00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

cosoden just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Dark Souls Remastered

1,300 Views | 15 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Dark Souls Remastered 2018-01-13 20:21:26

So this was announced a couple days back. Coming May 25.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2018/01/11/dark-souls-remastered-is-more-than-just-a-new-coat-of-paint/#12c43f182124

Here's some changes so far:

-The password matchmaking system from Dark Souls III is being implemented
-Up to six players can be in the same online instance at once, either in PvE or PvP, up from 4 players
-The game will use dedicated servers rather than peer-to-peer
-It might use DSIII's engine
-It wont support HDR and might not use new assets

Here are the resolutions for each platform it's releasing on:

Xbox One - 1080p, 60 fps
Xbox One X - upscaled 4K, 60 fps)
PlayStation 4 - 1080p, 60 fps
PlayStation 4 Pro - upscaled 4K, 60 fps
PC - native 4K, all textures 2K unconverted, 60 fps
Nintendo Switch - TV mode: 1080p, 30 fps; Handheld mode: 720p 30 fps

Thoughts?
What do you hope is changed or added?
How about handheld Dark Souls tho??

Response to Dark Souls Remastered 2018-01-14 04:31:06

I'm glad it's coming out, it's something most souls fan have been wanting for a long while. But of course I am trying reel in some of my excitement so I don't get dissapointed. I think some fans might get the wrong impression and think that stuff that was cut from the original game will be put into this remastered version, something I don't know is true or not but I highly doubt they would do. Revamping the graphics and all that is work enough and redoing and reimplamenting new/old things might be overdoing considering they're also working on another project so I doubt this is more than an update in graphics, a few techincal fixes and MAYBE just maybe tweking the combat a little bit if they use the ds3 engine whichI don't think is confirmed nor denied.

I will probably not get it until I have seen other people play it as I rather not just buy Dark Souls (but look at dem graphics!) again. Since I already own Dark Souls and if I want to play Dark Souls I can already do it without having to pay for what I expect to be is the standard price of video games these days.

This is where I wrote something funny

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls Remastered 2018-01-15 18:32:59 (edited 2018-01-15 18:33:18)

Good for people like me.
I played Bloodborne first (being standalone) and i loved it.
So i want to play the whole Souls saga, and a better version of the first episode would be perfect for me.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls Remastered 2018-01-15 23:55:56

i've been looking forward to this announcement for a long time. since every previous gen game is getting a remaster on current gen consoles, i knew Dark Souls would get around to it at some point.

i just hope they don't change too much, if anything. even if DaS is a flawed and incomplete game, i think it's best to preserve the game faithfully and only make quality of life improvement.

it's gonna be fun having a fresh online community for the game again.

and by the way, looks like the Switch isn't up to snuff for 60fps, which is just confirmation to me that it's a gimmick console just like the wii and wii u, both of which were very underpowered and couldn't handle the latest games of the time.

Newest track: Savant - Upbeat Melodic Metal - Frontpaged!

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls Remastered 2018-01-16 06:25:24

At 1/15/18 11:55 PM, Ultramartyr wrote: and by the way, looks like the Switch isn't up to snuff for 60fps, which is just confirmation to me that it's a gimmick console just like the wii and wii u, both of which were very underpowered and couldn't handle the latest games of the time.

The fact it can run games like these handheld is amazing, they don't need to be 1080p 60fps. 720p/900p looks great on the small screen.

さあ時の扉を開けて行こうよ

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls Remastered 2018-01-16 12:27:49 (edited 2018-01-16 12:29:58)

As long as I'm able to replay one of my favorite games of all time but with better quality... Sign me up. Simple as that.
I doubt the remaster will be free for people that own the game already. (PC specifically)
I can imagine having to "repurchase" the game though; the same thing people had to do if they wanted Prepare to Die or Scholar of the First Sin

"Throw it at him not me!"

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls Remastered 2018-01-16 21:14:27

At 1/16/18 06:25 AM, simon wrote:
At 1/15/18 11:55 PM, Ultramartyr wrote: and by the way, looks like the Switch isn't up to snuff for 60fps, which is just confirmation to me that it's a gimmick console just like the wii and wii u, both of which were very underpowered and couldn't handle the latest games of the time.
The fact it can run games like these handheld is amazing, they don't need to be 1080p 60fps. 720p/900p looks great on the small screen.

that's fine as a handheld, but as a home console, not being able to pump out 60fps is pretty detrimental, seeing as it's the only major gaming platform on the market (including pc) that's unable to. if you play the dark souls remaster on the switch, you're going to get an objectively inferior version to anyone else.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls Remastered 2018-01-16 21:44:55

Know what Dark Souls Remastered needs?

Better backstabs for clubs and such.

I carry your heart. I carry it in my heart.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls Remastered 2018-01-17 07:15:52

I am so ready for the remaster! I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the trailer I nearly shat myself. My days of quietly wishing for the remaster are over and now I can't sleep at night.

Good morning, sweet prince.

Noggleton is so cool lol

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls Remastered 2018-01-18 02:57:14

At 1/16/18 09:44 PM, Ghoti wrote: Know what Dark Souls Remastered needs?

Better backstabs for clubs and such.

it needs to get rid of backstabs entirely, it was a system designed for stealth kills but was easily exploited to trivialize a lot of enemies. black and silver knights should pretty difficult enemies, but it's so fuckin easy to backstab them, they become a joke.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls Remastered 2018-01-18 13:34:06

At 1/18/18 02:57 AM, Ultramartyr wrote: it needs to get rid of backstabs entirely,

*gasp*

But backstabs are crucial to the Soulsborne series. Them and ripostes keep the combat interesting.

Although Nioh doesn't have them so far.

I carry your heart. I carry it in my heart.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls Remastered 2018-01-18 23:08:23

I just want to reiterate how excited I am to see this. I may even upgrade my PC and get a 4K! WOO!

Noggleton is so cool lol

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls Remastered 2018-01-19 00:03:13

GiantDad will return, and I hope Gravelording is not going to be retarded

I HДVЗИ'T ЭДTЗЙ SLICЭD ЬЯЗДD SIИCЭ I ШДS TЩЗLVЭ

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls Remastered 2018-01-19 02:10:55

At 1/18/18 01:34 PM, Ghoti wrote:
At 1/18/18 02:57 AM, Ultramartyr wrote: it needs to get rid of backstabs entirely,
*gasp*

But backstabs are crucial to the Soulsborne series. Them and ripostes keep the combat interesting.

i couldn't disagree more. in PVE, enemies aren't smart enough to keep their backs away from you. you can cheese most human-size enemies by just chaining backstabs. backstab, swing around to the back while they get up, and repeat. it's ridiculous. in DaS1 it's especially bad because enemies are nice and slow for the most part, and won't autotrack you after swinging like in DaS2. so you can bait a swing, hop right around them and get that nice easy backstab. fucking SNOOORRRE.

and parry's are even worse! it's a shit system that should have been fixed or disposed of after Demon's Souls. it allows people to walk around naked with a tiny parrying shield or dagger and a huge club in the other hand and just stand there while you attack, but OH! i knocked away your weapon, which renders you completely helpless! now watch as i two-hand my great club and take 90% of your health in one hit. man, that sounds like a fun mechanic, don't it? it's nothing you can predict, because the parry animation is much faster than an attack animation, so you're being punished for doing nothing wrong. garbage!

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls Remastered 2018-01-19 11:09:13

Its good for me cuz I have a ps4 and a switch, and never played the original

There's an ugly chimpanzee in my bathroom and won't stop yelling the f word

Response to Dark Souls Remastered 2018-01-19 22:58:42

At 1/18/18 01:34 PM, Ghoti wrote: Although Nioh doesn't have them so far.

Nioh is a different beast and just as good as any souls game if not more difficult

Noggleton is so cool lol

BBS Signature