Be a Supporter!

Afraid to Start...

  • 741 Views
  • 34 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Oddlem
Oddlem
  • Member since: Feb. 15, 2015
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Melancholy

...because of disappointment. For a long time, I've been wanting to start trying to make songs but I know (since I'm completely a beginner) that they're not going to turn out very great. So because of this, I'm too afraid to start trying to practice so that I can improve and make songs that don't sound like garbo.
How do I get over this? I know that in the art field, tons of people don't want to start drawing because they know that they're not going to look how they imagined them to look. I started when I was a kid so I wasn't self-aware of my bad work, so I have no clue how to get past this fear. ;;

So I want to ask this: for the musicians out there, what caused you to start making music (more specifically music involving synths)? Did you research about technicalities before you started, or just nose-dived right into things?


Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature
Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Member since: Feb. 6, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Musician
Response to Afraid to Start... 2018-02-11 15:22:18 Reply

just start making stuff man. everyone starts from somewhere


lel

BBS Signature
Oddlem
Oddlem
  • Member since: Feb. 15, 2015
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Melancholy
Response to Afraid to Start... 2018-02-11 15:56:46 Reply

At 2/11/18 03:22 PM, Sequenced wrote: just start making stuff man. everyone starts from somewhere

But see, that's what I'm asking about-- it's not that simple. x: How do I get past the fear of failure? I straight-up can't start making anything more than joke songs since I know that it's going to turn out badly.


Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature
Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Member since: Feb. 6, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Musician
Response to Afraid to Start... 2018-02-11 16:51:34 Reply

At 2/11/18 03:56 PM, Oddlem wrote:
At 2/11/18 03:22 PM, Sequenced wrote: just start making stuff man. everyone starts from somewhere
But see, that's what I'm asking about-- it's not that simple. x: How do I get past the fear of failure? I straight-up can't start making anything more than joke songs since I know that it's going to turn out badly.

you learn from failure.

i cant tell you how many fuckkn shit tracks i've made in the past 15 years :)


lel

BBS Signature
Oddlem
Oddlem
  • Member since: Feb. 15, 2015
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Melancholy
Response to Afraid to Start... 2018-02-11 17:01:00 Reply

At 2/11/18 04:51 PM, Sequenced wrote:
you learn from failure.

That's true. ;u; It's weird though, it's like I can't put my finger on the mouse and just fokin' click on the notes to make the song. I'll just sit there and stare at it for a million years. lol


Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature
DarkHorseOrchestra
DarkHorseOrchestra
  • Member since: May. 9, 2016
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Afraid to Start... 2018-02-11 19:14:42 Reply

Doubt/fear kills more dreams than failure ever will. Just go for it, it's better than thinking what if.. and you dont wanna start off late like I did and realize everyone else starting out the same time as you are all 10 years younger than you. Might as well hop on it now

CyborganicMusic
CyborganicMusic
  • Member since: Jan. 9, 2017
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Musician
Response to Afraid to Start... 2018-02-11 19:53:31 Reply

At 2/11/18 03:07 PM, Oddlem wrote: ...because of disappointment. For a long time, I've been wanting to start trying to make songs but I know (since I'm completely a beginner) that they're not going to turn out very great. So because of this, I'm too afraid to start trying to practice so that I can improve and make songs that don't sound like garbo.
How do I get over this? I know that in the art field, tons of people don't want to start drawing because they know that they're not going to look how they imagined them to look. I started when I was a kid so I wasn't self-aware of my bad work, so I have no clue how to get past this fear. ;;

So I want to ask this: for the musicians out there, what caused you to start making music (more specifically music involving synths)? Did you research about technicalities before you started, or just nose-dived right into things?

sometimes starting is the hardest part! personally i just dove right in. try to find tutorials on yt from artists whose music u like. and dont be afraid to make music that isnt as good as what u envision it to be every artist who u look up to went through the same thing, u just might not have heard their early work! :) try to set small goals for urself to reach theres only 1 way to get better and thats to put in the work. dont let ppl get u down if u work hard u can do it :)

HighBallers
HighBallers
  • Member since: Mar. 25, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Musician
Response to Afraid to Start... 2018-02-11 22:31:40 Reply

BRO.....YOU DON't need to be good at an instrument to write good music. SHIT, look at Kirk Cobain. Lousiest guitarist ever, but wrote the best fucking songs. Then you got dudes that can shred all day, but are totally lame at writing music. Just gotta have that creativity. If you understand the dynamics you want: soft, intense, happy, sad....etc. Then you can write a good song, thats all it takes, Brahther.

I0TA
I0TA
  • Member since: Dec. 21, 2016
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Afraid to Start... 2018-02-11 23:08:33 Reply

Don't plan, just go ahead and do it.


I have no one style.
- Oscar Peterson

Oddlem
Oddlem
  • Member since: Feb. 15, 2015
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Melancholy
Response to Afraid to Start... 2018-02-11 23:48:12 Reply

At 2/11/18 07:53 PM, CyborganicMusic wrote:
So I want to ask this: for the musicians out there, what caused you to start making music (more specifically music involving synths)? Did you research about technicalities before you started, or just nose-dived right into things?
sometimes starting is the hardest part! personally i just dove right in. try to find tutorials on yt from artists whose music u like. and dont be afraid to make music that isnt as good as what u envision it to be every artist who u look up to went through the same thing, u just might not have heard their early work! :)

Oooh yeah, tutorials are always nice. ;u; I'm not sure why I didn't think of those.
Also, I know that for art there's speedpaints so that others can see the process of advanced artists. Is there something like that for music? Are there advanced/famous EDM artists that stream themselves making music? :0

try to set small goals for urself

That's a good idea, baby steps are important. ovo


Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature
Qu4drupleForte
Qu4drupleForte
  • Member since: Aug. 2, 2016
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 03
Musician
Response to Afraid to Start... 2018-02-12 00:16:54 Reply

I'd recommend just focusing on finishing some pieces. In the early stages most of your pieces will likely be practice and nothing more. Lay an idea down in FL and then vary and develop it until you have a full piece, however long that may be. You may be disappointed with the quality, but you'll also be proud that you got it

Don't get too narrow-minded with your writing at first, you might - like all of us - hear a sound in your head but sometimes it just ain't possible and sometimes it's easier to deviate from that and write as it comes rather than to chase that internal sound. Again, just get stuff done.

Whilst doing this always be watching tutorials on the technical sides, making synths, some basic theory and structure; there are tons of YouTubers out there with really informative but entertaining tutorials that can help you, just be willing to learn and be patient.

CyborganicMusic
CyborganicMusic
  • Member since: Jan. 9, 2017
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Musician
Response to Afraid to Start... 2018-02-13 03:45:43 Reply

At 2/11/18 11:48 PM, Oddlem wrote:
At 2/11/18 07:53 PM, CyborganicMusic wrote:
So I want to ask this: for the musicians out there, what caused you to start making music (more specifically music involving synths)? Did you research about technicalities before you started, or just nose-dived right into things?
sometimes starting is the hardest part! personally i just dove right in. try to find tutorials on yt from artists whose music u like. and dont be afraid to make music that isnt as good as what u envision it to be every artist who u look up to went through the same thing, u just might not have heard their early work! :)
Oooh yeah, tutorials are always nice. ;u; I'm not sure why I didn't think of those.
Also, I know that for art there's speedpaints so that others can see the process of advanced artists. Is there something like that for music? Are there advanced/famous EDM artists that stream themselves making music? :0

try to set small goals for urself
That's a good idea, baby steps are important. ovo

yea there is a ton of great tutorials by artists who have releases on major labels! it depends on which style of music u like to make i recommend searching for some of ur personal favorites and seeing what u can find u might be surprised! also a great resource is a website called upsound artists put up walkthroughs showing how they made their songs on there. theres so many places to look but thats a great 1 to start with. a lot of ppl stream music making on twitch too :)

Hesiolite
Hesiolite
  • Member since: Aug. 15, 2016
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Audiophile
Response to Afraid to Start... 2018-02-13 09:13:33 Reply

