00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mangoneNG just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Sega fanboys

4,681 Views | 62 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Sega fanboys 2018-01-16 22:40:46

Admit it. The Sega Genesis sucked compared to the SNES or even NES. The hardware may have had whatever advantages it supposedly had, but if you look at the actual games they were across-the-board inferior.

In cases where a game existed on both SNES and Genesis, the SNES version was always the good version with the sole exception of Mortal Kombat. Most times the Genesis version outright sucked. Other than Moral Kombat, there's a few games that were on par, but never better than the SNES version. Even in cases where the NES and Genesis had the same game, the NES version was superior.

If we look at exclusives, most of the Genesis exclusives sucked or were mediocre at best, whereas the SNES exclusives were some of the best most iconic games of all time.

Even the Genesis flagship game Sonic the Hedgehog was just mediocre at best, and actually a quite boring and overly-long game. Here Sonic can only walk and jump and do a lame spinball attack whereas Mario had all kinds of things he could do by that point. Sonic the Hedgehog can't compete with even the original Super Mario Bros, much less games like Super Mario World it was laughably trying to compete with at the time.

If you look at Sega's advertisements they are some of the cringiest aimed at try-hard wannabe "bad" kids and constantly badmouthed Nintendo. Meanwhile Nintendo's advertisements of the time just showcased awesome gameplay and didn't bother to even acknowledge the inferior existence of the Sega Genesis. They didn't need to. They could compete based on far better actually good games.

In before a thousand Sega fanboys tell me I'm wrong and everyone else knows it's the truth.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Sega fanboys 2018-01-17 03:42:24

At 1/16/18 10:40 PM, NeonSpider wrote: In before a thousand Sega fanboys tell me I'm wrong and everyone else knows it's the truth.

Have I just woke up in the early 90s?

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to Sega fanboys 2018-01-17 16:03:03

At 1/16/18 10:40 PM, NeonSpider wrote: In before a thousand Sega fanboys tell me I'm wrong and everyone else knows it's the truth.

More like everyone says you're late to the party champ, lol.

Response to Sega fanboys 2018-01-17 17:39:46

At 1/16/18 10:40 PM, NeonSpider wrote: In cases where a game existed on both SNES and Genesis, the SNES version was always the good version with the sole exception of Mortal Kombat.

What about Aladdin?

Oh, and Jurassic Park.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Sega fanboys 2018-01-17 18:20:39

At 1/17/18 05:39 PM, Painbringer wrote:
At 1/16/18 10:40 PM, NeonSpider wrote: In cases where a game existed on both SNES and Genesis, the SNES version was always the good version with the sole exception of Mortal Kombat.
What about Aladdin?

Oh, and Jurassic Park.

Aladdin on Genesis and SNES are entirely different games that have zero to do with each other. Same with both Jurassic Park Genesis games, both SNES Jurassic Park games, and the NES Jurassic Park game.

Clearly, rather than trying to be the same game, these are just entirely different games and should be treated as such.

That being said, the Genesis Aladdin is a decent game. I didn't say all Genesis games sucked, just a good amount of them do. I still prefer the SNES Aladdin though.

The Genesis Jurassic Park games just aren't that fun to me. NES Jurassic Park is an amazing game. SNES Jurassic Park is a decent game but takes way too long to get through (literally hours and all in one sitting, no save ability). SNES Jurassic Park Part II the Chaos Continues is a truly amazing game everyone should play at least once.

Response to Sega fanboys 2018-01-18 13:24:46

Oh man, this has got to be some hilarious bait. No one can actually think this. Just for the hell of it, 'cause I'm bored, I'll break down everything wrong with this.

At 1/16/18 10:40 PM, NeonSpider wrote: Admit it. The Sega Genesis sucked compared to the SNES or even NES. The hardware may have had whatever advantages it supposedly had, but if you look at the actual games they were across-the-board inferior.
Says the NES & SNES always has better games
Titles the thread as "Sega Fanboys"

This is friggin' adorable, seriously. Like out of everything you've said in this post this kills me. You even have the smug emote next to it like this has gotta be self-aware. No one can be that blind of a Nintendo fanboy, right?
This sounds like one of those fanboys that claim anything remotely different is "innovative" while also clinging to only popular Nintendo, Capcom, and Konami games and literally nothing else for those old systems.

