TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 20
Game Developer

Construct 3 Jam!

Newgrounds will be hosting a Construct 3 Jam between March 8th and April 8th.

Construct 3 is a web-based platform for developing games. No programming experience is required and games can be exported for platforms such as PC, mobile, Xbox One and the web.

In our previous Construct 3 Jam, @Butzbo made DUCKS!

• 'DUCKS!'
    'DUCKS!' by Butzbo

A puzzle game about ducks.

Score
    4.25 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

The full version of Construct 3 will not be unlocked during this period so non-subscribers will be using the free version, however it's a great opportunity to win a subscription or add a free year to your existing subscription!

Prizes:

1st Place: Year's sub for C3, pig badge and sweet hamper
2nd Place: Year's sub for C3, pig badge
3rd Place: Year's sub for C3, pig badge
4th Place: Pencils and pig badge
5th-10th Place: Pig badge

The theme will be announced at 11am EST on March 8th. If you want to make games and have never tried Construct 3, I highly recommend giving it a go! You can start learning today and then get serious when the jam theme is announced.

Yeah Jam Fury Stage Building Contest

Keep an eye out this Friday for the launch of a Yeah Jam Fury stage building contest! @Cleod-9 will be releasing a demo version of the new Yeah Jam Fury here on NG, complete with a fully unlocked stage builder for use in this month-long event.

The original Yeah Jam Fury was a web game right here on NG:

• Yeah Jam Fury
    Yeah Jam Fury by TheWillyboo

Fabricate, Navigate and Eradicate your way through rigorous levels of nonstop face action!

Score
    3.77 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

Site Updates

Yesterday we updated the game and movie view pages with our new layout. They function much better on mobile and have a few bells and whistles for all users, such as more clear follow buttons, the ability to listen to credited Audio Portal music in-page and real-time notifications. Everything should load a little faster and the display area is slightly larger on desktop, too.

We also just updated the Community hub with a more prominent link to our User of the Day Archive, which now includes a name search so you can see if you or someone you know was ever User of the Day. We introduced a dedicated search server last year and this is a fun demo of how we'll be putting it to use in other ways around the site.

If you enjoy watching NG evolve, please consider becoming a supporter! In the near-term, your support helps us maintain our hosting and ongoing site updates. Long-term, we would love to have enough supporters to impact original content and rev-sharing. Every person counts so join the cause if you can!

Thank you everyone who has already come aboard as supporters, we wouldn't be able to do this without you.

@IvanAlmighty has announced a Newgrounds Philly Meetup on Saturday, March 3rd. I'll be there along with lots of local NG folks, be sure to stop by if you're in the area.

Check out the Best of January if you missed it!

Construct 3 Jam & Site Updates

Nightmare Cops, the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Abracadabra123
Abracadabra123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Filmmaker

I got a security warning when I clicked on the construct 3 link.

"This site has been reported as phishing website. Exchanging sensitive or confidential information with this site could put you at risk of identity theft and/or financial fraud. We strongly discourage visiting this page."

HazPot
HazPot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Construct 3 Jam & Site Updates 2018-02-13 12:25:48 Reply

At 2/13/18 12:12 PM, Abracadabra123 wrote: I got a security warning when I clicked on the construct 3 link.

"This site has been reported as phishing website. Exchanging sensitive or confidential information with this site could put you at risk of identity theft and/or financial fraud. We strongly discourage visiting this page

Whatevs!!!

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 20
Game Developer

At 2/13/18 12:12 PM, Abracadabra123 wrote: I got a security warning when I clicked on the construct 3 link.

"This site has been reported as phishing website. Exchanging sensitive or confidential information with this site could put you at risk of identity theft and/or financial fraud. We strongly discourage visiting this page."

Whaaaaaaaaaaat? Is this in Chrome? I've never seen anything like that on my end, sounds really off... Let me know what browser / OS you are using. Can you also confirm this is the URL:

https://www.construct.net/

If you have malware on your computer it could be hijacking browser links.

BBS Signature
JamesCubeNG
JamesCubeNG
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Art Lover
Response to Construct 3 Jam & Site Updates 2018-02-13 12:28:05 Reply

Sounds cool.