At 2/11/18 03:07 PM, Oddlem wrote: ...because of disappointment. For a long time, I've been wanting to start trying to make songs but I know (since I'm completely a beginner) that they're not going to turn out very great. So because of this, I'm too afraid to start trying to practice so that I can improve and make songs that don't sound like garbo.
How do I get over this? I know that in the art field, tons of people don't want to start drawing because they know that they're not going to look how they imagined them to look. I started when I was a kid so I wasn't self-aware of my bad work, so I have no clue how to get past this fear. ;;

So I want to ask this: for the musicians out there, what caused you to start making music (more specifically music involving synths)? Did you research about technicalities before you started, or just nose-dived right into things?

Newgrounds is a place for people to learn.At the beggining of NG most things were not really good,but it's with time and users feedbacks that you get better and better.Don't be afraid to make something not great,you're a begginer it's normal. Just do it !, as we say.

Daru925
Daru925
  • Member since: Jan. 18, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Artist
Response to Afraid to Start... 2018-02-13 09:50:08 Reply

Pick up your destiny:

_You press Play on fruityloops and the whole universe is obliterated. You can't fail if there's noone to witness your failure!

_You get bullied by "random individuals from the internet (tm)" until you commit suicide, singled out, shamed, harrassed, and your name is forever remembered as "The loser who posted his/her first music online and kept doing it because its fun" on 1337SasuKevinxXxDarkSephiroth's userpage.

_No one cares, because you're just a grain of sand in the universe. Keep up.

_Some people like it, some dont. You get feedback, opinions, and maybe it motivates you! Do you like it, what's next?

_You don't have time for new art anymore, you're too busy going on tv/concert/cocktails/getting fat. Consequently, your next hit flops and you become bald like britney spears. Then you do some bad marriage and participate reality shows.

_Its just like drawing or any form of activity, you're never finished "getting there" there is always something to improve on. Take a deep breath.

_Even your mom likes it, genuinely!


Salut!
I create 3D art here, and you can listen to my album there! Comments/Feedback appreciated.
Merci! :)

BBS Signature
nitelini
nitelini
  • Member since: Aug. 9, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Afraid to Start... 2018-02-13 10:36:10 Reply

My advice, Fail on purpose, do some work to fail on purpose that way you don't get emotional attached to it, be abstract, where's the fear to fail if it is intended to fail from? Of course this process has to go along with some study of the subject, good luck with your work man, once you have something decent share it with no regrets ;D

Ghoti
Ghoti
  • Member since: May. 14, 2014
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Musician
Response to Afraid to Start... 2018-02-13 11:14:19 Reply

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago...

... the second best time is right now.


I carry your heart. I carry it in my heart.

BBS Signature
maladroitmeta4
maladroitmeta4
  • Member since: Feb. 11, 2018
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to Afraid to Start... 2018-02-13 15:03:28 Reply

I felt the same when I first started making music (early last year, '17). I had no clue how the Fl DAW functioned (still always learning), and it was a trial and error process from the start!

You're constantly learning new things and it takes failure to learn what sound you're looking for, and that's okay! Hey, I watch tutorials on youtube for sound synthesis if I feel at odds when trying to figure out how to get to a particular sound.

Just keep going at it and you'll soon see your progression from the start. ;) That's always fulfilling to see than nothing.


~tinkle hoy~

BBS Signature
CoolCatDaddio
CoolCatDaddio
  • Member since: Feb. 17, 2016
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Art Lover
Response to Afraid to Start... 2018-02-13 15:25:11 Reply

At 2/11/18 03:07 PM, Oddlem wrote: ...because of disappointment. For a long time, I've been wanting to start trying to make songs but I know (since I'm completely a beginner) that they're not going to turn out very great. So because of this, I'm too afraid to start trying to practice so that I can improve and make songs that don't sound like garbo.