In cases where a game existed on both SNES and Genesis, the SNES version was always the good version with the sole exception of Mortal Kombat. Most times the Genesis version outright sucked. Other than Moral Kombat, there's a few games that were on par, but never better than the SNES version.

Okay, to drop the humor facade for a second, I hate how people say Mortal Kombat 1 on Genesis is better than SNES because "muh violence." All that version has over the SNES version is a better soundtrack composed by the great Matt Furniss. Visually it's horrible, and it's missing sound effects even!
That being said, y'all do know that there's tons of multiplats where the Genesis version is better than the SNES and vice-versa, right? It's almost like, get this, it depended on the company developing it rather then then the system it was on. Crazy right?

Even in cases where the NES and Genesis had the same game, the NES version was superior.

Not saying that there aren't any examples of NES versions of Genesis games being better, but to say that's the norm is laughable. Go ahead and try to beat Battletoads in co-op on the NES with that game-breaking bug on Clinger-Winger. Unlike the NES you can actually beat Battletoads on the Genesis version on co-op because no such bug exists. The game is also optimized to run at the appropiate speed it was developed (the North American and Japanese NES versions were sped up accidentally.)

If we look at exclusives, most of the Genesis exclusives sucked or were mediocre at best, whereas the SNES exclusives were some of the best most iconic games of all time.

LOL
Yeah, I mean, obviously the people at Treasure, Technosoft, Vic Tokai, Compile, Wolf Team, Masaya/NCS, are just a bunch of incompetent, talent-less hacks amirite? For context, since I doubt you even know who these companies are, but they all exclusively developed for the Genesis. The only exceptions being Compile and NCS, where compile ported some of their arcade games to SNES (although it's almost universally considered that the Genesis versions of those ports are the best, IE Puyo Puyo 1 & 2, which sound and look just like the arcade but have even more modes making them the definitive versions of each game), or how NCS had a couple games also on SNES but for the most part focused on Genesis.

Hell, many of those developers made games on the system because they thought the SNES was too limiting hardware wise or they didn't want to deal with Nintendo's practices. Believe it or not, the SNES and Genesis are completely different beasts in hardware, one not better than the other. The only objective facts of what is better is that the SNES can output more colors, but the Genesis can have much more things happening on screen without sprite flicker or slowdown/lag due to its better processor.

Oh, and totally not like the RTS genre got its first game ever on the Genesis thanks to Technosoft or anything. Hell even Konami made great exclusives like Rocket Knight Adventures which is unanimously considered better than the sequels it got on the Genesis and SNES. Game Freak, aka the guys that made Pokemon made Pulseman, ever heard of that? What about Toejam & Earl which was one of the earliest games in the Rouge genre and pioneered split screen co-op?

Hell, I'm not even getting started on the first-party games developed by SEGA themselves. I'd honestly debate that back then, SEGA made more IPs than Nintendo since unlike Nintendo, Sega did sequels far less frequently then them and would constantly come up with new ideas.

Even the Genesis flagship game Sonic the Hedgehog was just mediocre at best, and actually a quite boring and overly-long game. Here Sonic can only walk and jump and do a lame spinball attack whereas Mario had all kinds of things he could do by that point. Sonic the Hedgehog can't compete with even the original Super Mario Bros, much less games like Super Mario World it was laughably trying to compete with at the time.

Blah Blah slopes and curved level design blah blah open ended exploration with multiple pathways blah blah different kind of platform games being compared is dumb blah.
I'm sorry, defending Genesis Sonic is boring regardless of how easy it is to do because no one learns anything from either side.

If you look at Sega's advertisements they are some of the cringiest aimed at try-hard wannabe "bad" kids and constantly badmouthed Nintendo. Meanwhile Nintendo's advertisements of the time just showcased awesome gameplay and didn't bother to even acknowledge the inferior existence of the Sega Genesis. They didn't need to. They could compete based on far better actually good games.
Implying all video game commercials weren't cringey or didn't try attacking their competitors

It's totally not like Nintendo did the same thing back to Sega in that same era or anything. Totally not like in things like Donkey Kong Country you see Sonic's shoes in the trash or anything.