Hello

BBS Signature
StickmanMarkinson
StickmanMarkinson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Construct 3 Jam & Site Updates 2018-02-13 12:35:44 Reply

That's great to know. Well I am mixed about the updates of the layout for the games and movies page layout when you click in. I hope in the near future, There should be some sort of a badge in the portal layout page,letting you know that you already submitted a vote on the under-judgement page. It should be very close to the title of the file. So I don't have to check it twice incase, no one remembers the last thing the users did in the portal, so it could be very useful. Maybe there should be a way to contribute to NG's wiki someday? The information is still empty, not like NG's 2007 FAQ. Otherwise, I'm satisfied with the update... But if all of us can do better contributing, and we will be right back on track!

Moving on and looking forward...
LM-M// Twitter:@Uncle_MartinMac/ PSN:LordMartinMac/

BBS Signature
Viper
Viper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 47
Musician
Response to Construct 3 Jam & Site Updates 2018-02-13 12:39:55 Reply

I liked the mobile layout for games and movies.
Though I don't like the buttons for voting in comparison. They look too small especially with how they're positioned.

Formally known as Viper50
When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.
Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to Construct 3 Jam & Site Updates 2018-02-13 12:45:18 Reply

At 2/13/18 12:39 PM, Viper wrote: I liked the mobile layout for games and movies.
Though I don't like the buttons for voting in comparison. They look too small especially with how they're positioned.

Voting is going to visually change, right now mobile is making do with the old vote bar graphics. We are still moving towards a single vote bar per page (so you use the same system to score your review as you do to score the submission). It makes sense to use the star system from reviews because it includes half stars but we're also torn about losing the facial expressions, so desktop might be a hybrid where you use stars but see an accompanying facial expression to the side of the stars. Still tinkering in that space.

BBS Signature
ninjamuffin99
ninjamuffin99
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Construct 3 Jam & Site Updates 2018-02-13 12:54:08 Reply

new viewing pages looking very snazzy

also daang that gamejam is right around the corner. Also its a biggie. Looking forward to it! The C3 jam from last year was real good.

#BringBackBeardFulp || RIP STATICSKULL

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 59
Writer
Response to Construct 3 Jam & Site Updates 2018-02-13 13:23:45 Reply

At 2/13/18 11:35 AM, TomFulp wrote: We also just updated the Community hub with a more prominent link to our User of the Day Archive---

This is awesome! Search is so fast. Such a small feature that adds so much! Think I skimmed through all pages of this some years back, but it's now easy to confirm: still need to get that UOTD some day...

The new game/movie pages look slick, though wish you could've kept the collapse submission button! It was really useful when certain games/scripts got out of control, or when you just want to close it down and review.

At 2/13/18 12:45 PM, TomFulp wrote: Voting is going to visually change ... desktop might be a hybrid where you use stars but see an accompanying facial expression to the side of the stars. Still tinkering in that space.

Super happy to hear it might be possible! So much character in those.

Also wonder what the pig badge prize might be? A Butzbo badge?

Looking forward to the Jams!

IvanAlmighty
IvanAlmighty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 07
Animator
Response to Construct 3 Jam & Site Updates 2018-02-13 13:25:33 Reply

Definitely gonna stream this year's games again on the NG Twitch, hell I'm gonna go back and revisit last year's favorites.

Open challenge to beat my Blind Blade score, if you can...

BBS Signature
RigaheaD
RigaheaD
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Game Developer
Response to Construct 3 Jam & Site Updates 2018-02-13 14:34:43 Reply

Construct 3 Jam!

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to Construct 3 Jam & Site Updates 2018-02-13 15:04:54 Reply

At 2/13/18 01:23 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: Also wonder what the pig badge prize might be? A Butzbo badge?

The Pig badge is a physical badge from the Construct team, since they use a pig in a lot of their stuff.

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 59
Writer
Response to Construct 3 Jam & Site Updates 2018-02-13 16:10:47 Reply

At 2/13/18 03:04 PM, TomFulp wrote: The Pig badge is a physical badge from the Construct team, since they use a pig in a lot of their stuff.

Oh, glad I asked! XD Totally out of the loop here. Infographic should have been a strong clue I see now , but with earlier Butzbo reference and his apparent affinity for pigs... aaanyway good to know. Sounds like a fun little bonus/consolation prize.

