00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MutantZulu81241 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Will video games go out of style?

2,400 Views | 34 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Will video games go out of style? 2018-01-21 10:50:02

Compared to other media such as movies and literature, Video Games are a relatively recent. As far as I know, they are still going strong with developers and publishers making millions. However, do you suppose there comes a time when nobody wants to buy video games anymore and they would fall out of mainstream? Of course I could foresee video games still going strong decades into the future but who can tell...

Response to Will video games go out of style? 2018-01-21 10:57:29

They will change, for sure. They have changed over the years (not only graphics, but topics as well) and they will continue to change, for example there will be more games whwere controls are minimal, but a good story is been told (like Telltale Games). But I doubt that they will ever go out of style.

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Response to Will video games go out of style? 2018-01-21 15:55:37

At 1/21/18 10:57 AM, Haggard wrote: They will change, for sure. They have changed over the years (not only graphics, but topics as well) and they will continue to change, for example there will be more games whwere controls are minimal, but a good story is been told (like Telltale Games). But I doubt that they will ever go out of style.

I totally agree with you!

Alien Hominid rocks, and no one can say that it's false!

Response to Will video games go out of style? 2018-01-24 00:56:57

Lol are you crazy they have not got old in ages it's a good form of entertaining times they won't get tirsom

~X~

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

[] The Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] COMIC >> WAYNES WORLD

BBS Signature

Response to Will video games go out of style? 2018-01-24 15:55:09

Radio will make a comeback and usurp all other art forms. You'll see.

Response to Will video games go out of style? 2018-01-24 19:24:13

I doubt it, the whole industry will change for sure, but I don't think they are going to go out of style.

Happy Posting!

BBS Signature

Response to Will video games go out of style? 2018-01-24 19:46:11

Maybe treadmill VR systems will soon replace traditional sports and (combat) simulation games.

But I still see traditional 2D and low polygon 3D sticking around as indie games.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Will video games go out of style? 2018-01-24 19:56:23

I'm expecting things to go VR, just because VR has been trying to happen for about 30 years now, and it's just now feasible and fun.

music producer freebies // Januarylist // Februarylist // Take My Cymbals // Get ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

Response to Will video games go out of style? 2018-01-25 02:01:57

At 1/24/18 07:46 PM, Painbringer wrote: Maybe treadmill VR systems will soon replace traditional sports and (combat) simulation games.

But I still see traditional 2D and low polygon 3D sticking around as indie games.

the indie games of 2518 are going to look like real life, and the AAA games of 2518 will be real life

Newest track: Savant - Upbeat Melodic Metal - Frontpaged!

BBS Signature

Response to Will video games go out of style? 2018-01-25 11:30:28

Didn’t they say that in the late 80’s and early 90’s?

Economics aside, video gaming as a whole has multiple advantages that keeps them from being irrelevant any time soon. Even with VR, a lot of it involves video gaming in some form. Styles and genres may change, but as long as there is a controller and/or video game mechanics in VR, video games aren’t going away.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Will video games go out of style? 2018-01-25 12:51:31

Of all media, I think video games are the most volatile due to being the most recent, but if anything is increasing turbulence it's the efforts of the little guy to make it into the mainstream (ie. YouTubers competing with television, unsigned musicians reaching large audiences, or independent games like Undertale and Cuphead blowing up.) Gaming isn't going to disappear, but what happens to it will largely depend on whether or not big business is able to shut down competition, and what we as the audience show a preference to. It already bothers me that superhero movies, homogeneous pop music, and Madden games are as successful as they are despite being so formulaic.

Do I think games are going to go out of style? No, but I think there's a looming threat to innovation - both in games and other art forms. Take these old Nintendo cartridges, for example. Actual sonar? Glucose monitor? Infrared? Solar panel? I get that digital downloads physically can't provide the same kind of originality, but seeing something different is becoming increasingly rare - which is probably why a game like Five Nights at Freddy's was instantly followed by a shitload of sequels and copycats.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to Will video games go out of style? 2018-01-25 17:38:30

I like the path we are going with video games, I don't like the VR we have at the moment though. Just my opinion though.