Besides, who the hell cares about some dumb nearly 30-years old advertisments meant for 9 year olds to entice them to choose a side? Unlike the games that literally doesn't matter in this day and age.

In before a thousand Sega fanboys tell me I'm wrong and everyone else knows it's the truth.

Again, if this somehow isn't self-aware bait, I'm eating my shoe.

To be serious for a second, in regards to fanboys in general, why the hell would you choose to limit yourself to one thing as opposed to playing everything? Literally thousands of great games from the 80's and 90's, sure would suck to just limit yourself to 2 systems from 2 different console generations. But hey, what do I know? Who wants to play great undiscovered or under appreciated games that aren't apart of 30-year long running franchises anyway?

Sega fanboys

Response to Sega fanboys 2018-01-18 13:49:50

get real super nintendo made sega crumble into pieces which started sega cd and 32 s. not much to say

im so horny but thats ok my will is good

BBS Signature

Response to Sega fanboys 2018-01-18 19:58:06

At 1/18/18 01:49 PM, nevermindnirvana wrote: get real super nintendo made sega crumble into pieces which started sega cd and 32 s. not much to say

Nah man, Nintendo had nothing to do with that. Sega's own ineptitude at getting along with the Japanese division is what caused that. Really Nintendo was just a scared bystander watching as the juggernaut known as Sony violently pummeled Sega to death with the PS1 and PS2. Nintendo never beat Sega, Nintendo just survived.

Response to Sega fanboys 2018-01-18 20:50:59

At 1/17/18 06:20 PM, NeonSpider wrote:
At 1/17/18 05:39 PM, Painbringer wrote:
What about Aladdin?

Oh, and Jurassic Park.
Aladdin on Genesis and SNES are entirely different games that have zero to do with each other. Same with both Jurassic Park Genesis games, both SNES Jurassic Park games, and the NES Jurassic Park game.

Clearly, rather than trying to be the same game, these are just entirely different games and should be treated as such.

That being said, the Genesis Aladdin is a decent game. I didn't say all Genesis games sucked, just a good amount.....

:OOOOOO Jurassic Park Rampage Edition for Sega Genesis mmmmaaaaaaaaate. I cannot believe you guys are saying against such an awesome console with a TITLE like WWF WRESTLEMANIA THE ARCADE GAME :O

Response to Sega fanboys 2018-01-18 21:00:09

btw ThisIsAnAccount........come on man! Have you heard the OST of Contra Hard Corps on Sega? It sounds awesome dude!

Response to Sega fanboys 2018-01-18 21:07:31

Alright man, I guess you guys dont wanna play Mortal Kombat 2, Mortal Kombat 3, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, Sonic 1, Sonic 2, WWF Wrestlemania The Arcade Game, Comix Zone and Contra Hard Corps on Sega......................HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

Response to Sega fanboys 2018-01-18 22:13:08

At 1/18/18 09:00 PM, adit-ya-sharma wrote: btw ThisIsAnAccount........come on man! Have you heard the OST of Contra Hard Corps on Sega? It sounds awesome dude!

Huh? Never said that OST was bad. Those guys at Konami know how to make a great soundtrack! Also, WWF Wrestlemania is a very fun game too.

Response to Sega fanboys 2018-01-18 23:10:50

At 1/18/18 01:24 PM, ThisIsAnAccount wrote: Not saying that there aren't any examples of NES versions of Genesis games being better, but to say that's the norm is laughable. Go ahead and try to beat Battletoads in co-op on the NES with that game-breaking bug on Clinger-Winger. Unlike the NES you can actually beat Battletoads on the Genesis version on co-op because no such bug exists. The game is also optimized to run at the appropiate speed it was developed (the North American and Japanese NES versions were sped up accidentally.)

You're joking, right? Battletoads Genesis version sucks compared to Battletoads NES version. The graphics look awful, the sound sounds awful, and the control just doesn't feel right. Meanwhile the NES version was the classic and generally what people mean when they invoke the name Battletoads. And NES Battletoads is very beatable. I can beat it. So I don't know what you're talking about saying it's not beatable. Were you playing under emulation or a knockoff console maybe? It is one of those games you tend to actually have to play on actual official NES hardware (both console and original controller) or the timing will be off. Punch-Out is also like that.

