CoolCatDaddio
CoolCatDaddio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Art Lover
Cutting out video games 2018-01-31 22:03:48 Reply

a mere month ago, I cut my hours down to 0.0
ZERO I had my time to fucking zero. I was getting so much work done, my art was improving, I felt alot more complete with my life...

but now im back to square one, and im struggling.
I told myself today was going to be a no video game day, but I spent about 3 hours today and I couldnt stop myself

jesus christ, I never see anyone talk about how hard it is to just stop playing video games and do something more productive, but I legit think its a real issue
just the other day, my haircut lady told me she divorced her husband because he wouldn't stop playing video games and get a job
I dont want to be that guy

im not going to stop with the vidya completely, but I want my hours way down...

wish me luck lads........................

Cutting out video games

You can lead a horse to water, but that horse is a actually a donkey and he wont listen to a word you say because he is rebellious

BBS Signature
Atlas
Atlas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 24
Musician
Response to Cutting out video games 2018-01-31 22:29:13 Reply

Three hours of playing video games over a month span, even if it was all in one day, doesn't seem that bad.

Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature
YellowisCOOL
YellowisCOOL
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Cutting out video games 2018-01-31 23:33:14 Reply

Instead of cutting out video games completely, you could try limiting yourself to an hour or 30 minutes a day?

Steam || Leave your stupid comments in your pocket

BBS Signature
CoolCatDaddio
CoolCatDaddio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Art Lover
Response to Cutting out video games 2018-01-31 23:42:37 Reply

At 1/31/18 11:33 PM, YellowisCOOL wrote: Instead of cutting out video games completely, you could try limiting yourself to an hour or 30 minutes a day?
At 1/31/18 10:29 PM, Atlas wrote: Three hours of playing video games over a month span, even if it was all in one day, doesn't seem that bad.

issue is, I cant seem to keep the amount low per day
which is why im being more drastic about it

You can lead a horse to water, but that horse is a actually a donkey and he wont listen to a word you say because he is rebellious

BBS Signature
Atlas
Atlas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 24
Musician
Response to Cutting out video games 2018-01-31 23:56:52 Reply

At 1/31/18 11:42 PM, CoolCatDaddio wrote: issue is, I cant seem to keep the amount low per day
which is why im being more drastic about it

If you're a console gamer sell your stuff and if you're a PC guy uninstall all your stuff. It'll be harder to play games if you don't have any.

Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature
Painbringer
Painbringer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Animator
Response to Cutting out video games 2018-02-01 00:32:36 Reply

At 1/31/18 11:33 PM, YellowisCOOL wrote: Instead of cutting out video games completely, you could try limiting yourself to an hour or 30 minutes a day?

30 minutes of gaming feels more like 5-10 minutes of real life.

TheQuietGamer
TheQuietGamer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Gamer
Response to Cutting out video games 2018-02-01 00:35:31 (edited 2018-02-01 00:37:02) Reply

You could get a job. That will burn through most of the day and is productive.

"Everybody deals with grief differently. Some people fuck at funerals. I cut off heads."
Be the change you want to see.
J'ai aime. J'ai souffert. Maintenant je hais.

BBS Signature
Ultramartyr
Ultramartyr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Cutting out video games 2018-02-01 01:03:28 Reply

welcome to First World Problems, The Thread

Newest track: Savant - Upbeat Melodic Metal - Frontpaged!

BBS Signature
CoolCatDaddio
CoolCatDaddio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Art Lover
Response to Cutting out video games 2018-02-01 01:04:32 Reply

At 2/1/18 01:03 AM, Ultramartyr wrote: welcome to First World Problems, The Thread

we live in a first world....
so whats the issue?

BBS Signature
CoolCatDaddio
CoolCatDaddio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Art Lover
Response to Cutting out video games 2018-02-01 01:11:36 Reply

At 1/31/18 11:56 PM, Atlas wrote: If you're a console gamer sell your stuff and if you're a PC guy uninstall all your stuff. It'll be harder to play games if you don't have any.

too extreme, I want to enjoy them at a later point in life, but I just want to see if I have an actual problem not touching anything for the two weeks for my steam hours to reset

BBS Signature
Ultramartyr
Ultramartyr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Cutting out video games 2018-02-01 02:00:01 Reply

At 2/1/18 01:04 AM, CoolCatDaddio wrote:
At 2/1/18 01:03 AM, Ultramartyr wrote: welcome to First World Problems, The Thread
we live in a first world....
so whats the issue?

i was incinuating that this issue you have is the most minor of minor issues. if you're worried that you play video games too much, stop. this thread reminded me that the World Health Organization is claiming that video game addiction is a mental illness. what a farce.