Response to Will video games go out of style? 2018-01-25 18:12:05

I doubt it. WAAAY too much revenue. Video games are going to be around for a LONG time. Even though VR may possibly take over. I really hope it doesn't. I don't want to stick a ring up my nose to play Diablo 3.

Unless they have emulators....

Noggleton is so cool lol

BBS Signature

Response to Will video games go out of style? 2018-01-25 22:23:55

At 1/25/18 05:38 PM, TheGoodGentleman wrote: I like the path we are going with video games, I don't like the VR we have at the moment though. Just my opinion though.

well, baby steps. It's not like we can create a holodeck on the spot and live out every fantasy.

and I'm glad games are dominating more, when almost 10 years ago mobile "games" were going to weaken the video game market.

I HДVЗИ'T ЭДTЗЙ SLICЭD ЬЯЗДD SIИCЭ I ШДS TЩЗLVЭ

BBS Signature

At 1/25/18 12:51 PM, Kwing wrote: Gaming isn't going to disappear, but what happens to it will largely depend on whether or not big business is able to shut down competition, and what we as the audience show a preference to.

In some ways, we see that with the massive amount of turnover and closures with well-known and respected developers, and while it certainly stinks, most are able to form new ones (both from an indie level and otherwise) relatively quickly. As for the audience, there are so many different games out there, you’re bound to find something that you’ll like and games of their ilk.

It already bothers me that superhero movies, homogeneous pop music, and Madden games are as successful as they are despite being so formulaic.

Probably because people like them, it’s really that simple. The beautiful thing about video games is that there is more than enough for all of us if you’re willing to look. This is exactly why the argument of games not being “innovative” and “risk-taking” are mostly red herrings and are often code for jealous fans who don’t realize that their games aren’t as popular as they may think, even when they are highly rated and have sizable fan bases on their own.

Maybe we just got too spoiled when high-quality games meet with multi-million dollar sales with the biggest franchises, and even the most niche game can sell hundreds of thousands of copies or downloads. I don’t know if that’s honestly sustancial in the future, but the argument that games were declining or even dying was proven to be untrue.

Do I think games are going to go out of style? No, but I think there's a looming threat to innovation - both in games and other art forms. Take these old Nintendo cartridges, for example. Actual sonar? Glucose monitor? Infrared? Solar panel? I get that digital downloads physically can't provide the same kind of originality,

You do realize that a lot of those things were gimmicky at best, and in a time where quality control was all over the spectrum, and didn’t know what they had at the time, for better or worse.

but seeing something different is becoming increasingly rare - which is probably why a game like Five Nights at Freddy's was instantly followed by a shitload of sequels and copycats.

Ehh, originality and innovation are completely subjective. Not to mention that they become nothing more than buzzwords to heap praise on something, even when the product isn’t that good. I don’t support the “quality by popular vote” theory, but most consumers aren’t always gullible or simple-minded either.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Will video games go out of style? 2018-01-27 13:10:02

I doubt it if anything its more popular than ever before

Though I wouldnt mind it being a niche again

Sig by @Brokendeck

BBS Signature

Response to Will video games go out of style? 2018-01-27 18:26:48

At 1/24/18 07:56 PM, ADR3-N wrote: I'm expecting things to go VR, just because VR has been trying to happen for about 30 years now, and it's just now feasible and fun.

VR won't ever replace flatscreen gaming, it's a different format entirely that requires a completely different kind of game design and more investment on the player's end. First person shooters are completely different in VR vs when playing on a screen, and that's probably the easiest genre to adapt over.

I have a lot of faith in VR getting better with time but it's almost a separate industry. Expecting it to dethrone TV games is like expecting comic books to render novels obsolete. It's not the end goal in the evolution of gaming but just a separate branch, an alternate way to do it.

Response to Will video games go out of style? 2018-01-28 04:58:15

This reminds me of a situation I faced in university, I'm a media student and my uni decided to remove media completely (mind you even photoshop classes cause cloud computing is better in their opinion) and I was told that what I'm pursuing is something that's dying.