Abracadabra123
Abracadabra123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Filmmaker
Response to Construct 3 Jam & Site Updates 2018-02-13 17:02:27 Reply

At 2/13/18 12:27 PM, TomFulp wrote:

Whaaaaaaaaaaat? Is this in Chrome? I've never seen anything like that on my end, sounds really off... Let me know what browser / OS you are using. Can you also confirm this is the URL:

https://www.construct.net/

If you have malware on your computer it could be hijacking browser links.

There's an antivirus plug-in in Chrome and Opera. I disabled it. Now I can access to the site without problems.

I'm not sure if it safe to disabled this plug-in.

Sorry.

MPPlantOfficial
MPPlantOfficial
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Construct 3 Jam & Site Updates 2018-02-13 17:53:43 Reply

Construct 3 FREE Edition: Max # of Events = 25

Families feature turned off

^Good luck trying to make a half decent game with that.

lwyzlwyz
lwyzlwyz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to Construct 3 Jam & Site Updates 2018-02-13 20:44:31 Reply

I'm liking the new layout so far but I'd like the option to hide the bar at the top(with the login and search).
If it's already possible, sorry for being a moron.

mr-johnson22
mr-johnson22
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Construct 3 Jam & Site Updates 2018-02-14 00:51:38 Reply

Great news all around!
Some feedback on the new page layout:

-For desktop, mouse-hover tooltips for the Flag/Share/Download/Playlist buttons would be nice. The "Add to Favourites" button still has a tooltip, interestingly enough.

-I'll second Cyberdevil's lament over the loss of the Collapse button! It was a convenient way to refresh games without having to refresh the page. It was also handy for quickly for muting a submission, which would be even more useful to have around now that credited AP submissions can be played in-page.

-Speaking of which, the playback bar on the bottom of the screen for credited AP music is great! It's so good that Audio Portal pages themselves should use it too. Having playback control persistently visible would be especially handy on mobile.

-Maybe I haven't played a game with medals in a while, but the on-page medal menu is really top-notch.

-For reviews, since the pencil button is used for both starting and cancelling a review, consider turning the button red or something when it's in "cancel mode".

-The popup that appears when clicking the Flag button always stays in the centre of the screen and can't be scrolled through, unlike the Share and Playlist popups that can be scrolled through. This is an issue on mobile where the Flag popup can easily be larger than the screen.

bucknike1
bucknike1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to Construct 3 Jam & Site Updates 2018-02-14 02:18:11 Reply

At 2/13/18 12:45 PM, TomFulp wrote: We are still moving towards a single vote bar per page (so you use the same system to score your review as you do to score the submission).

What will happen to the award "Underdog of the Week" then?

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to Construct 3 Jam & Site Updates 2018-02-14 05:10:31 Reply

At 2/14/18 02:18 AM, bucknike1 wrote:
At 2/13/18 12:45 PM, TomFulp wrote: We are still moving towards a single vote bar per page (so you use the same system to score your review as you do to score the submission).
What will happen to the award "Underdog of the Week" then?

Will likely be based on score vs views... Something that scored low and was still a success.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to Construct 3 Jam & Site Updates 2018-02-14 05:22:27 Reply

At 2/14/18 12:51 AM, mr-johnson22 wrote: Great news all around!
Some feedback on the new page layout:

-For desktop, mouse-hover tooltips for the Flag/Share/Download/Playlist buttons would be nice. The "Add to Favourites" button still has a tooltip, interestingly enough.

There was some reason this didn't happen at the get go, need to revisit it because they would be handy.

-I'll second Cyberdevil's lament over the loss of the Collapse button! It was a convenient way to refresh games without having to refresh the page. It was also handy for quickly for muting a submission, which would be even more useful to have around now that credited AP submissions can be played in-page.

Noting another vote to bring back the collapse button.

-Speaking of which, the playback bar on the bottom of the screen for credited AP music is great! It's so good that Audio Portal pages themselves should use it too. Having playback control persistently visible would be especially handy on mobile.

Will be exploring what we could do here... If both the waveform player and footer player would just run at the same time basically.

-Maybe I haven't played a game with medals in a while, but the on-page medal menu is really top-notch.

This works the same as before but we've removed the hidden SWF file from the page that was used as a bridge between games and the in-page javascript. It was used to make medals visually unlock without refreshing the page but only worked for Flash games vs HTML5 - we have a plan for a different way to do this that avoids the bridge file and works for all games.