And yes I'm saying nearly every NES game that has a Genesis port of the game, the Genesis port sucks, including Battletoads for sure. We also have Bart vs. the Space Mutants and Snake Rattle 'n Roll, mediocre and awesome NES games which convert to sucks and sucks on the Genesis.

You can give the example of Krusty's Super FunHouse which is on-par with the SNES version, which is slightly better than the NES version. But I mean it's still not better than the SNES version, only on-par.

LOL

Lol, really? How about StarFox, F-Zero, Legend of Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Kirby, Donkey Kong Country, etc etc etc all Nintendo exclusives and some of the most iconic and still widely loved series today. And on Sega what do we have that's even well-known? Sonic the Hedgehog is pretty much it. Yeah great list some obscure games. Obscure isn't iconic.

Puyo Puyo 1 & 2, which sound and look just like the arcade

Let's try this. You go out and ask random people if they've heard of Puyo Puyo. They'll probably say "what?" Now go ask if they've heard of Metroid, Donkey Kong Country, Legend of Zelda, etc... You'll likely get "sure have!". So your claim is that Puyo Puyo is iconic? Weird definition of iconic you have there. Sega has Sonic the Hedgehog and that's pretty much it.

Toejam & Earl which was one of the earliest games in the Rouge genre and pioneered split screen co-op?

I didn't say every single Genesis game was awful. Just that, taken as a whole, the games were sub-par compared with SNES or NES. You can cherry-pick and have some good Genesis games, sure, but difference is you'd have to cherry-pick the bad SNES games.

Blah Blah slopes and curved level design blah blah open ended exploration with multiple pathways blah blah different kind of platform games being compared is dumb blah.
I'm sorry, defending Genesis Sonic is boring regardless of how easy it is to do because no one learns anything from either side.

Except the majority of "playing" Sonic the Hedgehog you're not even playing the game you're just watching him flip around. The levels take up to ten minutes each as well. And there's a lot of them. This translates to a very boring overly-long playing experience.

Besides, who the hell cares about some dumb nearly 30-years old advertisments meant for 9 year olds to entice them to choose a side? Unlike the games that literally doesn't matter in this day and age.

It's the only reason people bought Sega Genesis or the games in the first place. They were the "edgy" try-hard kids back in the day. The wannabe "bad" kids who weren't really bad but just thought it was cool to be "bad". I mean seriously look how Sonic was always advertised. And why was that? Because the commercials appealed to that group of kids and that tended to be the kids who had the Genesis.

To be serious for a second, in regards to fanboys in general, why the hell would you choose to limit yourself to one thing as opposed to playing everything? Literally thousands of great games from the 80's and 90's, sure would suck to just limit yourself to 2 systems from 2 different console generations. But hey, what do I know? Who wants to play great undiscovered or under appreciated games that aren't apart of 30-year long running franchises anyway?

I don't limit myself to one or a couple consoles. I'm just saying maybe 90% of games for the SNES are great versus maybe only 5% of Genesis games being so. Sure, I can list some great Genesis games, but I'll have to cherry-pick. And I can list some horrible SNES games, but I'll have to cherry-pick. If we look at "the average game" SNES came out ahead.

You want some great Genesis games? Shining Force, Comix Zone, The Ooze, Kid Chameleon. I didn't say they didn't exist. But give me a random Genesis game or a random SNES game and I'll take the SNES game any day.

Response to Sega fanboys 2018-01-18 23:13:26

At 1/16/18 10:40 PM, NeonSpider wrote: If we look at exclusives, most of the Genesis exclusives sucked or were mediocre at best, whereas the SNES exclusives were some of the best most iconic games of all time.

I loved Sonic the Hedgehog for SNES!

Noggleton is so cool lol

BBS Signature

Response to Sega fanboys 2018-01-18 23:24:32

To leave an honest post, I was not fortunate enough to experience the SNES in its heyday. I did however get an N64 for Christmas and the rest was history. I loved OoT as much as the next fanboy, but I would have loved to been introduced to music before video games.

The first game I ever saw was DK Country on SNES. Not only that, but I got to see the best part of the game (Mine shaft cart level) and fail on my turn. I was like 4 lol. Any who, music and video games are awesome, and so is this thread

Noggleton is so cool lol

BBS Signature

Response to Sega fanboys 2018-01-19 05:51:20

At 1/18/18 07:58 PM, ThisIsAnAccount wrote:
At 1/18/18 01:49 PM, nevermindnirvana wrote:
Really Nintendo was just a scared bystander watching as the juggernaut known as Sony violently pummeled Sega to death with the PS1 and PS2. Nintendo never beat Sega, Nintendo just survived.

respect the retro. modern games aint got shit compared to super nintendo

im so horny but thats ok my will is good

BBS Signature

Response to Sega fanboys 2018-01-19 07:35:35

Feel kinda weird that the most active thread in the VG forum just now is a discussion that people were having 20+ years ago.

Admittedly, I probably do prefer my SNES over my Mega Drive. Just looking at the games on the shelf behind me, Castlevania IV, A Link to the Past, Mega Man X, ShadowRun, Super Metroid and Super Probotector (Contra 4) are all games that I think highly of. I think I'd struggle to come up with that many great games for the Mega Drive without having to look them up.

The Story of Thor (or Beyond Oasis, for you Americans who get offended by old Norse god names in game titles) is one of the Mega Drive games that I remember thinking was pretty fantastic. It's almost like the Mega Drives competition for LttP but just isn't on the same level. It does have some amazing visuals and a more interesting combat system, in my opinion, but just doesn't quite have enough for me to like it more than Zelda. Castlevania: The New Generation (or Bloodlines, for you Americans who don't get offended by having "blood" in a game title) is another good Mega Drive game I have, but even it is competing with Castlevania IV on SNES, and I think I prefer IV.

I realise that some people like being seen as a "Nintendo guy" or as a "Sega guy", but I don't quite see the point. As someone already pointed out in this thread, you're limiting yourself if you are choosing to be stubborn about brand loyalty. Regardless of which system is better, they both have good games that are worth checking out.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to Sega fanboys 2018-01-19 14:32:41

@NeonSpider, Wow, you seem much more mature then the last time you defended sega.. -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsbGh8HPkMY

BBS Signature

Response to Sega fanboys 2018-01-19 14:51:31

I've said this I don't know how many times.

Sega was their own problem. The put out so MANY bad games and systems after genesis that most people lost faith in them when dreamcast came out and they finally got it right. Of course, this is during the PS1 and N64 era as well.

But cmon, you had to admit, the dreamcast was a great a system and ALOT of great games.

NG Review Moderator // Pm me for Review Abuse

BBS Signature

Response to Sega fanboys 2018-01-19 16:13:43

I feel like this thread is in a time warp in so many ways, and we’re basically arguing like kids in the early 90’s over which is better. I guess it makes sense considering I would imagine everyone has grown up in the 90’s. (That is ignoring how the PlayStation blew by them both by the late 90’s, but whatever.)

At 1/19/18 02:51 PM, kidray76 wrote: But cmon, you had to admit, the dreamcast was a great a system and ALOT of great games.

The saddest thing about the Dreamcast is while it was certainly ahead of it time in a lot of ways, it quickly fall behind once the PS2/Xbox/GameCube was released. Also, they might be better as a third party publisher/developer than they were as a console developer, (Sonic notwithstanding) when they don’t get in their own way with marketing at least.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Sega fanboys 2018-01-21 17:42:13

Ah, i see.... Another uneducated unsophisticated unapproved unbelievable uncanny uncivilized Nintendo fanboy. Such a low IQ mouth breathing neanderthal that can't grasp the genius concept and magic of Blast Processing. You do not have the necessary intelligence to comprehend how much of an advantage the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive has over the Super Nintendo or any console to grace the land of Mother Earth. Blast Processing is beyond your level of understanding. It far exceeds your narrow minded reality. There's Nintendo vomit on your sweater already, Sega's Spaghetti.