Funnily enough, UK was recognized as a fast game developing country of 2017 and mind you my degree is a dual degree and its partly UK. I just smiled and continued on finishing my course (still am in my last semester) and negativity aside, I absolutely love the idea of creatively expressing your imagination in a form of a game. I have yet alot to learn about the makings and what not of it but I don't think it is an industry that could just die out. Beside, my childhood evolved around playing games so I have alot to thank TellTale, Naughty dog, Ubisoft, Square Enix (actually square soft :P), EA and countless others :)

Now, I'm not saying in favor of the industry just because I'm pursuing it but because we all have encounter the basics of it like gamification in our daily lives. We set small goals and reward ourselves and that by right is gamification in a nutshell.

However, yes the game industry is evolving. I recently read about how VR is being combined with fitness (hint: gamifying fitness ;) and who wouldn't want to do it then?)

So, no I don't think video games are gonna go out of style :)

Response to Will video games go out of style? 2018-01-29 07:00:33

Perhaps they might. We may never know.
It does seem that they are overtaking films for the most consumed piece of visual media out there though.

At 1/24/18 03:55 PM, Jackho wrote: Radio will make a comeback and usurp all other art forms. You'll see.

Are you talking radio serials? I'd totally be down for that!

Response to Will video games go out of style? 2018-02-02 15:57:29

I'd hope not, as stupid as it may sound, I think that video games should be considered a modern art-form. Many people are extremely passionate about video games and would dread the day that they die out. So, to answer your question, I personally think that video games should never go out of style.

Sure. I mean, just like all other forms of entertainment and creation, it'll probably die off eventually.

Poetry used to be huge at one point. Now poetry is obscure as hell and has an "angsty teenager" stigma which I think draws alot of people away from it.

"It's called consolidation; strengthen governments and corporations, weaken individuals."

I also draw stuff. Here's some of it.

BBS Signature

Response to Will video games go out of style? 2018-03-27 22:30:22

No way, they'll continue to adapt and create new systems and mobile versions of games for everyone to enjoy.

BBS Signature

Response to Will video games go out of style? 2018-03-29 05:24:32

At 2/2/18 10:18 PM, YonusBahtzee wrote: Sure. I mean, just like all other forms of entertainment and creation, it'll probably die off eventually.

Poetry used to be huge at one point. Now poetry is obscure as hell and has an "angsty teenager" stigma which I think draws alot of people away from it.

At what point in time was poetry ever huge, and not merely niche? Just asking.

Because, while I don't doubt there existed at some point particular literary societies, and perhaps poetry would be popular among some of those subcultures, yet I doubt this was ever mainstream.

Is the illiterate farmhand going to want to do poetry stuff, or is he more interested in farm type stuff? What about people who lived in tribes? Are they going to be interested in this poetry stuff or are they more interested in who is a better hunter?

It's only in relatively modern times that literacy has even reached the masses anyway, so even being able to read at all would have been niche the farther you go back in history. For most of human history, the masses did not read.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Will video games go out of style? 2018-04-14 11:33:13

At 1/24/18 12:56 AM, XwaynecoltX wrote: Lol are you crazy they have not got old in ages it's a good form of entertaining times they won't get tirsom

~X~

I concur. The way we play will change.

Response to Will video games go out of style? 2018-04-18 10:49:34

That sounds crazy to me, like suggesting that cinema or literature will go out of style. Sure, new forms of entertainment might arise, but video games won't go anywhere.

Although not a follower of [hseroK divaD], she's a devoted Branch Davidian.

Response to Will video games go out of style? 2018-04-18 15:44:32

Interesting question.

First I think, they would become so realistic they would be called something else like a simulator.

But what about fun wacky games? They could become trip simulators to make people feel high.

Response to Will video games go out of style? 2018-04-23 18:34:22

At 4/14/18 01:35 PM, NextBestThing wrote: No way. Video Games is here to stay.

YEAH

null

BBS Signature

Response to Will video games go out of style? 2018-04-24 23:11:32

They won't be called games at a certain point and will be referred to as Virtual Experiences.

BBS Signature

Response to Will video games go out of style? 2018-04-25 12:29:25

At 4/24/18 11:11 PM, OPFX wrote: They won't be called games at a certain point and will be referred to as Virtual Experiences.

So basically instead of consoles like now, we'll have virtual game systems?