-For reviews, since the pencil button is used for both starting and cancelling a review, consider turning the button red or something when it's in "cancel mode".

Goal is to actually ditch the pencil button completely and have the review form always visible (probably in a condensed form that expands when you click the text box).

-The popup that appears when clicking the Flag button always stays in the centre of the screen and can't be scrolled through, unlike the Share and Playlist popups that can be scrolled through. This is an issue on mobile where the Flag popup can easily be larger than the screen.

Good catch, noting! Everything in your reply was great feedback, thanks.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to Construct 3 Jam & Site Updates 2018-02-14 05:25:15 Reply

At 2/13/18 08:44 PM, lwyzlwyz wrote: I'm liking the new layout so far but I'd like the option to hide the bar at the top(with the login and search).

So I take it you're browsing on mobile and you don't like the vertical space taken up by the bar? Are you picturing that it just scrolls away when you scroll down the page? Are there specific pages where you feel like it gets in the way the most?

BBS Signature
Mia
Mia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Programmer
Response to Construct 3 Jam & Site Updates 2018-02-14 08:33:48 Reply

The site’s really getting extremely usable on my phone now, the age of watching old shitty cartoons I love on the go is coming true! Just the forums and profiles left really as far as what I’d be doing.

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to Construct 3 Jam & Site Updates 2018-02-14 08:54:19 Reply

At 2/14/18 08:33 AM, Mia wrote: The site’s really getting extremely usable on my phone now, the age of watching old shitty cartoons I love on the go is coming true! Just the forums and profiles left really as far as what I’d be doing.

Happy to hear! Profiles (user pages) are up next, then we still have forums, PMs, wiki, project system and some other odds and ends.

We also have lots of little improvements we still intend to make to existing mobile friendly pages, so everything should keep becoming more and more usable on the go.

BBS Signature
HerbieG
HerbieG
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Construct 3 Jam & Site Updates 2018-02-14 16:02:23 Reply

At 2/13/18 11:35 AM, TomFulp wrote:

Remember 2 more votes - Exedor's and mine - for bringing back the collapse button ;-)
I also noted another change that for me is a change for worse. It was much more convenient to start a PM directly from the game/movie page without having to open the author's page. On users' pages there are usually no ads so it does not bring more revenue for Newgrounds, but will only generate more traffic on the site if people will want to write to authors.

Equal medal chances for everyone!

lwyzlwyz
lwyzlwyz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate

At 2/14/18 05:25 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 2/13/18 08:44 PM, lwyzlwyz wrote: I'm liking the new layout so far but I'd like the option to hide the bar at the top(with the login and search).
So I take it you're browsing on mobile and you don't like the vertical space taken up by the bar? Are you picturing that it just scrolls away when you scroll down the page? Are there specific pages where you feel like it gets in the way the most?

Sorry for the late reply...
I'm actually on pc and yeah going away when I scroll down the page would be ideal(maybe as a togglable option to please everybody).
I find it gets a bit in the way on the video pages where I can just maneuver the screen to be able to view the video but not it's title or anything below.
This problem might be because my monitor is super old and cant do more than 1366x768...
p.s. - It's a problem mainly on firefox where I watch videos but not so much on chrome where I play games.

darksteel131
darksteel131
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Game Developer
Response to Construct 3 Jam & Site Updates 2018-02-15 03:14:30 Reply

Yeah Jam Fury was a newgrounds game? Cool!

Darkness
Can be seen through STEEL

Vote Darksteel131 for President

Wiesi
Wiesi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Construct 3 Jam & Site Updates 2018-02-15 05:44:05 Reply

Hmm that jam might be a good reason to end my creative break...

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 59
Writer
Response to Construct 3 Jam & Site Updates 2018-02-16 07:07:13 Reply

At 2/15/18 05:44 AM, Wiesi wrote: Hmm that jam might be a good reason to end my creative break...

Would definitely be fun to see some of those crazy creative Wiesi games hit the portal again! :D Been a while!

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Gamer
Response to Construct 3 Jam & Site Updates 2018-02-17 10:26:19 Reply

I'm getting a HTTP 403 error returned every time I enter a character into the search bar on the User of the Day Archive page. Anyone else having the same issue?

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature