correct anything that's fixable and then grab another sheet and draw the next one until you're happy you got what you wanted. We all do this as children but when we reach young adulthood we become too concerned with the Art world, it's just all current trends which is you set that by making enough of anything.

Response to Any General Art Tips? 2018-02-27 15:53:28

I love your subtle backround work I'm not fond of the thick black lines so I would go thinner or remove the outter lines and have the rest flow in

~X~

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

[] The Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] COMIC >> WAYNES WORLD

BBS Signature

Response to Any General Art Tips? 2018-03-01 00:41:05

I'd say draw what you'd think looks good. Let me elaborate.

Envision a concept of what you want to draw then focus on it's parts. As the thepixelizer said, it's always good to start with basic shapes and references as a sort of mental scaffolding. Work your way in with details, if it doesn't fit with how you think it should look then adjust it. Though it may never fit quite right, close enough is usually good enough in my opinion.

Response to Any General Art Tips? 2018-03-01 06:36:18

I am far from being a good artist but the way I learned was watching tutorials and practice, practice, practice. My go to YouTube channel is Draw with Jazza (a pretty famous newgrounds animator/artist) and I would just do what he does over and over. Eventually you'll develop your own art style based on things that inspire you and such.

Response to Any General Art Tips? 2018-03-02 19:12:43

At 3/1/18 06:36 AM, Avladle wrote: I am far from being a good artist but the way I learned was watching tutorials and practice, practice, practice. My go to YouTube channel is Draw with Jazza (a pretty famous newgrounds animator/artist)

Thanks! Coincidentally that's actually the same you tuber I look at too!

Response to Any General Art Tips? 2018-03-02 19:15:05

At 2/27/18 03:53 PM, XwaynecoltX wrote: I love your subtle backround work I'm not fond of the thick black lines so I would go thinner or remove the outter lines and have the rest flow in

~X~

Thanks, Its good to know that my backgrounds are somewhat decent because honestly I felt they looked really lazy.

Response to Any General Art Tips? 2018-03-02 19:16:07

At 3/1/18 12:41 AM, FlyingDecimal wrote: I'd say draw what you'd think looks good. Let me elaborate.

Envision a concept of what you want to draw then focus on it's parts. Work your way in with details, if it doesn't fit with how you think it should look then adjust it. Though it may never fit quite right, close enough is usually good enough in my opinion.

Thanks, I'll keep these in mind!

Response to Any General Art Tips? 2018-03-02 19:18:44

At 2/27/18 09:00 AM, Comicsin wrote:
At 2/24/18 02:46 AM, Snakesrcool-2003 wrote: Any help would be appreciated! :)
Unless somebody is already training you check out a tutorial online for what you want to achieve. It shouldn't take longer than a day to learn a new skill, but in order to get the results you want, set a timeframe and keep drawing again and again, at the end of the deadline pick the best stuff over the rest that wasn't what you wanted. If you make a mistake, don't throw it away or start again. Finish what you set out to do, correct anything that's fixable and then grab another sheet and draw the next one until you're happy you got what you wanted.

Thanks! Usually when I do a drawing I just go straight into it and like don't try it again even if I'm not too happy with it so this should be useful to keep in mind.

Response to Any General Art Tips? 2018-03-02 21:15:14 (edited 2018-03-02 21:16:43)

A lot of people already mentioned the rough line work but I find that moving your pen at the shoulder instead of just your wrist can help tremendously. I hope that makes sense.

Response to Any General Art Tips? 2018-03-03 00:08:59

Maybe someone already mentioned this but practice anatomy. People generally have arms that extend below the waist, and hands reach the thighs. For females, they have less square, masculine jaws etc etc.

I'd say just practice doing art in the style of someone famous already to at least get the basics down. Compare it to something popular for whatever genre you like.

t. person who doesn't draw.