00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

sereneFalconer just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

how to begin

416 Views | 4 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

how to begin 2018-01-16 19:53:20

Hello everyone, I am interested in learning animation and illustration and not sure where to begin. I am learning some illustration and i know some flash but I would like to get some kind of job in this field, whether it is in animation or even graphic design. Is it worth going to college or should i just use youtube and some online courses.

My question is basically what route did you take to get where you are now and do you do it for a living or just a hobby.

side note, I have started college in game design but did not like programming in many of the languages but found myself to like stuff like flash, photoshop , html and css. also im not worried about income from a career of this path

Response to how to begin 2018-01-17 22:59:13

At 1/16/18 07:53 PM, RedSunsFinest wrote: Hello everyone, I am interested in learning animation and illustration and not sure where to begin. I am learning some illustration and i know some flash but I would like to get some kind of job in this field, whether it is in animation or even graphic design. Is it worth going to college or should i just use youtube and some online courses.

My question is basically what route did you take to get where you are now and do you do it for a living or just a hobby.

side note, I have started college in game design but did not like programming in many of the languages but found myself to like stuff like flash, photoshop , html and css. also im not worried about income from a career of this path

drawabox.com
Pick up some books like Andrew Loomis' figure drawing or the Animator's Survival Kit, watch some proko and get your illustration skills down packed.
I only do this stuff for a hobby and I don't see myself doing much else, so employment wise, I'm not much help

Response to how to begin 2018-01-18 17:07:15

thank you, I think those sites will help a lot.

Response to how to begin 2018-01-25 19:00:06

At 1/16/18 07:53 PM, RedSunsFinest wrote: Hello everyone, I am interested in learning animation and illustration and not sure where to begin. I am learning some illustration and i know some flash but I would like to get some kind of job in this field, whether it is in animation or even graphic design. Is it worth going to college or should i just use youtube and some online courses.

I studied everything I did starting from watching old cartoons, and breaking down the animation... Youtube has a whole lot of resources for learning animation. I do not have a job in animation at the moment, but planning on keeping at it till I get better at what I do and go from there. So my advice, get a day job and stay up late working on fundamentals of Drawing and Animating

Response to how to begin 2018-01-27 04:49:20

Learn from the best, and learn proper construction:

http://johnkcurriculum.blogspot.ca/2009/12/preston-blair-lessons-fundamentals-of.html
https://animationresources.org/drawing-100k-animation-drawing-course-01-construction-the-head/

Animationresources is also an excellent resource and treasure trove for classic animation references.

And you should get "The Animator's Survival Kit", of course. The expanded edition.