BBS Signature
NeonSpider
NeonSpider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Cutting out video games 2018-02-01 02:50:10 Reply

Video games are productive though, as long as you're playing the right games!

Play this uninspired mindless copycat grind garbage? Play any pay-to-win garbage? Playing games that are just way too easy because modern-day "gamers" can't stand any sort of challenge whatsoever? Playing games that require you play them every day or on certain days due to game penalties if you don't and/or gaming guilds that require it? Yeah quit playing garbage games. That's your problem.

Done right, playing video games can make you *more* productive, not less. But you need good taste in games.

Video games can
- Improve your memory
- Improve your reaction time
- Improve your quick-thinking abilities
- Improve your abstract-thinking abilities
- Improve your math skills, including logic skills
- Teach you something
- Improve your patience

But you have to pick good games!

You then can take these skills and literally apply them to whatever else it is you want to do.

boomstick
boomstick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to Cutting out video games 2018-02-01 05:15:08 Reply

At 2/1/18 12:35 AM, TheQuietGamer wrote: You could get a job. That will burn through most of the day and is productive.

stop reminding me that I spend less time at home than I do at my job/s

I HДVЗИ'T ЭДTЗЙ SLICЭD ЬЯЗДD SIИCЭ I ШДS TЩЗLVЭ

BBS Signature
MiroDK
MiroDK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Programmer
Response to Cutting out video games 2018-02-01 07:43:28 Reply

Play games that you can set milestones or something, for example:

-Stardew Valley: Play 1-2 days
-Xenonauts/XCOM: Play 1-2 missions
-Pretty much any turn based game so you can limit yourself to x number of turns

The most important thing is creating a set routine of work/play so you can control yourself more naturally and also being 'true to yourself', as cliché as that sounds, you need to realize when you're making up excuses to yourself.

Also, you're probably dealing with procastination, not an addiction to video games, so maybe look up more things about that. There's no point in cutting V.G. time down to 1hr if you're staring into a wall for the rest of your time.

DanishTheManish
DanishTheManish
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 09
Gamer
Response to Cutting out video games 2018-02-01 13:34:03 Reply

Honestly I've been unable to play most games recently because I've pretty much burnt myself out on them.
Though I've been having fun playing Dead Rising on the Wii.

Painbringer
Painbringer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Animator
Response to Cutting out video games 2018-02-01 14:27:26 Reply

Take @FUNKbrs' advice and go blind.

Or start playing games you're not really into and move on to more interesting stuff IRL.

argile
argile
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Cutting out video games 2018-02-01 14:57:27 Reply

I honestly think that I would grow detached to reality and life ,if all I did every moment of everyday was focus on was movies,music and video games. I kind of wished I was more into reading as a child actually since i'd be allowing my mind develop rather than wait for a later part of my life realizing I had wasted all my time. I can deal with not playing video games for a couple/few weeks at time because I'm not really obsessed with it 8 years ago with as I were in my childhood.

Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Reader
Response to Cutting out video games 2018-02-01 15:05:10 Reply

Just embrace it. The games are your life now.

At 2/1/18 12:35 AM, TheQuietGamer wrote: You could get a job. That will burn through most of the day and is productive.

a job is productive

debatable

NG Reading ThreadMonthly Book Club • Enlist in the Elite Guard today!

BBS Signature
CoolCatDaddio
CoolCatDaddio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Art Lover
Response to Cutting out video games 2018-02-01 16:20:30 Reply

At 2/1/18 02:00 AM, Ultramartyr wrote: i was incinuating that this issue you have is the most minor of minor issues. if you're worried that you play video games too much, stop.

wow gee wiz, never thought of that... but seriously, I've tried to focus on getting some projects done, but I kept getting sidetracked by them

this thread reminded me that the World Health Organization is claiming that video game addiction is a mental illness. what a farce.

thats just silly, I think theres an addiction problem, but mental illness is taking it too far

BBS Signature
CoolCatDaddio
CoolCatDaddio
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Art Lover
Response to Cutting out video games 2018-02-01 16:22:23 Reply

At 2/1/18 07:43 AM, MiroDK wrote: Play games that you can set milestones or something, for example:

-Stardew Valley: Play 1-2 days
-Xenonauts/XCOM: Play 1-2 missions
-Pretty much any turn based game so you can limit yourself to x number of turns

The most important thing is creating a set routine of work/play so you can control yourself more naturally and also being 'true to yourself', as cliché as that sounds, you need to realize when you're making up excuses to yourself.

tried that with endless space 2...
I always go over my set turn limit, so I just stopped playing that game

Also, you're probably dealing with procastination, not an addiction to video games, so maybe look up more things about that. There's no point in cutting V.G. time down to 1hr if you're staring into a wall for the rest of your time.