Sega fanboys

Response to Sega fanboys 2018-01-24 00:52:34

Yeah it was not the best but it did produce some great games including Sonic games and some fun taxi game

~X~

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

[] The Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] COMIC >> WAYNES WORLD

BBS Signature

Response to Sega fanboys 2018-01-24 16:55:02

Remind me again which console had blast processing?
Which one was region-locked with most of the good games not getting a worldwide release?
Which one used actual cases and not shitty disposable cardboard boxes?

That's what I thought, you fuckin' loser. GET REAL. Enjoy your baby games. Maybe you can sit with the big boys some day, we might even let you play the non-pussy version of Mortal Kombat. Tho it's probably too much for your puny infantilized brain to handle after all those children's games the big N have been feeding you in your little emotional bubble, so don't get your hopes up.

Blow my cartridge you god damn lame-o. I'll be over here doing what Nintendon't.

Response to Sega fanboys 2018-01-24 19:39:22

At 1/24/18 04:55 PM, Jackho wrote: Remind me again which console had blast processing?
Which one was region-locked with most of the good games not getting a worldwide release?
Which one used actual cases and not shitty disposable cardboard boxes?

That's what I thought, you fuckin' loser. GET REAL. Enjoy your baby games. Maybe you can sit with the big boys some day, we might even let you play the non-pussy version of Mortal Kombat. Tho it's probably too much for your puny infantilized brain to handle after all those children's games the big N have been feeding you in your little emotional bubble, so don't get your hopes up.

Blow my cartridge you god damn lame-o. I'll be over here doing what Nintendon't.

Perfect example. Sega was always about the marketing gimmicks rather than the gaming.

"Blast processing"? Marketing gimmick. There's actually no such thing. Or rather, it's defined precisely how Sega defined it and it's not any sort of industry-standard term. So if you want to be technical, it exists, but as purely a semantic invention on Sega's part. I can say a system has "Fart processing" and then define that to mean whatever I want. It doesn't mean a thing.

I can agree region-lock can suck, but most media is region-locked in some way, primarily so the company can sell cheaper to poorer countries. Most movies are region-locked for example. Yes, some aren't. Besides, there were workarounds on the NES and there were many third party unlicensed NES games that used various workarounds. You also could get a top-loader NES and have no region lock, or you could very easily mod your NES to remove the region lock functionality.

Face it. Nintendo systems had better games than the Sega Genesis, which just had lots and lots and lots of extremely mediocre and worse games. Nintendo had better exclusives. And in the cases of a game existing on both systems, with the exception of Mortal Kombat, the Nintendo system had the better game unless in the rare cases the Genesis managed to be on par (but not better than).

About the cartridge-blowing thing. If you'd keep your games clean you wouldn't ever need to do that. Of course if you were stupid and tossed them about the floor, never used the sleeves, and just put any old game in your NES, even very dirty games, and never cleaned your games or your console, then yes pretty soon your games would have trouble playing. The same would be true on any cartridge-based system though. You do that with your Genesis and you'll have a hard time playing games as well.

Part of the problem was renting games that someone probably kept in their crusty underwear and not bothering to clean the connectors before putting that thing in your NES. I guarantee if you only ever used games you owned and had obtained new and kept them in good condition, no problems ever. Otherwise, clean a used game first before sticking it in there. There were cleaning kits sold for this very purpose. ALSO for the Sega Genesis! It (nor any console system) is not immune. You just may have encountered the problem more on NES due to the system had been out longer and you were probably renting older games that had been grimed up by more people over a longer time, and who had less than sufficient hygiene.

Response to Sega fanboys 2018-01-25 00:21:50

At 1/24/18 07:39 PM, NeonSpider wrote:
At 1/24/18 04:55 PM, Jackho wrote: Blah blah blah
Long well thought-out post.

This has to be a parody, there's no way someone could think blast processing is an actual thing.
And who the hell says "Ninendon't"?