Holy fuck my dude, I've been feeling like this for a longtime
but not only that, I've been just overwhelmed by all the FL studio synths and generators that I dont even know where to start

and jesus christ, dont get me started on finding the right drum kit

its all too much for a beginner I think

So I want to ask this: for the musicians out there, what caused you to start making music (more specifically music involving synths)?

oh shit, dude, I've been wanting to do synth music too
I keep putting music making off for when I find the right tutorial, but its been like a month since I was looking at FL studio stuff

hopefully we get something done eventually


You can lead a horse to water, but that horse is a actually a donkey and he wont listen to a word you say because he is rebellious

BBS Signature
Zhon
Zhon
  • Member since: Aug. 19, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Writer
Response to Afraid to Start... 2018-02-13 16:25:53 Reply

I've only made a couple of trash songs, but thought I'd chime in as an artist and writer. Also, disclaimer, I only read like 4 replies, so someone may have said something similar to this already.

If you hold onto the fear that people will dislike your music early on, you're going to fear that people will dislike your music forever, and it will cripple you. Even if you get "good" you will always feel like you are trash and never get any satisfaction out of it. The most important thing you can do if you want to actually produce quality content at any point in your life is to shift your mentality.

The best advice I can offer on how to do this is to simply not show anyone your first 10 tracks. Even your first 20. 30. However many it takes until you feel comfortable. Just make music because you like making music. Maybe show a couple of close friends. But don't thrive on feedback. Don't get me wrong, feedback is important for improving. But that obsession with feedback - that extrinsic motivation, the approval of others - will drive you into the ground.

maladroitmeta4
maladroitmeta4
  • Member since: Feb. 11, 2018
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to Afraid to Start... 2018-02-13 18:03:59 Reply

At 2/13/18 04:25 PM, Zhon wrote: I've only made a couple of trash songs, but thought I'd chime in as an artist and writer. Also, disclaimer, I only read like 4 replies, so someone may have said something similar to this already.

If you hold onto the fear that people will dislike your music early on, you're going to fear that people will dislike your music forever, and it will cripple you. Even if you get "good" you will always feel like you are trash and never get any satisfaction out of it. The most important thing you can do if you want to actually produce quality content at any point in your life is to shift your mentality.

The best advice I can offer on how to do this is to simply not show anyone your first 10 tracks. Even your first 20. 30. However many it takes until you feel comfortable. Just make music because you like making music. Maybe show a couple of close friends. But don't thrive on feedback. Don't get me wrong, feedback is important for improving. But that obsession with feedback - that extrinsic motivation, the approval of others - will drive you into the ground.

Agreed and beautifully said, especially when it came to extrinsic motivation in regard to creativity. The process of creativity and one's mind will flourish once self-motivated, then one is able to experience self-discovery to the fullest without having to root oneself to the inevitably of judgment. Relying on what you think other people might think will only damper your own potential.


~tinkle hoy~

BBS Signature
MPPlantOfficial
MPPlantOfficial
  • Member since: Jun. 16, 2016
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
BossWilderOfficial
BossWilderOfficial
  • Member since: May. 12, 2015
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 09
Musician
Response to Afraid to Start... 2018-02-15 23:14:24 (edited 2018-02-15 23:22:20) Reply

Pick a genre, youtube a tutorial.

Follow it.

You will get stuck on things you don't understand, google / youtube them.

Get your hands on plugins that are available to you that are used in the tutorials and learn at least the idea what they are for.

Continue the tutorial.

You will fail because of things you still dont understand, you gained experience in orienting yourself around your DAW, from what was said in the tutorail, and likely in making melodies and drum beats.

Youtube / google to learn about the things you didnt understand when trying to follow the tutorial.

Make up your mind that you are gonna make one damn song that least sounds a little like the genre you want to make.

Everytime you try you will find obstacles, things you dont understand. How do they make their synths sound so good? How do they put on those huge reverbs without fucking up the mix? (sidechain gating, EQ'ing reverb tail, saturation - Advanced topic save it for later lol).

You will quickly learn that you should EQ different elements in your song, make sure to really listen to the best practises of EQing and learn what kinds of instruments and sounds generally fit best in different frequency ranges.