I have art projects I want to finish, but always get sidetracked with games

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Movie Buff
Response to Cutting out video games 2018-02-02 07:48:08 Reply

Well, if spending less time on video games makes you feel better then: go for it!

But man, don't get all stressed out about 'being productive'. There's more to life than work, and spending 3 hours per day on leisure is really not all that much. Heck, if anything, it sounds like you're pushing yourself a little too hard.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 2 May 2018)

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 59
Writer
Response to Cutting out video games 2018-02-05 08:45:28 Reply

I know how that is! Eventually if you just have too much going on there's just no time for gaming though, and habits fall away... wish it was easy to just play a little now and again, but once you get into it it really is hard to stop. It seems to go in waves for me.

Anyway, good luck! Even without insanely busy days there's always straight up willpower to fix this.

XwaynecoltX
XwaynecoltX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Cutting out video games 2018-02-05 15:41:08 Reply

Ouch yo 0.0 is a bit harsh but there are always more important things in life I can imagine

~X~

ultraemo
ultraemo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Game Developer
Response to Cutting out video games 2018-02-05 18:44:12 Reply

There was a time when I cut out video games. I said to myself that if I worked hard at college and kept into work and away from video games then there would be a time where I would have alot of time playing video games. It did test my patience having to wait but I stayed that it.

... but you'll need to treat yourself sometimes. Like give yourself a session once a day and that's it because you've worked hard during the week.

Yeah, or this also.

Spedmallet
Spedmallet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Artist
Response to Cutting out video games 2018-02-05 19:42:23 Reply

At 2/5/18 06:44 PM, ultraemo wrote: ... but you'll need to treat yourself sometimes. Like give yourself a session once a day and that's it because you've worked hard during the week.

yeah, but what do if all-or-nothing compulsive type

srs I can't even get a large bag of chips without eating the entire thing in one day. The only solution I had was to just never get them.

what you think people in bigly shitholes don't waste their fucking time retard. Way to make a first world passive aggressive observation retard

At 1/31/18 10:29 PM, Atlas wrote: Three hours of playing video games over a month span, even if it was all in one day, doesn't seem that bad.

it is if you're, say, an artist looking to do creative work and/or improvement on the side. Or if you're a parent with one or more kids. Or if you're maintaining a social life. Or if your job is beyond 40 hours a week. Or if you're seeking/in need of a better life opportunity.

At 1/31/18 10:03 PM, CoolCatDaddio wrote: a mere month ago, I cut my hours down to 0.0
ZERO I had my time to fucking zero. I was getting so much work done, my art was improving, I felt alot more complete with my life...

It's all so very complicated. I tried to do the same thing and cut out the vidya out of my life. I've stopped playing MMOs which is good, but I find myself still wasting time in TF2 yelling at retarded diaper snipers.

Dr. Spedmund McMallet

BBS Signature
Ultramartyr
Ultramartyr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Cutting out video games 2018-02-06 22:30:12 Reply

At 2/5/18 07:42 PM, Spedmallet wrote:
what you think people in bigly shitholes don't waste their fucking time retard. Way to make a first world passive aggressive observation retard

awww, triggered much?

BBS Signature
augustana
augustana
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Art Lover
Response to Cutting out video games 2018-02-06 23:53:33 Reply

At 2/1/18 12:32 AM, Painbringer wrote:
30 minutes of gaming feels more like 5-10 minutes of real life.

lmao what

Spedmallet
Spedmallet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Artist
Response to Cutting out video games 2018-02-07 08:11:19 Reply

At 2/6/18 10:30 PM, Ultramartyr wrote: awww, triggered much?

what the fuck did you just fucking say to me retard

Dr. Spedmund McMallet

BBS Signature
Ultramartyr
Ultramartyr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Cutting out video games 2018-02-07 08:42:43 Reply

At 2/7/18 08:11 AM, Spedmallet wrote:

here, i bought this for you. it's specially formulated so it doesn't make babies cry.

Cutting out video games

BBS Signature
Spedmallet
Spedmallet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Artist
Response to Cutting out video games 2018-02-07 08:54:12 Reply

At 2/7/18 08:42 AM, Ultramartyr wrote:
At 2/7/18 08:11 AM, Spedmallet wrote:
here, i bought this for you. it's specially formulated so it doesn't make babies cry.

how dare you say that to me over the internet you little bitch

Dr. Spedmund McMallet

BBS Signature