Response to Sega fanboys 2018-01-25 02:30:04

At 1/25/18 12:21 AM, DanielTheManiel wrote:
At 1/24/18 07:39 PM, NeonSpider wrote:
At 1/24/18 04:55 PM, Jackho wrote: Blah blah blah
Long well thought-out post.
This has to be a parody, there's no way someone could think blast processing is an actual thing.

i get you @Jackho. the Sega Genesis had a little game called Sewer Shark, a game so hardcore it needed a whole different format to contain it - that's right you cross-eyed weasels, the CD ROM. it had FMV's like no one else had at the time, real actors, real cutscenes, not that phoney-balogne in-game engine cutscene crap. oh, and i almost forgot to mention the Sega CD Power Rangers game, where you basically watched an episode of Power Rangers by pushing buttons at the right time. i know that might be a little too edgey for you Nintendo fans out there, but don't worry - we've got a couple baby games for you to play with. not many though, the Genesis doesn't have time for that weak bullshit, little kid games can't survive the Blast Processing, they just get chewed up and spit out. pah! tastes like Nintendick.

Newest track: Savant - Upbeat Melodic Metal - Frontpaged!

BBS Signature

Response to Sega fanboys 2018-02-02 13:10:01

At 2/2/18 10:59 AM, mysticvortex13 wrote:
At 1/25/18 12:21 AM, DanielTheManiel wrote:
coined by yours truly on an occasion when I was shocked that they suddenly changed to motion controls.. the wiimote was a new attempt at the power glove.. the power glove was a disaster.. why would they repeat past tragedies?

Funnily enough I've been playing a game on the wii a lot recently.
And I'm not going to say that the Wiimote is good or even not bad but it's easier to use once you get used to it.

Isn't everything easier one you get used to it though?

Response to Sega fanboys 2018-02-02 13:50:34

At 2/2/18 10:59 AM, mysticvortex13 wrote: coined by yours truly on an occasion when I was shocked that they suddenly changed to motion controls.. the wiimote was a new attempt at the power glove.. the power glove was a disaster.. why would they repeat past tragedies?

Because technologies change as time goes on and ideas that once only existed as tech demos or a cheap, broken gimmick can be iterated on and better executed. What if people stopped designing games with real-time 3D because the early ones looked and ran like shit? What if online functionality was abandoned early on because too few people had access to good internet? What if people had stopped working on VR technology? The Wiimote was a massive marketing success that, when implemented well, made for some interesting and creative games. Plus you're seeing a lot of the steps taken to improve motion controls with the Wii showing up again in the the new VR tech in ways that are showing up in games as well as potential use in commercial applications. I'd be hard pressed to defend Nintendo's inconsistent messaging and ability to follow up on the initial interest in the Wii, but that doesn't mean it wasn't worth trying to innovate in a different direction.

Oh and congrats on being the first person to use the term Nintendon't :/

Happy with what you have to be happy with

you have to be happy with what you have

to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature

Response to Sega fanboys 2018-02-02 15:57:29 (edited 2018-02-02 15:58:34)

At 2/2/18 03:11 PM, mysticvortex13 wrote:
At 2/2/18 01:50 PM, Jercurpac wrote:
Because technologies change as time goes on and ideas that once only existed as tech demos or a cheap, broken gimmick can be iterated on and better executed.
What if people stopped designing games with real-time 3D because the early ones looked and ran like shit?
I won't pretend to know what you're talking about here..

if online functionality was abandoned early on because too few people had access to good internet?
then there would be only local multiplayer I suppose.. it's no loss to me personally since I only did single player games.

if people had stopped working on VR technology?
the world would be a better place.. i'd really rather they didn't try to make people feel the pain their characters felt.. people are supposed to feel invincible in fiction..

The point isn't that these are things that you personally need to like or find worth in. They are all technologies that have existed in an infant state that was not really impressive for anyone, but were iterated on and improved over time. I think it's fine that companies work on and bring back tech that may have failed at one point to try and find it a place. Do I always like the results? Of course not, but being dismissive isn't the right attitude to have.

the same direction it's always been actually.. it's a cyclical tragedy.. not innovative at all..

But that's what technology is. Incremental iterations on existing ideas.

Oh and congrats on being the first person to use the term Nintendon't :/
it's nothing special...

What I meant by that was...you know, nevermind.

Happy with what you have to be happy with

you have to be happy with what you have

to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature

Response to Sega fanboys 2018-02-09 06:55:34

Don't think I've ever actually tried a Sega console, but I'm tempted to get the Dreamcast some day. Just because it seems like the most ill-timed and underrated one ever. Some interesting exclusives too, like Shenmue ...

The latest: Hexa #95 (Mar)

BBS Signature