Keep trying to make that damn song and follow tutorials. They will use EQ'ing, reverb, compression and different synth plugins these are the important things you want to get your head around while following these tutorials. ANything they are fiddling with is useful too, but dont burry yourself in that stuff.

You will start understanding song arrangements, melodies, how to create groves, rhythms, tension all kinds of things that make up a song.

You will keep failing because you dont understand things like "how do they make it sound so loud and awesome? What volume should I make this and that? How do I EQ it properly? Why does my exact same melody sound so lacking energy and emotion than the one justin bieber made?

Every single thing, the nearest obstacle aka the thing you dont understand, learn it.

And most important: FINISH YOUR SONGS. Even if you hate them and they soudn like garbage or not even a song, dont waste all your time on it but finish it. Learn how to produce and finish songs, not how to endlessly start new ones trust me on this. Otherwise you never get to practise the things that are needed in later stages of producing because you give up after only been making some midi patterns and beats and maybe a little bit of mixing and derping around with presets or sound engineering. When you finish your first arrangement you will notice that its still boring as hell. Because there is so incredibly many after touches you ideally will want to make to create your desired song. And tere you have it, more things you need and will want to learn that you wouldnt realize you need to learn if you never finish your tracks :) Now you get to practise them too, and tackle obstacle after obstacle as you finish song after song.

Ive been producing for 3 years and I learn new things every single time I make a track and there are still things in my "havent figured out" mental note basket.

I hope this helps, experimentation and creativity is the key but these are good principles to have, try not to get frustrated.

TheBetterAudioPortal
TheBetterAudioPortal
  • Member since: Nov. 11, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Musician
Response to Afraid to Start... 2018-02-19 12:02:50 Reply

Ok let me tell you how to get into music. Ok don't take yourself seriously, MATE don't take anything seriously. Load up your DAW. Make something completely shit. Laugh at how shit it is, it's funny how shit it is isn't it? Ok, now put actual effort into it, jk, make something shit again. Oh wow this is fun isn't it? Making things that sound like shit. Hang on, you're starting to learn how to actually make some sounds and sorta how to arrange music. Oh well, time to make another shit thing. Oh, this project is actually going somewhere. Heya, I just made this track, check it out! Oh, it has this and this wrong with it? Ok, I'll try to fix it, how is it now? It's better? Awesome!! Congrats, you got over your fear of failure and made a track.


p.s. ur gay

Oddlem
Oddlem
  • Member since: Feb. 15, 2015
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Melancholy
Response to Afraid to Start... 2018-02-19 13:09:41 (edited 2018-02-19 13:16:11) Reply

At 2/19/18 12:02 PM, TheBetterAudioPortal wrote: Ok let me tell you how to get into music. Ok don't take yourself seriously, MATE don't take anything seriously. Load up your DAW. Make something completely shit. Laugh at how shit it is, it's funny how shit it is isn't it? Ok, now put actual effort into it, jk, make something shit again.

At this point, I think I'm gonna start doing that (combined with some tutorials because I'm an insecure piece of garbo). It's like I'm unable to just sit my butt down on the seat and take anything I do seriously. lol
I want to try and find a balance between having fun and improving, and I think this is my best bet. .w. Plus, I'm pretty sure this is the equivalent to starting out drawing with MS Paint and that stuff's fun af.

At 2/15/18 11:14 PM, GalaxyUnknown wrote: Everytime you try you will find obstacles, things you dont understand. How do they make their synths sound so good? How do they put on those huge reverbs without fucking up the mix? (sidechain gating, EQ'ing reverb tail, saturation - Advanced topic save it for later lol).
Keep trying to make that damn song and follow tutorials. They will use EQ'ing, reverb, compression and different synth plugins these are the important things you want to get your head around while following these tutorials. ANything they are fiddling with is useful too, but dont burry yourself in that stuff.
Every single thing, the nearest obstacle aka the thing you dont understand, learn it.

And most important: FINISH YOUR SONGS. Even if you hate them and they soudn like garbage or not even a song, dont waste all your time on it but finish it. Learn how to produce and finish songs, not how to endlessly start new ones trust me on this. Otherwise you never get to practise the things that are needed in later stages of producing because you give up after only been making some midi patterns and beats and maybe a little bit of mixing and derping around with presets or sound engineering. When you finish your first arrangement you will notice that its still boring as hell. Because there is so incredibly many after touches you ideally will want to make to create your desired song. And tere you have it, more things you need and will want to learn that you wouldnt realize you need to learn if you never finish your tracks :) Now you get to practise them too, and tackle obstacle after obstacle as you finish song after song.
I hope this helps, experimentation and creativity is the key but these are good principles to have, try not to get frustrated.

Thank you so much! Also the point about finishing songs is really interesting to me. Sorry that I keep making comparisons to art (just that it's the closest way I can relate to this), but for fine art I was always told to never waste too much time on one art piece because learning gestures and anatomy is more important than learning technique (at least with subject focused art). So I guess it makes sense to spend more time finishing a song since hey, you don't have to spend extra time studying bones. .w.
Also should I still really just stick to one genre? I feel like I want to experiment with a bunch of different things at the same time, though I feel like that'll backfire. ;u;


Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature
BossWilderOfficial
BossWilderOfficial
  • Member since: May. 12, 2015
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 09
Musician
Response to Afraid to Start... 2018-02-20 18:48:15 Reply

At 2/19/18 01:09 PM, Oddlem wrote:
Also should I still really just stick to one genre? I feel like I want to experiment with a bunch of different things at the same time, though I feel like that'll backfire. ;u;

You dont need to stick to one genre, you can even combine genres if thats what you want. I just meant to start with so you have something concrete in front of you.

JonZero
JonZero
  • Member since: Jul. 18, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Afraid to Start... 2018-02-23 15:03:19 Reply

yo i hate posts like this just fucking do it. open up FL or whatever you use and just make a note come back to it tomorrow or the next day or whatever... sooner or later you'll have a song and learned more tricks along the way but stop looking for motivation on NG forums and just smoke some weed or something...

xendraven
xendraven
  • Member since: Jan. 11, 2018
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Musician
Response to Afraid to Start... 2018-02-23 16:33:58 Reply

I'm going to follow you. Don't be afraid to create. I'm new here too.

The more you do it the easier it becomes and you might even get a following. I started out on youtube and over time more people subscribed to me. It's a nice feeling knowing people like what you make.

Good luck!

Afraid to Start...

Oddlem
Oddlem
  • Member since: Feb. 15, 2015
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Melancholy
Response to Afraid to Start... 2018-02-23 19:35:22 (edited 2018-02-23 19:45:21) Reply

At 2/23/18 03:03 PM, JonZero wrote: yo i hate posts like this just fucking do it.

For one thing, I wasn't asking how to do it. If you noticed, I ended with a question asking what others did so that it wouldn't be redundant and so that it would prompt discussion. Not only that, but you're about the 10th person telling me this exact same thing. I understand completely how annoying it is to ask something like that, it's like someone in the art forum asking "hey, what art program do I start with." I do also appreciate you talking your time to reply but man, I get it.


Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature
Bones
Bones
  • Member since: Jan. 3, 2014
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to Afraid to Start... 2018-02-24 11:24:02 Reply

Better start now than never. You'll progress over time. I didn't put much audio out but the stuff I've uploaded was made by mw just simply recording my guitar and amp with a cheap microphone


BBS Signature
ZipZipper
ZipZipper
  • Member since: Aug. 26, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 14
Musician
Response to Afraid to Start... 2018-02-24 12:40:20 Reply

You wanna know what I did? I was fcking gay.

Butt then I went on the internet. And saw that 500% of it was going to hate on me [and the gay voice I still use in my work today] by default.

And then I started posting some really gay shit and discovered more knowledge from there. Here's a trick though: a lot of people think growth is through a singular form of 'I know this is what I want and all that I'm doing now is for getting better at just that'...but you also grow by realizing what you don't want and what you wanna change about what you thought you wanted before.

Each doubt you go through will be different...but you'll eventually get through them, whether it's from NG yelling at you or your own circumstances pushing you to just move already.

*self cries*

BBS Signature